3 LORS vs 4 LORS mass applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Americanbum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was going thru and applying to 60 Programs( a lot of them are top heavy) I didn't realize some of them requiring ONLY 3 and some require 4(most say only 3). I was wondering if I should apply with 3 right now then add a 4th over the weekend when I recheck which programs require 4 or should I apply with all 4 right now(minus the ones requiring 3 LORs only).

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you just take an hour or so and go through all of the programs right now before you submit anything. It's not that hard. Just go to the residency website -> application info -> requirements...each one should take no more than a minute.

But would it be bad to send 4 to programs that only require 3? I have 4 that I feel are very strong and would like to use.

This question comes up multiple times each year. I'd be surprised if there are programs that specifically state that they want a maximum of 3 letters. Most probably say "3 letters" and mean a minimum of 3. If you have a link to a program that specifically states that they want no more than 3 letters, I'd be interested to see it. It's an interesting idea -- weeds out the people who just apply without really looking at the program. But it also seems overly draconian. I expect you'd be fine sending 4 to most programs.

My opinion is that if a program asks for 3 letters then send them 3 letters. It shows you know how to follow directions. Unless that 4th letter is critical info then maybe, but not likely.

If you have a generic letter (the chair letter, clerkship letter, whatever, from someone who didn't actually work with you clinically), and have 3 letters from people who did, then send all four for those that require the chair letter. If you have four strong clinical letters--then your choice.

Reactions: 1 user
How can four letters instead of three ever be a bad thing?