MD 3.9, 510 Mcat. What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitkat13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MD resident. Can you suggest schools to Add/Remove?

I have about 2000+ hours of strong research experience, ~250 hours of clinical volunteering, ~300 hours of non-clinical volunteering, and ~100 hours of shadowing.

My list so far:
  • UMB
  • V-tech
  • UVA
  • Albany
  • Albert Einstein
  • Drexel
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Loyola
  • U Mich
  • VCU
  • Columbia
  • Florida Atlantic University
  • Duke
  • Emory
  • Dartmouth
  • Quinnipiac University

Members don't see this ad.

You are >5 points below the median MCATs for Einstein, UMich, UVA, Columbia, Duke, Emory, and Dartmouth. You could add more schools such as GWU, Georgetown, Tulane, Temple...

Reactions: 1 user
That's fair, but I am at or near the 10%tile for some of them. Should they still be removed?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's okay to keep two or maybe even 3 of those schools as far reach schools, but they don't need to be half your list. If you are below their 10th percentile, even by a point, I would say take them off automatically.

The thing with all those reach schools is you may receive and Automatic secondary just to have them reject you later and wasting your time

GL

The thing with all those reach schools is you may receive and Automatic secondary just to have them reject you later and wasting your time

GL

Right that makes sense. Which schools are you applying to? You seem to have similar stats.

That's fair, but I am at or near the 10%tile for some of them. Should they still be removed?
None of them have to be removed, just don't consider these schools as places where you have a good shot, if that makes sense. Add more schools where you match the median student, not the 10th percentile student. After that determine how much time/money you have to spend on reaches.

Reactions: 1 users
Add a few more schools such as
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
New York Medical College

Reactions: 1 user
@NeuroSoph75 @Faha

Thanks guys!

Only reason I added the top schools was because I am super research heavy, and wasn't sure how it would be seen by schools that aren't the research powerhouses if that makes sense?

Right that makes sense. Which schools are you applying to? You seem to have similar stats.
Im applying to quite a bit lol. Ill Message you my list just so this thread isn't covered in my school list