Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

3.81 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 31 MCAT

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by mercedes-benzene, 09.26.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. mercedes-benzene

mercedes-benzene

Pre-Medical
    Hi folks

Would love any advice/info on my chances here.

As a bit of background, I'm a non-trad applicant with an undergrad degree in psychology as well as a Master's in clinical psychology. I've got two years of work experience in psychology, a large majority of it in intelligence testing and neuropsych evaluations. For a year of that I worked in an outpatient/inpatient neurology department at a hospital doing batteries for concussions, stroke, pre-op / post-op evaluation, Parkinson's, etc. I also volunteer at a free medical clinic doing intake interviews (hoping to do scribe work there after Christmas). Past volunteer experience is pretty extensive, with 4 years of YoungLife in college and a summer at a homeless shelter. I also currently work doing more concussion evals while also working as a communications director for a nonprofit.

My sGPA is largely from a post-bacc program that I completed (3.84 GPA there ... 2 B's in physics) combined with 2 B's from intro bio and chemistry back during my freshman year of college almost 8 years ago. Do those science classes even count anymore since they are so long ago? My post-bacc courses were the requirements for med schools, so not too many upper level courses. Although I did finish physiology and biochemistry.

During my master's program I had about 1.5 years of research experience, the first being in a lab examining cognitive effects of HIV and then the rest in a lab for neuropsych looking at how children function with rare genetic disorders. I have some shadowing experience (primary care, ER, ortho; probably 40 hours). Do I need more of that?

What kinds of schools should I be shooting for here? I would prefer to be somewhere near the Southeast or East Coast but I am not strictly limited geographically. Also, should I push my interest in neurology and psychiatry in my application, as I'm fairly certain I want to do one of those? Or do I need to come across as open to anything? On one hand I have first hand experience into both of those fields but at the same time I don't want to look pigeonholed either.

Thank you for reading!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    State of residence? Is this your only MCAT? Have you reviewed the MSAR? If so, where's your list?

I hope you are asking about next cycle!

4. mercedes-benzene

mercedes-benzene

Pre-Medical
    Ah my bad. I'm kinda new and didn't know I needed to put the list on here already. But yeah that's the only MCAT I have and yes I would be applying next cycle. I'm a NC resident and here's a quick list. I'm open to suggestions with this list too as I've mostly gone off of geography and some browsing of the MSAR thing and choosing schools that have comparable scores to mine.

UNC
    ECU
    Wake Forest
    VCU
    EVMS
    South Carolina (Greenville, Charleston, and Columbia)
    ETSU
    UTennessee
    Creighton
    Tulane
    Kentucky
    Louisville
    WVU
    Loma Linda
    George Washington

5. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    I see 10 schools (11 if you are SDA) where you have a fair to good chance at an interview. That's usually enough in your situation.

6. mercedes-benzene

mercedes-benzene

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the input! If you don't mind one more question, do you have thoughts on expressing an interest in some specialties in an application? Or is that generally frowned upon?

About the ads