3.78 GPA, taking MCAT summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking MCT in August, and so scores won't be out till september. But If I apply early by June, am I ok? or is it too late?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat as you. I will be applying mid-June since final grades won't be posted until the third week. I'm taking the MCAT on August 23rd, so I will be studying over the summer along with two summer classes. I met up with one of the board members at a UC school and he specifically told me that it will not make a difference if they receive your score in September. He even made a joke about the applicants who think submitting their application at 12:01am on June 1st makes a difference. His bottom-line is that if you're going to get in, you're going to get in, so don't worry.

Good luck on your MCAT.

I was at this medical school seminar about applying and adcoms from several schools were there. One of their biggest tips was to apply early, and they did say that meant getting the mcat scores in earlier. The mcat score will hold up your application from being put into the interview pile and at some schools (rolling schools) this makes a big difference. If I were you I would take an earlier MCAT or postpone. I believe some schools won't send secondaries until they have an MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you feel like you're going to score 32+ then I would just go ahead and apply in June and indicate that you are taking the MCAT in September. September isn't THAT late, but I would pre-write all of the secondaries (secondary questions are posted in each of the SSD threads) so that you are ready to go when your scores come in. Don't take the MCAT earlier if you are not ready.

If you feel like you're going to score 32+ then I would just go ahead and apply in June and indicate that you are taking the MCAT in September. September isn't THAT late, but I would pre-write all of the secondaries (secondary questions are posted in each of the SSD threads) so that you are ready to go when your scores come in. Don't take the MCAT earlier if you are not ready.

+1. Completing app in September is later than what we consider optimal, but if you have a strong app it is still early enough that you'll be able to fight competitively for a seat. You really ought to prewrite answers for secondary questions, though - that will shave some time back off, since the people who submit earliest have to wait until they see the questions themselves, and won't have that edge.