3 waitlists, 4th pending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

al1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

First time applicant here. As the title says, I have been placed on three waitlists so far, and am waiting for the result of my fourth interview still. Given the unfortunate circumstance that I may have to re-apply, I wanted to make sure it was fine to start the new cycle (submit AMCAS primary around late may when it opens), and not interfere since I know some of the schools including those I interviewed at can take students off as late as June. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

First time applicant here. As the title says, I have been placed on three waitlists so far, and am waiting for the result of my fourth interview still. Given the unfortunate circumstance that I may have to re-apply, I wanted to make sure it was fine to start the new cycle (submit AMCAS primary around late may when it opens), and not interfere since I know some of the schools including those I interviewed at can take students off as late as June. Thank you all.
Gonnif's New 10 Rules for Submission Hope and Interview Timeline (from Goro's Guide to the Application Process)
Rule 3: All applicants should assume that they will be a reapplicant and should continue to enhance their records from the moment they submit.

To address the question: You don't need permission, but you should go ahead and begin thinking about re-applying. Make sure you pay attention if you must retake Casper or need to take PREview.

Just be ready to move if you already submit your AMCAS but get a call in June... July... August...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Reapplying without fixing your deficits is not a good idea.
Hello Goro, happy to hear from you and as always appreciate the advice you've given me in my past post as well as that given in the other threads which have been very useful for me.
This year I applied with:
3.89 total GPA; 3.84 science GPA
514 MCAT
Clinicals: 2200 hours of scribing
Shadowing: 70 hours (50 with GS and 20 ortho)
Community service/volunteering: 267 Crisis Counselor (non clinical) and 100 Hospital (clinical)
Leadership: 80 as a Executive board member for cultural organization
Research: 30 hours in a lab
Other: 75 hours of employed summer teaching (pre school to high school)

What would be new for re-app:
Clinicals: Started working as a Medical Assistant in a clinic in the fall and have gained 1000+ hours (more direct patient interaction than my other clinical work), and also continued to work as a scribe (given me about 1000 more hours so far)
Volunteering: Started volunteering in an organization that supports those encountering food insecurity, and continue to work as a Crisis Counselor.
Additionally, I am also going to include my Capstone Research Project; I did not include it during this application cycle but looking at the low research hours and how significant this was, as well as the presentation I had at the end, I think it will be useful.

I was wondering if you could give your opinion on this. Again, I appreciate any critique.

Reactions: 1 users
Gonnif's New 10 Rules for Submission Hope and Interview Timeline (from Goro's Guide to the Application Process)
Rule 3: All applicants should assume that they will be a reapplicant and should continue to enhance their records from the moment they submit.

To address the question: You don't need permission, but you should go ahead and begin thinking about re-applying. Make sure you pay attention if you must retake Casper or need to take PREview.

Just be ready to move if you already submit your AMCAS but get a call in June... July... August...
Thank you! I appreciate that.

Work on interview skills. You can likely do mock interviews through the pre-med office or Career Services department at your undergrad. Do both traditional 1:1 and MMI practice, focusing more on the format used by most of the schools you received interviews at.

Reactions: 4 users
Would be helpful to see your school list, but I agree it sounds like unfortunately something is going wrong at the interview stage because on paper your app seems good. While that is discouraging, interview skills can be fixed.

Reactions: 4 users
My peeps, it is only March! Some schools may be waiting for the superstars to whom they've made offers in the hope of snagging 10% of them will clear out and for space to be made available for mere mortals. It is very possible that our OP will get off of a waitlist but in the meantime, the OP has made significant improvements to the application and should be prepared to submit on Day 1.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
My peeps, it is only March! Some schools may be waiting for the superstars to whom they've made offers in the hope of snagging 10% of them will clear out and for space to be made available for mere mortals. It is very possible that our OP will get off of a waitlist but in the meantime, the OP has made significant improvements to the application and should be prepared to submit on Day 1.
Thanks for the most inspiring post! As mere mortals, we can only hope.

Reactions: 3 users
Would be helpful to see your school list, but I agree it sounds like unfortunately something is going wrong at the interview stage because on paper your app seems good. While that is discouraging, interview skills can be fixed.
Thank you everyone for all the help, very appreciative of it! Here is the list:
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Loyola stritch
Tulane
Wake Forest
VCU
Temple University
EVMS
Penn State
Toledo School of Medicine
Geisinger
Carle College of Medicine
University of Vermont
Virginia Tech
Wayne State University
Umiami
University of Maryland School of medicine
Drexel
Albany School of medicine
Tufts university
New York Medical College
Hackensack Meridian school of medicine
West Virginia university
Central michigan University
Creighton school of medicine
Wright State School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rush
Quinnipac school of medicine
Sidney Kimmel college of medicine
NOVA MD

Meant to post this earlier, but I got into medical school. Thank you all for the consistent help and support!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users