3.95 cGPA, 3.94 sGPA, 520 MCAT, schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roorooroo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm applying next cycle and would like any input on what schools to apply to.

NY Resident, ORM
3.95 cGPA, 3.94 sGPA, Top 20 Undergrad
520 MCAT (131 C/P, 129 CARS, 131 B/B, 129 P/S) (9/1/2016)
My EC's are very weak.
- 150 hours shadowing/rounds
- 3 years research, 2 posters, probably no publications at time of application (1 under review)
(Did a SURF program and won an award proposal)
- 50 hours volunteering. (I know this is terrible, but since I'm applying next cycle I am starting volunteering now, and I should have 200 hours by application time.)
- Student activities council chair
- 100 hours volunteering at free clinic
- Vice President of a club that organized group events for foreign language students
- 100 hours free tutor for low-income students through a school program

I plan to take one gap year, and I'm hoping to do a research fellowship and continue volunteering. My school list right now includes all the schools in NY excluding Buffalo, and then I'm stuck. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get some decent volunteer time in with patients (> 200 hrs, but really, the more, the better.) then I suggest the following:

Harvard
Wash U
Yale
Stanford
U Chicago
U Penn
U VA
U MI
U AZ
U Colorado
U VM
U WI
Ohio State
Jefferson
U IA
UCSF
UCLA,
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra

Hello, I'm applying next cycle and would like any input on what schools to apply to.

NY Resident, ORM
3.95 cGPA, 3.94 sGPA, Top 20 Undergrad
520 MCAT (131 C/P, 129 CARS, 131 B/B, 129 P/S) (9/1/2016)
My EC's are very weak.
- 150 hours shadowing/rounds
- 3 years research, 2 posters, probably no publications at time of application (1 under review)
(Did a SURF program and won an award proposal)
- 50 hours volunteering. (I know this is terrible, but since I'm applying next cycle I am starting volunteering now, and I should have 200 hours by application time.)
- Student activities council chair
- 100 hours volunteering at free clinic
- Vice President of a club that organized group events for foreign language students
- 100 hours free tutor for low-income students through a school program

I plan to take one gap year, and I'm hoping to do a research fellowship and continue volunteering. My school list right now includes all the schools in NY excluding Buffalo, and then I'm stuck. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got it. Thank you!!

If you can get some decent volunteer time in with patients (> 200 hrs, but really, the more, the better.) then I suggest the following:

Harvard
Wash U
Yale
Stanford
U Chicago
U Penn
U VA
U MI
U AZ
U Colorado
U VM
U WI
Ohio State
Jefferson
U IA
UCSF
UCLA,
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra

Apply to most of the top 20 other than U Washington, UCSD, and perhaps UCLA. Apply to a few mid tier schools (USC-Keck, Hosftra, Rochester, Einstein, UVA, Emory, etc). Apply to all the NY state schools.

Increase volunteering, esp. clinical volunteering if you can, but otherwise you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Just for some encouragement.. I have a similar app this year and have been successful with a list similar to Goro's. You got this!!! Just continue to volunteer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

OP don't get comfortable and end up applying to only 10 schools with half of them being top ivies. This happens all the time with applicants with your awesome numbers then they are dumbfounded when its January and they have heard nothing. I would seriously use the list above and keep it broad.

Echoing what others have said. Your app looks exactly like mine except I have more service and less research. I've done decently well this cycle (10 II, 4 of which at top schools), and you will too. Just make sure to apply to a lot of schools, like other people are recommending.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Goro's list has 37 schools. With OP's top stats, how many school should OP apply?

Just out of curiosity, why are you excluding Buffalo?

Just out of curiosity, why are you excluding Buffalo?
Sorry for replying to you so late - thanks to everyone for all the advice!

I went to Buffalo twice and I don't plan on going back. Something about that place just makes me uncomfortable.

Sorry for replying to you so late - thanks to everyone for all the advice!

I went to Buffalo twice and I don't plan on going back. Something about that place just makes me uncomfortable.