3.88/513/Computer Science Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pottedcactus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. cGPA = 3.88 / sGPA = 3.85 / nsGPA = 3.90
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    1. First attempt (Jan 2017): 513 (130/126/128/129) 90th percentile
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. CA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. USC
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. 212 in LA county ER
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. 450 hours developing a proof of concept implementation of a new network protocol in the Linux operating system (technical report published through university)
    2. 110 hours over the span of 4 weeks in an imaging genetics lab modifying software tools for statistical genetics
    3. 250 hours on a clinical research project exploring the role of collaterals in a rare form of venous stroke (manuscript published to journal, abstract published to journal, poster presented at large conference)
    4. 350 hours in a neurovascular imaging lab developing training datasets for machine learning algorithms to predict and classify stroke in CT and dwMRI scans (ongoing)
    5. 500 hours with the interventional radiology department. Wide range of work including spearheading epidemiology research using a huge nationwide dataset (ongoing), two literature reviews (both published), a technical note (submitted to journal), and retrospective study (ongoing)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 88 hours / Specialties: interventional neuroradiology, interventional cardiology, emergency medicine, dermatology, gastroenterology, general surgery
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 2 hours DJing a fundraiser for pediatric patients
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. 500 hours working as a software engineering intern at large software company, 320 hours working as a security engineering intern at an information security firm
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Dean's list every semester, fellowship for research one semester, outstanding computer science student award, various scholarships
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. Computer science student with emphasis in computer security. Decided to pivot and pursue medicine senior year of college and finished pre-med reqs in 1 extra year. Looking to use my computer science background to solve problems in medicine
School List (preliminary)
Top (2):
UCSF
Duke

High (9):
UCLA
UCSD
UPitt
Northwestern
Cornell
Case Western Reserve
Mayo
Emory
UMich

Mid (6):
UVA
Keck
Ohio State University
Rochester
Dartmouth
Albert Einstein

Low (2):
UC Davis
UC Riverside

Low Yield (8):
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Tufts
New York Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Albany

I'd like to slim my list down and perhaps swap some of the schools listed above with better choices that I didn't consider. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks. How does the rest of the list look aside from Cornell, Michigan, Dartmouth, and Pitt? Are there any schools I should add?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. How does the rest of the list look beyond Cornell, Michigan, Dartmouth, and Pitt? Are there any schools I should add?
If you fit Michigan's mission / vision send them an app! I'm an incoming M1 at UMich w/ very similar stats

Here is a more realistic list:
U VM
UCF (maybe)
Duke (maybe)
Pitt (maybe)
Mayo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Oakland-B
Your state school(s).
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. cGPA = 3.88 / sGPA = 3.85 / nsGPA = 3.90
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    1. First attempt (Jan 2017): 513 (130/126/128/129) 90th percentile
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. CA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. USC
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. 212 hours of shadowing in LA county ER
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. 450 hours developing a proof of concept implementation of a new network protocol in the Linux operating system (technical report published through university)
    2. 110 hours over the span of 4 weeks in an imaging genetics lab modifying software tools for statistical genetics
    3. 250 hours on a clinical research project exploring the role of collaterals in a rare form of venous stroke (manuscript published to journal, abstract published to journal, poster presented at large conference)
    4. 350 hours in a neurovascular imaging lab developing training datasets for machine learning algorithms to predict and classify stroke in CT and dwMRI scans (ongoing)
    5. 500 hours with the interventional radiology department. Wide range of work including spearheading epidemiology research using a huge nationwide dataset (ongoing), two literature reviews (both published), a technical note (submitted to journal), and retrospective study (ongoing)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 88 hours / Specialties: interventional neuroradiology, interventional cardiology, emergency medicine, dermatology, gastroenterology, general surgery
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 2 hours DJing a fundraiser for pediatric patients
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. 500 hours working as a software engineering intern at large software company, 320 hours working as a security engineering intern at an information security firm
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Dean's list every semester, fellowship for research one semester, outstanding computer science student award, various scholarships
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. Computer science student with emphasis in computer security. Decided to pivot and pursue medicine senior year of college and finished pre-med reqs in 1 extra year. Looking to use my computer science background to solve problems in medicine
School List (preliminary)
Top (2):
UCSF
Duke

High (9):
UCLA
UCSD
UPitt
Northwestern
Cornell
Case Western Reserve
Mayo
Emory
UMich

Mid (6):
UVA
Keck
Ohio State University
Rochester
Dartmouth
Albert Einstein

Low (2):
UC Davis
UC Riverside

Low Yield (8):
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Tufts
New York Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Albany

I'd like to slim my list down and perhaps swap some of the schools listed above with better choices that I didn't consider. Thanks!