3.67 GPA and 3.7 sGPA what is my chance??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfwolf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm planning to apply next year 2012. I would like to know how I am doing towards my application.

Here is my stats:

CC: GPA 3.82
University:3.67 GPA with 3.70 sGPA.
Upward trend on grades. A couple Bs in the first 2 quarters and all As until today (3 quarters straight)
Expected GPA at graduation: 3.75
MCAT: 29Q (12PS,11BIO,6VR)
CA resident

-Neurology research for 2 quarters so far. Applying for excellence in research (honor) next year.
-ER volunteering for 110 hours so far for about 9 months
-Shadowing of 2 clinical professors from university (one neurology and one geriatrics) for 16 hours each.
-Vice president of a culture club for 1 year. Officer of this club for 1 year.
-School table tennis team member for 2 years
-Scholarship recipient of biological science in community college
-1.5 years of chem, bio and math tutoring in community college
-Private tutor for 2.5 years

Planning to become a tutor in university next year.

How should I improve my chance?? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks so much!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT: 29Q (12PS,11BIO,6VR)
CA resident
These two things will be very tough to overcome. Why did you get a 6 on verbal? Is English your primary language? Most MD schools will not even look at the rest of your app with a 6

CA is a hard state to be a resident of as far as admissions goes (I'm in the same boat). The state schools are very unforgiving

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm....I'll retake it next January.

I was born in Hong Kong and I've been to the state for about 4 years.

What VB score do you guys think I should get in order to become competitive in CA schools? (like UCI)

Thanks so much!

Hmm....I'll retake it next January.

I was born in Hong Kong and I've been to the state for about 4 years.

What VB score do you guys think I should get in order to become competitive in CA schools? (like UCI)

Thanks so much!
The 10th percentile at UCI is an 8, so I would say an 8 or above on verbal would give you a much better shot. (UC-Davis is the same, and, FWIW, UCLA and UCSD are also 8, with UCSF a 9)

The 10th percentile at UCI is an 8, so I would say an 8 or above on verbal would give you a much better shot. (UC-Davis is the same, and, FWIW, UCLA and UCSD are also 8, with UCSF a 9)

WOW your reply is fast!

I guess I need to read more and take more strategy for verbal.

Assuming I can get VB 8, BS 11 and PS 12 which is 31 in total, what others things do you guys suggest me to do? FOr example, more ECs?

BTW, where did you get those stats?

With a VS of 6, your chances at any US MD school are iffy. For a decent chance, retake the MCAT. Look for threads about improving VS in the MCAT Discussions Forum.

OTOH, your chances at a DO acceptance would be pretty fair with the same numbers.

Let me go check them out soon. Thanks for your help.

Do you recommend any materials specifically?

Thanks Catalystik! You are very very helpful:)

Now I have a clear direction to work on.

BTW how is my ECs so far? What should I do to improve?

-Neurology research for 2 quarters so far. Applying for excellence in research (honor) next year.
-ER volunteering for 110 hours so far for about 9 months
-Shadowing of 2 clinical professors from university (one neurology and one geriatrics) for 16 hours each.
-Vice president of a culture club for 1 year. Officer of this club for 1 year.
-School table tennis team member for 2 years
-Scholarship recipient of biological science in community college
-1.5 years of chem, bio and math tutoring in community college
-Private tutor for 2.5 years

Planning to become a tutor in university next year.
Keep up the research, volunteering, and involvement in club leadership. Can you explain a little more about what your shadowing involved? Did you observe patient-doctor (MD or DO) interaction? Or did you just watch a professor perform a research study?

You probably want to shadow a primary care doctor. I wonder if geriatrics counts? Maybe Catalystik can clear that up. You would think that it might count since pediatrics counts, but I don't know. I've heard that pediatrics, family medicine, internal medicine, and OB/GYN are all beneficial since you observe primary care.
The tutoring looks good to me

Thanks for your response.

During shadowing, I actually followed the doctors in their clinic to see patients. I sat quietly near the doctor and the patient to observe. It's not in a lab or something like that but its in a clinic.

Geriatrics looks like a primary care one but let's wait for Catalysik to clear it up.

Do you guys know how much shadowing I might need?