3.65 cGPA, 511 MCAT, WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phenylalamean

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
App cycle this year not looking too great and will probably need to re-apply this coming cycle. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Still trying to understand my weaknesses and why I had an unsuccessful app cycle this year.

Year in school: Graduated May 2019
Country/state of residence: Indiana
URM (y/n): N, white

Cumulative GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.60
Cumulative GPA Trend: Pretty consistent, no major changes up or down
MCAT Scores: 499 --> 511 (127,127,127,130)

Schools to which you are applying:

Indiana, Colorado Anschutz (family connections to CO), Loyola Chicago, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, Temple, Sidney Kimmel, Creighton, Medical College of Wisconsin, George Washington, Georgetown, Cincinnati, and USC Keck.

Research: About 2000 hours in a biochem/structural bio lab - 2 posters/presentations, senior honors thesis, no pubs :(

400 hours in a pediatric oncology lab for NIH SIP - one presentation, no pubs

Physician shadowing: 15 hours in undergrad (Ortho, Optho, and Peds), 100 hours of Urology since graduating.

Volunteering (clinical): 50 hours at ER.

Volunteering (non-clinical): 700 hours in my university's orientation program, held a big leadership role

100 hours teaching elementary school children about healthy lifestyle choices during after school programs, was a program started by IUSM. Held a leadership position in that as well.

Teaching/Mentoring: Computer Science TA for one semester and a Biochem TA for two years. I had extensive mentorship experience through my leadership position in my university's orientation program.

Extracurricular activities: Ambassador for incoming biology students, involved in fraternity recruitment for 3 years. Did not include either of these in my activities page on my last AMCAS, probably won't again.

Paid Employment: I am a scribe for a Urology group and also in the ED this year for my Gap year job.

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): N
Specialty of interest: None

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Still trying to come to terms with probably not matriculating this year. Definitely a huge bummer but I'm trying to look on the positive side of things. I know how hard it can be to get into med school these days!

Members don't see this ad.

USC Keck and Cincinnati (they give some instate preference) are not realistic with your stats. I suggest adding these schools:
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools and include MU-COM and CCOM.

Reactions: 1 user