1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

3 weeks left...should I bother?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by osjx-82, Jul 25, 2006.

1. osjx-82

osjx-82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ok, so here's my situation. I will be "done" with reviewing all the science topics by the end of this week. I didn't really bother "memorizing" anything, I just read everything thoroughly and carefully from the beginning to the end. I really need to "pull everything together" from now on...so that the concepts/reactions really stick in my head.

What should I do in the 3 weeks leading up to the test? Just do practice tests till I drop? should I bother with Kaplan's High Yield guide? Can any Kaplan people offer advice on how useful this would be? :)

I've been doing all the topicals and subject tests along the way as well.

your input would be very much appreciated :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dng_06

dng_06 apple01
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would your best bet is to definitely get practice and build stamina. I have been doing hte topicals and stuff..the ones i did bad on, I am doing over again. Also I'm gonna do the extra Kaplan tests. The high-yield is actually a nice review/practice...but you definitely have to be preparing with practice test material

4. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    work on your weak topics. Cut back or stop reviewing any topics/subjects that you are consistently getting 10+ on.

You

5. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do as many practice tests as you can for the next two weeks. Make flashcards for your weak topics and review them nightly.

6. osjx-82

osjx-82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks guys.

B U M P

7. leahmaria

leahmaria Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I did most all of my kaplan work and reading, and then in the last two weeks, i memorized the flash cards...my score raised 6 points from my last kaplan test to the real thing... (all in the sciences, verbal stayed the same) i didn't look at the high yield guide...it's probably helpful though...

8. osjx-82

osjx-82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks...
    did you do your full lengths?
    the difficulty for me is that i have tooo much material and I really have to pick and choose the combination of study materials optimally.

9. leahmaria

leahmaria Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I did all of the full lengths...one each weekend, including easter :)

I felt the same way--Kaplan gives you too much to work with in my opinion...you have to make choices...

It didn't take as long to memorize the flashcards as i thought, i sorted them into piles of things i knew and things i didn't and i worked on them in between classes and such.

I also focused on things I knew would be tested and I didn't fully understand (embryology and endocrine system for me) or things that hadn't been presented in my classes.

I didn't work on my verbal at all for the last month (besides full lenghts) and so i saw no improvement there...

my last weeks before the mcat were hell, but it was so worth it after i got my score back...press on :)

10. osjx-82

osjx-82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks leahmaria.

it seems like you were in the same boat as I am in right now....

I just ordered some EK books so the pile of things to do just got bigger for me.
    haha

11. Gatsby14777

Gatsby14777 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am going to be finishing flashcards to get content down, and keep reviewing them to keep it fresh, but for me I am really seeing that doing full lengths is the way to go...i am learning a lot from really analyzing the answers and reading explanations as to why things are wrong (from Kaplan full length exams). I am moving on to AAMC so I will see how that translates.
    I don't know if should be getting my hands on other materials to do as well. Any suggestions? :oops:

12. Gatsby14777

Gatsby14777 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I agree with your opinion on the Kaplan high yield problem solving guide, I find that in addition to subject topicals it is really helpful. I also found that making other flashcards in addition to the Kaplan ones are helpful for subjects you are weak in...I'm doing that for a lot of biology that I am weak in (such as the endocrine system).
    I do the flashcards when my stamina for doing problems/exams is weak. Bc at least I can lay on the couch and do them instead of hunched over a desk working like a maniac!