3.75 sgpa / 3.10 cgpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tedmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could use some advice, I'm a non-traditional student.

sGPA = 3.75
cGPA = 3.10
"unofficial" post bac = 4.0 (not in official program, just doing my own at local University)

100 hours volunteering @ ER
50 hours shadowing DO/MD

I'm taking MCAT in May of 2013.

What are my chances for MD and DO and what do you think I need minimum on the MCAT to have a chance? What else can I improve? I work 30-40/hrs a week.

---

Story:

Undergrad I just didn't care. Graduated with Business degree (Marketing) in 2009.

I've been working in business world since graduation, been promoted a few times. Currently have pretty solid job but its not really rewarding. I manage a small team and have great letters of recommendation.

I'm working on a post-bac right now and I'm assuming I'll be able to maintain a 4.0, I have 4 more pre-reqs to take. I plan to take the MCAT in May. I'm just wondering what my chances are for MD/DO.

Members don't see this ad.

Could use some advice, I'm a non-traditional student.

sGPA = 3.75
cGPA = 3.10
"unofficial" post bac = 4.0 (not in official program, just doing my own at local University)

100 hours volunteering @ ER
50 hours shadowing DO/MD

I'm taking MCAT in May of 2013.

What are my chances for MD and DO and what do you think I need minimum on the MCAT to have a chance? What else can I improve? I work 30-40/hrs a week.

---

Story:

Undergrad I just didn't care. Graduated with Business degree (Marketing) in 2009.

I've been working in business world since graduation, been promoted a few times. Currently have pretty solid job but its not really rewarding. I manage a small team and have great letters of recommendation.

I'm working on a post-bac right now and I'm assuming I'll be able to maintain a 4.0, I have 4 more pre-reqs to take. I plan to take the MCAT in May. I'm just wondering what my chances are for MD/DO.

The cGPA might be a big problem for MD but not so much for DO if you can get it to 3.2+ by the time you apply...I think you might have a shot at MD if you can manage to get 34+ MCAT...You should be fine for DO with an MCAT score of 28+.

your gpa is completely fine for DO. that cum hardly matters when you have a 3.7 science gpa. the real problem is you have almost no ECs. no ecs that stand out, your app wont stand out.

Members don't see this ad :)
The cGPA might be a big problem for MD but not so much for DO if you can get it to 3.2+ by the time you apply...I think you might have a shot at MD if you can manage to get 34+ MCAT...You should be fine for DO with an MCAT score of 28+.

Thanks, I'm not sure if I can move my gpa too much for MD because of the sheer amount of credits I've taken, each class hardly touches my gpa unfortunately. Basically I need to crush the MCAT is what you're saying for MD.

your gpa is completely fine for DO. that cum hardly matters when you have a 3.7 science gpa. the real problem is you have almost no ECs. no ecs that stand out, your app wont stand out.

I was told that because of my job that I didn't have to worry about EC's so much because I'm a non-trad in a different situation. Was this bad advice?

For what it's worth, I'm not waiting tables or anything. I'm actually in my field (marketing), and leading a team of 3 for an interactive digital agency while taking my pre-reqs.

The reason I ask is because if it was going to be a difference maker than I would quit my job in January and try to do some more relevant EC's. This would stink though because I make pretty good money right now.

being a nontrad doesnt exempt you from having no ECs imo...you need to have stuff that really screams healthcare. There are tons of nontrads with awesome ECs.

i reccomend joining the fb group in my sig, we have quite a few non trads, and they could give you some advice. one named vern has a interesting variety.

Thanks, I'm not sure if I can move my gpa too much for MD because of the sheer amount of credits I've taken, each class hardly touches my gpa unfortunately. Basically I need to crush the MCAT is what you're saying for MD.

I was told that because of my job that I didn't have to worry about EC's so much because I'm a non-trad in a different situation. Was this bad advice?

For what it's worth, I'm not waiting tables or anything. I'm actually in my field (marketing), and leading a team of 3 for an interactive digital agency while taking my pre-reqs.

The reason I ask is because if it was going to be a difference maker than I would quit my job in January and try to do some more relevant EC's. This would stink though because I make pretty good money right now.
If your job was some kind of healthcare clinical job (Nurse, Respiratory therapist, Rad tech, etc...), I would say that you wont have to worry too much about ECs...But your job has nothing to do with healthcare; therefore, you need some ECs.