3 poor MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRBF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I posted this thread in the MCAT discussion forum yesterday, but soon realized that it may be more fitting here. If you recognize this post, sorry for the repeat.

I would love some advice. Chance me as well.

GPA 3.49. I took my first MCAT in 2009 and got a 31N (PS 12, BS 10, VS 09). I applied to med schools (only allopathic... I know...stupid of me) in 2012 just as my MCAT's shelf life was dying, and received one interview. Did not get in. Got kind of sad, wasn't sure if I wanted to do it all over again. Signed up for the MCAT again, did not study as hard, and got....a 24Q, with a 5Verbal. Verbal has always been my weak point. Decided maybe I wasn't made for medicine, and applied to nursing school, got in. I am 1 year in, and....I really wished to go to med school again, so I retook the MCAT. Signed up this past December after a test-taker decided to drop the test. The MCAT was on 01/08/2015. I crammed super hard for it because I didn't want to take the new one in April. Well, I got a 29 (PS12, BS 11, V 06). Super skewed again.

I wanted your opinions on these numbers. Taking it a 3rd time is bad; taking it a 4th time looks really really bad. The score may be worse. I'm still in nursing school so I don't have time to study for another attempt. It was even a miracle that I had time to study for the last one. I think I am going to apply super broadly, and predominantly (>90%) to DO schools. What do you think?

I also wanted your opinions on how bad it looks if I stop midway through nursing school to pursue med school. I anticipate the question "what is wrong with nursing?" There is nothing wrong with nursing, but med school was my original dream.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard, med schools are not fond of people who drop out of any other graduate program.

On the other hand, if you ace your nursing degree and get a few years of nursing experience, you'll be in the top 1% in terms of clinical experience, which will offset that wince-inducing 31 to 24 drop. You could also become a nurse practitioner and have a fairly similar career to a physician in terms of what you actually do every day.

Reactions: 1 user
A MCAT of 29 with a GPA of 3.49 is competitive for most DO schools. Apply in June and submit your secondaries by July. Apply to at least 20 DO schools and you should receive several interviews. There are several DO schools where the median MCAT is in the 24 to 26 range. For MD apply to your state schools and schools such as Quinnipiac, New York Medical College, Albany, Commonwealth (PA), Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis, Creighton. Also apply to any new private MD or DO schools that open in 2016. There is no reason to wait on your application. Apply this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
The downward trend with your MCAT scores doesn't bode well. Suggest you apply only to DO schools, and those that superscore or take the most recent, and avoid those that don't average.

Also suggest considering being NP.

Hi everyone, I posted this thread in the MCAT discussion forum yesterday, but soon realized that it may be more fitting here. If you recognize this post, sorry for the repeat.

I would love some advice. Chance me as well.

GPA 3.49. I took my first MCAT in 2009 and got a 31N (PS 12, BS 10, VS 09). I applied to med schools (only allopathic... I know...stupid of me) in 2012 just as my MCAT's shelf life was dying, and received one interview. Did not get in. Got kind of sad, wasn't sure if I wanted to do it all over again. Signed up for the MCAT again, did not study as hard, and got....a 24Q, with a 5Verbal. Verbal has always been my weak point. Decided maybe I wasn't made for medicine, and applied to nursing school, got in. I am 1 year in, and....I really wished to go to med school again, so I retook the MCAT. Signed up this past December after a test-taker decided to drop the test. The MCAT was on 01/08/2015. I crammed super hard for it because I didn't want to take the new one in April. Well, I got a 29 (PS12, BS 11, V 06). Super skewed again.

I wanted your opinions on these numbers. Taking it a 3rd time is bad; taking it a 4th time looks really really bad. The score may be worse. I'm still in nursing school so I don't have time to study for another attempt. It was even a miracle that I had time to study for the last one. I think I am going to apply super broadly, and predominantly (>90%) to DO schools. What do you think?

I also wanted your opinions on how bad it looks if I stop midway through nursing school to pursue med school. I anticipate the question "what is wrong with nursing?" There is nothing wrong with nursing, but med school was my original dream.

Reactions: 1 users
This is depressing. Thank you for your brutal but honest opinions. I have considered being an NP. Here's the thing. I ultimately want to work in emergency. I have been working in the ED for the past 2.5 years and I absolutely loveee it. However, I have noticed that NPs typically only work in fast-track in the ED.

I am going to apply to one round since I have the scores anyways. I sense from you all that applying to MD schools is likely a waste of my money, which is quite unfortunate because I would guess that state schools in general are cheaper than private schools. Beggars can't be choosers. And if I don't get in, then ok. I would not, however, forgive myself if I didn't apply one more time to settle it.

Do you all have any other suggestions for me at this time?

As I mentioned above you should be fine for DO schools if you apply to at least 20 and apply in June. You could also apply to your state MD schools.

Stick with the nursing career op. Honestly you don't really have a chance with that set of MCAT scores. Embrace nursing you may find you like it more than you imagined.

I disagree with referee3..... Yes... the downward trend isn't favorable but I don't think you're out of luck. You still have a shot at DO schools and LECOM is one of the lowest in tuition and it is a private school. If you know you want to be a doctor, I say give it one more shot and see how you do. Even if it's a small chance, it's still a chance.

I think DrRBF will be a doctor, but I can't say whether it will be MD or DO or NP.

NPs aren't doctors, but it's definitely a great career option for someone in OP's position

DrRBF, your first mistake was retaking the MCAT with a 31, but that's in the past. Take Faha's advice and apply to 20 DO schools. I got into a school with a high average MCAT and I had a 25 with a 5 in verbal. I also had a lower GPA than you. I did do a master's program so I think that helped quite a bit, but you are much better off with a 29, even with your verbal score. I work as a CNA in a hospital and work closely with a lot of nurses. Unless you become a NP, nursing is nothing like working as a doctor, and even then you will still be limited depending on what specialty you pursue. If you really want to be a doctor, you might not be happy settling for something else. I'm sure you have a lot of great experience going through a nursing program. Use that to your advantage when it comes to applications/interviews. Talk about what you've learned, NOT just about what you've done, and justify the decisions you have made on your path to medical school. If you are able to nail the other aspects of your application along with your numbers, you will get in somewhere. Getting in takes longer for some of us. Respect the process, always improve areas of your application that don't involve numbers, and enjoy the ride. It will all be worth it when you get in.

GPA 3.49. I took my first MCAT in 2009 and got a 31N (PS 12, BS 10, VS 09). I applied to med schools (only allopathic... I know...stupid of me) in 2012 just as my MCAT's shelf life was dying, and received one interview. Did not get in. Got kind of sad, wasn't sure if I wanted to do it all over again.

I don't mean to be inquisitive but what stopped you from applying in 2009? And what were you doing between 2009 and 2012?... When you applied in 2012, did your application address this gap adequately?... The reason I ask is because I have significant gaps in my app so I addressed those in my personal statement... Still, at every interview I went too, it came up and I had to articulate what I was doing during that time. They were just curious as to what I was doing and how those years fit into my motivation to pursue medicine, I think.
In your case you took the mcat in 2009, got a decent score and then didn't apply until 2012? Am I correct, maybe missed something.

@wannabeMD38 good question. I took the MCAT towards the beginning of my senior year. I was unsure if I was going to apply towards the end of senior year and take a year off for apps, or apply a year later and work in the meantime. I opted for #2 because, let's be real, my current 24 and 29 are unsightly now, a 31 MCAT with a 3.49 GPA isn't that strong either. I took the year off and did research, and applied in June 2011. And even then, I received one interview, and didn't get in. By the time I received all of my rejections in 2012, my MCAT score expired.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should apply DO because obviously you really want to be a doctor and you want to help people and love the medicine, which is why you're in nursing. Follow your heart. I think you're very competitive for most DO schools and maybe even a few MD schools. You have a unique, fascinating story. I hope everything works out for you and you get in somewhere you're happy.

Agree. Apply broadly DO and I think you will be okay

Reactions: 1 users
I agree too. Reapply broadly at MD (you never know, maybe your state schools and others that your stats match with) and DO schools. Make your gaps sound like you were on an epic quest to find yourself and somehow your interest in medicine was reignited. LORs from individuals that supervised you in your gap years would be a good idea too, although I'm thinking you already got these?
Are schools still able to see your 31?

In a way it seems a little unfair. "Sorry you can't use that 31 it has expired, you will have to retake however we will still be able to see the 31 and use it to asses you even though you can't use it in your app" lol. So your current scores are still compared to a score that has "expired" and in your case that's unfortunate because adcoms will probably question why you couldn't replicate that first score.

In a way it seems a little unfair. "Sorry you can't use that 31 it has expired, you will have to retake however we will still be able to see the 31 and use it to asses you even though you can't use it in your app" lol. So your current scores are still compared to a score that has "expired" and in your case that's unfortunate because adcoms will probably question why you couldn't replicate that first score.
Yes, MCAT timing and strategy are important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
There's this thing called "knowledge decay"

There's this thing called "knowledge decay"

I agree wholeheartedly, I have experienced this myself being a non-trad that spent 3 years out of school. However, I can't help but feel a little sympathy for the OP.
Yes, maybe the expired test score is not a true assessment of a student's ability. So why is it even visible or used to influence any admissions decisions? It is what it is I guess, but I agree with gyngyn that one should be strategic with MCAT timing. In fact, one should be strategic when considering the entire application process.

Maybe the OP will have more success at schools that only look at/consider the last score.

Expired scores not only establish a baseline, they also form part of a story.

If one goes downhill, this tells us knowledge decay is present.

If they're uneven, this tells us that the applicant can't master all of the material...ie, to use a baseball analogy, they're "good hit, good field, poor throw"

If they start poor and finally go up, that tends to point out poor judgment issues. You'd be surprised how many people post in these forums that they took the test while sick, or dealing with a death in the family or simply took the test with zero to poor preparation.

The moral of the story is: take the test once, and excel. if you can't do this, don't take it until you're 100% ready to.

I agree wholeheartedly, I have experienced this myself being a non-trad that spent 3 years out of school. However, I can't help but feel a little sympathy for the OP.
Yes, maybe the expired test score is not a true assessment of a student's ability. So why is it even visible or used to influence any admissions decisions? It is what it is I guess, but I agree with gyngyn that one should be strategic with MCAT timing. In fact, one should be strategic when considering the entire application process.

Maybe the OP will have more success at schools that only look at/consider the last score.

Reactions: 4 users