3 years of college with AA enough ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cam89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello yall, my name is Cam and im new to the forums ( =. I finish my AA next semester, It will take me about another year to finish all my prerequistes for pharmacy school. My question is, will I still be able to get in even without a BA or BS? What will my chances be? So far I have a 3.1 overall gpa and a 3.8 science gpa.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello yall, my name is Cam and im new to the forums ( =. I finish my AA next semester, It will take me about another year to finish all my prerequistes for pharmacy school. My question is, will I still be able to get in even without a BA or BS? What will my chances be? So far I have a 3.1 overall gpa and a 3.8 science gpa.

I cannot speak for all schools, but I know that most of the schools are requiring you to have a BS or BA by the time pharm school begins. You should go to the schools that are interested in and check for their requirements. Good luck to you Cam.

I cannot speak for all schools, but I know that most of the schools are requiring you to have a BS or BA by the time pharm school begins. You should go to the schools that are interested in and check for their requirements. Good luck to you Cam.

Agree with the above statement.

Can you get in without a BA/BS? Sure.

Will the odds be stacked against you? Definitely.

From what I have seen, there is definitely an increasing trend of people matriculating into pharmacy school with at least a bachelor's degree nowadays. Take UT-Austin for example...

2009 Accepted Applicants - 31/125 with BS or higher
2010 Accepted Applicants - 53/125 with BS or higher
2011 Accepted Applicants - 70/125 with BS or higher
2012 Accepted Applicants - ??/125 with BS or higher - (increase predicted given the trend)

I'm not trying to scare you but just stating what the trend is now for pharmacy school admissions. Overall, a high pre-req GPA, PCAT scores, and extracurriculars is one of the best ways to increase your odds. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Check out some of the references in my signature. The Admissions Requirements Guide is a great place to start, since it can give you a good idea of how many schools do and don't require bachelors degrees. Start looking into the schools that already interest you, as many schools will actually list the stats for the recently-admitted class.

I know at my school about 55-60% per class have their bachelors degree. To be fair, I didn't finish my bachelors until the end of P1 Fall.

2009 Accepted Applicants - 31/125 with BS or higher
2010 Accepted Applicants - 53/125 with BS or higher
2011 Accepted Applicants - 70/125 with BS or higher
2012 Accepted Applicants - ??/125 with BS or higher - (increase predicted given the trend)

I'm not trying to scare you but just stating what the trend is now for pharmacy school admissions. Overall, a high pre-req GPA, PCAT scores, and extracurriculars is one of the best ways to increase your odds. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

While this is true, if you plan to apply with an AA, you should really focus on your GPA and PCAT scores.

I applied with an AA in Logistics Management and have been accepted to 1 of my top schools and have interviews coming up with the rest. My GPA is 4.0 Science and 3.54 overall with a PCAT score of 83.

You can get in with an AA but having a BA/BS in a related field could help you in the long run. Talk to the schools your interested in applying to and talk to Pharmacists in the fields your interested in, those would be your best pools of resources.

FWIW, I got into MWU-CPG with "just" an AS. My situation is a bit unique in that we have a very robust community college system in AZ, so it's possible to do all of the prereqs to the same standard as the unis entirely at CC.

Something like 20% of the most recent class did not have an undergrad degree or higher. The trick is showing that you can handle the work load (& upper level classes) without a BS. The field is definitely moving towards that requirement, though.

If I were in your shoes, I would apply without the degree (as long as your schools don't require) and make it your backup plan to continue for a BS. Besides additional preparatory work, not sure the degree would ever matter once you have that PharmD behind your name. :cool: