3.95 gpa 31 MCAT (retake)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cep296

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have a 3.95 GPA but a 31 (10PS,11VR,10BS) MCAT. However this is a retake (first score was a 29(10,10,9)). The first time I was just unprepared: I was given a great opportunity to travel for research, which required finishing my project at my university as well as setting up the new project so I had little time to fully prepare.
For the second time around, my practice exam average was 35+ but when it came to test day there was just bad timing issues for my best section (PS).

How much will this hurt me/will I have a chance to talk about it?

2.5+years research--honors project (received multiple thesis awards)
poster presentation at international conference (and soon publication as 1st author)
summer research--human computer interaction
3+years ER volunteering
Hospice volunteer
Grant Committee Member
multiple employments, honors/awards, mission trip, will be working this coming year as a grant coordinator/researcher on a project looking at early predictors of autism, Honor Societies & Premed Frat member.

I'm currently planning on applying to all chicago area schools, Wisconsin, but also some NYC schools (including NYU-where i did my undergrad).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What's the problem you're asking about? I don't see one

What's the problem you're asking about? I don't see one

retaking and only scoring 2 points higher, and not really in the range that would be expected for my GPA (and what I expected).

...clearly I've been spending a lot of time on sdn looking at what is "good enough."

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter. Apply with what you have

What are your projected schools? That mcat could keep you out of the top tier but your research could pull you back in.

Your chances are going to vary significantly based on which schools you apply to

retaking and only scoring 2 points higher, and not really in the range that would be expected for my GPA (and what I expected).

...clearly I've been spending a lot of time on sdn looking at what is "good enough."

There are plenty of people with 4.0 GPA's that score between 25-30 on the MCAT. It is no a surprise at all to adcoms to see this happen. The MCAT tests a different skill set than coursework. Scoring 2 points better is a great improvement and your combo of 3.95/31 will give you a great chance at a wide range of schools.