3.87 sGPA, 3.92 cGPA, 39 MCAT, PA - No idea what I'm doing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProbablyAPenguin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Note: I am feeling pretty lost right now - I'm pretty sure I know what top tier schools I want to apply to, and what safe schools I want to apply to, but I'm unsure how to go about finding mid-tier schools that would be appropriate. I really want to go anywhere OOS. I'm not interested in MD/PhD but I really want to do some sort of research after I get my MD... maybe in cardiology or biomaterials which is what I research now. And I like schools with global health programs/ research programs. Though really I just need ideas about how to pick schools that would be good for me!

Junior, PA resident, Top 20 School, Applying This Cycle
-Your cumulative and science GPA: 3.92 (cumulative) 3.87 (science)
  • Bioengineering Major and Global Health Minor (top 20 school)
-Your MCAT score (if available): 39
- LOR: Strong
-Clinical volunteer activities
  • Volunteered for a semester at a local hospital, keeping patients with delirium mentally active
  • Volunteer as an EMT at an Ambulance Company (70+ Hours) (EMT Certified for 2.5 years)
  • Volunteer as an EMT at Home University (1000+ hours)
  • Certified CPR instructor by AHA (50+ hours)
  • In charge of campus-wide CPR certification program (100+ hours)
-Physician shadowing (include specialties and total hours)
  • ENT - 8 Hours
  • Pediatrician - 8 Hours
  • I'm going to try to get more the fall of senior year... probably can't get in more before I submit my app, but both my parents are doctors so I kinda know what being a doctor is like anyway
-Research
  • REU over the summer at prestigious university. 400+ hours. Paper being submitted at the end of this month (2nd Author)
  • Research at home university: Started last semester, continuing this semester and next year, 500+ hours. No publication.
-Nonclinical volunteer activities
  • Academic fellow at university (50+ hours) serve as a tutor in bioengineering on campus
  • Peer academic advisor at university (200+ hours) serve as an academic mentor/help students schedule classes on campus
  • TA for two bioengineering classes at university (Fundamentals of bioengineering and systems and physiology)
  • Tutored middle school children in english for one year, 4 hours a week (freshman year)
  • Worked with habitat humanity for one year, 2-3 hours a week (Freshman year)
-Employment
  • Have worked in various restaurants during summer/winter breaks in school (Starbucks, cosi, etc)
-Other
  • Took a gap year between high school and college and studied abroad for 6 months (Austria, germany, etc)
  • This summer I'm participating in a global health internship and traveling to Malawi to work on clinical trials in hospital that my school partners with and to teach a medical device workshop at a Malawian university
  • Have a small merit scholarship for being an engineer who gets good grades
  • In an engineering honors society
  • Ummmm I know basic sign language and I'm pretty good at German
  • Currently working on multiple medical device design classes for the developing world through my global health classes and engineering design classes
  • President's List/Deans List most semesters

Dream Schools:
Johns Hopkins
Baylor
Mayo
Vanderbilt
Harvard
UPenn
Duke
Stanford
Other Schools I would like:
Columbia
Brown
Wash U
Emory
Dartmouth​

Back Up Schools
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Jefferson

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have the sort of standard profile of people who get into the top-20. Just practice your interviewing skills, and maybe throw in a little more shadowing. Also, try to play up any significant hobbies. It's best if you have a focused interest or a really interesting EC or life story, if you want a shot at the top 5 schools, so you will need to tailor your essays to play up your UNIQUENESS to get in there---the reality is there are too many strong applicants who have the bread-and-butter EMT+MCAT+GPA+Research (Not that it's bad you did that---in fact it is necessary). But I'd say you're a shoe-in for top-20 and maybe have a shot at top-5. Good luck! Also I'd personally add 5 more schools from the top 20, for good measure.

Reactions: 1 user
Very solid app. I agree with pyrrion89. Your success will be determined by how well you sell your story and your uniqueness on your app and at interview. Your gap year sounds cool. Would be neat if you could tie it into your interest in global health etc. After a certain point (which you've attained- but try to get a little more shadowing. I think some adcoms aren't impressed by "my parents are MDs, so I know what it's like" ), top schools are really looking for what interesting thing you will contribute to the class. I feel like your backups wont take you seriously- might be a waste to apply to all of them unless you tell them you want to stay in PA, which doesn't seem to be the case. You're not interested in any of the other NYC private schools? IIRC Cornell likes to emphasize global health. Mt Sinai some too, I think. I don't know much about NYU.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have the sort of standard profile of people who get into the top-20. Just practice your interviewing skills, and maybe throw in a little more shadowing. Also, try to play up any significant hobbies. It's best if you have a focused interest or a really interesting EC or life story, if you want a shot at the top 5 schools, so you will need to tailor your essays to play up your UNIQUENESS to get in there---the reality is there are too many strong applicants who have the bread-and-butter EMT+MCAT+GPA+Research (Not that it's bad you did that---in fact it is necessary). But I'd say you're a shoe-in for top-20 and maybe have a shot at top-5. Good luck! Also I'd personally add 5 more schools from the top 20, for good measure.

Thanks for the advice! I guess I'm not really sure what I feel like makes me unique. I was considering writing about my experience in Africa this summer when I do my secondaries, and how I want to tie that in to my life as a doctor and potential research in bioengineering, as I feel like that will be relatively unique. Otherwise I feel like I'm a pretty standard upper-mid tier cookie cutter applicant.

My life story might be relatively interesting but I feel like sharing it with any adcoms will hurt rather than hinder me....

Very solid app. I agree with pyrrion89. Your success will be determined by how well you sell your story and your uniqueness on your app and at interview. Your gap year sounds cool. Would be neat if you could tie it into your interest in global health etc. After a certain point (which you've attained- but try to get a little more shadowing. I think some adcoms aren't impressed by "my parents are MDs, so I know what it's like" ), top schools are really looking for what interesting thing you will contribute to the class. I feel like your backups wont take you seriously- might be a waste to apply to all of them unless you tell them you want to stay in PA, which doesn't seem to be the case. You're not interested in any of the other NYC private schools? IIRC Cornell likes to emphasize global health. Mt Sinai some too, I think. I don't know much about NYU.

I'm applying to Temple because my little sister is going there next year.... and she really wants me to apply. Otherwise, I'm not really very knowledgeable about other more appropriate safety schools. Do you have any ideas? Also cool! hadn't looked much into NY schools but I will definitely look into those. :) :)

I'm applying to Temple because my little sister is going there next year.... and she really wants me to apply. Otherwise, I'm not really very knowledgeable about other more appropriate safety schools. Do you have any ideas? Also cool! hadn't looked much into NY schools but I will definitely look into those. :) :)

Congrats on your stats--looks like you have a well-rounded app. I agree you have a terrific shot at the T20s, and T10s are definitely going to be within reach depending on how well you tell your story. Maybe look into adding Northwestern, Case, UVa, Emory, Pitt, and anywhere you have geographic ties to. These definitely aren't "safety schools", but still good options for you I think.

The only thing is that your shadowing is a little low--even if your parents are MDs, I think you should still aim for about 50 hours total. Just take a week as soon as summer starts and shadow someone full time before submitting your AMCAS. It's an easy hole in your app to fill, and your parents can probably put you in contact with someone. Best of luck this cycle!

Congrats on your stats--looks like you have a well-rounded app. I agree you have a terrific shot at the T20s, and T10s are definitely going to be within reach depending on how well you tell your story. Maybe look into adding Northwestern, Case, UVa, Emory, Pitt, and anywhere you have geographic ties to. These definitely aren't "safety schools", but still good options for you I think.

The only thing is that your shadowing is a little low--even if your parents are MDs, I think you should still aim for about 50 hours total. Just take a week as soon as summer starts and shadow someone full time before submitting your AMCAS. It's an easy hole in your app to fill, and your parents can probably put you in contact with someone. Best of luck this cycle!

Hmmm... My problem is that I really don't have much time at all at the beginning of the summer, but I will definitely try to get some more in!... Also will definitely look into Northwestern, Case, UVa, and Emory :) - all my geographic ties are in pennsylvania (family) and texas (extended family)

I was thinking more along the lines that you could get away with applying to just 1 or 2 of the schools you have listed under "back up". Add more top 20s/mid tiers instead. snowflakes has good suggestions. Maybe more NYC schools if you like them. As for shadowing- try your best to get in a couple days (8hrs) of shadowing with different specialties before applying. You only need ~4 full days of shadowing to get close to 50hrs. Having 100s of hrs of shadowing is probably not going to do much for you, but it's better to have a bare minimum so adcoms don't see a problem. They have so many apps that they are looking for reasons not to interview applicants. Weak shadowing wont destroy your application, but it could give people pause. Hopefully it isn't too hard for you to address.

You have a good list and nothing wrong with aiming high. You might consider adding or trading for Einstein, Mt Sinai, NYU, Pitt, Tufts, BU, Yale, U Chicago, Northwestern, Loyola (If you're willing to go to Mayo, you can stand a Chicago winter too!). One note about Brown, they prefer their own UGs.

Dream Schools:
Johns Hopkins
Baylor
Mayo
Vanderbilt
Harvard
UPenn
Duke
Stanford
Columbia
Brown
Wash U
Emory
Dartmouth​

Back Up Schools
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Jefferson

You have a good list and nothing wrong with aiming high. You might consider adding or trading for Einstein, Mt Sinai, NYU, Pitt, Tufts, BU, Yale, U Chicago, Northwestern, Loyola (If you're willing to go to Mayo, you can stand a Chicago winter too!). One note about Brown, they prefer their own UGs.

Dream Schools:
Johns Hopkins
Baylor
Mayo
Vanderbilt
Harvard
UPenn
Duke
Stanford
Columbia
Brown
Wash U
Emory
Dartmouth​

Back Up Schools
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Jefferson

Thanks! Can I ask why you think adding Yale would be a good idea? Do you think it would be better than some of the other schools in my reach?

Also how much shadowing would you recommend? Could I fill out my AMCAS with "shadowing expected at matriculation"? I am participating in a program that allows for medical shadowing in the fall...

You need to get shadowing in before you apply, or your app will be tanked. You need to do this so the AdComs know that you know what a doctor's day is like, and know what different doctors do (say, Family Practice vs ER vs ObGyn).

I'f you're going to aim for Harvard, why not Yale? I also threw it on because an old friend is a surgeon who went to Yale.

Thanks! Can I ask why you think adding Yale would be a good idea? Do you think it would be better than some of the other schools in my reach?

Also how much shadowing would you recommend? Could I fill out my AMCAS with "shadowing expected at matriculation"? I am participating in a program that allows for medical shadowing in the fall...

You need to get shadowing in before you apply, or your app will be tanked. You need to do this so the AdComs know that you know what a doctor's day is like, and know what different doctors do (say, Family Practice vs ER vs ObGyn).

I'f you're going to aim for Harvard, why not Yale? I also threw it on because an old friend is a surgeon who went to Yale.

Sounds good! Thank you :)

Sorry! one more question - do you think EMS counts as clinical experience? I only have a semester of volunteer work at a local hospital - because I found that I enjoyed spending my time getting to interact with patients more as a health care provider, and less as a person who gave them magazines, so I chose to put more time in EMS than in hospital volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yes, it's a great experience!

Sorry! one more question - do you think EMS counts as clinical experience? I only have a semester of volunteer work at a local hospital - because I found that I enjoyed spending my time getting to interact with patients more as a health care provider, and less as a person who gave them magazines, so I chose to put more time in EMS than in hospital volunteering.

Hi - Just an update to my school list here. In the past month I have added on 18 hours of shadowing, and am looking to get 8 more before submitting my app. Any feedback on my (tentatively) final school list? Does it need more mid-tiers?

1. Johns Hopkins
2. Baylor
3. Mayo
4. Vanderbilt
5. Harvard
6. UPenn
7. Duke
8. Stanford
9. Columbia
10. Wash U
11. Emory
12. Drexel
13. Temple
14. Case
15. Yale
16. Tufts (or BU)
17. Northwestern
18. U Chicago
19. NYU (or Sinai)
20. Cornell
21. Tulane
22. UVA (or Michigan)

Nahh I think you should apply to only Perelman...I think you've got a good shot.

Reactions: 2 users
If you're trying to apply to PA school you're in the wrong forum.

Reactions: 2 users
But are you actually a penguin? If you show up to the interview and they see that you're actually human that'll be a sure fire red flag. Never falsely claim URM status.

Reactions: 8 users
You're probably from ALaska, so the only school you should apply to is UW. That's where you have the highest chances.

EDIT: wait. nvm. forgot there are ProbablyNoPenguins near the north pole.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Note: I am feeling pretty lost right now

Don't worry OP, based on how your application looks, you will likely only have 1-2 acceptances and you won't be feeling like this again once the season is winding down.

Reactions: 3 users
Just don't bother applying. Retake MCAT for 40+, then you'll know for sure. Hope this helped.

Reactions: 3 users