3 rejections, no II, something wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You need to add the MCAT heavy D.O schools. NOVA, AZCOM, CCOM, RVU and Touro-NY/CA.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I think that some DO schools may be assuming that with a 33 MCAT and those grades and EC's you'll get into a lot of allopathic schools, and will just automatically choose MD. I think it's really unfortunate if they think that, because I know more and more pre-meds who are admitted to both and choose DO.

Ive heard this statement before I don't really believe it. I don't think schools play mind games with people. If you are qualified and seem to be a good fit then they will probably accept you. I know for a fact that tcom gives out acceptances to people with 40+ mcats so no, no mind games.

You need to add the MCAT heavy D.O schools. NOVA, AZCOM, CCOM, RVU and Touro-NY/CA.

I applied to AZCOM and TUCOM-CA. The other schools REQUIRE social/behavioral science courses that I don't have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at your profile handle, you are a medical student right now. So i am assuming that you got into a school despite having to mark that IA box. Congrats!

Did you also get some quick rejections but were able to get an II and acceptance later on?
Surprisingly, I didn't get rejected immediately. I just got silently rejected. I still haven't heard back from Nova or LECOM-B haha. I was feeling pretty down early on but eventually the II's came in and I ended up getting accepted at a couple schools and canceling some other late interviews. I did get another LOR and tweaked my PS so who knows if that helped. Both my GPA's were around your sGPA and my MCAT was 31 so I'm sure in time you will get some II's and be in a school next year.

Most schools don't give flat out rejections that soon after receiving your application unless you don't meet their requirements for grades (which you meet) or you have a red flag on your application. I agree with one of the above to call and ask how you can approve it for future.

I just got rejected from bradenton today Sean ....

Solid grades and a 30mcat..... beyond frustrating...

Did you follow the cutoffs for secondary essays? I know this sounds stupid, but I was rejected from a few schools last year for not reading directions.

Did you follow the cutoffs for secondary essays? I know this sounds stupid, but I was rejected from a few schools last year for not reading directions.

Absolutely. I followed all secondary character/word limits. And LECOM-B has no secondary questions.

I applied to AZCOM and TUCOM-CA. The other schools REQUIRE social/behavioral science courses that I don't have.

What do they require? LECOM also has behavioral science requirements (6 credits). You fulfill those right?
http://lecom.edu/entrance-requirements.php

It could be the IA like people are mentioning. That's a red flag. I wouldn't worry too much though, I'm sure you'll get an acceptance provided you interview normally.

EDIT: Looking at the other schools in the post, Touro-NY has basically the same requirements as LECOM (http://legacy.touro.edu/med/admissions.html), RVU doesn’t require social/behavioral courses, but they do require biochem (http://www.rockyvistauniversity.org/academic_requirements.asp), Nova also doesn't require social/behavioral courses (http://medicine.nova.edu/do/admissions/index.html), and neither does CCOM (https://www.midwestern.edu/programs-and-admission/il-osteopathic-medicine/admissionapply.html).

You didn't mix up your school requirements did you?

Last edited:
What do they require? LECOM also has behavioral science requirements (6 credits). You fulfill those right?
http://lecom.edu/entrance-requirements.php

It could be the IA like people are mentioning. That's a red flag. I wouldn't worry too much though, I'm sure you'll get an acceptance provided you interview normally.

EDIT: Looking at the other schools in the post, Touro-NY has basically the same requirements as LECOM (http://legacy.touro.edu/med/admissions.html), and RVU doesn’t require social/behavioral courses, but they do require biochem (http://www.rockyvistauniversity.org/academic_requirements.asp).

You didn't mix up your school requirements did you?

LECOM allows philosophy courses to satisfy their behavioral science requirements.

I edited it again, what about the other schools?

I can see how I got axed my CUSOM pre-secondary. They seem to be very mission specific. But I have no idea why ATSU and LECOM-B.

I 100% meet ATSU's prereq and letter requirements. I've checked over 10 times.

And I highly doubt that many schools would flat out reject an applicant if there's some concern over prereqs. Especially since most schools don't require completion of these prereqs when applying.

I will call ATSU and LECOM later this week. I emailed CUSOM already, and they basically told me that they look at more than just GPA and MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can see how I got axed my CUSOM pre-secondary. They seem to be very mission specific. But I have no idea why ATSU and LECOM-B.

I 100% meet ATSU's prereq and letter requirements. I've checked over 10 times.

Yeah, CUSOM definitely mission, KCOM, I could see them doing it for the IA, because they like to axe people quickly for certain things. I'm a little surprised at LECOM-B, but sometimes they are random.

I was actually referring to the other schools Fedxup mentioned. I edited my previous post listing basically that CCOM & Nova had no social/behavioral course requirements.

Also to be clear, schools have flat out rejected people for not fulfilling requirements before. There's a place for planned pre-reqs and many schools ask you to list any planned course work (even if you already did so on AACOMAS) for this reason specifically.

KCOM & CUSOM are as mentioned before big on fit. If they don't think you'll be a match for their family they won't want you. Brendenton likewise is all about PBL, unless you tell them a lot that you want PBL it won't work out.

Regardless, you need to figure out and learn how to interview properly or else you'll end up without an acceptance this cycle.

KCOM & CUSOM are as mentioned before big on fit. If they don't think you'll be a match for their family they won't want you. Brendenton likewise is all about PBL, unless you tell them a lot that you want PBL it won't work out.

Regardless, you need to figure out and learn how to interview properly or else you'll end up without an acceptance this cycle.

I not sure if you thought that I interviewed already, but I was rejected from KCOM and LECOM B pre-interview.

Going at this rate, I am beginning to worry whether or not I'll even have interviews at DO schools.

I not sure if you thought that I interviewed already, but I was rejected from KCOM and LECOM B pre-interview.

Oh, idk. LECOM-B rejected me pre-int.

I was over that in like a second.

Honestly, if your ECs are really that great, and your numbers are clearly great, then maybe it's time to look at something else - your personal statement. There are plenty of people who get rejected because their personal statement come off as too arrogant, too... whatever.

Oh, idk. LECOM-B rejected me pre-int.

I was over that in like a second.

Yeah, but hopefully you'll be getting good news tomorrow from the other one :).

Honestly, if your ECs are really that great, and your numbers are clearly great, then maybe it's time to look at something else - your personal statement. There are plenty of people who get rejected because their personal statement come off as too arrogant, too... whatever.

This is another possibility. Make sure you didn't write something like, "ever since I was a child, I knew that I wanted to be an M.D.!"

I just got rejected from bradenton today Sean ....

Solid grades and a 30mcat..... beyond frustrating...
Not really 'liking' this as much as I wanted to say I also was rejected from LECOM-B and KCOM. I've gotten 3 interview invites outside of those. Your MCAT is 1 point better than mine, your sGPA just about what mine is, and your cGPA is way over (+ almost .5) mine. I've been complete at schools for almost two months now, and have 7 schools I haven't really heard anything from.
My interviews are are at two newer schools w somewhat of a regional preference, and Touro-Nevada.
At this point in the cycle, 2-3 weeks is probably not much time at all. It's really difficult, but just try to relax and you'll have something in a few weeks.

It's still early, but my only guess would be a (multiple) bad letter of rec(s).
Hang in there

Going at this rate, I am beginning to worry whether or not I'll even have interviews at DO schools.

I don't know you but maybe you're giving off the wrong vibe to the schools? From just your SDN posts, I got the vibe that you were baffled as if "How dare the lowly DO schools reject me when I have a 33 MCAT and solid ECs?" If you do project yourself in that way, the schools will cut you down quick.

I suggest you contact the schools (except CUSOM) with a very humble demeanor and find out why you were rejected.

I got pre-interview rejected from the same three schools shortly after submitting. Since then I have attended 3 interviews resulting in an acceptance and a waitlist so sit tight.

I don't know you but maybe you're giving off the wrong vibe to the schools? From just your SDN posts, I got the vibe that you were baffled as if "How dare the lowly DO schools reject me when I have a 33 MCAT and solid ECs?" If you do project yourself in that way, the schools will cut you down quick.

I suggest you contact the schools (except CUSOM) with a very humble demeanor and find out why you were rejected.

I apologize if that's the sentiment you felt. I ABSOLUTELY do not feel this way. But I can see how some of my posts can convey this feeling.

It's still early, but my only guess would be a (multiple) bad letter of rec(s).
Hang in there

You could be right, but then again, I have one II from a MD school that reads all LORs before granting IIs. So I can't imagine that I have any significant issue with LORs.

Not really 'liking' this as much as I wanted to say I also was rejected from LECOM-B and KCOM. I've gotten 3 interview invites outside of those. Your MCAT is 1 point better than mine, your sGPA just about what mine is, and your cGPA is way over (+ almost .5) mine. I've been complete at schools for almost two months now, and have 7 schools I haven't really heard anything from.
My interviews are are at two newer schools w somewhat of a regional preference, and Touro-Nevada.
At this point in the cycle, 2-3 weeks is probably not much time at all. It's really difficult, but just try to relax and you'll have something in a few weeks.

Thanks man. I'm in kc right now for an interview at kcumb tomorrow....interviewed at Western last week. Got touro ca in 3 weeks. Waiting on 5 others to respond....

Praying western or touro works out but will happily take kcumb if it's my only option.

Contacting schools helped me and, more importantly, my anxiety. I was able to find out some great info from MUCOM, but KCOM won't discuss until after the cycle. Like serenade, I forgot about LECOM-B almost immediately. They have something they're looking form but who knows what that is. Look at the numbers for those accepted and those rejected. They don't have any essays on secondary either. Don't lose any sleep over that one. KCOM probably has it's pick, and has luxury of hand selecting based on stats and rural/osteo experience/fit. Weeks will start to go by faster.

Thanks man. I'm in kc right now for an interview at kcumb tomorrow....interviewed at Western last week. Got touro ca in 3 weeks. Waiting on 5 others to respond....

Praying western or touro works out but will happily take kcumb if it's my only option.
Knock em dead!

Maybe that user has super strong ECs like full-time medical employment and/or thousands of hours of volunteering.

The thing is, my personal statement and secondaries were all highly emphasized about the DO philosophy. It is clear that I have genuine interest in DO schools, or so I think.

I hope it doesn't come off as conceited, but in pretty sure he's talking about me.
I spent a long time on my PS and secondaries. I really educated myself on the schools and the DO philosophy. And my ECs weren't anything to write home about.
There has to be something wrong here. It really doesn't make sense.

I hope it doesn't come off as conceited, but in pretty sure he's talking about me.
I spent a long time on my PS and secondaries. I really educated myself on the schools and the DO philosophy. And my ECs weren't anything to write home about.
There has to be something wrong here. It really doesn't make sense.

Other than two things that may possibly have a negative impact, I can't think of anything else. These two things are:

1) minor IA
2) not using a committee letter when my school offers one
3)???

But even though those two things might be problematic, I am still not expecting snail-mail rejection letters in September.

I'll just have to stay strong and hope that the rest of my schools (MD and DO) give me more love.

Maybe have someone look over your personal statement.

Ive heard this statement before I don't really believe it. I don't think schools play mind games with people. If you are qualified and seem to be a good fit then they will probably accept you. I know for a fact that tcom gives out acceptances to people with 40+ mcats so no, no mind games.

Given the fact that there are like 2 DO applicants every year with 40+ MCAT, your example is a little extreme and not fitting to this scenario

33 MCAT isn't really that incredibly amazing that it'll merit interviews right away. It's definitely a great score, but DO schools see enough great applicants that a 33 isn't going to just make their jaws drop.

Last edited:
Given the fact that there are like 2 DO applicants every year with 40+ MCAT, your example is a little extreme and not fitting to this scenario

33 MCAT isn't really that incredibly amazing that it'll merit interviews right away. It's definitely a great score, but DO schools see enough great applicants that a 33 isn't going to just make their jaws drop.

My example was meant to be extreme, my point being that a DO school (TCOM) whose average is a 28 will accept someone with a 42 as they did last cycle. They are not going to sit there and play mind games or what if scenarios. Someone with a 42 is super rare and usually can pick where they want to go especially if they are a texas resident, so if they did have this mind set they would not have offered an acceptance to this person especially. Ive heard this statement by alot of premeds, "my stats were to good for the school so they must think I wont go there" Ive personally talked with adcoms and this is not how it works.

TCOM accepted another person with 40 this year. They really couldn't care less where people go. I have an MD friend who got rejected by TCOM post-interview, and the TCOM threads have posters with good stats who never got an invite.

Yea no, he has been a pretty normal dude on here. I have never gotten that vibe. I think the vibe we are getting now is legitimate befuddlement because people with significantly lower stats are getting accepted to schools that essentially are stat heavy. Everyone understands that at mission based schools its a roll of the dice, but there are definitely schools that he applied to that he should have heard/ should be hearing from soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Other than two things that may possibly have a negative impact, I can't think of anything else. These two things are:

1) minor IA
3)???

But even though those two things might be problematic, I am still not expecting snail-mail rejection letters in September.

I'll just have to stay strong and hope that the rest of my schools (MD and DO) give me more love.
Ive gotten accepted so far to two schools with a minor IA. Dont sweat it, the worst that happens is they make fun of you during the interview :p

Ive gotten accepted so far to two schools with a minor IA. Dont sweat it, the worst that happens is they make fun of you during the interview :p

Great to know and congrats!

Right now, I am just going to chalk it up to mission-specific-ness with KCOM and randomness with LECOM-B. I am still less than 3 weeks complete at my earliest place, so I'll wait another week or two.

Right now, I am just going to chalk it up to mission-specific-ness with KCOM and randomness with LECOM-B. I am still less than 3 weeks complete at my earliest place, so I'll wait another week or two.

Best of luck!

btw I waited like a month for lecom-b invite so theres that too!

1) minor IA
3)???

I doubt that the bolded above gives a negative impact. My school offers a committee letter, but I decided not to use it as it can take several months to receive it, and I would not have been able to submit my secondaries early like I had planned. As for my proof to back this up:

I applied to 14 schools and received secondaries from all of them.
Out of those 14, I submitted secondaries to 9 of them with 2 of them being very recent, so I'm still waiting to hear back from those.
Of the 7 I've heard back from, I received IIs at all of them. I canceled my interview at 1 of them. I have attended 3 interviews thus far resulting in 1 acceptance, and I am currently waiting to hear back from the other 2.

My sGPA and cGPA are both higher than yours, but my MCAT is lower.

If a committee letter mattered that much, then I'm sure that I would have felt it in some way.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you had someone read over your personal statement?

Also why didn't you get a committee letter? Depending on where you go to undergrad, kind of matters if the committee letter is needed. If you go to large undergrad then yeah most places don't care if you get it or not. But if you went to smaller undergrad where everyone else gets the committee letter, then they may be wondering why you didn't get it.

Have you had someone read over your personal statement?

Also why didn't you get a committee letter? Depending on where you go to undergrad, kind of matters if the committee letter is needed. If you go to large undergrad then yeah most places don't care if you get it or not. But if you went to smaller undergrad where everyone else gets the committee letter, then they may be wondering why you didn't get it.

I've had some read over my personal statement, and they felt it was fine. I didn't get any comment that it was arrogant/exaggerated/inappropriate. It is a very safe personal statement.

As for the committee letter, I am sort of a non-trad applicant. And to my knowledge, most DO schools explicitly state either a committee letter OR individual science faculty letters. No one says that if your school offers a committee letter, you have to use it. Also, I've seen countless people on SDN getting into multiple DO schools not using their school's committee letter.

Yes multiple people get into schools without a committee letter, it matters more if you go to a small school. I went to smaller undergrad where my premed advisor knew the admission people at most DO schools so if you didn't go with the committee letter then it was definitely a bad mark because it kind of meant that they didn't think you would be a good fit. If you went to a big undergrad then it doesn't really matter if you get the committee letter.

Albeit I haven't been rejected anywhere yet, I still don't have any IIs. 3.7cGPA, 3.55sGPA, 27 (11/6/10), 32 retake (12/8/12). However, I have only been complete at 2 schools since mid july and 4 since the beginning of september.

Honestly, I think that some DO schools may be assuming that with a 33 MCAT and those grades and EC's you'll get into a lot of allopathic schools, and will just automatically choose MD. I think it's really unfortunate if they think that, because I know more and more pre-meds who are admitted to both and choose DO.
You assume incorrectly.

Three rapid rejects for Sean make my head spin!
Same here. Very strange story. Maybe these schools are screening for IA and just reject as knee-jerk reactions.