3.67 cGPA, 3.63 sGPA, recently graduated, any, ANY recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnny11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looking pretty good, score a 32+ on your MCAT and you will have a great chance at those Cali schools. Might I ask why are you taking the MCAT so late? Were you originally pursuing something other than medicine?

From what I've seen, California state schools are very selective. I wouldn't pin hopes on an acceptance in your home state unless you have a very strong performance on the MCAT. California schools may be pickier than most about community college credits (I suggest you check on that). Additionally, you did not get As in the recent upper-level science classes you took, and a recent downward grade trend may raise questions about the rigor of any science classes you got As in during your community college years, and also about your ability to perform well in the science-intense environment of a med school.

Hopefully, you are willing to apply more broadly to schools outside your home state, as your current GPA would be considered more competitive elsewhere.

Recommendations; definitely get in a research experience, as more schools will consider you with it on your application. You only have one year of clinical experience so you certainly need more, perhaps in another venue, like a hospital or clinic. When you meet doctors, ask them for shadowing opportunities. You need leadership experience, so start thinking how you'll do that. Perhaps the basketball club would qualify, depending on the degree of organizing it required. My last suggestion is that you need to improve your written English. Is English your second language? Consider reading the New Yorker magazine, Wall Street Journal, or other good writing to help you improve your usage before you take the MCAT (which has a written section). Be sure to take many practice MCAT tests before the real thing, assuring that you repeatedly score in your target zone, especially on the Verbal Section.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with mobius on everything except for reading. practise by writing essays ask QUALIFIED people i.e. a professor to read them and make improvements on their suggestions. apply to OOS friendly schools such as Albany, VCU, MCW, Rosalind Franklin, loyola, vermont. good luck! oh yeah and study for the MCAT, you can easily do well if you study for it.