30 As, 2 A-s, 1...P??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1bagel4toasts

Reaction score
Currently a junior with all As (except for 2 A-s) for the past 5 semesters but in light of the pandemic, my school offered an optional P/F for classes.
I'm taking 17 credits (maximum is 18 so my workload is heavy) but I would really like to alleviate some stress by taking P/F for one non prereq/science class because I have to take care of some issues at home...I have As in all of my other classes this semester as well
Would me opting for one P during Covid-19 while I'm having personal issues will be frowned upon by adcoms? Based on my transcript I think I have proven that I am strong academically so will that stupid P immediately change adcoms' decision
I know a lot of people are saying "take the grade" because "it won't hurt your chances"/"adcoms won't make a huge deal over it" but at the same time wouldn't that apply to a P as well?
Thank you guys so much it sucks stressing about this on top of the things I'm dealing with at home

Members don't see this ad.

Whats the grade in question? Spill the beans

Also, I feel like you already know the answer to this question. To avoid looking like a perfectionist to an adcom that may or may not interpret it as a poorer grade than it really is (because it WILL likely stick out like a sore thumb), probably should just take the letter grade.
edit: spelling

IMO only go for the P if its C- or below. I believe that is usually the cutoff for retaking anyways?

Also what class is it? There would probably be more lenience with say a C in a PE class vs a C in biochem or orgo, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO only go for the P if its C- or below. I believe that is usually the cutoff for retaking anyways?

Also what class is it? There would probably be more lenience with say a C in a PE class vs a C in biochem or orgo, etc.

It's a public health class, so I'm not sure how "lenient" it is. Another question is that if med schools are going to accept P/F for the mandatory prereqs, wouldn't they be fine with seeing P/F for non-prereqs? Their ultimate reason for changing their prerequisite policy for this semester is to compensate for people who either 1) have mandatory P/F, 2) are directly impacted by the virus, 3) have family members impacted by the virus

Sitting on a B but my last grade is the final exam which is 30% of the entire grade...
I understand that the P will stick out but I'm also worried that a low B will stick out just the same.
Would adcom look at this semester as if there was no Covid-19?
With all As and a couple A-s, I honestly wouldn't fret a B or low B imo

Reactions: 1 user
It's a public health class, so I'm not sure how "lenient" it is. Another question is that if med schools are going to accept P/F for the mandatory prereqs, wouldn't they be fine with seeing P/F for non-prereqs? Their ultimate reason for changing their prerequisite policy for this semester is to compensate for people who either 1) have mandatory P/F, 2) are directly impacted by the virus, 3) have family members impacted by the virus
Depends on the school but yeah for the most part I believe schools are saying Ps are ok for any grades this semester. The problem here would line in the fact you have normal grades for the rest of the classes for this semester.

I second not fretting over a B. My understanding is that this year schools will ask on their secondaries to explain any P/F grades. Do you have a sufficient answer for why you have this one class P but the others letter grades?

Depends on the school but yeah for the most part I believe schools are saying Ps are ok for any grades this semester. The problem here would line in the fact you have normal grades for the rest of the classes for this semester.

So is it basically implied that this policy change only applies to people who have P/F across the board for this semester?

So is it basically implied that this policy change only applies to people who have P/F across the board for this semester?
Will they accept a P along with normal grades? Yeah i think so. But I don't think it will look better than just taking the B

I second not fretting over a B. My understanding is that this year schools will ask on their secondaries to explain any P/F grades. Do you have a sufficient answer for why you have this one class P but the others letter grades?

I am basically guaranteed an A for all of my other classes so I'm not really being paranoid about them but the one class that is stressing me out happens to be the class that I have the B (or lower grade) in. In other words, I have no need to change my other grades to P simply because I'm not worried about them.

Like I said in my original post, I am currently dealing with some family issues (I would prefer not to disclose this information) that's as a result of the pandemic so I thought maybe taking P/F in public health would allow me to focus on personal problems.

I am basically guaranteed an A for all of my other classes so I'm not really being paranoid about them but the one class that is stressing me out happens to be the class that I have the B (or lower grade) in. In other words, I have no need to change my other grades to P simply because I'm not worried about them.

Like I said in my original post, I am currently dealing with some family issues (I would prefer not to disclose this information) that's as a result of the pandemic so I thought maybe taking P/F in public health would allow me to focus on personal problems.
No need to disclose anything personal. What I was getting at was it will be difficult to explain why you didn't also perform subpar in your other classes due to these issues, and only have this one singled out. It has the potential to cast doubt on your reasoning since not all courses are being equally impacted. If you got an A in every other class despite the pandemic and family issues, why couldn't you get an A in this one? -or so an adcom may think.

Hope i'm explaining this clearly enough.

Again, not every single adcom may view it this way, but it is definitely a risky move that could backfire. I am risk averse, so I still vote for taking the letter grade. Up to you and how well you think you can explain it.

Either you're going to have to take the P, have adcoms assume you would have got a C in the class, and explain the personal problem you don't want to discuss, or take the B- that noone's ever going to ask you about. Seriously I got an F and it never came up in any of my interviews. I'm non-traditional so it's a bit different, but I can't imagine anyone's going to ask you about a low B... Even a C wouldn't be that bad.

Reactions: 3 users
No need to disclose anything personal. What I was getting at was it will be difficult to explain why you didn't also perform subpar in your other classes due to these issues, and only have this one singled out. It has the potential to cast doubt on your reasoning since not all courses are being equally impacted. If you got an A in every other class despite the pandemic and family issues, why couldn't you get an A in this one? -or so an adcom may think.

Hope i'm explaining this clearly enough.

Again, not every single adcom may view it this way, but it is definitely a risky move that could backfire. I am risk averse, so I still vote for taking the letter grade. Up to you and how well you think you can explain it.
I think for someone who's gotten almost all As, there's a bit of leeway. There's always the chance for an unreasonable professor, or something beyond your control, and it's not a big deal if you've proven yourself. A P, alternatively, makes it look like you're hiding something.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you are overthinking it. No, the policy applies to everyone. If your school made P/F mandatory for all classes, there would be nothing you can do about it and schools would understand.

Since it's optional at your school, and you're only electing it for the one class, the implication will be that you are masking a C because most people wouldn't feel the need to mask a B. Will a P kill your application? No, but then again, neither would a single C. Do whatever makes you happy, because the one non-prereq class is not going to determine your future, but don't think that anyone reading your transcript with all As and one P is going to assume that P is another A, because it isn't and they won't.

Whether you get a W, P or C for this one class will not affect the overall competitiveness of your application. If this class is preventing you from taking care of things at home, consider withdrawing to free up time (this is what W's are for). Even if asked about this on secondaries or interviews, you have a valid reason. Do what you need to maintain your health and sanity. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users
I had the same grades. All A's other than 2 A-'s and 1 B. The only time it was ever brought up was when an interviewer made a joke about it. Just take the B it won't do anything.

I vote for taking the P. It's a stressful time and it is a non pre-req. Be kind to yourself in pandemic land, take the P, and move on. Anecdotally, I had two W's on my transcript and it never came up and I got plenty of interviews at solid schools.