3.92 GPA, 3.89sGPA, 27MCAT :-(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! I was wondering if you could tell me what some of the secondary prompts for some of the Florida schools. My application is still getting verified but I want to work on it now since I have time. The schools I still need are UM, FIU, FSU, and UCF. Hope its not too much of a bother. Good luck with all your apps!

FSU

Please limit your answers to 500 words per question
1.Travel

Indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances

2. Fun And Diversion
Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.)

3. Miscellaneous
Identify any other traits, habits, experiences, interests, etc., that a professor or advisor would not normally learn about you.

4.Parents
For both mother and father, give the following:

• Where they were raised
  • 4-5 traits that would describe him/her to a stranger
  • Traits you get from him/her
  • Your rapport with him/her
  • His/her hobbies or interests
5. Siblings

Give names, ages and a few brief comments about your brothers and sisters.

6. Practice Vision
In what field of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now?

7. Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions.

FIU
You must answer all 4 essays. (Limit each essay to 1200 characters including spaces.)
1. Of the experiences listed on your AMCAS application, which one activity made the greatest impact on your desire to be a physician and why?

2. Why are you specifically interested in the FIU College of Medicine and South Florida?

3. In what way(s) do you fit the mission of this medical school?. How will you contribute to the diversity of the student body of the FIU College of Medicine?

4. Identify any traits, experiences, challenges, interests, etc. that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you and that you have not already written about in your AMCAS application. Is there anything else that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about you?

UM
Answers will be limited to 375 characters
Community Work

(organized activities performed for the benefit of the community)

Employment (work experiences during the past five years that have been unrelated to science or healthcare)

Counseling/Teaching/Leadership (activities as a leader, organizer, counselor, advisor, or teacher)

Fine Arts (activities involving dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.)

Sports (organized team sports or recreational activities that you play, watch, or follow)

Journalism (activities in which you served as a writer or editor)

Travel (describe your most memorable travel experience)

Hobbies (what do you do/collect for fun and relaxation)

Narrative One
Briefly describe the one healthcare experience you have had that most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not send or simply copy information from your personal statement in your AMCAS application. Limit your answer to 1,875 characters.

Narrative TwoWhy do you want to study medicine at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine? Be as specific as possible and limit your response to this space. If you specifically chose the Miami campus or the Boca Raton campus to attend, write your response with regard to that campus. Be as specific as possible and limit your response to 1000 characters.

UCF

Responses should be limited to a maximum of 300 words for each response
* Required Item
2Please provide information about medical volunteering, shadowing, or medical work experiences that are NOT included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

3Please provide information about community service that is NOT included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

4Please provide information about research experience that is NOT included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

5Please provide information about teamwork experience that is NOT included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

6Please provide any additional information about leadership experience that is NOT included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

7Please provide information about unique, high-level accomplishments that are NOT included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

8Please provide information regarding hardships that you might have overcome that are NOT included in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

9If you were required to work during your college years, please provide a short description why employment was necessary. (This area may be left blank)

10Please provide any information that you would like the UCF COM Medical Student Admissions Committee to consider that has not been addressed in your AMCAS application. (This area may be left blank)

Essay

Please provide a 1-2 page essay to help us understand who you are. Include what you can contribute to your class, the medical profession in general, as well as descriptions of significant events or circumstances that have shaped your character. Please also include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, travels, and specific goals you may have achieved. This essay should be different than your AMCAS Personal Statement.
  • This essay should be NO MORE THAN two pages, single spaced, with one inch margins.
  • Descriptions should be entered using a 10 to 12 point Times New Roman or similarly easy-to-read font.

Members don't see this ad.

Wise words! I've been keeping tabs on your progress, because we're in such similar situations, and it seems like both of us applied and finished our applications for most schools at the same time! Hopefully the early aspect pays off for both of us. I hope this application year goes very well for you! It looks like you're off to a good start!

Congrats for Albert Einstein!! What an awesome school :thumbup: Keep us updated with all your successes!:xf:

Thanks! I was really surprised about that invite haha. I thought for sure I would never even be considered. This proves that some schools do actually look at your entire application, rather than only numbers. Keep me updated too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Reidmike you give me hope!

My MCAT is a 29R 9 10 10 after a retake! I only improved 3 points in VR...The test hates me.
but my GPA is lower than yours, it's a 3.8
I'm also a FL resident.

Hello, we had talked a while back :) You've probably forgotten me by now :p

Rumor has it that you have landed an interview, and I just wanted to extend my congrats and good luck! :luck: :xf:

Rumor has it that you have landed an interview, and I just wanted to extend my congrats and good luck! :luck: :xf:

Dude, shes totally hitting on you. Whatever you do, dont tell her your MCAT score.

Come back to WAMC.

Dude, shes totally hitting on you. Whatever you do, dont tell her your MCAT score.

She already knows what it is. I don't usually talk about MCAT scores with girls anyways. I don't exactly think talking about that sort of thing is a turn on, no matter what the score is.

Thank you so much and I do remember you! Albert Einstein and I think West Virginia (sent the secondary so waiting to hear back). I will keep you updated though. The first interview is in September.

Reidmike you give me hope!

My MCAT is a 29R 9 10 10 after a retake! I only improved 3 points in VR...The test hates me.
but my GPA is lower than yours, it's a 3.8
I'm also a FL resident.

I'm sure the .1 difference in GPA is nothing really. You have 2 points higher than me on the MCAT so it kinda evens out, I think. Just keep going and try to keep positive. I know how you must feel and, not to say that I will get in this time, but you just have to trust in yourself and realize that its not the end of the world if we don't get in this year. I'm happy I give you some hope though!

She already knows what it is. I don't usually talk about MCAT scores with girls anyways. I don't exactly think talking about that sort of thing is a turn on, no matter what the score is.

1. Yes, I can see that, its in your title.
2. Learn to multi-quote. Its the icon with the (+) button.
3. I always tell girls what my MCAT score is. And if they ask me whats the MCAT, I leave immediately.

Hey reidmike, just wanted to wish you good luck! i've read thru this thread and i must say im impressed.....i think that you'll be a very very good doctor =)

keep up with the optimism! let us know how the whole process go!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey reidmike, just wanted to wish you good luck! i've read thru this thread and i must say im impressed.....i think that you'll be a very very good doctor =)

keep up with the optimism! let us know how the whole process go!

I really appreciate that! I will keep you all updated for sure.

Last edited:
Already slept with him.

imaginationb.jpg

pics or it didnt happen

At ChemEngSoonMD:

Maybe if you weren't 4channing so much you would be in med school by now. Maybe if you ask me nicely, I'll post them on 4chan for you. :smuggrin:

At ChemEngSoonMD:

Maybe if you weren't 4channing so much you would be in med school by now. Maybe if you ask me nicely, I'll post them on 4chan for you. :smuggrin:

Actually, I could have been almost done with med school if I decided to have gone straight from undergrad. I think working 4 years of engineering has giving additional perspectives in life and problem solving.

Actually, I could have been almost done with med school if I decided to have gone straight from undergrad. I think working 4 years of engineering has giving additional perspectives in life and problem solving.

Yeah, whatever, cry more. I bet you would enjoy those pictures /b/****. It's the only action you'll ever receive. Maybe you should stay in your basement, but instead of flaming people, you could have been done with med school.

Yeah, whatever, cry more. I bet you would enjoy those pictures /b/****. It's the only action you'll ever receive. Maybe you should stay in your basement, but instead of flaming people, you could have been done with med school.

Brb, crying and not getting any. My basement is huge.

What about FSU? They have a fairly low MCAT average. This MCAT thing has been haunting me everyday lol. It's like I can hear the admissions people saying "oh it looks like you worked really hard throughout high school and college to get good grades and extracurricular activities to show that medicine is your passion, pretty solid science scores...oooh...wait... SORRRY that ONE verbal section means that you suck at life!" haha. I really can't take that test again this year. I studied FOREVER with everything I could find and still wasn't scoring over a 30. I actually thought I did really poorly on the physical section, not verbal lol.

Good News: I was in your case last year. I got accepted to FSU with a 26. I will start in 2010 due to deferment. I am not a URM. FSU has a specific type of student that they want to attract so if you fit that type you will get an interview. So you have a chance, since I have similar ECs.

Bad News: I am sorry to say but you really have no shot at USF (unless you are an URM). I go here for undergrad and the med admin told me that I needed a 30 for an interview. My friend was told the same thing. He got a 29 and wasnt invited for an interview at USF, either. BTW He got an 8 on the verbal.

good luck

Last edited:
Good News: I was in your case last year. I got accepted to FSU with a 26. I will start in 2010 due to deferment. I am not a URM. FSU has a specific type of student that they want to attract so if you fit that type you will get an interview. So you have a chance, since I have similar ECs.

Bad News: I am sorry to say but you really have no shot at USF (unless you are an URM). I go here for undergrad and the med admin told me that I needed a 30 for an interview. My friend was told the same thing. He got a 29 and wasnt invited for an interview at USF, either. BTW He got an 8 on the verbal.

good luck

Hmm really?
I had a friend last year who got an interview with USF with a 29. He was not a URM either, but he did get waitlisted though.

Not to pick a fight, but your comments are rather inflammatory. The OP was asking a question and you belittled his undergrad career.

I was a physics major and chem minor in undergrad, did two years of med school and I'm now doing a PhD in engineering before finishing med school so I can tell you with some authority that no one in med school cares that you had a "hard" major in college. Adcoms aren't going to add 0.5 to your GPA and clamor all over themselves to admit you just because you think chemical engineering is more a more difficult major than history (or whatever the OP studied). Just give it a rest.

Good luck getting past the interview, if you even get that far.

OP: You do have a good GPA and it might mitigate the effect of the low MCAT. I see you've received an interview. That's a very good sign. Good luck! :thumbup:

Going to my first interview next Thursday at Albert Einstein. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and advice. My Drexel interview is next month. I still haven't heard from any Florida schools yet. AE's average MCAT makes me a bit worried about the possibility of being waitlisted, but I'm going into it with a positive attitude. :xf:

Going to my first interview next Thursday at Albert Einstein. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and advice. My Drexel interview is next month. I still haven't heard from any Florida schools yet. AE's average MCAT makes me a bit worried about the possibility of being waitlisted, but I'm going into it with a positive attitude. :xf:

Good Luck!
Amaze them at the interview!;)

Good luck.

I'd much rather have a low GPA and a high MCAT than the other way around. That just means you had an easy major.

Well that is just crazy. A low MCAT score is fixable--it takes 5 hours. A low GPA is likely permanent.

I just read your stats. Research and hospice too? I think you're golden. Congrats on the interviews my man.

Really? Seems quite impressive to me. Maybe it's just where I am from but not many people hospice volunteer. I've never seen someone do research and hospice.

How is that golden? Seems average to me...

5 hours? :laugh:

looking at this table, http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm, i would much rather have a high mcat score than a high gpa if I had to choose 1 vs the other

I had a high GPA and a low MCAT score. I retook the exam and now I have a high MCAT score. Took only 5 hours and like 3 months of prepping.
If I had a low GPA and an High MCAT score to start with it would have taken me at least a year to build my GPA up depending how low it was.

So i definitely vote in having a high GPA and a low MCAT than vice-versa.

GPA>>MCAT scores

Congrats on your interviews. Hopefully the same schools will give me an interview too. Hey maybe we will be class mates. Who knows...

I had a low GPA, high MCAT, and multiple acceptances. QED.

I know it's still relatively early in the cycle, but I'm beginning to doubt things more and more as the weeks go by. I am really grateful for my two interviews though. My Drexel interview is next week, but other than that I haven't heard anything besides rejections (now up to five). It's kind of difficult to continue being positive when 90% of the feedback is negative from schools. All I can say is it's going to be a long fall/winter. I won't find out the decision from Drexel until, at least, the middle of November and AE doesn't decide until January. I am still hoping a few of my state schools will come through, but, so far, nothing at all. I guess I'm feeling the effects of my lower MCAT score full force right now, as my classmates with 31s-38s are getting invites from multiple state schools and mid-higher tier schools. I'll continue to update though, whether good or bad. Good luck to everyone!

I know it's still relatively early in the cycle, but I'm beginning to doubt things more and more as the weeks go by. I am really grateful for my two interviews though. My Drexel interview is next week, but other than that I haven't heard anything besides rejections (now up to five). It's kind of difficult to continue being positive when 90% of the feedback is negative from schools. All I can say is it's going to be a long fall/winter. I won't find out the decision from Drexel until, at least, the middle of November and AE doesn't decide until January. I am still hoping a few of my state schools will come through, but, so far, nothing at all. I guess I'm feeling the effects of my lower MCAT score full force right now, as my classmates with 31s-38s are getting invites from multiple state schools and mid-higher tier schools. I'll continue to update though, whether good or bad. Good luck to everyone!

Don't feel bad. Your Drexel interview invite would ensure at least a 50% chance of acceptance. So you are fine. I am pretty sure you will hear from one of your florida state schools soon.

I had the same feelling as you a week ago, because I got a mediocre GPA (~3.6) and 28 and only two interviews (both during their first days of interview). I thought that would be it for me, then, yesterday, I got another interview offer from VCU (OOS). So at this pace, I would be getting at least 5 interviews. Don't lose your hope like I did earlier.

Since my stats are lower than yours, I am sure you will do better. I think I saw your previous posts that you mentioned you also have this interview at West Virginia. Personally, I think you are fine. However, I applied to osteopathic schools as well, so I could really use them as my backup.

Don't feel bad. Your Drexel interview invite would ensure at least a 50% chance of acceptance. So you are fine. I am pretty sure you will hear from one of your florida state schools soon.

I had the same feelling as you a week ago, because I got a mediocre GPA (~3.6) and 28 and only two interviews (both during their first days of interview). I thought that would be it for me, then, yesterday, I got another interview offer from VCU (OOS). So at this pace, I would be getting at least 5 interviews. Don't lose your hope like I did earlier.

Since my stats are lower than yours, I am sure you will do better. I think I saw your previous posts that you mentioned you also have this interview at West Virginia. Personally, I think you are fine. However, I applied to osteopathic schools as well, so I could really use them as my backup.

Congrats on your new interview invite and thanks for the encouragement! If I could just get 2-3 more invites I would feel a lot better about my chances this year. I have been updating the schools that I feel I have the best shot at, but I don't really know how much that helps. It's making me sick how often I check my email throughout the day lol.

Hey man I just got my MCAT scores today and am in a similar situation (3.9 and 28).. Good luck on your interviews and dont listen to those negative dbags that like to brag about their high MCAT scores. I am sure MCAT scores will bear little relevance on becoming a good doctor..

Best of luck!!

Hey man I just got my MCAT scores today and am in a similar situation (3.9 and 28).. Good luck on your interviews and dont listen to those negative dbags that like to brag about their high MCAT scores. I am sure MCAT scores will bear little relevance on becoming a good doctor..

Best of luck!!

Haha thanks man...Good luck to you too!

Just was accepted to my first school earlier today!! I still am in shock! Thanks to all of you who have provided encouragement and honest opinions throughout the cycle!! Still waiting on 3 more decisions post-interview, but I am honored to be accepted by one school :D

Congrats!
:thumbup:

You can celebrate!

Hang in there, because rejections always come before acceptances in this process. It's really easy to let self-doubt take its toll. There is absolutely no doubt that a low VR score will hurt you at a few places, and that's what you'll see first. But once that wave is done, good news will come. I know it's easy to say "stay positive", but you have to. An acceptance and a few waitlist slots will come in time, and once they do, you'll be amazed at how fast the swagger will return.

For what it's worth, having read your candid and honest posts in this thread, especially when the banned arogant loser was trying to bait you into a cyber fight, you no doubt interviewed well and will make an amazing doctor. Trust that there is a school or two out there who will look past your one low score and see your great overall package and the potential you have. The physician community needs you.

Good luck!

______________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm adding this edit, because I posted the above reply before reading that you were accepted!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You'll be an amazing doctor and thankfully someone with the power to accept you to medical school saw that too.

Last edited: