MD 3.82 cGPA 3.69 sGPA 520 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZugZwang1215

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: Will graduate this summer and will be applying to the 2018 cycle (Currently in 1st semester of Senior Year)
School: Top 100 US News ranked. It's a private school. Idk if that matters.
cGPA: 3.82 sGPA: 3.69 MCAT: 520 (Very strong trend, 3.4->3.78->3.99->hopefully 4.0 this year) I had difficulty adjusting to college during freshman year
Ethnicity: Asian (Burmese/Taiwanese)
SES disadvantaged

Extracurriculars:
Clinical:
300 hours volunteering at an underserved hospital since beginning of college career
100 hours volunteering at a soup kitchen for the underserved between my Sophomore and Junior Year
100 hours shadowing ER doctors from Sophomore Year to now

Research:
500 hours summer research at a neuroscience lab did a poster presentation
100 hours sociology research project did a poster presentation
150 hours Health Policy Project got a grant and did a poster presentation
300 hours of Protein Crystallography Research in a Biochemistry Lab

Other:
100 hours Summer Optometry Program
200 hours Secretary of my school's premed club
100 hours Pre-Med Mentor at my school
100 hours Researcher in a Health Policy Organization

I live in NYC. I was wondering what schools I would have a good chance at

Members don't see this ad.

Since you are a NY resident you should consider all these schools:
All 4 SUNY's
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Cornell
Columbia
Add any other OOS schools that appeal to you but avoid OOS public schools that accept few non residents.

This is a list I have compiled so far. I feel that it may be a little too top heavy. What schools should I add or remove? I'd like to add more "safety schools" (I know they don't exist but I am referring to lower ranked schools that I may have a better chance at) @Faha
Albany School of Medicine
Albert Einstein School of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Buffalo School of Medicine
Case Western School of Medicine
Columbia University School of Medicine
Dartmouth School of Medicine
Duke School of Medicine
Georgetown School of Medicine
Harvard School of Medicine
Howard School of Medicine
Hofstra School of Medicine
Johns Hopkin School of Medicine
Mayo School of Medicine
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Northwestern School of Medicine
New York Medical College
NYU Langone School of Medicine
Quinnipiac University School of Medicine
Rochester School of Medicine
Stanford School of Medicine
Stony Brook School of Medicine
SUNY Downstate School of Medicine
SUNY Upstate School of Medicine
Tulane School of Medicine
U Chicago School of Medicine
U Penn
Vanderbilt
Washington University
Weill Cornell
Yale

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You can delete Howard since they accept mainly URM from the African American community.

Reactions: 1 user
You're well-placed to apply to top 20s, your state schools, and any other schools that interest you. The upward trend will mean your lowish (by top 20 standards) GPA will be forgiven, and your high MCAT seals the deal. Maybe pick 10 top 20s, your state schools, and five mid-tier schools? You've also got the SES disadvantaged status, which will only help you. Good luck!

You're competitive anywhere you want.

I wouldnt say delete howard though because while it is a historically african american institution, your background sounds like it would fit fine. Delete howard if you're getting lazy to fill out secondaries and what not though. You have your pick of the litter.

You might want to add Pitt if you havent already.

For lower ranked schools maybe look at some of the ones in Chicago that arent feinberg/pritz

You might want to add Pitt if you havent already.

For lower ranked schools maybe look at some of the ones in Chicago that arent feinberg/pritz
Hey thanks for the advice but are you sure about Pitt? It's a really high ranked school that only accepts ~60% of students OOS. Do you think I have shot? And I'll look into Chicago. Thanks

Background: Will graduate this summer and will be applying to the 2018 cycle (Currently in 1st semester of Senior Year)
School: Top 100 US News ranked. It's a private school. Idk if that matters.
cGPA: 3.82 sGPA: 3.69 MCAT: 520 (Very strong trend, 3.4->3.78->3.99->hopefully 4.0 this year) I had difficulty adjusting to college during freshman year
Ethnicity: Asian (Burmese/Taiwanese)
SES disadvantaged

Extracurriculars:
Clinical:
300 hours volunteering at an underserved hospital since beginning of college career
100 hours volunteering at a soup kitchen for the underserved between my Sophomore and Junior Year
100 hours shadowing ER doctors from Sophomore Year to now

Research:
500 hours summer research at a neuroscience lab did a poster presentation
100 hours sociology research project did a poster presentation
150 hours Health Policy Project got a grant and did a poster presentation
300 hours of Protein Crystallography Research in a Biochemistry Lab

Other:
100 hours Summer Optometry Program
200 hours Secretary of my school's premed club
100 hours Pre-Med Mentor at my school
100 hours Researcher in a Health Policy Organization

I live in NYC. I was wondering what schools I would have a good chance at

Nothing wrong with aiming high:
I suggest:

Wash U
U Chicago
NYU
U Penn
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Northwestern
Case
Harvard
Yale
Stanford
JHU
U VM
Ohio State
UCLA,
Miami
Tulane
Albert Einstein
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Mayo
Rochester
Dartmouth
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
ALL SUNYs.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think I actually have a shot at the UC schools @Goro. I just checked and the OOS matriculation for USC is 22.3% and for UCLA is 24.5% and 37.5% depending on the UCLA.

Do you think I actually have a shot at the UC schools @Goro. I just checked and the OOS matriculation for USC is 22.3% and for UCLA is 24.5% and 37.5% depending on the UCLA.
Those OOS matriculation rates are among the high end for OOS applicants to state MD schools!

The three I named are most likely to reward reinvention. Keck, in particular will like service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Hey thanks for the advice but are you sure about Pitt? It's a really high ranked school that only accepts ~60% of students OOS. Do you think I have shot? And I'll look into Chicago. Thanks

You definitely have a shot. 60% OOS is alot. Like alot of privates (completely private, Pitt has a weird relationship with the state) have lower OOS numbers than 60. Lot of ppl from NY and California there.

Update: I've just finished my first semester of senior year and received a 4.0 for the semester but just realized that my final cGPA will be 3.78 instead of 3.8 and my final sGPA will be 3.73 instead of 3.68. Does this in any way affect your suggestions on my school list @Goro ? Also, I've been checking the average MCAT and GPA for these schools and my MCAT is greater than or equal to the average MCAT of all the schools you have suggested but my cGPA is less than the average GPA for some of the top schools you have suggested by anywhere .05 to .1. Do you know how much of an impact that will have on my chances at these top schools?

I'm not Goro, but your ECs are good, your MCAT is Harvard-quality, and your GPA is at the 25th percentile, if not at the median, for most top 20s. Your SES-disadvantaged status should push you over the edge and make you a competitive top-20 applicant. Good luck.

Update: I've just finished my first semester of senior year and received a 4.0 for the semester but just realized that my final cGPA will be 3.78 instead of 3.8 and my final sGPA will be 3.73 instead of 3.68. Does this in any way affect your suggestions on my school list @Goro ? Also, I've been checking the average MCAT and GPA for these schools and my MCAT is greater than or equal to the average MCAT of all the schools you have suggested but my cGPA is less than the average GPA for some of the top schools you have suggested by anywhere .05 to .1. Do you know how much of an impact that will have on my chances at these top schools?
you're fine

Thank you. I probably sound paranoid but I've heard a lot of nightmare stories of people from the last cycle that did well stats-wise but didn't get a lot of success. So I just wanted to check.

The differences in your GPAs are miniscule, hence, the school list is the same. But congrats on all your hard work and success.

Thank you. I probably sound paranoid but I've heard a lot of nightmare stories of people from the last cycle that did well stats-wise but didn't get a lot of success. So I just wanted to check.
I mean you still have to write a good application, get good letters of rec and interview well...but yes your stats are very good. Most people with high stats that don’t get in really lacked in some area