Specialty designation for LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

partypat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle for palliative care and I'm getting letters from 2 hospitalists, my PD, and a palliative care doctor. I realized that I assigned the specialty for all my letters as "internal medicine" and for the palliative care doctor I didn't actually put "Palliative care" for the specialty. Do you think this matters? Her title is "Director of Palliative Care" and I put that under her academic title but I listed the specialty as internal medicine. Any input appreciated, I can generate another request with the proper specialty but don't want to bother her with another letter request if it's not actually important. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it matters. The "point" of the specialty field is in case you're applying to more than one specialty -- that way you can request more than one LOR from your writers specific to each specialty. ERAS won't let you see the letters, but you'll know which is which by the specialty tag. On the PD side, we don't see this at all -- just the name and title of the letter writer.