3.70 cGPA, 3.64 sGPA, 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heplayer92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
UPDATED as of 5/13/2015. Incoming wall of text!

Original Post:

Hi all,

I just graduated from the University of Michigan, and am taking a gap year working at a small pharmaceutical startup. I posted last year, but just wanted to provide updates to gauge my current standing and get some feedback on my weak areas.

Grades:
3.70 cGPA
3.64 sGPA

Upward trend every semester. 3.27 cGPA freshman year (rough transition), and then 3.7-4.0 sophomore/junior/senior semesters. All A/A-'s for past 3 semesters!

MCAT
P/V/B:
11/8/11 = 30.
A little concerned about the 8 in VR. Was averaging 10.5 on AAMCs, not sure what happened. Currently signed up for a June 21st re-take. Still deciding...leaning 80% FOR retake, 20% against. =/

Extracurriculars
1 publication, 3 in the works, among is 1 primary author publication that I am currently writing (after a huge delay).
2000+ lab research hours. Started my senior year in high school at the same lab. Very very involved in research.
100+ lab hours at small drug company (started this year part time)
2 national conference trips presenting research (how much value does this hold??)

500+ hours as Honors Residential Advisor ("paid")
300+ hours as Community Assistant ("paid")
250+ hours @ homeless shelter clinic (great great experience)
100+ hours various shadowing (high school class)
70+ hours @ hospital playing piano for families
50+ hours @ alternative/complementary medicine clinic
50+ hours @ started organization raising money for rural children in China to get an education. Club eventually flopped, but I learned a lot nonetheless

LORs are solid as well. Also, I am a first-generation college student (which some schools really like?).

UPDATES!!

Hi all,

1 year later, I am happy to report that I will be attending Wayne State School of Medicine in the Fall! WOOT WOOT!

I ended up applying to about 22 schools.

Received interviews at 6: Loyola, Michigan State, Wayne State, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Albany
Attended interviews at 4: Loyola, Michigan State, Wayne State, Central Michigan
Accepted at 4: Loyola, Michigan State, Wayne State, Central Michigan

I submitted my AMCAS the first day possible, and I am sure that played a huge role in my success this year. I also ended up voiding an MCAT re-take, but nonetheless, I received all my interview invites before November, and heard nothing after December. Getting accepted to medical school in November really helped me enjoy the rest of my gap year as well!

So yeah, shoutout to @Goro and @gyngyn and for being so helpful the past year. You guys do a lot for these forums, and I am very thankful for your input. A 3.7/30 may not be the best stats, but it is enough =)

If any of you have any questions whatsoever, do not hesitate to message me and I will try my best to share my experiences.

All the best to you applying this cycle and beyond,

Heplayer92

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the feedback Goro.

I guess retaking the MCAT and doing better would help me out immensely! Just worried that statistically speaking, most people who retake a 30 end up going down...or at least that possibility is quite significant.

Any other input? Retake that MCAT? XD

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the input, much appreciated.

Yeah I think that's what I'm leaning towards doing. It's difficult because there isn't much of a clear-cut decision here. What has so much potential to help could definitely destroy my chances all together XD

Thanks again, and definitely open to any further feedback!

What tier of schools are you going for? You have strong EC's, a good gpa, and an a bit low mcat, but I think you could apply to a smart list and get a number of interviews. Now if you were to retake the MCAT and score in the mid 30's range +, it's possible you could be looking into top tier schools with so much research background. It really is up to you, what you're looking for in a school, and as a career...

Yeah I am currently working on a school list, and will get back to y'all for feedback as soon as I can!

That's a very good point Imn. I tell myself that I would be happy getting in anywhere really besides the Caribbean. But a big deal to me is getting in somewhere close (preferably the same school) as my girlfriend of 4 years. Her numbers are a bit better than mine (cGPA3.8+/sGPA3.7+ with a 33). We have relatively similar ECs in terms of how much research we do and volunteer. Doing better than a 33 for me on the MCAT would be a tremendous help, and I'm definitely placing myself in the mindset to retake. At the same time, I understand the risk.

Just wanted to get some advice from this community, which has definitely helped me in the past!

Also, I know they have couples matching for residencies, but not for medical school correct?

Yeah I am currently working on a school list, and will get back to y'all for feedback as soon as I can!

Also, I know they have couples matching for residencies, but not for medical school correct?
Even couple's matching for residency often does not work out well. There is no couple's match for medical school

For sure, but luckily it's an option =)

It'd probably help if the two people were as qualified as well! As a applicant who just graduated a few days ago, there's a lot of feels going on, and how this process goes often dictates the opportunities and paths taken in the future.

Oyyy.

Anyways, always looking for more input! Thanks to everyone who has given me advice. I truly appreciate your time!

Hi all, here's my school list that I am very open to feedback on! I do own the MSAR, and limited most of the list to schools that had at least an 8 Verbal on the 10th% in case I do not retake the MCAT. Let me know what y'all think! Any/all input is highly valued.

In-State (Michigan):

Wayne State University
Michigan State University
Michigan State University DO?
Oakland University
Michigan University (I know chances are slim, but I have to =))
Central Michigan University

Out-of-State

University of Toledo
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College?
Albany (New York) ?
Rosalind Franklin (low-yield due to 10,000+ applications)?
University of South Carolina (REMOVED)
Drexel? (I've heard some negative things about the school...and it also receives 10,000+ applications...comments are welcome!)
Wake Forest
University of Illinois
University of Iowa
University of Vermont
Jefferson Medical College
Creighton?
University of Minnesota? (REMOVED)
University of Nebraska? (REMOVED)
Loyola Stritch (Chicago)
UCLA? (REMOVED)
Saint Louis University
Rush (MSAR seems to present inaccurate data on this one...)
University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill (REMOVED)
University of Rochester
University of Miami

I know many people apply to low-yield Georgetown and GW. Doing that is pretty much a waste of money right?

I understand there's almost 30 schools here. Realistically, I'll apply to about 15-20. Appreciate the time and feedback, and any insight on any of the schools will be helpful. Thanks a lot y'all!

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with UCLA personally, they may have a huge range, but they can be very picky in accepting top candidates from across the country. Your stats are a bit low for Rochester too I believe, and I'm not too sure but I've heard they are a stickler for stats compared to some other places.

It is your choice on applying to the most applied to schools, it is very true that the stats may be against you due to how many apply, but then again it is possible that it will work for you and you'll get in. I personally was lucky enough to have ii's at a good number of the highly applied to schools and will be matriculating to one of them this fall, so it isn't like it can't/won't happen.

I believe South Carolina, Minnesota, and North Carolina aren't the most out of state friendly

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't bother with UCLA personally, they may have a huge range, but they can be very picky in accepting top candidates from across the country. Your stats are a bit low for Rochester too I believe, and I'm not too sure but I've heard they are a stickler for stats compared to some other places.

It is your choice on applying to the most applied to schools, it is very true that the stats may be against you due to how many apply, but then again it is possible that it will work for you and you'll get in. I personally was lucky enough to have ii's at a good number of the highly applied to schools and will be matriculating to one of them this fall, so it isn't like it can't/won't happen.

Thanks for the insight Imn. If I don't apply, that means absolutely 0 chance right? =) I'll probably take UCLA out then. For Rochester, my GPA is within range (our advisors tell us "in range" if +/- 0.1 GPA usually coming from UMich), but the MCAT may be a bit low. I'll do a bit more research on it and see if it's worth it! Thanks again for your time.

I believe South Carolina, Minnesota, and North Carolina aren't the most out of state friendly

I looked at the MSAR again for this one =P
It says that College of South Carolina and University of South Carolina both have 15-20% of their class as OOS? Same goes for Minnesota and North Carolina. I did notice how relatively few they interview though.

Also, this is open to everyone, when you determine if a school is OOS friendly/not OOS friendly...do you main look at OOS interviews offered? Or OOS matriculants? I understand sometimes it is stated in their mission statements/requirements such as Washington in Seattle and Oregon.

Thanks again for your insight The Milkman.

It's not bad. Not tight but not bad. I count 16 schools where you have a fair to good chance at an interview. That is usually more than enough.

CA will appreciate that donation to UCLA!

Well that's good news! Are there other schools that you would suggest to add/remove gyngyn? Thanks very much!

It says that College of South Carolina and University of South Carolina both have 15-20% of their class as OOS? Same goes for Minnesota and North Carolina. I did notice how relatively few they interview though.

Also, this is open to everyone, when you determine if a school is OOS friendly/not OOS friendly...do you main look at OOS interviews offered? Or OOS matriculants? I understand sometimes it is stated in their mission statements/requirements such as Washington in Seattle and Oregon.

I would go off of matriculation, if they interview an ok amount of OOS but almost none matriculate that makes me either think that they don't really accept many OOS despite interviewing them, or else there is some big reason why nobody OOS wants to go there after interviewing/being accepted. For example, I met someone who had interviewed as OOS to a certain state after going to undergrad in the state, but other than that had no real connection besides liking the area, their first and last interview question from an interviewer was what was their connection to the state.

yes, although they do accept out of state students, 15-20% is fairly low. The way I am choosing OOS schools has a bunch of variables, but I'm looking for at least a 40% acceptance rate, unless there is something really eye catching that makes me want to take my chances.

Well that's good news! Are there other schools that you would suggest to add/remove gyngyn? Thanks very much!
I have to agree with most of the recommended deletions given by other posters. UNC with 25 matriculates/4057 OOS applicants looks low yield to me, especially since as a public school they are likely to be cherry picking high stat out-of- staters. The same for U So. Carolina: 19/2515; and Nebraska: 16/1279.

That is some good and convincing advice! Thank you all for the input. Much appreciated! Any other insight is more than welcome!! =D

Sorry to bother y'all again, but just curious on some input on my situation.

I am in the process of re-taking the MCAT June 21st (Got a 30). Re-took AAMC3 and AAMC4 from last summer, and got a 29 and 35 respectively. While I understand that the score is relatively inflated, this is still good practice, and I already feel a bit more prepared than I did last year (maybe it's because of the 35 =P).

My plan is to apply to about 15 schools right NOW. The 30 will not be screened out at (as my advisor told me) the places that I am applying to. If I end up voiding, I will probably apply to 5-10 more schools around my range/area. If I do better, I will apply to more schools July 20ish. If I do worse, I am going to cry and hope for the best =P

Here's the list:

MICHIGAN (In-State):

· Michigan State University
· University of Michigan
· Oakland University
· Wayne State University
· Central Michigan University

(Out of State):
· University of Toledo
· Wright State University
· Rosalind Franklin
· Rush
· University of Illinois
· University of Wisconsin
· Medical College of Wisconsin
· University of Minnesota
· University of Iowa
· University of Vermont

Any input is appreciated =) Thanks y'all!

Sorry to bother y'all again, but just curious on some input on my situation.

I am in the process of re-taking the MCAT June 21st (Got a 30). Re-took AAMC3 and AAMC4 from last summer, and got a 29 and 35 respectively. While I understand that the score is relatively inflated, this is still good practice, and I already feel a bit more prepared than I did last year (maybe it's because of the 35 =P).

My plan is to apply to about 15 schools right NOW. The 30 will not be screened out at (as my advisor told me) the places that I am applying to. If I end up voiding, I will probably apply to 5-10 more schools around my range/area. If I do better, I will apply to more schools July 20ish. If I do worse, I am going to cry and hope for the best =P

Here's the list:

MICHIGAN (In-State):

· Michigan State University
· University of Michigan
· Oakland University
· Wayne State University
· Central Michigan University

(Out of State):
· University of Toledo
· Wright State University
· Rosalind Franklin
· Rush
· University of Illinois
· University of Wisconsin
· Medical College of Wisconsin
· University of Minnesota
· University of Iowa
· University of Vermont

Any input is appreciated =) Thanks y'all!

Been lurking on this post for a while now...any update?

Been lurking on this post for a while now...any update?

Thanks for expressing interest! I'm thankful that the cycle has treated me really really well! I have received interviews at Michigan State, Wayne State, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Loyola Stritch, and Albany so far, and was accepted at Michigan State, Loyola, and Wayne State!! Woot woot!

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations on the THREE acceptances! That's awesome! Just curious, did you end up retaking the MCAT?

Congratulations on the THREE acceptances! That's awesome! Just curious, did you end up retaking the MCAT?

Thank you kind sir/ma'am! Congrats on your acceptances as well!

I did end up taking the exam, but ended up voiding. Was a bummer at the time, and created a bit more anxiety going into the cycle, but at this point, it no longer matters. Wooohoooo!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you kind sir/ma'am! Congrats on your acceptances as well!

I did end up taking the exam, but ended up voiding. Was a bummer at the time, and created a bit more anxiety going into the cycle, but at this point, it no longer matters. Wooohoooo!

Awesome, congrats! I will be applying this upcoming cycle, and have similar stats/from Michigan, so this is extremely encouraging. Let us know where you end up!

Awesome, congrats! I will be applying this upcoming cycle, and have similar stats/from Michigan, so this is extremely encouraging. Let us know where you end up!

Thanks! I actually did the same thing before I applied (went through SDN to find people with similar stats lol) so I totally understand. Glad this helps, and let me know if I can be of any assistance! Good luck!

Updated as of 5/13/2015.

Thank you all for the help this past year, and best of luck to you applying now and beyond!