MD 3.87 cGPA, 3.83 sGPA. MCAT 25 ==> 511

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prince0fpersia94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

White male/Texas resident

3.87 cGPA, 3.83 sGPA

Jan 2015 MCAT- 25 (8/6/11)
Jan 2016 MCAT-511 (128/124/130/129)

ECs:

Scribe and clinical volunteering (500+ hours)-still doing this

Lead facilitator for Orgo 2 workshop:This is basically a class where students enroll in that want to do well in a certain class, in this case orgo 2. I basically was the teacher and had to prepare lectures and practice problems. Office hours and all that included.

non-clinical volunteering( 100 hours by application)- includes a couple of things

Research in an Alzheimer's Lab for 1 year: No poster or publications. I was given a project and I completed it.

Social(if this matters) : Active member of a fraternity

School List:

Everywhere in Texas, although I am really aiming for UTMB and UThouston.

OOS:

Drexel
Howard
Georgetown
Miami Leneord M. Miller
Temple
Tulane
Albany

What does everyone think? I would appreciate all comments and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

The Texas schools are where your best chances are. The OOS schools are unlikely except perhaps Tulane. You may have a chance at the newer MD schools such as:
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Roseman
It would be a good idea to apply to at least 5 DO schools including the new one opening in Texas for 2017 (Incarnate).

Members don't see this ad :)
So few applicants leave TX that admissions deans have learned not to interview them unless they are likely to be eligible for recruitment $.
DO is my recommendation if you decide to apply OOS.
So are you saying that I should focus on applying to MD schools in TX, but if I apply OOS then I should apply to DO?

Reactions: 1 user
So are you saying that I should focus on applying to MD schools in TX, but if I apply OOS then I should apply to DO?
Exactly. Even the new schools usually hire "old" admissions deans who are aware of the TX data.

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly. Even the new schools usually hire "old" admissions deans who are aware of the TX data.
What do you think about my lackluster CARS score? There was a small improvement, but I still feel uncomfortable about it.