Got a recruitment letter from Walmart today - up to 50K sign-on bonuses for rural Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rph3664

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Never thought I'd see retail sign-on bonuses again. Must be terrible places to work.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly that seems low given I would have to deal with rural Iowa.

Reactions: 2 users
2003 signing bonuses were due to a shortage of licensed professionals.

2023 signing bonuses are due to a shortage of licensed and qualified professionals willing to work under the current conditions and pay.

• Hmm
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Areas of Arkansas offering 75k sign on for for wags and cvs; no one wants to work for employers that don't give a rip about you or the patients.

Reactions: 2 users
you would have to pay me a lot more than that to work in rural iowa. I mean unless you are a straight male they are trying to make your life miserable. This is coming from a straight white male that grew up in rural Iowa. The place is quickly trying to become the alabama of the midwest, without the diversity of alabama.

I have zero desire to ever move back to the state.

Last edited:
  • Wow
On a serious note though, I've read quite a few posts on the Pharmacy Doom and Gloom subreddit about pharmacists regretting their choice of accepting a sign-on bonus and contemplating quitting before the end of the term (which means they'll have to pay back the bonus).
These anecdotes are from other chains, so not too sure how bad accepting a sign-on bonus from Walmart is.

On a serious note though, I've read quite a few posts on the Pharmacy Doom and Gloom subreddit about pharmacists regretting their choice of accepting a sign-on bonus and contemplating quitting before the end of the term (which means they'll have to pay back the bonus).
These anecdotes are from other chains, so not too sure how bad accepting a sign-on bonus from Walmart is.
I worked with a man who had to pay back a 50K bonus with less than 2 months to go before he wouldn't have had to, at Kroger's, because he didn't get along with the other pharmacist. I thought "this person has to be a doozy" and I did eventually meet her, and she was. And he's the kind of person that, if you don't like him, it's because there's something wrong with you.

This was about 25 years ago, and his wife was a SAHM and they had 3 small children, so this was not a decision made lightly.

you would have to pay me a lot more than that to work in rural iowa. I mean unless you are a straight male they are trying to make your life miserable. This is coming from a straight white male that grew up in rural Iowa. The place is quickly trying to become the alabama of the midwest, without the diversity of alabama.

I have zero desire to ever move back to the state.
I think Missouri has Iowa beat in trying to become the next Alabama.

But it's weird tho because even tho a lot of MO is rural there's still a strong liberal population in St Louis and Kansas City both of which have big pull in the state.

But some of the laws and policies coming out of MO are weird af.

Reactions: 1 users
just not worth it. Unless you are a new grad and have loans...and want to be aggressive paying things off (and that is for 50 k), anything else is just pennies.

I think Missouri has Iowa beat in trying to become the next Alabama.

But it's weird tho because even tho a lot of MO is rural there's still a strong liberal population in St Louis and Kansas City both of which have big pull in the state.

But some of the laws and policies coming out of MO are weird af.
I will give you that- Missouri has tried being southern since before the civil war, but it was like the south always aid "nah- we good" sorta of this inbetween place that nobody claimed

I just got this same mailing from walmart - based on the towns (one is were my crazy conservative cousins live and another where Steve King is from) - that is a hard no

I applied to the recruitment letter from Walmart, never heard back.

If you want liberal just move to the northwest. I imagine they will be offering fentanyl and xylazine OTC soon. Customers probably won't even have to pay for it. And while they are there they might as well steal everything they can fit in a shopping cart b/c no one seems to care. If you are looking more for east coast I think the Kinsington neighborhood in Philly still encompasses that liberal vibe.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
If you want liberal just move to the northwest. I imagine they will be offering fentanyl and xylazine OTC soon. Customers probably won't even have to pay for it. And while they are there they might as well steal everything they can fit in a shopping cart b/c no one seems to care. If you are looking more for east coast I think the Kinsington neighborhood in Philly still encompasses that liberal vibe.
Like we say in the south. Bless your heart.

But seriously, iowa used to be a great state, a solid moderate base, highly rated education, see video below.

Then something changed. We had major brain drain, so many of my age moved out to the cities/south. The previous generations rarely moved away when they became adults (like most places), but as so many of us saw opportunities in small towns disappear because of the farm crisis of the 80’s, we were more likely to pursue higher education (my generation was first in my family to go to college, and I was the first with an advanced degree in my family’s history). We saw opportunities available outside of our small town bubble and even thou 80% of my college was from iowa, probably 60-70% left the state after graduation. Then the crazies took over and no way in hell would I move back and subject my family to what is going on there.

Last edited:
So I guess buy forgo lasik for thick framed glasses to appear smart?