3.95 GPA, Unknown MCAT, Decent EC's - What to do from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkwhattodomkay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Technically speaking I don't know that being a scribe is a full substitute for shadowing, but you still have a ton of clinical exposure and outstanding ECs so I don't think anyone will care.

seriously?

either a brag thread or a troll thread. It's akin to someone running the 100 meter dash in 7 seconds and asking if they will make the high school track team.

Members don't see this ad :)
you need to take your MCAT before you get in anywhere, so spend time and energy on that. As far as the scribe. thing, I've seen scribes around in ERs who follow the doctor into the
room and are there for the whole encounter and press buttons on the EMR
application on the doctors laptop, essentially writing a note for him. is it this sort of experience? if so, then I'd say it counts.

and I'm sorry to disappoint you but i think the journals you're published in need better impact factors
for medical schools to even consider you. have you looked into the caribbean?

I agree that the MCAT is my next step, and I am working hard to crush it.

As a scribe, I follow the doctor around while I take notes for them. I then am in charge of writing down all the labs/CTs/Xrays/etc, take and place calls for the doctor, and order things for them as needed. I then write up all the discharge paperwork, meet with the patient for discharge, and all that. Of course, everything I do is supervised by the physician, but it is like a shadowing experience on steroids so I don't see why it wouldn't be counted as shadowing.

I'm just trying to figure out what weaknesses I do have for the top schools. I know I have a good application. I'll probably get in somewhere if I don't bomb the MCAT. What I am asking is what weaknesses do I have for the top 10? Assuming I get a 35+ MCAT (a lofty goal I know) what else do I not have that other top 10 matriculants have?

Thanks!

honestly, I think your hobbies and random things list is what may set you apart. I think the unique and very personal non-academic things you do for pleasure like scuba, mountaineering, and all that stuff will make for great conversation and interpersonal connection. They sort of give your application that extra dimension that says "hey, I'm not just a weird robot that studies and has no friends!", so play them up and let admissions officers see you for who you really are. Aftet you get your great MCAT and all that, the other 90% will be luck, seriously. It's all sort of random, but I imagine you'll get in somewhere desirable. Othet than that, just keep on doing whatever you've been doing. good luck!

You've probably got a good chance of landing a top 20 acceptance with a solid MCAT. Great activities, but none of them really stood out to me as exceptional besides your research. How serious are your hobbies? You can message me if you want some ideas of things to bolster your application, I think you'll be fine though. The most important thing is doing well on the MCAT. If you really want to solidify your chance of getting into a top school you should aim as high as you possibly can, not just mid 30s. Good luck!

how do you know the quality of your LOR's?

I think he's estimating based off of his perceived relationship with each of his writers. Be careful though OP, most people think they have strong LORs... which means that in reality many of them only have average recommendations.

Hey all,

I'm just wondering where you think my weaknesses are for the top schools. My hours are approximated but give a good idea where I am.

GPA: 3.95
MCAT: Haven't taken. Currently getting mid-30's on AAMC practice tests.
Mid-Tier State School
B.S. Psychology with minor in Neuroscience

Clinical Experience
Hospital Volunteer with Clinical Experience - 100 hours over 2 years
ER Scribe - 1500 hours over 1 year

Non-Clinical Volunteering
Christian Outreach Ministry - Numerous hours over 4 years, leadership (at one of the most diverse high schools in the nation), summer camp staff, etc.
Make-A-Wish Foundation Wish Granter - 100 hours over 1 year
Undergraduate Mentor - 100 hours over 1 year
AVID Tutor (same diverse high school) - 100 hours over 6 months
German Club Co-Founder and VP - 50 hours over 1 school year
Court-Appointed Special Advocates - Hundreds of hours over 10+ years

Leadership
Undergraduate Mentor (as described above)
German Club Co-Founder and VP (as described above)
Christian Outreach Ministry (as described above)
AVID Tutor (as described above)

Awards
Outstanding Psychology Student of the Year
Outstanding Psychology Undergraduate Research
Full-Ride Scholarship to State School
Research Awards (as described below)
Deans list and all that crap
Numerous other small scholarships

Shadowing
ER Scribe (as described above) - 1500 hours over 1 year

Research
Research Assistant - Thousands of hours over 3 years including independent projects and numerous grants/fellowships, multiple abstracts and posters, 1 mid-author publication, and 1 first-author publication (both impact factor of around 8).

Letters
Research PI/Science Letter - excellent
Research Post-Doc - excellent
Psych Professor - excellent
Biology Professor - good
ER Physician - excellent
ER Physician #2 - excellent
Christian Outreach Area Director - excellent

Hobbies and Random Things
SCUBA Diving
Traveling (studied abroad in high school and numerous other trips)
Mountaineering
Triathlons
Piano for 15 years

Does the ER scribe experience count as shadowing? That could be a weak point. Also, are any of my EC's lacking for the top schools?

Thanks in advance!
Your ECs as you describe them look terrific. Yes, scribing includes embedded shadowing (though it's safer to include the word "Shadowing" in the activity title and description a few times), but the view you've gotten of medicine is a bit one-sided. if you can get it in, I suggest that you follow an office-based primary care doc for 8-10 hours minimum. A lot of interview questions can hinge on one's observations of longitudinal care.

I think your ECs are beyond decent, they are very good! Congrats! Make sure to mention each EC only once on your actual application. Some of them are doubled up here. Definitely concentrate on the MCAT and also start drafting the personal statement. Apply early! I think your chances are great! Congrats!

Get a 34+ and you'll look good on paper provided you write your stuff up well on your app. Try and relate your activities to things you have learned that will make you a good physician.

When you get to interviews you should try to remember stories from your activities that demonstrate your positive traits. These will be your tools in interviews, and will allow you to sell yourself and be interesting at the same time.

You a good app, but you can truly optimize it with some subtle things like I just mentioned. O and make sure to kill the MCAT, it seems to be the last piece of the puzzle for u.

mid-tier state school. hmmmm. have you considered transferring?

serious answer: do well on the MCAT, and definitely get some different clinical exposure. 1500 hours is a lot but its in only one setting (I presume).

OP are you in California?

Because in that case, your biggest weakness is being from California. Even with your stats top schools in CA can be a crapshoot.

Otherwise, I think you're in great shape!