3.6379 GPA, 29Q MCAT - Chances and where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nurseman77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a nursing major going to a public university in Michigan.

I have a 3.6379 cumulative GPA.
Physical Sciences - 11
Biology - 10
Verbal - 8
Total: 29Q MCAT

For my extracurricular activities, I have two volunteer experiences (one with roughly 200 hours in a hospital) and another that I did regularly but no count on the hours. I have received two scholarships. I have a job on there as well that I held for a year and ended up leaving on good terms (meaning I left because I had other things I had to take care of). I am also in a Fraternity (I'm not the partying type. Just had some friends in there).
Question: Should I include a list of my nursing clinicals in my work/activities?

I have pretty good letters of recommendation as well. All individual letters from either clinical instructors, bosses, or science professors.

I have completed almost all the courses required by medical schools except for a few labs. I am taking those next semester, so I should have them done if I get accepted. I have also met all the requirements for my degree, but did not graduate because the tuition "doubles" per credit when you graduate and try to take more credits - therefore, I am trying to save money.

So where do you guys think I should apply and what kind of chances do I got? I have a few schools that I am VERY interested in around here, but I am curious what you guys think.

I am open minded about any tips, advice, comments, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

One would not list nursing clinicals in the Experiences section as they are already on the transcript and can be viewed there.

You have a reasonable amount of clinical experience, but you don't mention physician shadowing, research, leadership, teaching, or nonmedical community service. Do you have any of that?

If you have a reasonable number of the expected activities, with your stats, you'd probably apply to MSU, Oakland, and the excellent DO school that's in-state. Also maybe Commonwealth in PA, EVMS, MUSC, and Tulane. I'd add at least another 5 DO schools as well.

You might consider retaking the MCAT if you want additional realistic choices among the allopathic schools.

Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate the help!

Yeah, it just doesn't show where I did the clinicals at. I figured it might be alright to tell them where I had my rotations at and what kind of floors I worked on since each nursing programs differs from one another.

We'll see how things go. Hopefully I get lucky!!