3 LORs, 1 on the way, but which to designate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LVgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 3 LORs and 1 was already agreed to be written by attending but as of Monday, was yet to be received by my school. But I do not like one of the LORs I already have. So do I designate 3 LORs, with one of them being the one I don't have yet, on my application or designate 4, even though I don't like the one, but in case the 4th one doesn't come? All of the programs except 1 only requires 3 LORs. Is it ok to designate one yet to be received? What if its not received and uploaded until say 2 weeks from now? Does it matter? And I'm applying Psych if that makes a difference. Ugh!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have 3 LORs and 1 was already agreed to be written by attending but as of Monday, was yet to be received by my school. But I do not like one of the LORs I already have. So do I designate 3 LORs, with one of them being the one I don't have yet, on my application or designate 4, even though I don't like the one, but in case the 4th one doesn't come? All of the programs except 1 only requires 3 LORs. Is it ok to designate one yet to be received? What if its not received and uploaded until say 2 weeks from now? Does it matter? And I'm applying Psych if that makes a difference. Ugh!

Thanks!

I sure hope so, because I need 4 letters total. I have designated all 4. But, only 3 were ready and have been downloaded by programs. So, I am hoping it is ok to have the 4th come in later when my research mentor gets back from vacation (REALLY wish he would have turned it in BEFORE leaving for his honeymoon, but oh well).

I am applying to IM, so I don't know about Psych, specifically, but my school has said it is still early for LOR. And that as long as you get in your CAF early, and all your LOR uploaded by the time the MSPE comes in, you should be cool.... have other people heard similar things?

As far as I know, u can apply without one or two LORs. In fact I think it would be better to at least get ur application out there. A lot of ppl dont have all their LORs at the time their first documents are uploaded. But programs get notified whenever something new becomes available in ur application so they can at least go over everything else in the meantime. So I would say go ahead and designate it, since it will also take some time for ERAS to upload ur letter once it reaches them, and you dont want to wait all that time to apply.

Hope this helps!

p.s. Im applying in psych too..good luck to you!