3 weeks left...should I bother?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osjx-82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here's my situation. I will be "done" with reviewing all the science topics by the end of this week. I didn't really bother "memorizing" anything, I just read everything thoroughly and carefully from the beginning to the end. I really need to "pull everything together" from now on...so that the concepts/reactions really stick in my head.

What should I do in the 3 weeks leading up to the test? Just do practice tests till I drop? should I bother with Kaplan's High Yield guide? Can any Kaplan people offer advice on how useful this would be? :)

I've been doing all the topicals and subject tests along the way as well.

your input would be very much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

osjx-82 said:
Ok, so here's my situation. I will be "done" with reviewing all the science topics by the end of this week. I didn't really bother "memorizing" anything, I just read everything thoroughly and carefully from the beginning to the end. I really need to "pull everything together" from now on...so that the concepts/reactions really stick in my head.

What should I do in the 3 weeks leading up to the test? Just do practice tests till I drop? should I bother with Kaplan's High Yield guide? Can any Kaplan people offer advice on how useful this would be? :)

I would your best bet is to definitely get practice and build stamina. I have been doing hte topicals and stuff..the ones i did bad on, I am doing over again. Also I'm gonna do the extra Kaplan tests. The high-yield is actually a nice review/practice...but you definitely have to be preparing with practice test material

osjx-82 said:

Do as many practice tests as you can for the next two weeks. Make flashcards for your weak topics and review them nightly.

Members don't see this ad :)
osjx-82 said:

I did most all of my kaplan work and reading, and then in the last two weeks, i memorized the flash cards...my score raised 6 points from my last kaplan test to the real thing... (all in the sciences, verbal stayed the same) i didn't look at the high yield guide...it's probably helpful though...

leahmaria said:
I did most all of my kaplan work and reading, and then in the last two weeks, i memorized the flash cards...my score raised 6 points from my last kaplan test to the real thing... (all in the sciences, verbal stayed the same) i didn't look at the high yield guide...it's probably helpful though...

thanks...
did you do your full lengths?
the difficulty for me is that i have tooo much material and I really have to pick and choose the combination of study materials optimally.

osjx-82 said:
thanks...
did you do your full lengths?
the difficulty for me is that i have tooo much material and I really have to pick and choose the combination of study materials optimally.

I did all of the full lengths...one each weekend, including easter :)

I felt the same way--Kaplan gives you too much to work with in my opinion...you have to make choices...

It didn't take as long to memorize the flashcards as i thought, i sorted them into piles of things i knew and things i didn't and i worked on them in between classes and such.

I also focused on things I knew would be tested and I didn't fully understand (embryology and endocrine system for me) or things that hadn't been presented in my classes.

I didn't work on my verbal at all for the last month (besides full lenghts) and so i saw no improvement there...

my last weeks before the mcat were hell, but it was so worth it after i got my score back...press on :)

thanks leahmaria.

it seems like you were in the same boat as I am in right now....

I just ordered some EK books so the pile of things to do just got bigger for me.
haha

I am going to be finishing flashcards to get content down, and keep reviewing them to keep it fresh, but for me I am really seeing that doing full lengths is the way to go...i am learning a lot from really analyzing the answers and reading explanations as to why things are wrong (from Kaplan full length exams). I am moving on to AAMC so I will see how that translates.
I don't know if should be getting my hands on other materials to do as well. Any suggestions? :oops:

I agree with your opinion on the Kaplan high yield problem solving guide, I find that in addition to subject topicals it is really helpful. I also found that making other flashcards in addition to the Kaplan ones are helpful for subjects you are weak in...I'm doing that for a lot of biology that I am weak in (such as the endocrine system).
I do the flashcards when my stamina for doing problems/exams is weak. Bc at least I can lay on the couch and do them instead of hunched over a desk working like a maniac!