3.68, 510 School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grandepike

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
State of Residence: VA (ORM male)

Undergrad: Smaller state school

510, Evenly balanced, one attempt

cGPA: 3.68, sGPA: 3.60 - With an upward trend: (3.29, 3.46, 3.95, 3.93).

Miscellaneous: I'm not sure where to include this so I'll put it here... Shortly after my sophomore Spring I was diagnosed with advanced non-hodgkins lymphoma. Obviously it sucked, but I wanted to stay in school to be with my friends, enjoy myself, and ensure I didn't lose any financial aid. Thanks to a lot of support, I was able to go back to school while undergoing 6 rounds of chemo and 25 rounds of radiation. I learned a lot about myself through the process, including how little I had put into my studies up until then, and the GPA spike between 2nd and 3rd year is directly correlated.
(With no small thanks to the brilliant minds I had treating me, I've been in remission for almost a year now.)

Clinical Volunteering: EMT, 400 hours

Nonclinical Volunteering: Ronald McDonald House, ~20 hours
Relay for life, ~15 hours

Shadowing: 40 hours between pediatric surgery and IM

Paid Clinical: EMT, at least 1200 hours. After the medical bills starting coming in, it didn't take us long to realize that our health insurance wasn't going to cut it and my parents were at a loss as to how they could come up with the money themselves (I have a lot of siblings and money can get tight). So a week after my last round of chemo I got this job and eventually paid off the balance. Things got messy, I couldn't always pay tuition, collection agencies got involved, all of which contributed to why I couldn't take on other EC's, but I'm not trying to make excuses. I'm actively in the process of figuring out my game plan for getting more non-clinical volunteering as soon as the semester ends, specifically looking at other ways to get involved with my fellow cancer-fighters still out there.

Other Paid: I'm a chemistry tutor and SI leader for Organic II which has been a ton of fun and a great leadership experience. ~350 hours
Countless hours working for the family business: my dad owns a landscaping company that I've worked full time for during the Summers and part time the rest of the year since I was young.

Research: Really none, but instead of the regular Orgo II lab I was invited to this "advanced" section where we conducted a synthesis project that was based on literature we had to research for proper techniques, reagents, analysis etc. We wrote a scientific-style paper and presented our work for a panel of Chemistry faculty.

Solid LOR's from professors and physician.

School list (Would greatly appreciate input!)

EVMS
VCU
UVA
VTech??
Nova MD
Miami
TCU
NYMC
Seton Hall
Drexel
Penn State
Creighton
UVM
MCW
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Tufts
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I approve of the list and some additions by Faha. In the meantime (if possible), earn some volunteering and research. Your narrative/background is awesome (congrats on remission) but ECs need to be great since your stats are slightly below the average matriculant.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I approve of the list and some additions by Faha. In the meantime (if possible), earn some volunteering and research. Your narrative/background is awesome (congrats on remission) but ECs need to be great since your stats are slightly below the average matriculant.
Thanks for the feedback! I will certainly be getting involved in more volunteering, and I have a possible opportunity to do research during my upcoming gap year (at one of my in-state medical schools).

I suggest after getting in more service to others less fortunate than yourself:
U Toledo
U VM
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
Nova MD
Your state schools

Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

Reactions: 1 user