3.92 GPA 517 MCAT...Need help constructing a list...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pr1d3D0c

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am trying to construct my medical school list and need a little help/direction with what to add (so I do not add too many reaches to my list for example).

Currently, I have submitted my AMCAS with these schools:
UMD (state school)
Weill
Hofstra
VTech

I am trying to find a few more...here is a little about me:
Major: Health Policy
GPA: 3.92 (top 20 school, if it matters)
SGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 517 (130/128/130/129)
Male
White
State: MD

Personal Statement: discusses my sudden conversion to medicine from economics during the summer between freshman and sophomore year, also talks about family history with alzheimer's and my interest in neurosurgery/science as a result

ECs (all listed on app):

hospital volunteer ~525 hours, (5 years including high school)
-volunteered from high school into college
-won college scholarship and president's award for hospital service

orthopedic surgeon shadowing ~40 hours currently, (this summer and fall)
-continuing shadowing through summer and fall semester

student tutor (paid) for both statistics and biology ~60 hours a semester, (2 years continuing)

student research (paid) ~200 hours a semester, (3 years continuing)
-No publications (yet)
-Research Conference Presentation

summer fellowship ~400 hours for the summer, (this summer)
-Devised my own project studying fly genetics
-PI wrote recommendation

alzheimer's association conference attended
-learned about new research in alzheimer's treatment

peer adviser ~20 hours a semester, (2 years continuing)

pianist (16 years)
-classically trained
-played in hospitals and nursing homes

weightlifter (4 years)
-lost 60 lbs through college, now go to gym daily

skiier (8 years)
-skiied in colorado, utah, montana, wyoming and with school outdoor group

I received my undergrads highest recommendation in the committee letter, if that adds anything...I like the NY schools and also may want to try Hopkins...does anyone have an idea of what kind of schools I should be adding as reaches and "safeties"?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I want to add in a bump and also give the list I have begun constructing:

REACH
Cornell (This is my dream school)
Columbia
Icahn
JHU
Harvard

FIT
Brown
Dartmouth
Yeshiva
Tufts

SAFETIES
UMD
Hofstra
VTech
NYMC

I'm thinking I need to add in two more fit schools...

You could add schools such as:
Boston University
Rochester
A few more "safeties" such as Tulane, St. Louis, Georgetown, GW.

Members don't see this ad :)
just to add I have heard that it is not beneficial to talk about one specialty in your PS because it makes you seem unlikely to explore all that medicine has to offer. Best of luck this cyle.

Thanks! Any other school suggestions? I added Emory to my matches.

just to add I have heard that it is not beneficial to talk about one specialty in your PS because it makes you seem unlikely to explore all that medicine has to offer. Best of luck this cyle.
So what do you think of my list, do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for your opinion!

I'm not qualified to give a nuanced opinion but I think you have a great profile based on what I have seen in these last 2 years.
Also brown favors the undergrads and Darmouth likes nontrads( not saying they won't look at you) add your state school if you haven't already.

Va Tech and NYMC aren't "safeties" you arent really a high yield candidate for NYMC on top of their 13k apps already and Va Tech has a very small class.
You dont really fit what Brown looks for either(exception is if you went there for UG)
Maryland is as competitive as a state as there is, really you only have about 4-5 schools you can call "targets" saying you have a realistic shot at getting a II at. In many states at 3.9/35 that's probably enough. In Maryland, that's playing with fire to some extent. I would look to add another half dozen schools like that. Get MSAR if you dont have it already and look for schools with an MCAT median around 33-34 that get <11k apps(ie SLU, Miami etc)

Va Tech and NYMC aren't "safeties" you arent really a high yield candidate for NYMC on top of their 13k apps already and Va Tech has a very small class.
You dont really fit what Brown looks for either(exception is if you went there for UG)
Maryland is as competitive as a state as there is, really you only have about 4-5 schools you can call "targets" saying you have a realistic shot at getting a II at. In many states at 3.9/35 that's probably enough. In Maryland, that's playing with fire to some extent. I would look to add another half dozen schools like that. Get MSAR if you dont have it already and look for schools with an MCAT median around 33-34 that get <11k apps(ie SLU, Miami etc)
Thanks, so would you say my targets are Dartmouth, Einstein, Tufts, and Emory? How do my reaches look?

Also, does anyone else have suggestions, its all very much appreciated!

I just want a little more feedback...could someone add in other target schools I could add? I wasn't very interested in Rochester or Georgetown...additionally, is adding those top schools a reasonable thing to do with my MCAT and GPA?

I think it's fair for you to keep your reaches as they are. A handful of reaches, if you have the money to afford the app fees, is not going to harm you.

Here's a list you could look at:
REACH
Cornell
Columbia
Icahn
JHU
Harvard
Case Western
UChicago
UMich
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale

FIT
Dartmouth
Einstein
Tufts
UMD
BU
Emory
Hofstra
GW
Georgetown
USC/Keck
NYU
Northwestern - might be more of a reach
Iowa/Carver
Miami
UPitt
Rochester

SAFETIES
VTech
NYMC
Albany
Quinnipiac
Temple
Loyola
SLU
Jefferson
Tulane
UVM
VCU

Obviously don't apply to all of those schools. This just helps you break down which school fits into what category for you. Apply to 1-4 reaches, 5-10 fits, and 4-8 safeties. Only apply to a school you would consider going to, so if the fit doesn't seem right when you're perusing the website, toss that school out.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's fair for you to keep your reaches as they are. A handful of reaches, if you have the money to afford the app fees, is not going to harm you.

Here's a list you could look at:
REACH
Cornell
Columbia
Icahn
JHU
Harvard
Case Western
UChicago
UMich
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale

FIT
Dartmouth
Einstein
Tufts
UMD
BU
Emory
Hofstra
GW
Georgetown
USC/Keck
NYU
Northwestern - might be more of a reach
Iowa/Carver
Miami
UPitt
Rochester

SAFETIES
VTech
NYMC
Albany
Quinnipiac
Temple
Loyola
SLU
Jefferson
Tulane
UVM
VCU

Obviously don't apply to all of those schools. This just helps you break down which school fits into what category for you. Apply to 1-4 reaches, 5-10 fits, and 4-8 safeties. Only apply to a school you would consider going to, so if the fit doesn't seem right when you're perusing the website, toss that school out.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

This is super helpful. I really like NYU and think I will add that if it goes into the fit category (I was mainly shying away because I was afraid I would be adding another unlikely reach). And I think I will also add Quinnipiac as a safety/easier type school. Why are USC and NYU considered a fit? I'm just sort of curious there...

Also, I applied last year with similar stats (but slightly lower MCAT)/ECs as you. Most of my interviews were in my "reach" category, so I wouldn't skimp there!

This is super helpful. I really like NYU and think I will add that if it goes into the fit category (I was mainly shying away because I was afraid I would be adding another unlikely reach). And I think I will also add Quinnipiac as a safety/easier type school. Why are USC and NYU considered a fit? I'm just sort of curious there...
I added them to "fit" because they have MCAT averages right around your score and I know people who interviewed there in the past with similar stats/ECs as you. NYU is probably closer to a reach than USC but I think you might have success at both. I think your application has the potential to be successful at the Case Western/Mt Sinai/NYU/Keck/Northwestern type. The only way you'll know for sure is by applying to those types of schools.

If you haven't already purchased MSAR, I really recommend getting it. It's definitely worth the money and it will help you figure out where you fall with all the schools on that list.

Also, I applied last year with similar stats (but slightly lower MCAT)/ECs as you. Most of my interviews were in my "reach" category, so I wouldn't skimp there!
Where did you end up interviewing/going?

I added them to "fit" because they have MCAT averages right around your score and I know people who interviewed there in the past with similar stats/ECs as you. NYU is probably closer to a reach than USC but I think you might have success at both. I think your application has the potential to be successful at the Case Western/Mt Sinai/NYU/Keck/Northwestern type. The only way you'll know for sure is by applying to those types of schools.

If you haven't already purchased MSAR, I really recommend getting it. It's definitely worth the money and it will help you figure out where you fall with all the schools on that list.
I have it but I have trouble sifting through the schools because they do not have much info on the new MCAT exams. Thanks for the help! My school's adviser also recommended Northwestern at length so I am researching it as well.

I have it but I have trouble sifting through the schools because they do not have much info on the new MCAT exams. Thanks for the help! My school's adviser also recommended Northwestern at length so I am researching it as well.
I recommend converting the new MCAT to the old MCAT using the percentile conversion method that @efle (I think! sorry if they didn't) designed. That will allow you to get a general idea of where you fall in relation to previously accepted students.

Your're golden; aim high:

I suggest:

Harvard
Wash U
Yale
Stanford
U Chicago
U Penn
U VA
U MI
U VM
U WI
Ohio State
Jefferson
U IA
UCSF
UCLA,
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra
U MD

So I am trying to construct my medical school list and need a little help/direction with what to add (so I do not add too many reaches to my list for example).

Currently, I have submitted my AMCAS with these schools:
UMD (state school)
Weill
Hofstra
VTech

I am trying to find a few more...here is a little about me:
Major: Health Policy
GPA: 3.92 (top 20 school, if it matters)
SGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 517 (130/128/130/129)
Male
White
State: MD

Personal Statement: discusses my sudden conversion to medicine from economics during the summer between freshman and sophomore year, also talks about family history with alzheimer's and my interest in neurosurgery/science as a result

ECs (all listed on app):

hospital volunteer ~525 hours, (5 years including high school)
-volunteered from high school into college
-won college scholarship and president's award for hospital service

orthopedic surgeon shadowing ~40 hours currently, (this summer and fall)
-continuing shadowing through summer and fall semester

student tutor (paid) for both statistics and biology ~60 hours a semester, (2 years continuing)

student research (paid) ~200 hours a semester, (3 years continuing)
-No publications (yet)
-Research Conference Presentation

summer fellowship ~400 hours for the summer, (this summer)
-Devised my own project studying fly genetics
-PI wrote recommendation

alzheimer's association conference attended
-learned about new research in alzheimer's treatment

peer adviser ~20 hours a semester, (2 years continuing)

pianist (16 years)
-classically trained
-played in hospitals and nursing homes

weightlifter (4 years)
-lost 60 lbs through college, now go to gym daily

skiier (8 years)
-skiied in colorado, utah, montana, wyoming and with school outdoor group

I received my undergrads highest recommendation in the committee letter, if that adds anything...I like the NY schools and also may want to try Hopkins...does anyone have an idea of what kind of schools I should be adding as reaches and "safeties"?

Your're golden; aim high:

I suggest:

Harvard
Wash U
Yale
Stanford
U Chicago
U Penn
U VA
U MI
U VM
U WI