3.69 GPA 30 MCAT Reapplicant... Should I retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sphun65

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Used to post and read on this forum reasonably often, but haven't so much since I didn't get in during the 2011 cycle. I received 3 interviews and 3 waitlists, all relatively late in the cycle.

- 3.7 GPA (significant upward trend... ~3.9 GPA in last 5 semesters)
- 3.75 sGPA
- 30 MCAT (11 BS, 10 PS, 9 VR)

My original application in 2011 was fairly well-rounded, and the main stats listed above haven't changed much since then (my GPA went up a little). The rest of my application, at that time, contained the following important things:

- Microbiology research for 3 semesters
- Volunteer EMT-B, ~150 hours
- Leader in several student clubs, president for one
- Physician shadowing for ~40 hours

My potential application in 2013 now includes:

- Since I had originally applied before my senior year, my application would now include all of my coursework
- Have been working for a well-known software company, used by most academic medical centers. Have supported software implementation at a few medical schools, and have a much better understanding of the medical industry. Medical-related experience increased by a large number, actual shadowing ~100 hours
- Head football coach for a youth team
- Life experiences, etc... Hopefully better interview skills

For my 2013 application, I would be applying on 6/1, whereas in 2011, I applied in the middle of September.

My question for you is... Do you think my chances in 2013 are significantly increased? Should I retake the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think you should retake the MCAT unless you're scoring 4-5 points higher on practice tests but even then it's a risk and a hastle. I'd say since you're a fairly average applicant for MD schools it will definitely be to your benefit to apply early due to rolling admissions. The fact that you got 3 interviews is promising, and I'd say if you touch up on interview skills/ hone your personal statement you should have a good chance. Just make sure to apply to some safety schools! Good luck!

Hey all,

Used to post and read on this forum reasonably often, but haven't so much since I didn't get in during the 2011 cycle. I received 3 interviews and 3 waitlists, all relatively late in the cycle.

- 3.75 sGPA

My original application in 2011 was fairly well-rounded, and the main stats listed above haven't changed much since then (my GPA went up a little). The rest of my application, at that time, contained the following important things:

- Since I had originally applied before my senior year, my application would now include all of my coursework
- Have been working for a well-known software company, used by most academic medical centers. Have supported software implementation at a few medical schools, and have a much better understanding of the medical industry. Medical-related experience increased by a large number, actual shadowing ~100 hours

For my 2013 application, I would be applying on 6/1, whereas in 2011, I applied in the middle of September.

My question for you is... Do you think my chances in 2013 are significantly increased? Should I retake the MCAT?

The fact that you have more shadowing hours will definitely help since I'd say 40 was on the lower side. What I believe will really help you is applying early. I actually have pretty similar stats as you and I too applied around September last year. I got a couple interviews but didn't get anywhere. My application from last year to this year hasn't changed much and I was dreading the "What have you done in the past year to improve your application?" because I honestly didn't do much. Luckily that never came up. Anyways, I did apply much earlier (late June) this time and consequently I am getting more love from schools. I think if you apply to the appropriate schools and stay realistic, you shouldn't have to retake the MCAT, especially since it's pretty balanced.

Overall I'd say don't retake the MCAT (unless you're confident you can score much higher and want to aim for a top tier school), submit early, get those secondaries back quickly, and start preparing talking points to the typical interview questions so you can answer confidently without sounding like you overly rehearsed. Hope this helps and good luck!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

- 3.75 sGPA

Your MCAT is fine. If you apply on 6/1 you should have a much better shot esp w your EPIC experience and better ECs.

With your stats I'd also recommend applying broadly to 20+ schools if you have the money/time.

(submitting your app late in Sept. is what likely got you WL'ed last time)

Good Luck!

App looks good to me. Go for sub top 20 schools. I'm just going to reiterate what has been said already. GET YOUR PRIMARY IN JUNE 5th!!

I don't think you should retake the MCAT unless you're scoring 4-5 points higher on practice tests but even then it's a risk and a hastle. I'd say since you're a fairly average applicant for MD schools it will definitely be to your benefit to apply early due to rolling admissions. The fact that you got 3 interviews is promising, and I'd say if you touch up on interview skills/ hone your personal statement you should have a good chance. Just make sure to apply to some safety schools! Good luck!

Interesting that you put it that way... I had originally thought that even a few points would be great, but it is a risk. I've been out of school for almost two years now - my MCAT readiness peaked a long time ago.

The fact that you have more shadowing hours will definitely help since I'd say 40 was on the lower side. What I believe will really help you is applying early. I actually have pretty similar stats as you and I too applied around September last year. I got a couple interviews but didn't get anywhere. My application from last year to this year hasn't changed much and I was dreading the "What have you done in the past year to improve your application?" because I honestly didn't do much. Luckily that never came up. Anyways, I did apply much earlier (late June) this time and consequently I am getting more love from schools. I think if you apply to the appropriate schools and stay realistic, you shouldn't have to retake the MCAT, especially since it's pretty balanced.

Overall I'd say don't retake the MCAT (unless you're confident you can score much higher and want to aim for a top tier school), submit early, get those secondaries back quickly, and start preparing talking points to the typical interview questions so you can answer confidently without sounding like you overly rehearsed. Hope this helps and good luck!:luck:

A lot of useful tidbits here. I'm also somewhat dreading the "what have you done since then" question, since I will be reapplying to a bunch of schools, but I think enough has changed since then to have something to talk about. I haven't done anything worthy of an award (like most people on here claim to have done), but I've grown a lot as a person.

Anyways, I really appreciate the reassurance and your story. Thank you!

Your MCAT is fine. If you apply on 6/1 you should have a much better shot esp w your EPIC experience and better ECs.

With your stats I'd also recommend applying broadly to 20+ schools if you have the money/time.

(submitting your app late in Sept. is what likely got you WL'ed last time)

Good Luck!

You caught me, there. I'm hoping that it makes a difference on my resume :cool:

Thanks!

Applying smart (at least a dozen schools that might interview you) has a more powerful impact than a retake of a good MCAT.

Yes... Cutting the Yales and various OOS reach schools out this time.

App looks good to me. Go for sub top 20 schools. I'm just going to reiterate what has been said already. GET YOUR PRIMARY IN JUNE 5th!!

They will be forced to deal with my application on June 5, whether they like it our not.

Until then, I'll be playing a lot of disc golf... Instead of studying for the MCAT.

Cheers! :thumbup: