3 rejections, no II, something wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes multiple people get into schools without a committee letter, it matters more if you go to a small school. I went to smaller undergrad where my premed advisor knew the admission people at most DO schools so if you didn't go with the committee letter then it was definitely a bad mark because it kind of meant that they didn't think you would be a good fit. If you went to a big undergrad then it doesn't really matter if you get the committee letter.

What's a small school in your view? Like liberal arts college small?

Members don't see this ad.

Albeit I haven't been rejected anywhere yet, I still don't have any IIs. 3.7cGPA, 3.55sGPA, 27 (11/6/10), 32 retake (12/8/12). However, I have only been complete at 2 schools since mid july and 4 since the beginning of september.
If you havent heard anything from some of the schools in a month or two, you can send them a very polite email asking if there is anything else that you can do to help their office (like if they need anything else from you), and express your continued interest in their program. Sometimes you will be surprised to find out that you are missing something and they just havent told you, or you might get an interview invite a day or two later. It is a mystery what goes on behind the curtain, but I have heard that a polite nudge can sometimes help.

What's a small school in your view? Like liberal arts college small?
yea, like not a state school or something...

I agree, the small colleges really do build legitimate relationships with some programs. I was very saddened to find out that the pre-med adviser at my school was retiring as I was applying. She apparently had amazing connections if you were a solid student. Its like at small colleges, once they get a couple of solid applicants through, the med schools will trust them more and will be more inclined to trust their word when a committee letter says "the applicant is awesome." It can actually carry some legitimate weight to it.

But all the same, it still does not explain your situation... So I am sorry if it has been mentioned before, but what were your letters then? Like how many letters did you send in, and what were the relationships that you had with the letter writers?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you havent heard anything from some of the schools in a month or two, you can send them a very polite email asking if there is anything else that you can do to help their office (like if they need anything else from you), and express your continued interest in their program. Sometimes you will be surprised to find out that you are missing something and they just havent told you, or you might get an interview invite a day or two later. It is a mystery what goes on behind the curtain, but I have heard that a polite nudge can sometimes help.

Gotcha. Seeing that my second MCAT also came after I submitted my secondary, this might actually help. Thanks!

I agree, the small colleges really do build legitimate relationships with some programs. I was very saddened to find out that the pre-med adviser at my school was retiring as I was applying. She apparently had amazing connections if you were a solid student. Its like at small colleges, once they get a couple of solid applicants through, the med schools will trust them more and will be more inclined to trust their word when a committee letter says "the applicant is awesome." It can actually carry some legitimate weight to it.

But all the same, it still does not explain your situation... So I am sorry if it has been mentioned before, but what were your letters then? Like how many letters did you send in, and what were the relationships that you had with the letter writers?

Yep too above. That's the hard thing with small schools. If you get a committee letter it will help you a lot, but if you don't get one they are really going to wonder why and if there was something wrong that you didn't get one.

I had a total of 7 letters. But for most schools, I only sent in the required 2-3 letters and no extras.

I had a total of 7 letters. But for most schools, I only sent in the required 2-3 letters and no extras.
Who were they from? Like were they professors? Bosses? DOs? MDs? How were your relationships with them? How long did you know the people in those letters?

I am trying to obviously dig deeper. Your stats are fine, is there something else with your app that is causing them to turn you down pre-interview.

Otherwise what are your general ECs, like what types of other things are on your app?
What kind of volunteering? How many hours roughly.
Do you have any research?
Any type of clinical work experience?
Anything else that would make you really stand out?

Who were they from? Like were they professors? Bosses? DOs? MDs? How were your relationships with them? How long did you know the people in those letters?

I am trying to obviously dig deeper. Your stats are fine, is there something else with your app that is causing them to turn you down pre-interview.

Otherwise what are your general ECs, like what types of other things are on your app?
What kind of volunteering? How many hours roughly.
Do you have any research?
Any type of clinical work experience?
Anything else that would make you really stand out?

All letters should be solid if not very strong.

300 hours of clinical volunteering
300 hours of community service
substantial research
tutoring
150 hours of shadowing (DO and MD)
a bunch of other stuff related to my history major.
no mission trips or anything, however.

But it makes me feel a bit better than other people have been fast rejected by KCOM and LECOM...so maybe these schools are looking for specifics...who knows

All letters should be solid if not very strong.

300 hours of clinical volunteering
300 hours of community service
substantial research
tutoring
150 hours of shadowing (DO and MD)
a bunch of other stuff related to my history major.
no mission trips or anything, however.
bah, you dont need mission trips or anything, you are really well rounded... Crap man, I dont know whats up... thats so strange.

Reactions: 1 users
But it makes me feel a bit better than other people have been fast rejected by KCOM and LECOM...so maybe these schools are looking for specifics...who knows
This is very true! Heck that was one of the reasons I did not apply to KCOM. I just knew inside that it wouldnt be the right fit.

Otherwise, I know it has been mentioned before, but how many DO schools do you have left to hear from? And are you complete at all of your other schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is very true! Heck that was one of the reasons I did not apply to KCOM. I just knew inside that it wouldnt be the right fit.

Otherwise, I know it has been mentioned before, but how many DO schools do you have left to hear from? And are you complete at all of your other schools?

I have around 8 or so. Complete at all of them.

How many are close to you regionally? Or are they all pretty far?

I would say only 1-2 regionally close.

Also, do you think it is a good idea to call KCOM and LECOM-B? Are they going to be receptive?

Reactions: 1 user
For some reason, those three schools just didn't want you. That's fine. Your stats and ECs look great and you are sure to get serious consideration from other schools.

Someone else earlier in the thread said he/she got rejected from the three same schools who rejected you, and that person has since received several IIs. That should tell you that perhaps those three schools are picky and make their decisions quickly. Less than 3 weeks complete is still a short amount of time.

You have 8 more schools to go? Doubtful you'll have problems. If it makes you feel more secure, add 3-5 more. Will cost you some more money, but could help with your peace of mind as you complete those secondaries. Could help distract you from the anxiety of waiting to hear back from the other schools where you're already complete.

You are clearly passionate, have the numbers, and have the experience. Your biggest issue seems to be your nerves. Give yourself until Oct 15. If you still get no word by then, freak out. Until then, relax. :)

I would say only 1-2 regionally close.

Also, do you think it is a good idea to call KCOM and LECOM-B? Are they going to be receptive?
Hmm so dont give up then... The ones close to you really should show you some love soon. I would be shocked if you made it through October without a couple interviews.

Honestly it does not hurt. I dont know whether a phone call or email would be better, maybe email since admissions offices are usually super busy. And just ask if there is anything that was glaring or anything that you could improve upon if you were to apply to their school next cycle. That way its like a convenient way to ask whats wrong with your app, while still showing appreciation and interest in the school. But in the end, there is no rule saying that they have to tell you so its a coin flip whether you will get anything out of it. And most likely its just a weird mission/fit thing.

For some reason, those three schools just didn't want you. That's fine. Your stats and ECs look great and you are sure to get serious consideration from other schools.

Someone else earlier in the thread said he/she got rejected from the three same schools who rejected you, and that person has since received several IIs. That should tell you that perhaps those three schools are picky and make their decisions quickly. Less than 3 weeks complete is still a short amount of time.

You have 8 more schools to go? Doubtful you'll have problems. If it makes you feel more secure, add 3-5 more. Will cost you some more money, but could help with your peace of mind as you complete those secondaries. Could help distract you from the anxiety of waiting to hear back from the other schools where you're already complete.

You are clearly passionate, have the numbers, and have the experience. Your biggest issue seems to be your nerves. Give yourself until Oct 15. If you still get no word by then, freak out. Until then, relax. :)
Pretty solid advice.

And I highly doubt that many schools would flat out reject an applicant if there's some concern over prereqs. Especially since most schools don't require completion of these prereqs when applying.

I will call ATSU and LECOM later this week. I emailed CUSOM already, and they basically told me that they look at more than just GPA and MCAT.

I don't think they reject people right away if you're missing pre-reqs? Especially that AACOMAS is a little weird in that they don't let you list current/planned classes unless they are on a transcript (hard to do at some schools). At least I hope they would ask about pre-reqs instead of giving immediate rejections...

I got 10 rejections before getting 4 interview invites, don't worry

Pre req not completed
Disciplinary stuff
Lackluster ps
Horrible rec letter

or this guy is a really good troll

Should I call or email KCOM and LECOM-B? I feel that I can express myself better via email, but calling them makes it harder for them to just ignore me.

Should I call or email KCOM and LECOM-B? I feel that I can express myself better via email, but calling them makes it harder for them to just ignore me.
Sean, honestly relax. Your time is coming

My advice: Get off SDN and do something. I am working day and night trying to make money and to keep myself from thinking all about it. I was complete at most schools during the last 2 weeks.

I feel like you are extremely nervous, worried and its affecting you application in some way. Maybe?
1.3k posts in <10months, wow.

Then you're just wrong. Whatever helps you sleep better at night.
Until you have data that proves one thing or another, you're just another person with an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Until you have data that proves one thing or another, you're just another person with an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.
I actually am in medical school, and I could easily turn the argument and say you don't have any data for your claim; so try throwing rocks when you're not living in a glasshouse. Actually, you're making the initial claim (DO schools reject people that they believe can get into MD), so you need to produce evidence first.

I don't think a few quick rejections is too alarming, and it happens to a lot of people. That said, perhaps you should review your description of your IA and your discussion of it. If you don't want to post here, I'll take a look if you PM me. Your IA was silly (and shouldn't be an IA), but maybe you made it sound purposeful.

I don't think a few quick rejections is too alarming, and it happens to a lot of people. That said, perhaps you should review your description of your IA and your discussion of it. If you don't want to post here, I'll take a look if you PM me. Your IA was silly (and shouldn't be an IA), but maybe you made it sound purposeful.

I'll PM you my AACOMAS description. I showed Goro this description, and he said that it won't hurt a bit.

Yes! Got an invite for one of my top choice schools!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
well son of a biscuit, you happened to get an interview to a school that accepts a large majority of interviewees. They screen heavier at the secondary/pre-interview stage.

So obviously you arent broken haha, congrats!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Guys, I was complete at most schools I applied to in September but haven't got many IIs.
Any one know what is wrong with my application besides my miserable stats unlike Sean?
I know my letters are good and ECs are decent.
No IA though.
It's already been 3 weeks since my app has been complete.
Only 2 IIs so far, interviewed at one but most likely a rejection or wait list.

(It's a rhetorical question)

Good luck Sean

2 II in 3 weeks is great!

Guys, I was complete at most schools I applied to in September but haven't got many IIs.
Any one know what is wrong with my application besides my miserable stats unlike Sean?
No IA though.

Good luck Sean
"Rhetorical question" lol. Good luck on your next interview

No IA though.

Good luck Sean

Congrats on your interviews. At the one you interviewed, how are you so sure that it'll be a rejection or wait list? Did the interview not go well?

Congrats on your interviews. At the one you interviewed, how are you so sure that it'll be a rejection or wait list? Did the interview not go well?
I am sure as I got the letter 5 mins ago.
It's gonna be okay.

like 15 but down to 7 probably now because I got rejected from LECOM E/S and some schools I know I'm not competitive.

But you got an II at LECOM-B right?

And is there any correlation between LECOM-B and LECOM-E? As in, if you get rejected from one, are you more likely to get rejected from the other?

But you got an II at LECOM-B right?

And is there any correlation between LECOM-B and LECOM-E? As in, if you get rejected from one, are you more likely to get rejected from the other?

Idk, they're independent from each other save for name.

Bro, you'll be fine, just keep applying :)

But in all reality, I know many DO schools like to see experience as a CNA, EMT, scribe, etc., etc. Cool, you got a 30 something MCAT and lived in the library most of your undergrad life, but have you ever comforted a patient in a hospital setting? Following a physician around for 1000 hours or volunteering at your local dog shelter isn't going to teach you anything about clinical skills and/or how to properly interact with a patient. Some of my classmates don't know how to take a blood pressure and are having a really rough time with clinical skills courses. My class has a crap ton of EMT-basics/medics, nurses, lab technicians, etc., and I feel it really helped separate them from the other 1,000 students who all only had 100 hours of physician shadowing experience.

I didn't read all the posts, so if you have clinical experience then just keep at it my friend, you'll get in somewhere regardless.

@Sean Lee which school did you receive your II in? You can PM me if you want.

I was complete at the 8-10 DO schools I've applied to around mid September.

So far, I got snail mail/email rejections from:

CUSOM
LECOM-B
ATSU-KCOM

No news from other schools. I have a 3.6 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, 33 MCAT, strong/unique ECs, and robust DO shadowing/LOR. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

@Goro
Just to hopefully shed some light on the situation

I applied to ATSUKCOM with a 3.7 cGPA 3.64 sGPA and a 24 MCAT and got a secondary. Were you rejected pre-secondary? (I am retaking my MCAT if that factors into schools' decisions)

Just to hopefully shed some light on the situation

I applied to ATSUKCOM with a 3.7 cGPA 3.64 sGPA and a 24 MCAT and got a secondary. Were you rejected pre-secondary? (I am retaking my MCAT if that factors into schools' decisions)

I got rejected pre interview. I did get a secondary, but never offered an interview. Snail mail rejection letter.