3.7 sGPA, 3.8 cGPA but Poor SMP 2.8 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bataaduck

Reaction score
I'm applying to 29 MD schools this cycle. I have all the hours and unique experiences. I have a 3.8 uGPA and 3.7 sGPA but I joined a SMP program and had a family member die my first semester causing me to have two Cs. I've never gotten a C before in all my academic education. The next semester was better with As and Bs no Cs. I will retake those two classes this fall to get As in them and a cumulative GPA of 3.0. My MCAT last year was 496 and this year 508 (125/125/129/129). So it's a 12-point increase. Do I have the slightest chance or is it over for me due to one bad semester?

Here is a list of my schools please let me know if there is any more I should add.
VCU
EVMS
University of Arizona Tuscan
Georgetown University School of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Morehouse School of Medicine
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Loyola University Chicago Stritch
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University
Tulane University School of Medicine
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Creighton University School of Medicine
Albany Medical College
State University of New York Upstate Medical University Alan and Marlene Norton College of Medicine
Ohio State University
Northeast Ohio Medical University
The University of Toledo
Penn State College of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
West Virginia University
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin
Tufts University School of Medicine
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University

Members don't see this ad.

I may also add that since the SMP did not have a degree or thesis, it did not affect my uGPA.

Where is your state of residence ? Do you have any physician shadowing, clinical or non clinical volunteering hours ?

Members don't see this ad :)
It should be stated with a 3.8 uGPA, 3.7 SCI GPA, that an SMP was not necessary. By getting those C's, even though it was for other circumstances, you put a big dent in your application profile. I'm going to hope your program letter will explain the situation. Yes, this could offset the benefit of a 12 point gain in your MCAT (given what you had). Why didn't you take a leave?

BTW, SMPs do not affect undergrad GPA, but it is set aside as a grad GPA.

What advice have you gotten from your program director?

Reactions: 1 user
By not taking an LOA (if possible), this puts your judgement in question.

And why did you take a SMP? Because of the low MCAT?
I was determined to push through the program because the classes taught really would prepare me for medical school. I took the SMP because a family friend who is a professor there recommended it. It helped a lot with the MCAT. I did not know at the time that SMP was mainly for those with lower undergrad GPAs.

It should be stated with a 3.8 uGPA, 3.7 SCI GPA, that an SMP was not necessary. By getting those C's, even though it was for other circumstances, you put a big dent in your application profile. I'm going to hope your program letter will explain the situation. Yes, this could offset the benefit of a 12 point gain in your MCAT (given what you had). Why didn't you take a leave?

BTW, SMPs do not affect undergrad GPA, but it is set aside as a grad GPA.

What advice have you gotten from your program director?
I truly thought I was able to push through. I did not want to withdraw in fear of what that would look like on my application. Yes, I explain everything in my secondaries. I just want to see if this is the end or if I have a chance given my previous academic history.

I was determined to push through the program because the classes taught really would prepare me for medical school.
You are saying that your 3.7 sciGPA/3.8 overall GPA shows you still were not prepared for medical school at your undergrad, right?

We ask why you withdrew, but we usually understand. We don't ask why you got C's (pay careful attention to how we discuss academic inconsistencies: LOA's, withdrawals, academic probation for sure) and given the timing of your C's within the last year in an SMP, it gives us the impression you still are not prepared for medical school when we screen your file. SMP's are high-risk high-reward.

Again, what advice about applying has your program director given you? Are there former students with an SMP 3.0 GPA who got into medical school? What did they do and where did they go?

You are saying that your 3.7 sciGPA/3.8 overall GPA shows you still were not prepared for medical school at your undergrad, right?

We ask why you withdrew, but we usually understand. We don't ask why you got C's and given the timing of your C's within the last year in an SMP, it gives us the impression you still are not prepared for medical school when we screen your file. SMP's are high-risk high-reward.

Again, what advice about applying has your program director given you? Are there former students with an SMP 3.0 GPA who got into medical school? What did they do and where did they go?
Would the impression still stand true even with the explanation of why they occurred? It might be a little better once I send schools an updated transcript once I finish retaking the courses. The program director recommended that since it was too late to withdraw, for me to retake the classes. He did not mention any other former students but I will ask him when I get the chance.

With your SMP grades you will need to apply broadly to both MD and DO schools.
I suggest these MD schools:
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
CUSOM
ACOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
CCOM

You got kicked in the butt during your SMP and bad. Even your second semester was like a 3.5...not good for MD but acceptable for DO. Go with the advice of Faha. If you don't get in this time, consider a DIY postbacc. DIY in order to reduce the expense, as you may not get into medical school at all. Good luck. The problem is that your academic performance in science classes may worry adcoms a little.