3-yr Accelerated Programs REVIEWS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccn042000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone please provide an updated list of 3-year accelerated pharmacy programs?? I feel like I am missing some on my list. Does the Creighton university distance pathway program---allow you to finish w/in 3 years?? Thanks in advance for the info! :love::love:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi you guys!!

I am particularly interested in applying to a 3-year pharmacy program. I would love to hear from current pharmacy students (or anyone who is familiar with the programs) from the following schools:

Appalachian College of Pharmacy
Duquesne University
Ferris State University
LECOM School of Pharmacy
Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences – Worcester
Midwestern University/Glendale
Pacific University Oregon
South University
Southwestern Oklahoma State University
Sullivan University
University of the Pacific (CA)
University of Southern Nevada

Big determining factors for me:

1) Tuition costs (out-of-state)---personally I would like to not pay more than what a pharmacist makes in a year for tuition ( which will probably knock University of the Pacific out of the running considering the first year tuition is 73k).
2) LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION (...i.e. I read from other posts that Appalachian College is located in the middle of nowhere)
3) How are rotation locations selected or determined (i.e....are the horror stories true about LECOM?)
4) Diversity
5) Campus Feel and Demeanor of Faculty/Staff (how helpful are they)?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated! I am trying to narrow down my app list. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Tuition costs (out-of-state)---personally I would like to not pay more than what a pharmacist makes in a year for tuition ( which will probably knock University of the Pacific out of the running considering the first year tuition is 73k).

Oh my God! My four year tuition is not 73k!!! :eek:

Oh my God! My four year tuition is not 73k!!! :eek:

It's funny you bolded it and still failed to realize---that is the cost of 1st year tuition only. Second year is also 73k and with a slight reduced tuition cost for P3. Try reading carefully, next time.

It's funny you bolded it and still failed to realize---that is the cost of 1st year tuition only. Second year is also 73k and with a slight reduced tuition cost for P3. Try reading carefully, next time.

Um, I did realize that. My point was that 73k for one year of tuition is more than my total tuition for four years. Hense the "Oh my God!"

What made you think I didn't understand? I think your reading comprehension can use some work.

One thing I did see if you download the course catalog is that Appalachian isn't accredited by SACS yet. Let me quote their handbook:

" Financial Aid and Scholarships

ACP is not accredited by the Southern Association for Colleges and Schools. Until ACP is
accredited by the Southern Association for Colleges and Schools (SACS) we will not qualify for Title IV federally-guaranteed financial aid, including federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans. ACP was granted candidate status by ACPE in June 2007 and is currently pursuing accreditation by SACS.

In the interim, ACP will work with banks and private lending institutions to attempt to secure affordable financial aid for qualified students. Students will need good personal credit ratings, loan guarantors, or collateral to meet most loan requirements. Students must receive a letter of admission from the Admissions Office before the Director of Financial Aid can begin the financial assistance process. Applications for scholarships will be forwarded to students once their $1,000 Seat Deposit fee is received."

So yeah, if you go you are paying about 130k in private loans, NO federal loans. That is enough right now to steer me away. It'll help for people in the future when they can get federal loans but not much for people right now who are matriculating next year.

Oops! My bad, I guess I missed the word "my" in your statement.

USN
1. Expensive-around 40k per year.
2. You get your choice on location if your chosen campus isn't full already. You get Henderson, NV (right next to Vegas) or South Jordan, Utah so if you are into to outdoors activities or into nightlife, I'm sure you can find a happy home. You'll probably be studying a lot though.
3. You can set up your own rotations if you are out of the area or you can choose from a list in the area. Selection is done by lottery if you are going off of the school's list.
4. Very diverse- they have a picture of some of my classmates on the website under "Prospective students" so you can see for yourself.
5. I'm giving this one a mixed review. We are always getting emails telling us not to go back to the offices unless we call first. Other campuses have open door policies. I think it sets a bad tone but they think it is for security reasons. Most profs are fairly responsive to email but that is also hit and miss. Campus looks like an office park.

One thing I did see if you download the course catalog is that Appalachian isn't accredited by SACS yet. Let me quote their handbook:

" Financial Aid and Scholarships

ACP is not accredited by the Southern Association for Colleges and Schools. Until ACP is
accredited by the Southern Association for Colleges and Schools (SACS) we will not qualify for Title IV federally-guaranteed financial aid, including federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans. ACP was granted candidate status by ACPE in June 2007 and is currently pursuing accreditation by SACS.

In the interim, ACP will work with banks and private lending institutions to attempt to secure affordable financial aid for qualified students. Students will need good personal credit ratings, loan guarantors, or collateral to meet most loan requirements. Students must receive a letter of admission from the Admissions Office before the Director of Financial Aid can begin the financial assistance process. Applications for scholarships will be forwarded to students once their $1,000 Seat Deposit fee is received."

So yeah, if you go you are paying about 130k in private loans, NO federal loans. That is enough right now to steer me away. It'll help for people in the future when they can get federal loans but not much for people right now who are matriculating next year.

I applied to Appalachian, but it doesn't seem really... legit. I'm not sure about it.

which will probably knock University of the Pacific out of the running considering the first year tuition is 73k

At first I was like :eek:, so I went to their website to verify this. The tuition itself is only 57K, but with their estimated cost of living factored in it comes to around 73K. Still though... I mean maybe I'm just spoiled by how cheap it is in Texas, but that's ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad :)
At first I was like :eek:, so I went to their website to verify this. The tuition itself is only 57K, but with their estimated cost of living factored in it comes to around 73K. Still though... I mean maybe I'm just spoiled by how cheap it is in Texas, but that's ridiculous.

Only 57k? Well alright then. Here I thought they were overcharging for tuition. Thank you for clearing that up. ;)

Sorry, I should have broke it down. I automatically included cost of living b/c i am out-of-state resident. And well cali is hardly cheap. I am from Texas as well...and going to a 3-yr school--- I am not sure if it's all its cracked to be, just to get into the workforce earlier. But I want to do all my research before I decide.

You say "location, location, location", but don't specify where you would prefer to live.
Midwestern in is Glendale (hence the name), Arizona. If you like the heat, come on over. If you don't, choose somewhere else.
As of right now, tuition and fees are sittin at just over $40k a year.

that is so true delano2000...I also want a list for 3 year school but I have not made a list by myself...:) .

delano2000 do you know what does delano means in spanish??? I hope you do,...lol just kidding:thumbup:

Wow. soooo expensive!!! You still going to University of the Pacific then?? Yikes

Location wise...I would prefer somewhere that is nice weather all year-round but I also do recognize that tropical weather comes at price. Arizona is one of contenders but I am trying to figure out how I would fund my tutition and cost of living w/o going too much into the whole.

Location wise...I would prefer somewhere that is nice weather all year-round but I also do recognize that tropical weather comes at price. Arizona is one of contenders but I am trying to figure out how I would fund my tutition and cost of living w/o going too much into the whole.

I didn't know that a hot oven with thunderstorms and flash floods was considered nice weather year round. :rolleyes: Tropical desert eh?

I'm sorry but I had to LOL at the notion that Arizona has nice weather year round. The summers are HOT, and I am not talking about "Oh darn, I guess I gotta turn my AC on". I am talking about stuff melting in your car, your feet burning on the pavement if you wear thin sandals, breaking a sweat from your door to the car and long, long periods without rain. Your skin and lips dry out, too. The rest of the year (like now) AZ is absolutely wonderful weather wise but the summers are practically unbearable. Midwestern is a good choice for a school if you are doing the 3 year thing but please, please be informed about your decision. The cost of living here isn't too bad but you will need a car.

I didn't know that a hot oven with thunderstorms and flash floods was considered nice weather year round. :rolleyes: Tropical desert eh?

Well I come from HI and moving to AZ really wasn't that bad... Sure it's hot in the summer but what I'm really not used to is when it's cold lol. Since HI can get really hot (lower degrees, feels the same, but with sweat), it's not so bad... but it never gets to 40 degrees... I just wanted to hibernate all winter. Plus, the lack of rain and clouds all year makes the thunderstorms and flashfloods fun and exciting! :rolleyes: lol

It's true though what Lea said about the heat, it wasn't as bad for me because I was used to heat when I came here. And don't hope that the "breeze" will save you here in the AZ summer... it feels like someone turned their blow dryer on you at full heat.

MCP - Worcester

1) Tuition costs (out-of-state)---40k plus living expenses
2) LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION --In Worcester, MA, about 1 hr outside of Boston. The town of Worcester is a decent size, but isn't the greatest area...not much to do in terms of nightlife, etc. Boston is great, but communiting there from Worcester would be via train or car. Trains run at weird times on the weekends/evenings and parking in Boston is uber expensive.
3) How are rotation locations selected or determined (i.e....are the horror stories true about LECOM?) --Not sure the selection process, but these students do many rotations at UMASS and Baystate (located in Springfield).
4) Diversity --fairly diverse in terms of Asian/Indian students, probably the same as most schools as far as Latino/African Americans.
5) Campus Feel and Demeanor of Faculty/Staff (how helpful are they)? Staff is decent, the campus is mostly a commuter campus and the students tend to be older (ie completed prior degrees).

MCP - Worcester

2) LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION --In Worcester, MA, about 1 hr outside of Boston. The town of Worcester is a decent size, but isn't the greatest area...not much to do in terms of nightlife, etc. Boston is great, but communiting there from Worcester would be via train or car. Trains run at weird times on the weekends/evenings and parking in Boston is uber expensive.
3) How are rotation locations selected or determined (i.e....are the horror stories true about LECOM?) --Not sure the selection process, but these students do many rotations at UMASS and Baystate (located in Springfield).
4) Diversity --fairly diverse in terms of Asian/Indian students, probably the same as most schools as far as Latino/African Americans.
5) Campus Feel and Demeanor of Faculty/Staff (how helpful are they)? Staff is decent, the campus is mostly a commuter campus and the students tend to be older (ie completed prior degrees).

That's why I applied there.

Arizona is a contender due to the fact it is warmer than most of the other 3-yr schools. I prefer warmer climates over colder. California (ie. Tropical weather---Pacific University) would be most ideal, but as I said the tuition...is really expensive. Geez...I guess I need to be specific with my comments.....:shifty:

:)Thanks for input!!!!!

MCP - Worcester

Thanks for the helpful comments. Are you currently a intern---p3?

I'm sorry but I had to LOL at the notion that Arizona has nice weather year round. The summers are HOT, and I am not talking about "Oh darn, I guess I gotta turn my AC on". I am talking about stuff melting in your car, your feet burning on the pavement if you wear thin sandals, breaking a sweat from your door to the car and long, long periods without rain. Your skin and lips dry out, too. The rest of the year (like now) AZ is absolutely wonderful weather wise but the summers are practically unbearable. Midwestern is a good choice for a school if you are doing the 3 year thing but please, please be informed about your decision. The cost of living here isn't too bad but you will need a car.

That's why I applied there.

For all 5 of those reasons? :)

Since the discussion of weather came up... MA is a cold state. They get a lot of snow too.

I should add that you will also need a car to get around. The cost of living is less than the Boston area, but may be considered expensive compared to other areas around the country.

For all 5 of those reasons? :)

Since the discussion of weather came up... MA is a cold state. They get a lot of snow too.

I should add that you will also need a car to get around. The cost of living is less than the Boston area, but may be considered expensive compared to other areas around the country.

Actually yes although that info came to me via word of mouth. You just stated it much better. And for the record, I like the cold. ;)

EDIT: I liked the idea of living just outside of Boston. So although Worcester might not be the best city to live in, it did match with what I needed in terms of lifestyle. I actually did one of those online quizzes (what's the best city for you?) And Worcester was number 4 or 5. A couple of cities in CT were my number 1 and 2. Quite frankly, I don't know if I "belong" in the Southwest.

Last edited:
Actually yes although that info came to me via word of mouth. You just stated it much better. And for the record, I like the cold. ;)

EDIT: I liked the idea of living just outside of Boston. So although Worcester might not be the best city to live in, it did match with what I needed in terms of lifestyle. I actually did one of those online quizzes (what's the best city for you?) And Worcester was number 4 or 5. A couple of cities in CT were my number 1 and 2. Quite frankly, I don't know if I "belong" in the Southwest.

I like my seasons. I would never survive in AZ. The Northeast is alright, but the cost of living in the metro areas can get pretty bad.

Arizona is a contender due to the fact it is warmer than most of the other 3-yr schools. I prefer warmer climates over colder. California (ie. Tropical weather---Pacific University) would be most ideal, but as I said the tuition...is really expensive. Geez...I guess I need to be specific with my comments.....:shifty:

Actually that's good advice in general.