3.95 cGPA, 4.0 mGPA, but 26MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nbmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 4.0 mGPA in Biochem, and 3.95 cGPA. I have several years of research experience in a lab and several independent research projects under my belt. Additionally, I have tons of involvement and leadership positions. Can any suggest to apply this year or do post bach?

Members don't see this ad.

Post bac won't help you. A post bac is to show that you can handle science courses and increase a low GPA. You already have as high a GPA as you can pretty much get. All you can really do now is retake the MCAT and get more experience. But MCAT should be the 1st priority if you want to go MD not DO. Those stats could definitely get you into a DO school though.

There's no reason for you to do a post-bacc, but you should definitely focus on getting a better MCAT score. I don't know all your stats but if you get around 35 on your MCAT you can have a good chance at mid upper-tier med schools. Also shadowing and volunteering will give you a boost.

Members don't see this ad :)
You really do need an MCAT retake if you plan to be competitive for MD. It's not impossible to be accepted with a high GPA and low MCAT, but if you want to maximize your chances you really should be aiming for a 29+ score. What is your state of residency?

As other people have suggested, for MD retake the MCAT. Try to aim for 30+. Your GPA is quite high, I don't see a need for you do do a Post Bac. I don't know the full extent of your EC's, but really, your MCAT score would keep you out of medical schools. I'd suggest to take time off, retake the MCAT, and possibly do some extra EC's to add more experience. Don't need to waste your money going back to College.