MD 3.65 GPA 3.7 sGPA 32 MCAT (11,10,11) What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gimmedat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't retake a 32...apply broadly, write strong supplementary apps, submit EARLY...you cannot be choosy on med schools, though your chances of staying IS are pretty solid.

(seriously, don't retake though, unless you get rejected everywhere and are consistently scoring 36+)

Thanks for your reply. Race is asian btw.

To be quite honest, the mental hurdle to get back to studying all over again for the MCAT at the moment seems kind of too hard for me to surpass. I gave it a good shot the first time around hoping to not have to take it a second time. But after receiving my score I get so disappointed every time I think about it because I KNOW I can do better than a 32, not that I'm taking that score for granted. I know I'm lucky to have gotten that. But if I'm confident I can raise my score by at least a couple points the second time around, is it still not worth it?

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be foolish, if not an act of outright hubris, to re-take the MCAT with a score of 32, which is an excellent score. Your GPAs and MCAT make you a very competitive candidate for all IL schools, except maybe SIU, which takes only downstate people.

I'm an Illinois resident, hoping to stay in state. 3.65 cum 3.7 science GPA and 32 MCAT with 11 on BS and PS and 10 on verbal. I'm an economics major, and looking to stay in state for med school. My extra-curriculars are average. What are my chances of getting into an MD school (Rush, Loyola, UIC, SIU) with my stats?

Should I consider re-taking the MCAT? I was averaging 34-35 topping out at a 37 on practice tests so needless to say I was disappointed at my 32, but not sure if it's worth re-taking it.

Believe me, retaking is the last thing I wanna do. But that seems like an outright no for retaking, which is a sigh of relief. Thank you for the responses so far.

if u just want to get into a med school, then don't retake. Otherwise, it depends on your goals, but id suggest just applying.

then dont retake. Last thing u wanna do is feed the aamc beast another 300 dollars to get mindraped for 4 hours.