WAMC 3.81 cGPA/3.95 sGPA, 518 MCAT ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H_double_J

Reaction score
  1. GPA: 3.81 cGPA, 3.95 sGPA (Got two Cs first semester, all As and a B+ since, two Ws in non-prereqs)
  2. MCAT: 518 (132 C/P, 128 CARS, 130 B/B, 128 P/S)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): NY
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Biochemistry major at mid-tier state university
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 95 hours of emergency department volunteering
  7. Research experience and productivity: 500 hours of immunology research, one conference abstract, one acknowledgement in a published article
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 150 hours of immunology shadowing, 60 hours of derm shadowing
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: None included, might mention on secondaries
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Lead chemistry tutor with university for 550 hours, treasurer of one pre-med and one academic club, 400 hours as camp counselor, 4 semesters of biology TA
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Deans List (Spring 2021-Spring 2023)
School list:

Reach (MCAT < 50th)
Boston University
Cornell
Columbia
NYU Grossman
University of Pittsburgh
Yale

Target (50th < MCAT < 75th)
Albert Einstein
Brown University
Dartmouth
Hofstra
Mount Sinai
NYMC
Thomas Jefferson
Stony Brook
Tufts
University of Miami
University of Rochester

"Safer" (MCAT > 75th)
Albany
Drexel
EVMS
FAU
Geisinger
George Washington
Georgetown
Hackensack Meridian
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Rutgers New Jersey
Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Temple
University at Buffalo
UConn
University of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech

Members don't see this ad.

You need a better balance of primary care/ER vs. specialty (immuno/derm). Also where in the world of immunology are your interests? Do you mean infectious diseases?
400 hours as camp counselor
Why is this not non-clinical volunteering? Please describe. I would have preferred an activity that really stretches you outside your comfort zone for a full year, but you have what you have.

Reactions: 1 user
You need a better balance of primary care/ER vs. specialty (immuno/derm). Also where in the world of immunology are your interests? Do you mean infectious diseases?

Why is this not non-clinical volunteering? Please describe. I would have preferred an activity that really stretches you outside your comfort zone for a full year, but you have what you have.
I work primarily with asthma and allergic patients, and the research is about parasite infections and their relationships to a type of immune cell, with the other paper being about the approval process for asthma medications..

I thought since I was getting paid for the role it wouldn't count as volunteering so I was planning on listing as paid employment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see a lot of applicants who put down camp counseling as community service, even though they were (likely) paid. The aspect of unpaid versus paid does complicate the focus, which should be more about clinical vs. community service (my opinion).

1. GPA: 3.81 cGPA, 3.95 sGPA (Got two Cs first semester, all As and a B+ since, two Ws in non-prereqs)
  2. MCAT: 518 (132 C/P, 128 CARS, 130 B/B, 128 P/S)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): NY
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Biochemistry major at mid-tier state university
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 95 hours of emergency department volunteering
  7. Research experience and productivity: 500 hours of immunology research, one conference abstract, one acknowledgement in a published article
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 150 hours of immunology shadowing, 60 hours of derm shadowing
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: None included, might mention on secondaries
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Lead chemistry tutor with university for 550 hours, treasurer of one pre-med and one academic club, 400 hours as camp counselor, 4 semesters of biology TA
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Deans List (Spring 2021-Spring 2023)
I can't sugar coat this: You're DOA with that little clinical exposure (my own student interviewers would eat you alive) and 0 nonclinical volunteering. Get off campus and out of your comfort zone.

Why not go for a PhD instead? This is what your app is telegraphing right now.

Reactions: 1 user
With no non clinical volunteering and only 90 hours of clinical volunteering, your chances for interviews are low. You would be better off to apply a year from now after you have accumulated 200 hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact and 150 hours of non clinical volunteering (homeless shelter, food bank, etc.)