3 year residency match...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lno

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which programs have the most students match to the 3 year residency? I'm mostly interested in AZPOD, but if there's some way to find this out about every program, I'd be very interested. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know which programs have the most students match to the 3 year residency? I'm mostly interested in AZPOD, but if there's some way to find this out about every program, I'd be very interested. Thanks!

I don't think those getting accepted into 2 year programs reflects the school where they went. It is up to the individual student to decide on what program they want to get into. It is the students abilities and knowledge that get them into residencies, not necessarily what school they went to. Some schools have some years with students that don't get into residencies and some years everyone gets in. I don't see how the statistics you are looking for would help in making a decision on what school to go to? please explain?

I've read in several posts on this forum about how to choose schools and a few of them mentioned that it'd be wise to research which schools have a propensity to match their students with the 3 year residency. Since this is what I want, I think it makes perfect sense to find out which programs tend to match their students with these residencies. True, it depends way more on the student and their efforts, but if a program consistently has a low percentage of matching students to good residencies, then there may be a weak curriculum.

Hopefully this makes more sense, but if there isn't any residency match info for each school, no problem, just thought I'd ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quoted directly from the DMU website:

"DMU's College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery has an outstanding record of residency placement into the finest programs in the United States. One hundred percent of the D.P.M. Class of 2008 were placed in a three-year surgical residency program."

Notice it doesn't say anything about the class of 2009, so the statistics for that class must not have been as impressive. This information will be very tough to obtain from all the schools, especially if the numbers aren't flattering. But this would be a good question to ask admissions either by email or on your interview day.

Other good statistics to ask about: Part I board scores/passage rates, and more importantly Part II passage rates for the schools. The admissions should definitely be able to give you these numbers, and if they don't have them, cast a suspicious eye and politely ask if they could get you the information at their convenience.

I agree that asking schools' match rates is one effective way to generally evaluate the outcomes of different programs. However, I would think that it would more determine which schools are at the bottom of the barrel rather than determine which school(s) is(are) the best of the bunch. The top few schools all will have consistent match rates and might not help you pick which is your number 1 or 2.

I think it would be nice to have all of these statistics. But knowing which residencies placed into the top residencies doesn't seem to be as important to me compared to finding out which schools places their students into their top residency choice. Not every student wants to go to the so-called "top residencies." Different programs and directors/attendees work for different people. Also, many students pick residencies based on location or close to home or other reasons. So looking at where schools send their students to residencies seems geographic. The top students will get into the top programs. I know some students from different schools that want only a 2 year program because they already have jobs set-up and want to get done sooner and don't want the extra training...that's their decision. So going to a 2 year program would not make the school they came from a lesser program. I hope that makes sense. There are too many variables when looking at the stats on schools and where their students went to residencies.
If you are looking into a certain residency, then ask them if they favor one school over the other. I don't think they would say, unless they really lover their alma mater.
Just go to a school where you feel comfortable and can succeed and get the best grades and learn as much as you can in clinics. Keep in contact with the residencies you want to go to. Do this and you will have a good chance.

Now I don't know how it actually works in Podiatry School...maybe some schools "push" their students to do 3 year residencies?? But from what I have seen on SDN, it seems like there are a good number of students who don't want to do a 3 yr residency...or heck ANY residency.

These factors might play into those stats.

IMO, the best stats to look at are entering stats, part I pass rates, part II pass rates, and scramble rate.

Now I don't know how it actually works in Podiatry School...maybe some schools "push" their students to do 3 year residencies?? But from what I have seen on SDN, it seems like there are a good number of students who don't want to do a 3 yr residency...or heck ANY residency.

These factors might play into those stats.

IMO, the best stats to look at are entering stats, part I pass rates, part II pass rates, and scramble rate.

After being in Podiatry School for a few years...I realized that the stats you see from each school are only a snapshot for that certain class at that time. It doesnt reflect what you will become. It tells you how that class performed. If 3 people didn't pass the boards, then it is those 3 students who didn't pass the boards. Just because they failed doesn't mean it's the school's fault, it is the students fault for failing. We all have the same study material and it is based on individual performance. I actually got many of the other schools notes from their classes and after comparing, they are all teaching the same stuff.
Like I said a thousand times, those stats mean nothing to you. If you put the time in, you will get what you want. Some students would do better at certain schools. Find the one you want. If a school has a high scramble rate for 2010, does that mean you will scramble?...I say no. There were some good Residency programs that had to scramble, doesn't mean that residency is not good. I think it matters more what Medical School you go to for Residency placement, but for Podiatry, it's not that way IMO.
I like it when a school has 100% residency placement and then uses that as a marketing tool for years to come. Sometimes not all students get a residency because they had a family issue, failed the boards, had a baby, or other reasons. I wouldn't recommend going to school based off these stats. GO to that school because they are in a great location close to home, family, have nice facilities, have cheap cost of living, a place for your wife and kids would enjoy, or other reasons that you have control over.
I hope you can see my reasoning in my ramblings. Me and many of my friends from other schools agree that many of the things we thought were important in a school don't really matter. Just my opinion and I am sure there are many that disagree and that is fine. Everyone is different and thats' why everyone says their school is the best. They all are. Go Lakers!

Paulywog,

You bring up a point that many Podiatry Students and Residents have also mentioned. In the end it is up to the individual.