30+ MCAT Study Habits- The CBT Version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omegaxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Your individual scores and composite score
PS=14 VR=13 WS=Q BS=14 Composite=41Q

2) The study method used for each section
PS&BS: Reviewed all the materials (except Organic Chem, because I just finished a year long O. Chem course and knew it like the back of my hand). Practiced.
VR: Practice, practice, practice.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Princeton Review all the way.

4) Which practice tests did you use?
Princeton Review all the way.
I also bought AAMC 4-6 for building confidence two weeks before the actual exam.

5) What was your undergraduate major?
Pharmacology & English, although I took the exam after sophomore year so I just had the prereq sciences and five English courses under my belt.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Read smartly, and read a lot, not just textbooks and scientific papers and newspaper, but also materials in the humanities department.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?
2.5 months (~10 weeks), averaging ~3 hrs/day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I've read this post several times, but it's worth quoting to bring back up to the front. Just magnificent.

this is a section that I am happy to see has increased in # questions for the new mcat. more questions while mind numbing also decrease sensitivity to errors and chance.

as far as the psychological and sociological section being introduced...i hope the fact that the test has to resort to this to stay "relevant" isn't indicative of a much wider flaw in medical education....

Individual scores and composite:

PS 11, VR, 13, BS 10

How I studied for each section:

Verbal:
I didn't study much for the verbal section. I have a law degree and majored in English, and after a few solid practice sections, I decided that my time was better spent doing content review and practicing the other sections. When I took FL MCATs I obviously completed the verbal sections, but that was about it.

PS and BS:
For both of these sections, I watched every single Khan Academy video for every section tested at least once, some multiple times. I also drilled practice problems 6 days/week, usually 80 in one sitting without breaks so that I would be used to the mental fatigue of the MCAT. My goal for both sections was to understand the big picture behind every question. I knew that the odds of a particular question being repeated were slim to none, so I wanted to make sure that I understood the general concepts underlying the question and could answer tweaked versions of the same question.

I also focused A LOT on why the other answer choices were wrong. THIS IS A GREAT WAY TO GET POINTS! There are almost definitely going to be questions that leave you clueless on the MCAT, but you should be able to eliminate 1 or 2 answers just based on your background information. If you approach questions deductively, the entire test seems much less overwhelming, and you won't panic when you see a question you can't immediately answer.

Materials Used:
Khan Academy was the biggest help. I'm going to send that man flowers. He focuses on explaining everything as intuitively as possible, and he derives formulas whenever possible. This is huge! Most of the questions on the PS section of my MCAT were not plug-and-chug. You had to know the reasoning behind formulas -- WHY does x increase when y is decreased? Simply knowing that x does increase was not enough.

I also used the EK 1001 series, the 16 Mini MCATs book (terrible editing but still good practice), and my old textbooks for areas in which I needed extensive content review (ex: physiology of the kidneys).

I had not taken any orgo before taking the MCAT, so I watched every Khan Academy orgo video, read the Idiot's Guide to Organic Chemistry, and read the first half of an orgo textbook. I did practice problems on all of the more basic orgo concepts, but I knew that there was no way that I could replicate 2 semesters of class and labs on my own. I just tried to learn the basics and hoped that it would be enough.

FL AAMC MCATs:
I only took 4 full length tests. Many people on this forum would call me crazy for that, but after I took enough to get a feel for timing and pressure, I decided that my time was better spent focusing on the areas that I knew were my weakest. I also decided to stop taking any graded full length tests 2 weeks before my test date for the sake of my nerves. I didn't want to be one of those poor people who's completely unraveled by a 27 AAMC score during the week of their MCAT, despite months of making 30s.

FL AAMC Scores:
The 4 oldest ones, whichever they are. I got a 25 on the first one (before any studying or content review), then a 28, 30, and a 31. At that point, I stopped taking them. (Being broke was also a factor in this decision).

Undergrad Major:
English. I am a non-traditional student, and I took all of my science pre-reqs at a community college (aside from orgo, which I am taking now).

Time Spent Studying:
I spent the last year taking science pre-reqs, so I tend to think of that time as indirect MCAT prep. I studied solely for the MCAT full time for the entire months of May and June. My test date was July 2.

Tips:
I am proof that this test is not just about content. Obviously you need to be on solid ground with each of the subjects, otherwise the sheer stress of reading the questions alone will kill you. That said, if you understand the material CONCEPTUALLY, you have the background knowledge to eliminate answer choices, and that will carry you very far.

When you read a question, before you try to answer it yourself, read the answer choices. You should be able to eliminate 1 or 2 immediately, and you should do so manually on your test. This turns nearly every question into a 50/50 shot right off the bat, which is far less daunting than trying to come up with the answer on your own and then match it to the answer choices. If you have to guess because you're stuck between 2 or more remaining answers, guess and move on. Don't come back unless you have time left over and want to double-check math. You're not going to magically become an expert in optics in the next half hour. If you practice answering questions this way, it'll become second nature and you'll be able to do it very quickly. Doing this saved me a ton of time with each section because I wasn't trying to answer questions on my own, as if I was taking a fill in the blank test. I was just spotting stuff I knew was wrong and picking between the remaining answers, working problems only when I had to.

This ESPECIALLY works with verbal. With every verbal question, I looked at the answer choices and thought, "3 of these MUST be wrong, and 1 MUST be right. Let me knock out every answer choice that is flawed until I'm left with one that I can't disprove." Looking for flaws in answer choices is much less stressful (and much more doable!) than attempting to know the correct answer to every question you read. It also prevents you from falling into the trap of choosing the answer that sounds the best, because the answer that sounds the best is almost always somehow flawed.

I hope this helps! Good luck everyone! And remember, you can have fulfilling, important careers no matter your MCAT score. This does not dictate your future; you do.

Reactions: 1 users

5/27/08: 11 PS, 10 VR, 13 BS: 34S
7/2/13: 13PS, 13VR, 12 BS: 38

Long story: I was accepted then didn't go. Now I'm sure it's what I want to do. I d

I did some content review out of TPR for things I was sure I was rusty on. My main foci (noooo.... phyics never leaves) were physics and organic chem. This is mostly because I was always pretty good at bio and had been teaching gen chem, but hadn't touched physics in three years. But then I basically just followed a poor man's version of spinach method for science: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=988678 His method is awesome. The main thing is just to take lots of practice tests. Then after you finish that test, you must must go over it in detail. I used evernote and would have the AAMC test open in one window and then have evernote open in the other. I made notes on anything that jumped out on me on any question. For stuff I consistently forgot, I used quizlet to make flash cards and then downloaded it into my iPhone.

For Verbal, I didn't find spinach's ways were what worked for me. Except for when he said to ignore the reasoning that is behind non AAMC test answers. A few things from the TPR were helpful.
-Before reading the passage quickly skim all the questions for any quotes from the passage so I knew highlight them as I read.
-After reading the passage STOP and THINK. Think to yourself (initially i had to write it) what is the the MAIN POINT of the passage. Then, very quickly, talk yourself through the flow. Main thing this helped with was to get a sense of the overall proportion that was devoted to a certain part of the argument. This helped with questions that would make the end or the beginning the main point, but then trickily phrase the overall idea.
-When reading questions, first say to yourself what the answer should do without reading the choices. Then find that. It surprised me, but it really worked.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

TPR for content review, practice questions and AAMC for practices tests. I also would just Google things that I could understand on Youtube and such. Some were from Khan academy, others were just an o chem prof explaining sn2/sn1/e1/e2. The way that I knew what to review was mostly just what I missed or felt unsure of on my practice exams.

AAMC and just a few TPR practice tests. I didn't care anywhere near about TPR scores as AAMC.

AAMC Scores
Test 3: I took this first, I think I got a 34, but I think I did it untimed.
Test 4 (6/3/13) 11P, 12V, 11B, 34 overall. This was basically my first full test with very little content review.
Test 10 (6/11/13): 12P, 11V, 13B, 36 overall. This was after focused biological/physical review on what I had missed.
Test 5 (6/15/13): 13P, 11V, 13B. 37 overall. I felt terrible during this test but was surprised by the result.
Test 7 (6/20/13): 12P, 11V, 14B. 37 overall. Hadn't prepared enough but still replicated my performance.

After I hit both of those 37's a good, supportive friend of mine who is an MS3 suggested I just stop taking full practice tests since I was so close to my test day. So I did. I still did some AAMC practice sections, untimed.

For test 9 these gave me: 13P, 11V, 14B.

I do agree with taking it easy before your test day.

Biochemistry. But I'd been out of school for a 3 years and enrolled in an MPH program. I taught high school chemistry

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

1) Even if you feel awful about the test, don't void your scores, you probably did a lot better than you think

2) Sign up for when you feel best. I took it at 8AM which made me freak out the week before and be a big baby with my family because I am NOT a morning person. I would have been a lot more relaxed had I taken it in the afternoon.

3) Find your test day food,what you'll have during breaks. This is clutch. Mine was skittles, almonds and five hour energy.

4) Before test day, I had come up with a list of equations I often forgot. The reason is simple: when you can hear the blood pumping in your ears and you have to work that convex mirror problem, you can get a formula which you know really well mixed up if you're nervous. If you take five minutes during the tutorial to regurgitate all of them, you will have that the security blanket while you take the test. I used a few of these while I took the test. My first list was constructed in reference to the formula list in the back TPR physics but I didn't use all of them. I focused on those that I would get tripped up on during practice tests. I also added something on convex lens being converging and a positive focal length. In summary: Come up with a list of formulas that you often forget. Memorize it and practice regurgitating before test day. Then on test day, regurgitate it as soon as you sit down.

5) My advice is always the same. Just take practice tests. Wherever you can get them. Then go over the material you missed (and for AAMC, go over the entire test, not just what you missed) and make notes/flash cards of that. Review it, do some practice passages, then take another practice test.

I know the feeling of but, but, but, I haven't reviewed x and y and z yet and I know I"m not totally comfortable. On a few of my practice tests I wanted to delay them because I was behind on content review but I chose not to and I think that was the best move. If you're really, really far gone on some area of content, okay I get it. But this last time around, for instance, I didn't know about close ended tubes/open ended for wavelength and the formulas for those. I hadn't gotten to that point in my content review. Popped up on a practice test and boom I learned it and never forgot it again.

Late May until early July 2013. But I also had taught high school chemistry for three years, so that helped on some parts I think.

Feel free to PM with any questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)

PS=12 VR=13 BS=14 Composite=39

Physics/Gen Chem:
Do lots of practice questions (discretes are okay to practice with as well, as passages questions are often essentially discretes). I think this is the most straightforward section to improve on. However, some of the later AAMC tests have more conceptual/reasoning based questions that had me pulling my hair out (like passage 7 on AAMC 10). There are also some questions that take two straightforward concepts and then combine them to create a more challenging question, for example AAMC 10 #20. When you come across questions like this, just separate out the two-three components and think about each separately.

Verbal:
Start with the least representative practice material, and work your way up so that before your exam, you're only doing AAMC problems. In the end, AAMC verbal feels a bit different than TPRH and very different than EK 101. So, I'd suggest starting with EK, then doing TPRH, and then finally doing AAMC/self-assessment. (Just a warning, I think TPRH questions incorporate reasoning much more than EK 101 which felt a lot more straightforward.)

In the beginning, don't worry about timing. It's most important to first be able to come up with the right method of reasoning to find the right answer, regardless of timing. Then, you can work on going through this thought process faster. But the thought process has to be there first, before you can work on timing. I did about the first third of my practice untimed (I didn't actually do many EK 101, I started with TPRH, and doing those untimed at first was very very helpful. I went from getting half the questions wrong in a passage to getting none to 1 or 2 wrong).

Also, a lot of verbal is basically logical reasoning. So looking at a couple logical fallacies and structures of logic websites might be useful. For example, a lot of the practice AAMC questions fall into the pattern: The author says if a, then b. Which of the following can you conclude? and the choices might be like if b then a, or if not a then not b, or if not b then not a. Also look at necessary and sufficient condition vs necessary but not sufficient. A strong foundation in logical reasoning helps a lot for the verbal. When you do your postgame analysis of practice passages, try to see the logical structure behind the question. This is what will help you improve.

One more thing: when reading the passage, really try to focus on what the author is saying, and follow the train of thought being presented. Beware that the train of thought doesn't necessary follow the paragraph structure. Think about reading poetry or Shakespeare. One of Shakespeare's plays begins with the line, "now is the winter of our discontent" and the next line is "made glorious summer by the son of york". If you don't follow the train of thought, and instead just follow the line structure, you might end up thinking it's winter now, instead of correctly interpreting that it's actually summer. So for example, in the context of MCAT VR paragraph 1 might be about how the author is saying red jackets are the best type of jacket to wear. So you might think okay, the author likes red jackets. But then halfway through paragraph 2 the author will say something like actually, only blue outerwear is good, and only idiots think anything else is good, and so the first paragraph was actually the author saying what an idiot would say. Then there might be a question about how the author might perceive someone who likes orange jackets, and the choices might be something like negatively, because he likes red jackets, or negatively because only idiots like colors other than blue, or positively because red and orange are similar colors, etc. If you didn't properly follow the train of thought regarding the author's views on outerwear color, and instead stopped at first paragraph, you'd misinterpret his views.

Bio/Orgo:
At first I didn't study orgo, and found my practice AAMC scores quite limited. I spent about a day reviewing Orgo (this was my strongest subject going in to the test), and found it really helped my scores. Don't neglect orgo, though of course, realize that it's only 25-30% of the test, and study accordingly.
For the more recent AAMC tests, BS more than any other section really emphasized thinking over knowing.

Don't go overboard on memorizing facts: EK is really enough. Just make sure you have a good understanding of how everything fits together and how everything works. You don't have to memorize, for example, the lac operon, or the concept of renal filtration rate, but you should understand the concepts enough that if it comes up in a passage, you'd be able to answer it. I can't emphasize enough, focus on understanding and being able to reason through passages not memorizing. If there's a concept in any AAMC question or passage that is unclear to you, make sure you read up on it until it makes sense in your mind.

Earlier AAMCs are a bit unrepresentative I think because they focus a lot more on content and physiology than later AAMCs which are more conceptual. Later AAMCs/ the official guide have lots of passages that are based on pathways, and understanding how factors interact. For example, if you're given the pathway A to B to C to D, and X inhibits C, and Y is necessary to activate X, how does an increase in Y affect D? Get in the habit of drawing out pathways/chain events as you're reading the passage, as this really helps you understand the passage, and answer the questions. In fact, the dreaded Ebola passage on AAMC 11 can be greatly simplified by drawing out a map like this. TPRH SW has some great conceptual questions to practice with.

Bio: EK supplemented by TPR, online websites, Campbell's Bio, and TPRH science workbook passages. I hadn't taken a physiology course, so I found the supplementary materials essential for me here. EK is very light if you are not already familiar with the topic. I like TPR's tone a lot, since it feels like it's actually explaining concepts to you rather than just presenting you with facts. TPR also does a good job of connecting ideas together. TPRH science workbook has some great experimental bio passages that really make you think about the information they're presenting you. I tried EK 1001, and I think the questions are good for nailing down basic facts, but can also be way too detailed oriented as a whole.

Orgo, physics, gen chem: TPR supplemented by textbooks as necessary. I completed the TPRH science workbook discrete questions for physics and gen chem.
Verbal: TRPH Verbal workbook. I tried EK 101, but didn't like the style. It just felt different than real MCAT questions.

All: Official Guide to the MCAT, AAMC Self-Assessments

SA Bio 83%
SA Organic 88%
Gen Chem 91%
Physics 86%
Verbal 88%

AAMC 3
PS 11 - VR 12 - BS 11 = 34
AAMC 4
PS 13 - VR 12 - BS 12 = 37
AAMC 5
PS 12 - VR 11 - BS 12 = 35
AAMC 7
AAMC 8
PS 12 - VR 11 - BS 13 = 36
AAMC 9
PS 14 - VR 12 - BS 11 = 37
AAMC 11
PS 11 - VR 11 - BS 14 = 36
AAMC 10

Note: even though my scores don't really change much, the types of mistakes I made changed from conceptual mistakes in the beginning to more careless mistakes by the end (I took a full length every day leading up to my MCAT, and was burnt out by the end). On the real thing, I think the increased pressure helped me focus better and eliminate my careless mistakes. Think about how you normally perform under pressure to get an idea of if you'll do better, worse, or the same on the real thing.

Social Science. I was a bit light on science classes. I hadn't taken physiology for example and it had been 4 years since I took gen chem back in high school. However, I think my major was still helpful to me because my professors and classes really emphasized analysis and reasoning, which I think is a very important foundation for the MCAT. You can fill in content gaps easily enough on your own if necessary, but it's much harder to learn to reason without the help of professors/classes to guide you.

- I think most people go way overboard on content review. I'd recommend trying to get through an initial quick content review (maybe 2-3 weeks per subject max) as fast as you can, and then taking the self-assessment for that subject. I was surprised to find how little detail was expected for some topics, and likewise, found I needed to greatly brush up on some deficiencies on others. But brushing up after seeing weaknesses in the SA was much more time efficient I think, than just over-studying from the start. The MCAT does require background knowledge, but a large part of succeeding is being able to recognize the pattern of logic tested by the MCAT, and learning the type of reasoning they want you to apply. So don't blindly spend 6 months on content review before trying any AAMC material

- Be sure to review the AAMC content outlines. No prep book is perfect; often a couple points are missed from these outlines.

- If you can, try to take a bio class based on reading and analyzing papers. I took one like this, and it was really helpful learning how to analyze and draw conclusions from the types of experiments/concepts presented on the BS section.

- During your prereq classes, more than just getting a good grade, really focus on understanding the topics presented to you. This really really helped me in studying for the MCAT. There were a few topics that I hadn't learned well during my classes (like optics and waves in physics) that I had to spend quite a lot of time understanding during my review. But for other subjects like organic chemistry and molecular biology, I had devoted a lot of time to understanding it during the class so I was able to breeze through the review.

- Be true to your own study habits. For example, I like focusing on one topic at a time, so I did each subject in a block of 1-2 weeks, whereas others might prefer to rotate through subjects day by day. Just be sure to make review sheets of key facts for the subjects you study earlier if you do what I did. Also, start with your strongest subject just because getting started studying is hard enough as it is. Another example, I'm always a crammer. Most people say don't study the day before the MCAT, but I actually re-read the entire EK bio that day, and even studied in the waiting room, waiting to go in and take my MCAT. This is just how I always study; the extra information didn't really help me, but just the act of reading through familiar information right until my exam started steadied my brain. Do what works for you, and take all advice with a grain of salt.

-Be sure to incorporate practice questions during your content review. Start with discretes, and do some passages as well. People often say discretes aren't that helpful to practice, but I found it really helpful to hammer down the concepts.

- During MCAT exams (practice and the real thing), close your eyes and count for a couple seconds between each passage/each section to really clear your mind of any lingering questions from the last passage. This is really important especially in verbal to help you focus fully.

- Do very thorough post-game analysis. Really focus on understanding how the AAMC writes and structures its questions. What is the logic they want you to use to answer the question? What is the incorrect logic they use to come up with the wrong choices? What is the logic you used that led you to an incorrect answer? Why is that logic flawed? How can you correctly reason through a similar question in the future?

4-5 weeks.

Totally, I spent about 5 days on physiology, 5 days on the rest of bio, 5 days on physics, 5 days on gen chem, and 1 day on orgo. I started with an initial review of the subject, took the self-assessment, and then reviewed weak areas as necessary. I also completed the tprh verbal workbook during this time. Then, I took each of the AAMC practice tests, one test a day for 10 days, with one day off before my exam. It's difficult to say how many hours; I just studied as much as needed to accomplish my goal for that day, so anywhere from 3-15 hours. I had nothing else going on, but I did not have a set structure for studying. I started whenever I woke up, and took breaks whenever I felt tired. I think I took a couple days off in the middle of my content review because I got really tired of studying, lol. Also, I wasn't as efficient with my time as I could be (for example, some days only studying 3 hours), but I think it's important to not push yourself too hard or you'll get really burnt out. Take breaks as you need them. Keep time aside to do other things you enjoy--I for example, played with my dog, watched movies, and read books. If you do nothing but study for several weeks, you'll go crazy!

WOWOWOW. This was super long. I really hope this proves useful to someone in the future. I got a lot of great advice from SDN posts, and am hoping to pass it on to others. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
PS=15 VR=15 BS=14 Composite=44

PS: BR- Amazing for Physical sciences. I went through physics books 1+2 Orgo books 1+2 and chem books 1+2. I felt very confident after completing them!
VR: My secret: https://kindle.amazon.com, Read Read Read.
BS: Mixture of TPR and EK, If you have the background you will be fine.

3) What materials you used for each section
PS: BR, TPR sci workbook
VR: Not much, I did do the practice AAMC's and https://kindle.amazon.com
BS: TPR, and EK, Textbooks

Practice AAMC's

Pure Mathematics Minors: English Lit, Poli Sci
For VR: Read Read and Read some more. Any genre helps: fiction, Non fiction, newspapers
BS: Have a good textbook to reference when going through EK
PS: Having a math background helps:p, in all seriousness BR is awesome!
Dont stress, the MCAT is just another exam!!!!

On and off for 2 months.

What up, gangsta.

This was supposed to be a PM but I cant figure out how to delete it. Sorry!

Congrats on your awesome MCAT score, I just read your post about your MCAT experience and prepping for it. I have a question about some of the things you did too. I'm planning on taking a TPR course from January to April to prep for the MCAT in May. Based on your experience and all, would I be able to self-study on my own with other MCAT books i.e EK, BR and still devote enough time to the review course?

I'll be taking no classes this year other than Orgo I & II (fall, spring) so all my time spent will be either for the MCAT or class.

Thanks for your help and congrats again!!

Last edited:
1) Your individual scores and composite score.

35: 12PS, 12VR, 11BS.

2) The study method used for each section.

I had one month to study, so my focus was on completing as many practice passages and tests as I possibly could. I was very fortunate in that I completed a post-bacc program the month before I took the test, so there wasn't much I needed to review. I set a goal of 10-12passages for each day, and took a practice test every third day or so. I spent more time reviewing my answers, both correct and incorrect, than I did actually taking tests/doing passages.

3) What materials you used for each section.

Berkley Reivew books for all science subjects, and Exam Krackers 101 for verbal. I also purchased the EK sceince books, but I feel the content is not up to par so I quickly cast them aside.

AAMC only, though I would have liked to try some of Kaplan's PS material as I hear it's quite rigorous. I can't recall off the top of my head which ones, but my breakdown was: 29, 30, 32, 31, 34, 36 (I do know this was #11).

Accounting. My post-bacc program gave me the usual pre-req classes as well as upper level physiology, molecular biology, and histology. These three classes in particular were quite helpful, and I never felt the need to really review any BS material.

- Learn the material the first time around. This is possibly the most important piece of advice I can give.
- Focus on practice problems and practice tests; don't waste time reviewing things you already know.
- Start early.
- Try to keep perspective. The MCAT is a drop in the pail compared to what's ahead in medical school. Planning and hard work can get you the score you want.

One month. I wish I'd had more time, but I couldn't be happier with my score.

Members don't see this ad :)
so pumped I can actually post on this.

1) Your individual scores and composite score.

Jan 2013- 32 11PS 10V 11BS (1 half as$ed summer of studying and 1 month of intense studying)
Jul 2013- 35 11PS 10V 14BS (1 month of half as$ed studying and 2 weeks of intense studying)

After January, I felt defeated and completely demoralized. Although, I had no reason to feel this way considering my AAMC average was around 32.

here is my breakdown:
1st time and second time (a few I retook a few times)
AAMC 3
PS 9 - VR 10 - BS 9 = 28
PS 10- VR 10- BS11 =31
PS 13 - VR 11 - BS 12 = 36

AAMC 4
PS 10 - VR 9 - BS 11 = 30
PS 12 - VR 12 - BS 13 = 37 (the score that got me thinking I could crush this test)
PS 12 - VR 12 - BS 11 = 35
AAMC 8
PS 14 - VR 10 - BS 11 = 35

AAMC 5
PS 10- VR 11 - BS 12 = 33
PS 13 - VR 11 - BS 11 = 35

AAMC 7
PS 10 - VR 10 - BS 10 = 30
PS 13 - VR 9 - BS 14 = 36
AAMC 9
PS 13 - VR 8 - BS 13 = 34
PS 15 - VR 10 - BS 14 = 39

AAMC 10
PS 11 - VR 9 - BS 11 = 31
PS 12 - VR 10 - BS 14 = 36

as you can see I improved significantly from the first take to the second take for AAMC practice tests. For the most part this was probably due to me having seen the questions before.

Anyways things I did differently...

2) The study method used for each section.

PS- I got the same score. I essentially read through BR and understood everything in a few weeks (3 weeks), after this I took tons of practice passages in both TBR and TPRH. I felt I had PS down, but I still struggled with it. My best word of advice is using any and all resources. I told myself I would do all EK1001 questions for chem and physics, but after doing 100 or so I got extremely lazy. If you do these, review them and all the practice passages available, I promise you that you will do very well in PS.

VR- I took all the TBR practice passages last summer, did all the EK101 passages, and did all of the TPR passages. I think the reason I didn't improve much was my lack of thorough review. If you review and fully understand it as many others have said, you will see your verbal score sky rocket. At times I felt I had verbal on lock, it felt like something had clicked, so if you can get to this point and stay there, you will be fine.

BS- I loved bio, and studying for the mcat bio section was incredibly fun (yeah, I thought it was cool because I actually learned things from studying for BS that I did not know before, for instance the whole ovulation cycle and the hormones associated- that stuff was awesome in my eyes). If you take the view point I did on BS I assure you it will be the most pleasant section for you on the MCAT. After taking the MCAT the first time, I knew I was understanding all the huge concepts and physiology stuff, but I was missing discrete questions. This is when I ramped up my random knowledge game. I would constantly think about the little things and make sure I never had the chance to miss a stupid discrete because I forgot the smallest of detail. That's how I got a 14. It could have been pure luck, but I'd like to attribute at least a part of it to preparation and pure understanding of the biological sciences. If you understand science, can read scientific literature (probably helped me the most, if you aren't reading scientific journal articles in your bio classes, you're taking the wrong classes), and can analyze graphs quickly then this section will be a breeze. If you are having orgo trouble, just understand the basics. Know all of the reactions and study them, but don't put 100% of your efforts on memorizing everything, instead understand trends and why certain things happen the way they do, when you understand the trends and can apply things from on reaction to another reaction with similar reagents, you'll be good to go.

3) What materials you used for each section.

TBR, TPRH, and EK 1001. I mainly used TBR with a bit of TPRH, and EK 1001 the least. Kaplan exams were cool tool.

AAMC, all but 11 (in case I needed to retake), Kaplan 2 exams.

Biology

trust your preparation. I felt super prepared the first time around, got a 32. The second time around I was feeling less prepared in terms of full review, but I trusted myself and felt confident in my abilities.

it's not how much time you put into studying, it's how effective your studying is. Some people would look at my 1 month of half as$ed studying and 2 weeks of intense studying as not enough, but I worked hard and studied efficiently. I had a friend who supposedly studied 12 hours a day for 6 weeks and he ended up with a 30. I'm sure he didn't study that much, and if he actually did, he was doing something wrong because that is way too much preparation to only warrant a 30. If you have time, study early. If you are a freshman about to start classes in the fall, study hard in your classes, they will prepare you well no matter how much you want to think they are a waste of time. Also, study your mcat books along side your classes, I often found MCAT books explained tough concepts easily and really well. If you are not doing anything (as in, you are at home for weeks on end) during your winter/summer breaks during college, you should be reading books and gently skimming over MCAT prep books to refresh yourself on classes you took, etc. I wanted to do this and I think it would have been super helpful for reviewing purposes, but I was incredibly lazy and failed so head my advice people.

Good luck next generation of MCAT takers.

Last edited:

PS=12 VR=13 BS=14 Composite=39

Physics/Gen Chem:
Do lots of practice questions (discretes are okay to practice with as well, as passages questions are often essentially discretes). I think this is the most straightforward section to improve on. However, some of the later AAMC tests have more conceptual/reasoning based questions that had me pulling my hair out (like passage 7 on AAMC 10). There are also some questions that take two straightforward concepts and then combine them to create a more challenging question, for example AAMC 10 #20. When you come across questions like this, just separate out the two-three components and think about each separately.

Verbal:
Start with the least representative practice material, and work your way up so that before your exam, you’re only doing AAMC problems. In the end, AAMC verbal feels a bit different than TPRH and very different than EK 101. So, I’d suggest starting with EK, then doing TPRH, and then finally doing AAMC/self-assessment. (Just a warning, I think TPRH questions incorporate reasoning much more than EK 101 which felt a lot more straightforward.)

In the beginning, don’t worry about timing. It’s most important to first be able to come up with the right method of reasoning to find the right answer, regardless of timing. Then, you can work on going through this thought process faster. But the thought process has to be there first, before you can work on timing. I did about the first third of my practice untimed (I didn’t actually do many EK 101, I started with TPRH, and doing those untimed at first was very very helpful. I went from getting half the questions wrong in a passage to getting none to 1 or 2 wrong).

Also, a lot of verbal is basically logical reasoning. So looking at a couple logical fallacies and structures of logic websites might be useful. For example, a lot of the practice AAMC questions fall into the pattern: “The author says if a, then b. Which of the following can you conclude?” and the choices might be like “if b then a” or “if not a then not b” or “if not b then not a”. Also look at necessary and sufficient condition vs necessary but not sufficient. A strong foundation in logical reasoning helps a lot for the verbal. When you do your postgame analysis of practice passages, try to see the logical structure behind the question. This is what will help you improve.

One more thing—when reading the passage, really try to focus on what the author is saying, and follow the train of thought being presented. Beware that the train of thought doesn’t necessary follow the paragraph structure. Think about reading poetry or Shakespeare. One of Shakespeare’s plays begins with the line, “now is the winter of our discontent” and the next line is “made glorious summer by the son of york”. If you don’t follow the train of thought, and instead just follow the line structure, you might end up thinking it’s winter now, instead of correctly interpreting that it’s actually summer. So for example, in the context of MCAT VR paragraph 1 might be about how the author is saying red jackets are the best type of jacket to wear. So you might think okay, the author likes red jackets. But then halfway through paragraph 2 the author will say something like actually, only blue outerwear is good, and only idiots think anything else is good, and so the first paragraph was actually the author saying what an idiot would say. Then there might be a question about how the author might perceive someone who likes orange jackets, and the choices might be something like “negatively, because he likes red jackets” or “negatively because only idiots like colors other than blue” or “positively because red and orange are similar colors” etc. If you didn’t properly follow the train of thought regarding the author’s views on outerwear color, and instead stopped at first paragraph, you’d misinterpret his views.

Bio/Orgo:
At first I didn’t study orgo, and found my practice AAMC scores quite limited. I spent about a day reviewing Orgo (this was my strongest subject going in to the test), and found it really helped my scores. Don’t neglect orgo, though of course, realize that it’s only 25-30% of the test, and study accordingly.
For the more recent AAMC tests, BS more than any other section really emphasized thinking over knowing.

Don’t go overboard on memorizing facts—EK is really enough. Just make sure you have a good understanding of how everything fits together and how everything works. You don’t have to memorize, for example, the lac operon, or the concept of renal filtration rate, but you should understand the concepts enough that if it comes up, you’d be able to answer it. I can’t emphasize enough, focus on understanding and being able to reason through passages not memorizing. If there’s a concept in any AAMC question that is unclear to you, make sure you read up on it until it makes sense in your mind.

Earlier AAMCs are a bit unrepresentative I think because they focus a lot more on content and physiology than later AAMCs which are more conceptual. Later AAMCs/ the official guide have lots of passages that are based on pathways, and understanding how factors interact. For example, if you’re given the pathway A to B to C to D, and X inhibits C, and Y is necessary to activate X, how does an increase in Y affect D? Get in the habit of drawing out pathways/chain events as you’re reading the passage, as this really helps you understand the passage, and answer the questions. In fact, the dreaded Ebola passage on AAMC 11 can be greatly simplified by drawing out a map like this. TPRH SW has some great conceptual questions to practice with.

Bio: EK supplemented by TPR, online websites, Campbell’s Bio, and TPRH science workbook passages. I hadn’t taken a physiology course, so I found the supplementary materials essential for me here. EK is very light if you are not already familiar with the topic. I like TPR’s tone a lot, since it feels like it’s actually explaining concepts to you rather than just presenting you with facts. TPR also does a good job of connecting ideas together. TPRH science workbook has some great experimental bio passages that really make you think about the information they’re presenting you. I tried EK 1001, and I think the questions are good for nailing down basic facts, but can also be way too detailed oriented as a whole.

Orgo, physics, gen chem: TPR supplemented by textbooks as necessary. I completed the TPRH science workbook discrete questions for physics and gen chem.
Verbal: TRPH Verbal workbook. I tried EK 101, but didn’t like the style. It just felt different than real MCAT questions.

All: Official Guide to the MCAT, AAMC Self-Assessments

SA Bio 83%
SA Organic 88%
Gen Chem 91%
Physics 86%
Verbal 88%

AAMC 3
PS 11 - VR 12 - BS 11 = 34
AAMC 4
AAMC 5
PS 12 - VR 11 - BS 12 = 35
AAMC 7
AAMC 8
AAMC 9
PS 14 - VR 12 - BS 11 = 37
AAMC 11
PS 11 - VR 11 - BS 14 = 36
AAMC 10

Note: even though my scores don’t really change much, the types of mistakes I made changed from conceptual mistakes in the beginning to more careless mistakes by the end (I took a full length every day leading up to my MCAT, and was burnt out by the end). On the real thing, I think the increased pressure helped me focus better and eliminate my careless mistakes. Think about how you normally perform under pressure to get an idea of if you’ll do better, worse, or the same on the real thing.

Social Science. I was a bit light on science classes—I hadn’t taken physiology for example and it had been 4 years since I took gen chem back in high school. However, I think my major was still helpful to me because my professors and classes really emphasized analysis and reasoning, which I think is a very important foundation for the MCAT. You can fill in content gaps easily enough on your own if necessary, but it’s much harder to learn to reason without the help of professors/classes to guide you.

- I think most people go way overboard on content review. I’d recommend trying to get through an initial quick content review (maybe 2-3 weeks per subject max) as fast as you can, and then taking the self-assessment for that subject. I was surprised to find how little detail was expected for some topics, and likewise, found I needed to greatly brush up on some deficiencies on others. But brushing up after seeing weaknesses in the SA was much more time efficient I think, than just over-studying from the start. The MCAT does require background knowledge, but a large part of succeeding is being able to recognize the pattern of logic tested by the MCAT, and learning the type of reasoning they want you to apply. So don’t blindly spend 6 months on content review before trying any AAMC material

- Be sure to review the AAMC content outlines. No prep book is perfect often a couple points are missed from these outlines.

- If you can, try to take a bio class based on reading and analyzing papers. I took one like this, and it was really helpful learning how to analyze and draw conclusions from the types of experiments/concepts presented on the BS section.

- During your prereq classes, more than just getting a good grade, really focus on understanding the topics presented to you. This really really helped me in studying for the MCAT. There were a few topics that I hadn't learned well during my classes (like optics and waves in physics) that I had to spend quite a lot of time understanding during my review. But for other subjects like organic chemistry and molecular biology, I had devoted a lot of time to understanding it during the class so I was able to breeze through the review.

- Be true to your own study habits. For example, I like focusing on one topic at a time, so I did each subject in a block of 1-2 weeks, whereas others might prefer to rotate through subjects day by day. Just be sure to make review sheets of key facts for the subjects you study earlier if you do what I did. Also, start with your strongest subject just because getting started studying is hard enough as it is. Another example, I’m always a crammer. Most people say don’t study the day before the MCAT, but I actually re-read the entire EK bio that day, and even studied in the waiting room, waiting to go in and take my MCAT. This is just how I always study—the extra information didn’t really help me, but just the act of reading through familiar information right until my exam started steadied my brain. Do what works for you, and take all advice with a grain of salt.

-Be sure to incorporate practice questions during your content review. Start with discretes, and do some passages as well. People often say discretes aren't that helpful to practice, but I found it really helpful to hammer down the concepts.

- During MCAT exams (practice and the real thing), close your eyes and count for a couple seconds between each passage/each section to really clear your mind of any lingering questions from the last passage. This is really important especially in verbal to help you focus fully.

- Do very thorough post-game analysis. Really focus on understanding how the AAMC writes and structures its questions. What is the logic they want you to use to answer the question? What is the incorrect logic they use to come up with the wrong choices? What is the logic you used that led you to an incorrect answer? Why is that logic flawed? How can you correctly reason through a similar question in the future?

4-5 weeks.

Totally, I spent about 5 days on physiology, 5 days on the rest of bio, 5 days on physics, 5 days on gen chem, and 1 day on orgo. I started with an initial review of the subject, took the self-assessment, and then reviewed weak areas as necessary. I also completed the tprh verbal workbook during this time. Then, I took each of the AAMC practice tests, one test a day for 10 days, with one day off before my exam. It’s difficult to say how many hours—I just studied as much as needed to accomplish my goal for that day, so anywhere from 3-15 hours. I had nothing else going on, but I did not have a set structure for studying. I started whenever I woke up, and took breaks whenever I felt tired. I think I took a couple days off in the middle of my content review because I got really tired of studying, lol. Also, I wasn't as efficient with my time as I could be (for example, some days only studying 3 hours), but I think it's important to not push yourself too hard or you'll get really burnt out. Take breaks as you need them. Keep time aside to do other things you enjoy--I for example, played with my dog, watched movies, and read books. If you do nothing but study for several weeks, you'll go crazy!

WOWOWOW. This was super long. I really hope this proves useful to someone in the future—I got a lot of great advice from SDN posts, and am hoping to pass it on to others. Good luck!!
Thanks for the long detailed post, it's great advice!

Hi there-

1/26/13: 8/8/8 = 24, brain melt down occurred here, obviously should have voided. However in hind sight I definitely did not know the information in a way that's useful for the MCAT (aka, just knew definitions, not how to link the concepts.

7/26/3: 10/10/10 = 30. Ran out of time on PS, VS reasonable, BS was just really strange (lots of ochem, WEIRD abstract discrete questions).

Practice tests (in order)
AAMC 11: 10/10/10
TPR 4: 9/11/10
AAMC 10: 10/11/11
AAMC 9: 12/11/10

So my score really doesn't compare to most in this thread, in fact it barely makes the cut, but for those of you who are like me and are not super human I do have some tips- increasing 6 points in 6 months is something I'm proud of (so please don't jump on me if you're not impressed with my score!) considering I full time, am in school 2 nights a week, and am writing a paper so it's the best I could do.

The main things that helped me the second time around:

1) I did every BS passages and passages that focused my weaker concepts for PS in the TPR huge practice book. I kept a list of tricks and how concepts linked together.

2) I made a summary sheet of the way potential energy related to kinematics (ball in air), electromagnetics (charge approaching opposite charge), and fluids (Bernoullis etc) and repeated this idea for as many physics concepts as I could. Physics was my weak point.

3) I made a list of all the concepts in each section and then highlighted those that appeared in 2 or more. I made a flashcard (see below) with the main idea of each highlighted concept plus one for the tricks and facts to absolutely know.

4) I used study blue to make flash cards on the concepts I wasn't 100% sure on. I grouped chem and ochem together, then had separate sets for physics equations and bio concepts. I switched off what I reviewed each day and reviewed 1) in the morning on the bus to work 2) at lunch and 3) before bed. This helped immensely

5) After each practice test, I reviewed the test once on my own. I kept a notebook where I ID'd the main concept of the question and wrote down everything I knew about that concept. I then added the information I was supposed to have gleaned from the passage to the notebook, reviewed it a few times, and added these additional tricks and facts to know to my flashcards. ***MOST IMPORTANT: After my review: I sat down with a friend who got a 41 on his MCAT and went through every single question with him. This helped immensely- each time we ID'd what concept the passage was getting at (ie, fluids), then what the "trick/crux/rquation" of the passage was (ie Bernoullis eqn and knowing that Ptotal = Pgauge+Patm), and then ID'd why I got it wrong (the question asked for gauge pressure, not total pressure). Finally, we ID'd strategy for each- knowing which ones I could eliminate outright helped immensely with timing.

6) In the last 2 weeks before the test, I only reviewed the flashcards I missed each day.

7) The night before the test, I got a massage. The morning of I went for a run, and had a healthy breakfast.

tldr: To all you human MCAT takers out there (not you guys who studied everyday for 6 weeks and got a 40 or whatever) - and especially those who work full time- spend your time ID'ing the tricks, make flashcards, and get someone to review your tests with you. It's possible to do a lot better with limited time each night/weekend to study!

Hi there-

1/26/13: 8/8/8 = 24, brain melt down occurred here, obviously should have voided. However in hind sight I definitely did not know the information in a way that's useful for the MCAT (aka, just knew definitions, not how to link the concepts.

7/26/3: 10/10/10 = 30. Ran out of time on PS, VS reasonable, BS was just really strange (lots of ochem, WEIRD abstract discrete questions).

Practice tests (in order)
AAMC 11: 10/10/10
TPR 4: 9/11/10
AAMC 10: 10/11/11
AAMC 9: 12/11/10

So my score really doesn't compare to most in this thread, in fact it barely makes the cut, but for those of you who are like me and are not super human I do have some tips- increasing 6 points in 6 months is something I'm proud of (so please don't jump on me if you're not impressed with my score!) considering I full time, am in school 2 nights a week, and am writing a paper so it's the best I could do.

The main things that helped me the second time around:

1) I did every BS passages and passages that focused my weaker concepts for PS in the TPR huge practice book. I kept a list of tricks and how concepts linked together.

2) I made a summary sheet of the way potential energy related to kinematics (ball in air), electromagnetics (charge approaching opposite charge), and fluids (Bernoullis etc) and repeated this idea for as many physics concepts as I could. Physics was my weak point.

3) I made a list of all the concepts in each section and then highlighted those that appeared in 2 or more. I made a flashcard (see below) with the main idea of each highlighted concept plus one for the tricks and facts to absolutely know.

4) I used study blue to make flash cards on the concepts I wasn't 100% sure on. I grouped chem and ochem together, then had separate sets for physics equations and bio concepts. I switched off what I reviewed each day and reviewed 1) in the morning on the bus to work 2) at lunch and 3) before bed. This helped immensely

5) After each practice test, I reviewed the test once on my own. I kept a notebook where I ID'd the main concept of the question and wrote down everything I knew about that concept. I then added the information I was supposed to have gleaned from the passage to the notebook, reviewed it a few times, and added these additional tricks and facts to know to my flashcards. ***MOST IMPORTANT: After my review: I sat down with a friend who got a 41 on his MCAT and went through every single question with him. This helped immensely- each time we ID'd what concept the passage was getting at (ie, fluids), then what the "trick/crux/rquation" of the passage was (ie Bernoullis eqn and knowing that Ptotal = Pgauge+Patm), and then ID'd why I got it wrong (the question asked for gauge pressure, not total pressure). Finally, we ID'd strategy for each- knowing which ones I could eliminate outright helped immensely with timing.

6) In the last 2 weeks before the test, I only reviewed the flashcards I missed each day.

7) The night before the test, I got a massage. The morning of I went for a run, and had a healthy breakfast.

tldr: To all you human MCAT takers out there (not you guys who studied everyday for 6 weeks and got a 40 or whatever) - and especially those who work full time- spend your time ID'ing the tricks, make flashcards, and get someone to review your tests with you. It's possible to do a lot better with limited time each night/weekend to study!
Sorry, didn't follow the format. I used princeton review books for facts, and berkeley review books for concepts that were high yield/linked to other sections/ were weak for me. I studied from March to July for the second attempt, around 2-3 hours M-Th after work, and 6-7 hours on Sat or Sun, with a test on whatever day I wasn't studying. I reviewed the test about 4 hours after I took it, which was painful. I also used vacation time to take half days from work to take practice tests.

Finally, I only studied stengthen/weaken questions for verbal, since those are the ones I missed. Reviewing with my friend helped with the rest.

40 Composite (14 PS, 12 VR, 14 BS)

PS and BS: I attempted to complete SN2ed's routine this summer, but research was to large of a commitment and I was only able to get through the 1st round of "1/3 passages."

VR: I finished the first eleven tests of EK 101 Verbal using SN2ed's 'take 2' strategy.

Make sure you time yourself, especially for verbal. I started off doing each passage in eight minutes at best, and by the end of my studying, I was cranking out VR passages under six minutes, sometimes under five. It helps so much when you have 20 minutes at the end of VR to look over your answers.

TBR for all sciences, with EK Bio as a supplement. EK 101 was my own verbal resource.

All of the AAMCs.

My scores:
AAMC 3: 38 (13 PS, 12 VR, 13 BS)
AAMC 4: 35 (11 PS, 11 VR, 13 BS)
AAMC 5: 40 (13 PS, 14 VR, 13 BS)
AAMC 7: 39 (13 PS, 12 VR, 14 BS)
AAMC 8: 40 (13 PS, 13 VR, 14 BS)
AAMC 9: 37 (13 PS, 11 VR, 13 BS)
AAMC 10: 39 (14 PS, 11 VR, 14 BS)
AAMC 11: 40 (14 PS, 11 VR, 15 BS)

Biochemistry. I took the MCAT after my second year of undergrad, so I had intro biology, organic I and II, biochemistry I and II, and physics I and II under my belt before starting to study it.

Don't get discouraged, it's a lot of work. Falling behind schedule isn't the end of the world (I fell about sixty days behind schedule on SN2ed!), when it happens all that you can control is to get back on the horse and keep trucking along.

Also, no matter what, if you answered all the questions, DO NOT VOID YOUR EXAM! I was seriously close to voiding mine, everybody feels like they failed the MCAT. I'm sure glad that I didn't void it now :)

Roughly 2 months for about an hour a day in the beginning and three to four hours a day during the home stretch. I skipped a few (actually a lot) of days during the first month, and then realized I was only halfway through content review one month out of my exam, buckled down, and cranked out the second half of TBR books in about a week.

Realistically, if I could do it again, I would have been more disciplined and given myself enough time to study. SN2ed is no joke, people are not kidding when they say that you can't compress it into sixty days like I tried to do. I ended up coping for this by only doing the first set of "1/3 passages," I really would have felt a lot more confident on test day if I was able to get through the entire program.

One last thing, don't let your nerves get the best of you on test day. This isn't a one-shot deal (that's the USMLE :p), so there's no reason to be too stressed. You've worked your ass off to get to that day, the only thing that can hold you back during the exam is yourself. Good luck guys, as a wise man once said, we're all gonna make it!

40 Composite (14 PS, 12 VR, 14 BS)

PS and BS: I attempted to complete SN2ed's routine this summer, but research was to large of a commitment and I was only able to get through the 1st round of "1/3 passages."

VR: I finished the first eleven tests of EK 101 Verbal using SN2ed's 'take 2' strategy.

Make sure you time yourself, especially for verbal. I started off doing each passage in eight minutes at best, and by the end of my studying, I was cranking out VR passages under six minutes, sometimes under five. It helps so much when you have 20 minutes at the end of VR to look over your answers.

TBR for all sciences, with EK Bio as a supplement. EK 101 was my own verbal resource.

All of the AAMCs.

My scores:
AAMC 3: 38 (13 PS, 12 VR, 13 BS)
AAMC 4: 35 (11 PS, 11 VR, 13 BS)
AAMC 5: 40 (13 PS, 14 VR, 13 BS)
AAMC 7: 39 (13 PS, 12 VR, 14 BS)
AAMC 8: 40 (13 PS, 13 VR, 14 BS)
AAMC 9: 37 (13 PS, 11 VR, 13 BS)
AAMC 10: 39 (14 PS, 11 VR, 14 BS)
AAMC 11: 40 (14 PS, 11 VR, 15 BS)

Biochemistry. I took the MCAT after my second year of undergrad, so I had intro biology, organic I and II, biochemistry I and II, and physics I and II under my belt before starting to study it.

Don't get discouraged, it's a lot of work. Falling behind schedule isn't the end of the world (I fell about sixty days behind schedule on SN2ed!), when it happens all that you can control is to get back on the horse and keep trucking along.

Also, no matter what, if you answered all the questions, DO NOT VOID YOUR EXAM! I was seriously close to voiding mine, everybody feels like they failed the MCAT. I'm sure glad that I didn't void it now :)

Roughly 2 months for about an hour a day in the beginning and three to four hours a day during the home stretch. I skipped a few (actually a lot) of days during the first month, and then realized I was only halfway through content review one month out of my exam, buckled down, and cranked out the second half of TBR books in about a week.

Realistically, if I could do it again, I would have been more disciplined and given myself enough time to study. SN2ed is no joke, people are not kidding when they say that you can't compress it into sixty days like I tried to do. I ended up coping for this by only doing the first set of "1/3 passages," I really would have felt a lot more confident on test day if I was able to get through the entire program.

One last thing, don't let your nerves get the best of you on test day. This isn't a one-shot deal (that's the USMLE :p), so there's no reason to be too stressed. You've worked your ass off to get to that day, the only thing that can hold you back during the exam is yourself. Good luck guys, as a wise man once said, we're all gonna make it!

Dude nice job, I hope I can score a 40.

PS=12 VR=12 BS=15 Composite=39

PS - This was my weakest section began at 9 average. The first thing I did was go through Kaplan subject review. I would say it didn't help much. Then I went through Kaplans HYP (high yield problems) at the back of their subject books. This helped me substantially (brought me up to 11 average). Then I did all 1001 Q's in chem and physics. At this point II was averaging about a 12.5, very consistently. I think PS is the only section where they truly test your ability to retain and organize a bunch of knowledge.

Verbal - I believe i scored a 10 on this in my diagnostic, but also realized this is the hardest section to improve on. My main technique for this was to do all of the passages in kaplan and EK 1001. I really didn't end up even making a dent in EK 1001 though. I thought Kaplan was a horribly poor resource for this. Too many of the Q's give answers that are debatable, and I know that many feel this is how it is on the MCAT, but I felt the Kaplan questions were much more debatable. I only thought I had a case for 1 question being unfair in the many AAMC tests i took, but Kaplan had 4 or 5 per test. My score also did not raise much (10.5 average) after the kaplan book. What helped me the most with this was the actual AAMC practice tests. It seemed my average only improved after taking the practice tests. I only got through the first 30 passages in EK, but from what I saw it seemed much closer to the real thing. Based on AAMC scales I was averaging around a 12, so it may have been a better resource to use for early studying.

BS - I started with Kaplan here. No help at all for biology. I tried EK 1001 Bio. I was alarmed at the number of incorrect answers in that book. I think the practice tests got me from a 12 to a 13. I imagine part of the reason I received a 15 on the real deal was that I had many classes in undergraduate that dealt with biology, and the semester before i took the exam I had endocrinology which required me to read a lot of medical literature. So the exam passages seemed like cakework(bar 1) compared to the stuff I came across in that class. I took microbiology, endocrinology, biochemistry, physiology, genetics, cell-biology, neuroscience, and probably one or two others, so my biology background was more than adequate.

For Orgo, I did very well in undergraduate organic, so I did the 1001 Q's in orgo to freshen up. That seemed to do the trick, I never got too much wrong in organic in my practice tests, and presumably didn't get too much wrong on my real thing(though there were some tough orgo questions). I think the best thing you can do for organic chemistry on the MCAT is bust your a** all through undergraduate organic, and actually lay the foundation in your mind so you just don't forget it. A basic understanding of acids, bases, electron substitutions and additions, and relative electron affinities of compounds will go a long way.

I imagine getting a 15 was a bit lucky. My biology section was incredibly difficult, and I think that played to my advantage. I had received a few 14's in practice so it wasn't unreasonable to get the score I did, but to get a 15 I'd be lying if I didn't acknowledge a bit of luck is required.

Kaplan Subject books and Examkracker 1001 questions

I used a Kaplan practice test book (4 exams, 2 paper, 2 online). Its on amazon but I'm unsure of its popularity
Scores were 29(burnout after 5 weeks of intense studying), 35,40,41

Kaplan Diagnostic was a (9/10/12), 31

AAMC 3 (10/11/13)
AAMC 7 (11/11/12)
AAMC 9 (12/13/14) 39
AAMC 10 (13/11/13) 37
AAMC 11 (12/11/14) 37

Biological Sciences. I minored in philosophy, which certainly helped me score a 12 on the verbal. The biology major is super useful for the BS section, HOWEVER this is only if you actually take difficult and challenging biology classes and strive to be the best in the class. For non bio majors I would recommend taking genetics and microbiology because they seem to require reasoning that is similar to the type of reasoning you'll be using for this section.

I think this point is made often, but really push in your undergraduate classes. They will prep you for the test. I'm really glad I did, because that was definitely a deciding factor in my score.

Also, keep your exercise regimen going during the MCAT. I stopped mine and had a bit of depression to deal with as a consequence, and also put on 10 pounds from stress and being couped up all day(which I've almost lost, finally:laugh:). I started running again about 2 weeks before the MCAT and it got me from a 34/35 range up to 37-41. I don't believe that was a coincidence.

3 months, with 2, 1 week breaks. 4-6 hours 4 days a week, 2 hours the other 3 days of the week. I don't necessarily recommend that, as when I got to the last 2 weeks i was just concerned about maintainence of my score. Also, know yourself, and know what you can handle. Don't push yourself over your limits, I scored my only sub 30 test when I pushed myself too hard.

Reactions: 1 user
Individual scores and composite:

PS 13, VR 10, BS 13

How I studied for each section:

Verbal:
Initially, I assumed verbal would be a cakewalk; I didn't study at length for verbal until like a month before the exam, which I do not recommend. First I used Kaplan's method, and it was absolutely awful (I got like 8's on pretty much every practice VR section). I then tried ExamKrackers' method and got significantly better results (consistent 10's). For the last month or so before the exam, I got "ExamKrackers 101 Passages in Verbal Reasoning" and did a ton of sections from that. The week before the exam, I was doing one VR section from it every day.

PS and BS:
These sections were what I worked at the most. I got the complete ExamKrackers review package, so during the two full summers I had to study for the MCAT, I read a chapter from each of two of the subject books everyday. During the school year, I tried to read one chapter a day when I could. This was a part that really required dedication. Most of the time, free time meant MCAT study time during my last year of college in particular. However, you could probably get away with only studying this much during the last few months before the exam.

Materials Used:
I got ExamKrackers' set of books about two years before my exam, and used them pretty extensively. They're great books; the review of the sciences is adequately thorough and pretty much always easy to follow. In particular I was impressed with how effective their VR strategy was. Two months before my exam, I started a Kaplan review course; the class itself was good, but the textbooks simply weren't as good as EK's. What's more, as I said before, Kaplan's VR strategy is awful, and should not be used over EK's.

FL AAMC MCATs:
I took like five or six of these, but I wish I had taken more. These are honestly one of the best MCAT study aides out there in my opinion. You get a feel for the test, start to see how the real thing may be written, and it builds up your mental stamina like you wouldn't believe. Anyway, the month before my exam, I was taking at least one of these a week.

FL AAMC Scores:
I only remember three of my scores:
AAMC 4 - 33 (13-11-9)
AAMC 5 - 32 (11-10-11)
AAMC 7 - 31 (11-9-11)

Undergrad Major:
Forensic biology and pre-med biology double major with a minor in chemistry.

Time Spent Studying:
I started studying casually in August of 2011 when the Fall semester began. This entailed reading a chapter of my MCAT books "whenever I had the time." By the following summer, I was reading two chapters a day and doing a ton of practice questions. August 2012 throughout the following two semesters, I read at least one chapter a day as long as I didn't have any school exams to study for. May 2013 through two days before the exam (30th of June 2013) I took a Kaplan review course and supplemented it with some extra VR practice using the EK strategy. I honestly can't estimate the number of hours, but it's been a lot.

Tips:
Give yourself breaks. It's okay to say, "Dammit, I'm so done with this." throw your pencil across the room (assuming no one's in there with you) and goof off for a little. If you're frustrated, whatever you're trying to study is not going to stick well. Just breathe deeply and tell yourself it was just one practice problem, or just one practice test, or just one topic that you're not quite grasping. So long as you've given yourself ample time to study and have good willpower, you will get at least a moderate grasp on all of the concepts likely to be on the MCAT.

That being said, don't let yourself get lazy. It's tough to start a study habit, but it's very easy to quit and never jump back in. All it takes is a couple of days of slacking to knock you out of your routine. Be sure to study everyday at least a little bit whenever that is reasonable to do (i.e. when you don't have other exams, commitments to attend to, etc.).

Also, use this website. It has a new PS or BS question everyday; they've been doing this for a few years, so their archive has tons of really good MCAT questions on just about every science topic you're likely to see.

Best of luck, guys. A little willpower goes a long way!

Very late but I signed in for the first time after getting my score and saw that I had a few PMs asking for advice. My score isn't as great as the shining 40s on here. However I consider myself to be an average (and somewhat lazy) student, so maybe I can give hope to some of you who want a 30+ without killing yourselves :p. Here it goes:

PS: 11
Verbal: 12
Bio: 10
Total: 33

PS&BS: Content review for 1.5 month, lot of practice tests
VR: Nothing but reading on my own

BS: Examkrackers, TPR
PS: Examkrackers, Kaplan
Verbal: n/a

All AAMC tests, Kaplan 1+3, some TPRs my friend let me use (don't remember which ones)
For general info, scored exactly my AAMC average

Biology and Mathematics minor

Uh for verbal, read articles all the time. Look for articles on topics you HATE reading, and read them. Read articles way longer than MCAT articles. I hated art history stuff, so I purposely found art history articles (sometimes stuff from Google books, etc) and forced myself to read. In my opinion, skipping the reading or skimming it is stupid.

Physical and biological, I think that the MCAT isn't so black and white anymore and you'll see that over the course of your AAMC tests. As you get to the more recent ones, it's less and less straight forward questions, and more questions that require you to use several different pieces of knowledge. I think it's important to know details for sure, but I think the importance of understanding the big picture is underemphasized.

Also, if you're cramming physics formulas the morning of your exam, you're doing it wrong. Do practice problems until they come naturally! I also didn't memorize any weird ass equations. I did the main ones (Bernoullis, etc) but none of the insane things (Bohr's H atom formulas? Hell no).

Total of about 2 months due to some stuff with the family (relaxing trip to costa rica ;) )... also a couple weekends completely off

Good luck to all of you

edit: Came back just to say this... I totally agree with the above poster about breaks. TAKE THEM! Studying for the MCAT is not the same thing as studying for your A&P exam... don't cram it. You're not going to do well on an AAMC if you're half asleep and hungry. And then you'll hate yourself when your score on that prac test sucks.

In general, there's nothing wrong with going out and stuff, but try to stay on a set schedule. Monday through Friday,try to wake up, start studying, and stop studying at about the same time. Other people say they need 8 hours a day of studying. You might need less. Just stick to it.

Last edited:
Really happy that I get to write this post. I wrote a M.Sc thesis and took an Organic Chem 1 class while studying for the MCAT. Diligence and perseverance is the key to success.

PS=14 VR=11 BS=10 Composite=35

PS&BS: Content review as per SN2ed guideline (did not do any examkracker practice Q); Chad's video for organic, few topics in physics, and few topics in physical chem
VR: Did ~20 passages from TPR hyperlearning only to get pissed off at the exam prep material. I read a lot of peer-reviewed journal articles in psychology, philosophy, education, cell biology, and neuroscience, though.

materials highlighted in SN2ed minus examkracker

AAMC 3-5, 7-11.

Psychology w/ Statistics minor

Read peer-reviewed articles in education and philosophy will really boost your verbal skills. As you can see from above, I didn't really prepare for VR. As for the sciences, use the learning method that suits you (i.e. watch videos if you're visual and listen to examkracker audio osmosis if you could absorb info through listening). I personally hate flash cards and think they're useless. On the other hand, I apply all the knowledge I learned from preparing the MCAT to real life (i.e. bore your friends with "useless" facts about the biological system whenever you see a chance)

95 days (SN2ed 3 months schedule), averaging ~4.5 hrs/day.

This thread is massive.. but I'll add to it anyway, just in case this info happens to help whoever comes across it someday.

PS 13, VR 11, BS 12. Composite: 36.

I did content review in blocks for each subject (physics, chem, bio, orgo, in that order) following each subject with the quizzes that come with Kaplan's review notes. After about four weeks I switched to doing Kaplan's score of tests for each subject, still in the same order of blocks, while starting full-lengths-- I think I did FLs for six or seven weeks before my test day, spreading them out so I'd usually have three each week, but as few as one or as many as four.

3) What materials you used for each section (Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc.)
PS: Kaplan, a smattering of other random materials (e.g. Khan Academy for chem, class notes for physics, some EK).
VR: EK 101 Verbal, plus articles from The Atlantic and The Economist that I'd pick out to read, and literature on the side so that I'd remember what it was like to read for fun. Not analytically, just for the story. Maybe this wasn't a good idea but it kept me sane while I was studying so.. no regrets.
BS: Kaplan, and on occasion, Google.

Mcat-review.org is a good resource for when you're going over the AAMC content outlines at the end of your studying, just to refresh your memory on topics. Although I had access to the Kaplan online course I only did two of their lectures and a handful of workshops, using their review notes on my own instead. If I hadn't been able to get a course for almost nothing then I'd have gotten TBR because Kaplan classes are mad expensive.. Still, the sheer volume of their online resources (subject tests, topical tests, quizzes, all the AAMC FLs and self-assessment tests, etc.) is second to none and thus probably makes it worth it, as long as you utilize everything.

All of the AAMC and Kaplan full-lengths.

Neuroscience

Get into the habit of reading critically early, as it's the kind of thing that gets much better with practice. Take breaks-- not just every couple of hours when you're studying, but even entire days if you need to relax. It's been said before, but focus less on content review and more on practice (especially taking the time to review and understand the questions you get wrong). Keep yourself eating healthy, sleeping well, and exercising-- you'll feel better, you'll study better, and you'll end up doing better.

11 weeks!

PS:15, VR:13, BS:12. Composite: 40.

Spent about 2 months total, taking off every Saturday (and occasionally extra days for weekend trips or to avoid burnout.)

Content Review: First I did a practice exam to gauge my strengths. I used a modified, less insane SN2. First thing I did was general content review (reading 1-2 chapters a day) with BR passages on the side, and a verbal passage or two every day. Never timed these. Spent more time on Bio/Orgo, since I was good at PS and hadn't taken these classes in over a year. Did a practice exam after to gauge my effectiveness.

Then once I finished this, I started doing a passage/quickreview schedule, where each day I'd skim through 2 chapters in a BR (or EK for Bio) review book (for like half an hour total, mainly looking at equations/reactions/memorizable stuff), and do 1/3 of the practice passages for each. I did this on Tues/Wednesday/Friday/Sunday, for about 2 hours a day. Did a Verbal passage or two if I wasn't feeling burnt out. On Mondays/Thursdays I did a practice exam. Saturdays were break day like always.

I finished this BR skimming with about a week and a half or so to go, so I did some final review days with MCAT-Review.org for a quick overview, and took AAMC 10 & 11. Didn't do much for the 3-4 days before the test other than take AAMC 11 three days before, and then chill out.

PS: Only BR, for both GenChem and Physics.
BS: EK for Bio, BR for Orgo, with the occasional BR Bio passage (I was super lazy about this)
VR: EK101 and TPRH.

MCAT-Review.org for general stuff.

All AAMC's. I took a Kaplan test or two, but I thought they were terrible and much different than AAMC's (I got an 11 on PS for Kaplan, but 13+ even when taking AAMC's cold), so I stopped that and stuck with AAMC's.

AAMC:
3: 13/10/9 - 32 (before I started studying)
4: 14/10/13 - 37
5: 13/12/13 - 38
6: 13/12/12 - 37
7: 14/13/11 - 38
8: 14/13/12 - 39
9: 14/12/14 - 40 - (very flukey bio imo)
10: 14/11/13 - 38
11: 15/12/13 - 40

Economics and Finance.

-Don't do things that stress you out or feel different from AAMC Practice tests. Avoid burning out, just do consistent work of a decent period of time and trust yourself.

-Verbal is a total crapshoot, and once you're in double digits its basically luck. Don't kill yourself trying to "solve" a verbal strategy - I did two super verbal heavy days trying to come up with a logic that worked consistently and my practice test scores actually decreased. Lol.

-Trust your strengths. If you're killing one section, then turn your attention to the others. I should've ignored PS for the last month of study and done more Bio.

A little over 2 months, about 2-3 hours a day taking Saturdays off. Days I did practice tests I obviously spent longer.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me. I think I'd be able to give good advice for people who want to find an effective way to study that isn't the SDN-typical "8-hours a day, every day, for 4 months", because some of the people here are crazy. It's insane to try and focus that hard for that long and it probably isn't healthy.

14 PS / 13 VR / 15 BS -- 42 overall

My thoughts immediately post-test can be found here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=14365139&postcount=997

Overall: I followed the SN2ed schedule, modified by adding 1/3 of the corresponding problems from the TPRH Science Workbook to each assigned 1/3 of TBR problems. This made the workload significantly higher, and it was easy to fall behind. In the end, I actually only completed the final 1/3 for about half of the TBR chapters, and in some of the latter chapters, only completed the first 1/3.

I used Anki, a free flashcard program, to make virtual flashcards. I ended prep with over 1300 cards. I made a card for every equation or group of related equations, and for each concept or group of details. In this regard you have to gauge how it will be most effective for you to construct your cards. I even coded my own equation images in LaTeX because it allowed me to look at and review equations in the exact format I wanted, and during the process of creating the images, reinforced the equations themselves in my mind.

I have never been one to use flashcards, physical or virtual, but the amount of detail I aimed to retain at the ready for the MCAT greatly outweighed that for any other test I had every prepared for. Recognizing that, I dove in with Anki from the beginning, and don't regret it in the least.

PS: I used TBR for content review, completing passages and problems from TBR and the TPRH Science Workbook. It can be ascertained, however, by referencing the AAMC Content Outlines, that TBR's content is not complete, so I supplemented by using various online resources (listed under part 3, materials).

VR: I actually started out alternating days' passages between EK 101 and the TPRH Verbal Workbook, while doing a passage or two from TBR Verbal every day. The inevitable creep of the immense workload of the SN2ed schedule came upon me, and I dropped TBR Verbal pretty quick. I ended up giving up on EK 101 Verbal as well, due to dissatisfaction and frustration with that book in particular. Once I began doing the AAMC FL's, it wasn't long before I gave up on verbal practice altogether. I no longer felt I had anything to gain from practicing verbal passages. On AAMC passages, when I missed problems due to oversight of details or question stem nuances, there was no clear way I could see to work to prevent this. It just felt like unavoidable margin of error in my performance. Often, when I missed questions on AAMC verbal material, I disagreed with the question answers. Don't get me wrong here, I missed a good number of VR question on the AAMC FL's that I downright deserved to miss, but at the same time there are a number I would still challenge today. I didn't see how practicing more non-AAMC verbal passages could help me improve, so I stopped.

BS: I began using EK Bio for content review, and TBR Bio and the TPRH Science Workbook for passages. I even did some passages from EK 1001 Bio in the beginning, but gave up quick as I didn't feel it was useful (and I found an error pretty early on, so my confidence in the quality started out low). About halfway through content review, after finding numerous errors in EK Bio (unlisted in EK's online errata), I gave up on the book entirely. I didn't like TBR Bio's presentation of content (it's unbearable), so since I was already into organ systems material at this point in prep, I switched over to a trusted anatomy and physiology textbook. That's right, I did content review out of a 1000+ page text. I didn't find any difficulty in reading appropriate material with the trusty AAMC BS Content Outline beside me. Really glad I made that decision. Around that time I stopped doing the EK Bio 30-minute Exams as well.

3) What materials you used for each section (Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc.)

Here's is my full materials review:

AAMC

Overall: It may seem a bit strange for me to review materials released from the publisher of the exam itself, but there are some comments I would like to make. I went into test prep without any expectation of perfection from prep companies. I did not make that concession for the AAMC, a massive organization of sufficient means to produce near-perfect quality materials. I was subsequently extremely disappointed to find numerous errors (in question stems, answer choices, and answer key explanations) and shortcomings (unnecessary and unacceptable ambiguities, for example) in the AAMC materials, both in the Practice Tests (FL's) and Self-Assessments. My apologies in advance to future test takers who expect reliable materials as I did; you will surely be disappointed. For those curious, yes, this experience did reduce my confidence in the reliability of the actual exam.

THE BERKELEY REVIEW

Overall: TBR sweeps the floor with their competition for a number of reasons. The sheer volume of extremely high-quality practice passages included in TBR's books would take the cake itself, but with a presentation of material that, depending on the chapter, ranges from adequate to superb, on top of Test Tips provided throughout the material that are virtually invaluable for problem-solving in an MCAT-style setting, I have to give a strong vote for TBR.

Physics (2013): There are several errors in the content text itself, but these are few and far between. More common are errors in the answer keys for the passages. I found the Fluids and Solids chapter in particular to be an inadequate presentation of the material for my own mastery, but as a major caveat to that judgment I had never been exposed to the material in a course. As a review of material one has previously learned, I cannot judge the chapter, but if you are in the position I was, I would be prepared to supplement with something else (I used HyperPhysics). The passages in TBR Physics are the really big draw here, in my opinion.

- Bottom line: Would highly recommend.

General Chemistry (2010): TBR's finest, in my opinion. TBR Gen Chem will force you to really learn this stuff, and as someone who had TA'd general chemistry for two years prior to studying for the MCAT I still found these books to be excellent and enlightening. The Equilibrium chapter, as many know, can be an absolute killer, but like all of these chapters, it's the exact way you want to prepare: for the worst. There is at least one (presumed) error in the in-text example problems, and several errors in content text, and I'm sure there exist some throughout the passage answer keys as in the Physics books. Bear in mind these errors may be fixed in more recent editions.

Organic Chemistry (2010): Though the latest Organic books have been updated and removed a good deal of material, I cannot speak to them. I know common sentiment is that these editions of TBR's Organic are overkill, and though a great deal of information is presented that probably isn't required, I found familiarity with everything presented in these books to be excellent prep for the test. Once again, excellent passages, some errors in the passage answer keys (though remember this is an outdated edition)

Biology (2013): The infamous TBR Bio books deserve their reputation. Passages are a mixed bag; some are really good, and excellent practice, while some are utterly ridiculous and there seems to be little reason to believe the MCAT has ever or would ever resemble such. Overall, you're probably better off using the TPRH Science Workbook for bio practice passages. The content is often equally poor; The chapters on Metabolic Components and Metabolic Pathways are near useless and incomprehensible. Whoever wrote these books needs a lesson in formatting, because speckling every other word in a sentence with different formatting doesn't help any reader gain a sense of what's important. All it does is make reading a paragraph a visual and comprehensive nightmare. Overall I don't find the presentation of material in these books to be superior to other sources, and the practice passages are beat out by TPRH SW. That said, if you want to be prepared with lots of bio practice passages, the number of passages in the TBR Bio books is significant and not a bad value for the price, especially if you can get them used.

- Bottom line: Optional.

EXAMKRACKERS

Biology (2007): Though often hailed as the perfect, concise presentation of MCAT biology material, I'm going to go against the grain here on EK Bio. I found at least a dozen errors in EK Bio not listed on the laughably-sparse errata forums on EK's website. The book makes some arrogant judgments on what is and isn't going to appear on the test, and I disagree with that attitude. The 30-minute exams provided for each chapter aren't special enough compared to TPRH SW passages to merit purchase for them alone, and I don't think the content in this book is up to par for the test taker who wants the best possible prep, for the best possible mastery, for the best possible score. It's just not there, sorry Orsay.

- Bottom line: Would not recommend.

101 Verbal Passages (2008): Jon Orsay may have gotten a 15 on VR, and his brother (the author) may be the genius Jon makes him out to be in the book's preface, but this book is not reflective of either. 101 passages is certainly a sturdy chunk of practice material, but the passages' texts themselves are not where the books falls short; it's the questions. The book has the same problem TBR Bio does, but to a lesser degree; some of the passages and their associated questions are really good practice, but some are just horrid. A number of passage questions and their associated answer key explanations absolutely exemplify the inherent weakness of the MCAT VR section, which is that when you base the evaluation of answers for a reasoning examination on something other than rigorous logical proof, you get valid disagreement between perspectives on the same passage-question pair. A number of answer key explanations are just jokes. The TPRH Verbal Workbook is better overall, and I would only go for EK 101 if you really expect to need maximal practice on verbal. In that case I would try to ignore the really crappy passages/questions.

1001 Physics (2003): A good set of problems. These are almost all calculation-style discretes, and many of them are quite challenging and/or present otherwise simple computational instances in interesting or unusual ways.

1001 Chemistry (2003): Also good. Similar in format to the 1001 Physics problems. I recall in particular a problem in the early chapters regarding a seemingly-simple concept that I was not familiar with from either my chemistry courses or TBR. Just an example of how these are useful practice.

1001 Organic (200?): Questions are often simpler than the 1001 Physics/Chemistry problems, but some are good practice. Many errors throughout, so that's frustrating, but not useless. Not up to par with the two previously listed books.

THE PRINCETON REVIEW

Hyperlearning Science Workbook (2009): An incredible source of practice material. Nearly a thousand pages, containing hundreds of passages and discretes, with adequate explanation in answer keys. Though this book is only available secondhand, and as such price can drive up quite high, I would say it's "worth it" as a source of practice material. It's the best source of biology passages I've seen, beating out both TBR and EK. Physics and chemistry problems can be challenging as well. There are enough discretes (hundreds) in the book that I would consider this a sufficient replacement for the EK 1001 series. A final interesting note, there is a particular passage that appeared in both my TPRH SW and my TBR Bio books, nearly identical in both passage and questions. I wonder how that happened?

Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook (2008): The best source of verbal practice outside of AAMC material. Question and answer explanation quality trumps EK.

TPR Biology Review (latest edition): I had a chance to look through a copy of this for about a half hour recently. I would confidently recommend this as a the best all-around bio content review I've seen. Some notes I made in my examination of the book:

Pros - Covers the following notably well: Bacterial Life Cycle (not covered in TBR or EK), Sensory Perception (some topics outright absent in TBR), Embryogenesis (beats TBR and beats EK/Kaplan by far), Muscular System (beats everything else), Connective Tissue, Genetics, Vertebrate Classes, Fungi, Oxygen Utilization and Tolerance.
The book contains a Glossary!

Cons - Molecular Biology is very (possibly overly) detailed, like TBR, but better presented. Their info on the use of flashcards is well-meaning but extreme; read with skepticism. Ignore their information on passage mapping and question types. Page 2 describes the MCAT as "the most confidence-shattering, most demoralizing, longest, most brutal entrance exam for any graduate program." Ignore this crap, all it does is make for a defeatist attitude.

I did not work through any of the included practice passages, but in my opinion the book is work $35 new just for the content review. You'd pay $30 for EK Bio, and $70 for TBR Bio. Combining TPR Bio and the TPRH SW gets you bio content review and practice passages, plus passages and discretes for all other science topics. Best route in my opinion.

- Bottom line: Would recommend.

KAPLAN

Biology Review Notes (2010): This book definitely contains some useful nuggets that you won't find in EK or in other materials I've come by, but is far from perfect. Errors abound, both in the text itself and various figures, despite how pretty they may look (as a result of the handiwork of the Scientific American staff employed in collaboration to make the book). No passages, just discrete-style problems at the end of each chapter and a "high-yield problem-solving guide" at the end of the book with short sample passages and commentary but no actual passages w/problems to practice.

PS / BS Section Tests (2004): I only used one of the seven (each for BS and PS) section tests I had available, but for both instances I found the tests pleasantly challenging and of sufficient quality. I recall finding one error, but proportionally this would not stand out to me in comparison to other prep companies' materials.

- Bottom line: Would recommend.

WIKIPREMED

Website: Many of the websites Wetzel has linked in the pages of Wikipremed (all free to access!) are hidden gems of the internet. Beyond the understanding and clarity I gained from sources found through Wikipremed, however, I think one of the most underrated parts of Wetzel's brainchild is his commentary on the content pages. Wetzel considers himself one of the few true experts on the MCAT, and I have to say I'd give him that. His insight can be extremely helpful in preparing an MCAT mindset, and I would not pass up the chance to read what he has to say. Though I can agree with some who find the video lectures too slow of pace, I think much can be gained from their selective utilization and the magic of the video time slider.

Physics Flashcards: These are incredible. John Wetzel will lead you through a spiral of physics topics and, through creative problems and clear explanations and commentary, show you how to view physics from every angle. Easily the most revolutionary material I used throughout my prep. I have very few issues with these cards (I don't much like Wetzel's treatment of entropy, but that's both advanced and complicated, and should not present an issue for anyone at the level of the MCAT), and though they aren't perfect, there are fewer errors given the amount of material in these cards than in any other prep material I've used from other companies. As a bonus, when you order the physical card set, you get equation master cards dividing each section of material which condense relevant equations for you. Of course, the entire flashcard set is also available free online. Personally, I really enjoyed having physical cards to go through, and found nothing lacking in the physical quality of the materials.

OTHER SUPPLEMENTAL

HyperPhysics: Excellent quality material. I used this site heavily for content review (or in some cases, first time learning) of various physics topics, such as diffraction and thermodynamics.

Khan Academy: Also excellent quality material. Enable HTML 5 on YouTube and watch videos at 1.5X or 2X speed for greater efficiency. I used Khan Academy for clarity in learning thermodynamics.

CrashCourse: High production value from the Brothers Green (Hank will be the one presenting MCAT-relevant material), and for the most part high quality material. Helpful for deepening conceptual understanding of some topics. Keep YouTube's Annotations feature enabled while watching, as some errors are corrected in pop-up annotations. Material is unfortunately imperfect, however, a good example being the massive glaring (uncorrected) error in the Endocrine System video (if you can't spot it, you're not done with biology content review!).

MCAT-Review.org: A nice annotated run through the AAMC topics outlines. Useful for starting points in researching specific (often obscure) testable topics.

TL;DR - No prep material is perfect, not even from the test makers. Make it work.

WHAT TO USE:

TBR Physics, Gen Chem, Organic
TPR Biology
TPRH Verbal Workbook and Science Workbook
Wikipremed Physics Flashcards

OPTIONAL:

TBR Bio (for passages only)
EK 1001 Physics / Gen Chem

WHAT TO AVOID:

EK / Kaplan Bio
TBR Bio (for content)
EK 101 Verbal

SPECIAL NOTES

Embryogenesis: I was not particularly satisfied with the treatment of this material in any of the listed prep books. EK Bio provides no visual illustration of the lowly half page treatment of the topic, Kaplan Bio contains errors and/or misleading illustration of the topic, and TBR Bio is excessively verbose and less-than-ideally accessible in the presentation. *Edit*: I approve of TPR Bio for embryogenesis.*

Biology Content: I began reading from a trusted anatomy and physiology textbook about halfway through content review (I used Saladin, which I would highly recommend if asked), basically giving up on prep books. I did not find it difficult to determine what information was relevant and worth reading by simply consulting the BS Topics Outline.

TPR Bio: On the above note, I will attempt to review a copy of TPR Bio when I can. It is my hope that it will exceed the others in quality. I have added my review of TPR bio into this post, copying from my post further down the thread.

I purchased all available AAMC full-length (FL) practice exams, as well as the AAMC Self-Assessment Package (includes Physics, Gen Chem, Biology, Organic, and Verbal Self-Assessments).

AAMC 3: 15 PS / 13 VR / 14 BS -- 42
AAMC 4: 14 PS / 13 VR / 15 BS -- 42
AAMC 5: 13 PS / 12 VR / 15 BS -- 40
AAMC 7: 14 PS / 13 VR / 14 BS -- 41
AAMC 8: 14 PS / 10 VR / 15 BS -- 39
AAMC 9: 14 PS / 13 VR / 14 BS -- 41
AAMC 10: 14 PS / 12 VR / 15 BS -- 41
AAMC 11: 14 PS / 11 VR / 15 BS -- 40

Range: 39 - 42
Median: 14 PS / 12-13 VR / 15 BS
Mean: 14 PS / 12.1 VR / 14.6 BS

As you can see, my actual MCAT score fell right on my median, and as far as scores go, AAMC 3 and 4 were the most predictive, contrary to popular opinion on SDN. A note about that though, at this score range, scaled scores are so sensitive that deeming any particular AAMC FL as more predictive based on score alone is somewhat dubious.

Psychology.

Upon beginning my studying, I had just finished a year of calculus-based physics, and had taken specific courses in physiology and genetics. In addition, I had two years of TA'ing gen chem drill sessions under my belt, so while I still learned a lot and gained a much deeper understanding of many concepts during content review, I had a solid gen chem foundation to build on.

If anything, what I would have others take away from this is that any advisor that gives you an ultimatum a la "you must major in _____ to excel on the ____ section of the MCAT" is wrong.

The MCAT is hard. It is a difficult exam in that it requires quick thinking, performance under stress, and readily-accessible knowledge of a great number of topics. That said…...

I see a lot of people building this test up in their heads, personifying it as a scary monster. Before I ever took an AAMC FL I knew this was a bad perspective. It's just a test. Before I ever had a reliable prediction of how I could score, I recognized that it's not some "beast" you're being thrown into the ring with. It's not an enemy, it's not out to get you, it's a bunch of questions on a screen, and you are in control. Every move you make is your own, and if you go into prep recognizing that, it might help prevent the feelings of helplessness that many of us encounter at some point while we attempt to master testable material, excel on practice tests, or achieve whatever other MCAT-related goal.

Regarding practice tests, I strongly endorse maximal simulation of test-day conditions during all practice exams. I ate the exact same breakfast, around the same time on every FL day. I was fortunate enough to have access to a corporate computer lab for taking my practice tests. The day I went in to take AAMC 3, I had never seen the format of the CBT, never seen the computer lab, never used the computers there, etc. I went in with a pair of the earplugs I would be bringing to the exam and a pair of headphones (which I wore unplugged to simulate the ear covers I knew Prometric would provide). I walked into the computer lab with the same experiential naiveté that I would end up having at Prometric (having never been there before). I felt the same nervousness. My score ended up being the same composite I got on AAMC 3 (and even the same breakdown as AAMC 4). Every time I took an FL there, I used a different computer in a different part of the room. Simulate it as much as possible; no phone use during the breaks, no food you wouldn't bring with you, no talking to anyone (I actually got interrupted once by an unknowing employee telling me she was leaving, whoops), you get the deal. In fact, I simulated distractors without meaning to, because more than once while I was taking an FL some workmen were drilling into the door frames; earplugs are a godsend.

On that note, I used Howard Leight Max earplugs (individually wrapped pairs, since you need them as such to take them into the testing room), found cheap on Amazon.

I am not kindly disposed toward the verbal section. I think the premise behind it (testing critical thinking skills, integration of new information and making predictions, etc.) is valid, but the execution is unacceptably poor. The frequency of flawed questions is such that I do not believe there to be a single person on the planet that can consistently score 15 on real MCAT verbal. What I mean by flawed can be understood by the thoughts found in the following links (currently in my signature, but posted here for posterity): Thoughts -- More Thoughts
Overall, I think enough VR questions are valid that one should be able to score double digits by sufficient critical thinking and dexterity with language alone, but beyond that, I think scores become somewhat unreliable measures.

~100 days, so a little over three months, from May to mid-August. Study times ranged roughly from 5-12 hours per day, with most standard days at about 6 hours of studying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 34 users
Wow, I've been looking forward to reading this. Awesome write-up. Could you go more in depth about how you used anki, ie how often and what your max new cards per day, max reviews per day were etc?

Thanks, and no problem. I tried to use Anki everyday and complete the day's due cards. Anki uses spaced repetition, where upon completion of a card during a review, you assign a confidence rating to the card reflecting your comfort with the information. The different ratings are labeled with different time intervals after which the card will be up for review again.

As I accumulated cards, daily reviews were typically over 100 cards total, which would probably take an hour. I attempted full catch-up sessions several times; I believe one day I reviewed over 400 cards. That is, of course, exhausting, and I would not recommend it. To be really clear, when I did the cards, I would look at the card when it came up, read the card title (e.g. Antibody Functions) and then speak out loud the content of the card as completely as I could from memory. My voice actually did get somewhat hoarse occasionally. However, for me at least, I felt that I was more strictly testing my knowledge if I forced myself to recite the information vocally rather than look at a card, think "oh I know this," and move on (which I did do occasionally, but tried not to).

I left the default settings on for 20 new cards per deck per day max, and 100 review cards per deck per day max (I had a deck each for bio, organic, physics, chem, and math; I need to add in a bit about the math deck to my main post, I will later). By the time I took the MCAT, I had been chronically behind on my biology cards for weeks. I probably had 250 due the day before my test. I tried to focus less on getting everything done at that point and more on continuing to work diligently and being productive.

PS=11 VR=13 BS=14 Composite=38

2) What materials you used for each section (Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Makes more sense to me to answer this first. I was lucky enough to have a Kaplan on-site course provided to me, so I mostly stuck with Kaplan's materials. After about three sessions I felt like the on-site class was a waste of my time, so I stopped going to it. I also didn't find the online lectures to be a productive use of my time. So all of my content review and practice was through the books and the online problems. I used EK bio and BR physics/orgo/gen chem books as needed. Though Kaplan's online resources are plentiful and the books were decent, I personally don't think it's worth the ~$2k price tag. But if money's no issue for you, go for it.

Edit: Just noticed the contrast between GTLO's assessment of Kaplan and mine. I had the brand new 2012 version of the books. There were a few errors, but none that were drastic and unnoticeable. They might have fixed a lot of errors since the previous version. I didn't notice the lack of passage-based questions in the books since I did those via the online component, but now that's a glaring flaw. The books definitely go hand-in-hand with the online resources, so I wouldn't get them alone unless you like Kaplan's review style and want to use some other source of practice problems.

3) The study method used for each section
PS: Read everything in the Kaplan review book while taking notes that I could refer back to later. Handwriting things rather than just looking at/highlighting them also helps me memorize. I made flashcards with a subject on one side and all the formulas related to that subject on the other side (ex. AC/DC circuit equations). I did all of the end-of-chapter practice questions and most of the topical tests. Because I dropped my physics 2 class about halfway through the semester (professor was atrocious), I had to learn electricity, magnetism, circuits, and optics for the first time. I also hadn't taken gen chem in about 3 years. Towards the end of my study, I stopped doing the topical tests because they took me forever to finish and the passage-based questions felt more difficult than they needed to be. I used the Q Bank in order to do more discrete questions in the topics I was weakest in. I referred to Berkeley Review when I needed clarification of a physics/gen chem concept or just Googled it. I definitely could've done more practice in this section and brought my PS score up a bit, but since physics especially has always been a weak point for me, I figured I hit my plateau. I also didn't give myself enough time to do the Kaplan subject tests and the AAMC self-assessments.

BS: Similar deal to PS. Read pretty much everything in the Kaplan review books while taking notes. Pretty much all of the physiology and development stuff was new for me (loop of Henle wut), so I had to put more focus onto those. Most of my flashcards for this section were ones that I had saved after finishing orgo over a year ago. I had a card for just about every reaction and stuff like common names and NMR/IR shifts. My biology cards were of processes like oogenesis and embryonic development. Did all of the end-of-chapter practice questions and eventually stopped doing the topical tests since I felt pretty solid in this section. I looked at EK Bio to see what info Kaplan might have skipped over. I also looked at my old orgo textbook (Loudon 5th edition. It's dope.) and BR when I needed some orgo clarification. My test was at least 50% orgo, so take it just as seriously.

About a week and a half before my test, I tried to go through all of my flashcards every night before going to bed.

VR: No help I can really give here. My only verbal practice was when I did the full lengths. I've always done well on the reading/verbal portions of standardized tests, and luckily that trend continued with the MCAT. I think those skills also helped me a lot in BS since the passages are a lot more comprehension-based now. The best preparation for this section really starts before you even know what an MCAT is. I don't read much these days, but I did a ton up until high school. One thing that everyone can work on is how quickly you read the passages. My reading time shortened with each full length. On the real deal I finished the section with around 10 minutes left. That gave me a good bit of time to dwell on those ambiguous questions.

Kaplan Diagnostic: 6/11/9=26
7/31 AAMC #3 (before finishing review): 8/13/14= 35

The remaining full lengths I squeezed into the 10 days before my test, which was on 8/22. I had originally planned to have at least one day between each, but procrastination or responsibilities got in the way. I definitely wouldn't recommend this, even though it probably helped my stamina. I was lucky to not burn out by doing them back to back. I made sure to give myself two free days before the real deal so that my brain could have a break. But even during those days I reviewed my notes and looked at my flashcards right before sleep. After each AAMC I wrote down the explanations for the PS and BS questions that I got wrong (if it wasn't because of a stupid mistake) either the same day or the next.

8/12 AAMC #4: 10/12/12= 34
8/13 AAMC #5: 11/12/13= 36
8/14 AAMC #7: 10/12/13= 35
8/16 AAMC #8: 11/13/11= 35
8/17 AAMC #9: 10/11/13= 34
8/18 AAMC #10: 10/11/11= 32 (still not sure what happened here)
8/19 AAMC #11: 10/13/14= 37
AAMC Average: 34.75 (10/12/13)

Also, when I did these full lengths I didn't use my extra time to go back and check my answers, especially in BS. The only one that I used all my time on was #11. I also had to deal with distractions pretty much every time. So yeah, not exactly test-like conditions. Those factors probably have most to do with the discrepancy between my average and my actual score.

Molecular/Cellular biology. This was the summer after my sophomore year, so I hadn't taken any upper-level bio classes yet besides biochemistry if that counts.

If you build a good foundation for yourself while taking your pre-reqs, studying for the test will come a lot easier. Aim for understanding, not just good grades. I had strong bio/orgo foundation, a shaky physics foundation, and an ok gen chem foundation. My section scores reflect that. It's also nice being able to skip pages in your review book because you already know the concept like the back of your hand. Take study breaks, and allow yourself to have fun. A lot of days I ended up just watching Netflix or going into the city when I had planned to study, but it worked out in the end. Finally, try to have a relaxed attitude towards the test. I was super uptight during the first 7 full lengths, but for AAMC 11 I chilled out, stop worrying about distractions, etc. and got my highest score. I adopted the same attitude on test day to the best of my ability. But that relaxed attitude totally evaporated while I waited for my scores lol.

10 weeks for an average of maybe 15-20 hours a week. I worked full-time in a lab for the first 8 weeks, so most of my study time was concentrated on the weekends. It was definitely stressful. I spent my two free weeks doing the full lengths and light review.

Hope this helps at least one person out there. I definitely spent some time in this thread while studying. Best of luck!

Last edited:

Composite: 39-43 (I'll reveal it after my app cycle). I'd have to say that a good portion of it was based on luck.

PS&BS: TBR and EK only. TBR is amazing!
VR: Read books and did a lot of TPR and EK practice

See above

AAMC tests

Average: 40.5
Range: 39-43

Biomedical Engineering + Liberal Arts stuff

There's a lot of good advise on this thread by many posters who are infinitely more articulate than me. Read all of it!

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

4 months - "8-12" hours day of which at least 2-3 were spent perfecting my strafe-firing skills with the pistol on Halo PC. It's important to have quality study breaks so that you don't get bored and burned out.

Last edited:
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 36 (14/10/12)

Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 32

Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs):

Studied about a solid 7 weeks, while rehabbing from a broken (dominant) arm as well as waist deep in graduate research.

I barely did much content review at all. Focused mainly on doing tons of passages, everything under timed conditions. Rather than one thorough session of content review, I just dove right into doing passages, noted where the deficiency in my understanding was, noted it, put in a flash card, and moved on to next passage. Over time, all the holes int he knowledge were filled in.

At first timed every single question, and then checked answer for each passage. Gradually I increased the number of passages in each interval to 3, and finally up to 6 passage in one timed session before checking the answers.

I first skimmed through TBR for first pass of content review, and did about 1/3 of all question. But I really hated TBR. I don't think they do a good job of explaining the material in a logical way, and was not impressed at all with their question. Not sure what all the fuss about TBR is around here. If I could go back, I would not touch the TBR garbage.

But then I got my hands TPR PS, VR, and BS workbooks. That changed everything. The Hyperlearning books are outstanding. I did every single passage in those books.

And of course, I did every single AAMC practice material I could get my hands on at the very end, in this order: The official AAMC guide, the Self-assessment package, and the CBT tests 3-11.

AAMC and Other FL Averages: Hmmm, didn't calculate but it fluctuated between 34 and 39, so you could say my actual was right on average. My actual VR was low in comparison. In practice tests, I always got between 11 and 13.

Comments/Feelings/Tips: Stop following this X method and that Y method some random person has posted on these forums, regardless of what high score they claim that achieved. The chances are that if they got a 40+, you can bet good money if they retook the test their score can easily drop 3-4 points, and who knows what their average would be. This is shown right in AAMC's own statistics. Those with a 35+ score retaking the exam are actually very likely to reduce their score in the next try.

So while a high-scoring forum member might think their masterfully crafted schedule and study method was responsible for their 40, the truth is that they confusing correlation with causation. Following other people's study schedule and super customized plans is like an athlete following another athlete's training plan thinking this is THE way to be better. Any half-wit coach would tell you that is wrong thinking.

The point is each individual has their strengths and weakness, priorities in life, and special set of circumstances. The best MCAT method is the one you develop yourself, and the one you commit to consistently, based on the following main principles:

1. A mastery of every topic AAMC has officially listed at the level of a first-year university course. No less, no more. If you are studying ortho-para directing condition for benzene for orgo because some idiotic prep book is telling you it might be on the MCAT, you are wasting your ****ing time. Read the official list and trust what AAMC tells you instead of some prep company.

2. TIMING! Time everything. Learning to pace yourself will pay off more dividends than anything else. Some test taker with a super mastery of the material but without a keen sense of the exam's pacing will do worse on the MCAT than a test taker who has mastered the timing and rhythm of the test, even if he is shaky on the topics. Why? Because the latter will know when to skip and just guess on the question, while the former will waste the precious minutes trying to solve a hard question at the expense of all the easy ones that follow, and so ends up scrambling for time.

3. DO. EVERY. SINGLE. AAMC. PASSAGE. ON. THE. PLANET.
Get the official guide to the MCAT. It has AAMC questions in there. Get the Self-Assessment package. Get every single CBT test. I am always shocked when I hear someone forked out $2000 to a prep-company, but didn't bother doing the AAMC SA package or all of the CBT tests. It makes no sense whatsoever. Whatever any prep company has made is a simulation of what the MCAT is; occasionally their passages gets close to the real thing, but those moments are rare. Only the AAMC material are reflective of actual MCAT questions.

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 36 (14/10/12)

Comments/Feelings/Tips: Stop following this X method and that Y method some random person has posted on these forums, regardless of what high score they claim that achieved. .

The best MCAT method is the one you develop yourself, and the one you commit to consistently, based on the following main principles:

1. A mastery of every topic AAMC has officially listed at the level of a first-year university course. No less, no more. If you are studying ortho-para directing condition for benzene for orgo because some idiotic prep book is telling you it might be on the MCAT, you are wasting your ****ing time. Read the official list and trust what AAMC tells you instead of some prep company.

2. TIMING! Time everything. Learning to pace yourself will pay off more dividends than anything else. Some test taker with a super mastery of the material but without a keen sense of the exam's pacing will do worse on the MCAT than a test taker who has mastered the timing and rhythm of the test, even if he is shaky on the topics. Why? Because the latter will know when to skip and just guess on the question, while the former will waste the precious minutes trying to solve a hard question at the expense of all the easy ones that follow, and so ends up scrambling for time.

3. DO. EVERY. SINGLE. AAMC. PASSAGE. ON. THE. PLANET.
Get the official guide to the MCAT. It has AAMC questions in there. Get the Self-Assessment package. Get every single CBT test. I am always shocked when I hear someone forked out $2000 to a prep-company, but didn't bother doing the AAMC SA package or all of the CBT tests. It makes no sense whatsoever. Whatever any prep company has made is a simulation of what the MCAT is; occasionally their passages gets close to the real thing, but those moments are rare. Only the AAMC material are reflective of actual MCAT questions.

This is awesome.

Thank you so much for your comments. This is the best post I've read on here in a very long time. It's inspiring to hear someone say I can succeed using my own methods and not what Kaplan, or any other prep company or any method on SDN says. Congrats on your score. I'm taking it in january and I'm excited to focus on those three things you mentioned. Thanks again.

Sorry for not posting a score on here! Hope no one is bothered by it.

This is awesome.

Thank you so much for your comments. This is the best post I've read on here in a very long time. It's inspiring to hear someone say I can succeed using my own methods and not what Kaplan, or any other prep company or any method on SDN says. Congrats on your score. I'm taking it in january and I'm excited to focus on those three things you mentioned. Thanks again.

Sorry for not posting a score on here! Hope no one is bothered by it.

Glad you found it useful. Common sense is really our strongest ally in tackling the MCAT.

During my short flirt with MCAT, I read tons of advice and opinion, and at the end, the most helpful and logical advice was from AAMC itself in their Official Guide to the MCAT book, which no one talks about as they are too busy analyzing TBR versus TPR, etc.

Of course, the prep books are certainly very helpful as well, because of their abundance of subject-specific practice passages, but no one in their right mind should have the illusion of what the MCAT is like unless they have done at least half the official practice tests. They are also a very powerful predictor of actual test performance. It is also an urban myth that the actual test is harder than the practice tests. That is irrational, given that everything scaled on the same curve.

Best of luck to you for January!

PS=14 VR=10 BS=14 Composite=38

For the PS section, I just did and redid twice practice problems from TBR under timed conditions.
As for BS, I also did and redid twice the practice problems from TBR under timed conditions. However, whenever I missed a BS problems, I would also write a reflection on the problem. In this reflection, I wrote the question, the wrong answer I put, the correct answer, and why I put the wrong answer and why the correct answer was right.
Finally, for VR, I did and redid twice TPRHL problems. I wrote a reflection for each wrong answer. It was the same as the BS section reflection, except I'd also write down one of the Kaplan verbal pathologies the mistake fell into. I also wrote 40 minute deconstructionalism essays (ala AP Eng lit).

TBR is without a doubt the best review book series to use.
TPRHL is also pretty good.

Two Kaplan tests and all the AAMC tests

Biochemistry

Perfect practice makes perfect

4 months, 6 hours a day everyday.
It became pointless after two months, and by the end of four months, I had begun taking tests just to amuse myself.

8) Other
I took a $2100 Kaplan class and it was okaay. Do not worship your prep class, but do sacrifice unto it one small lamb on Sundays.
The Kaplan science sections are very good. While verbal reasoning was by far my worst section, the Kaplan verbal reasoning did not seem very good to me. It was as if they wrote the tests to fit their study method.
As for where you can find such review books like the TBR science set or that one TPRHL VR workbook online, I have been told SDN forums is not the best place for that. I hear that if you find the right coastal inlets, there are some swashbuckling privateers who can conveniently share their academic contraband with you. I personally do not understand what I had been told, and cannot advise the reader any further on this matter.

PS=13 VR=9 BS=11 Composite=33

2) The study method used for each section:
My first thoughts. I was extremely lost with studying at first. I was disenchanted with MCAT and I had no idea how to approach it. I was doing terrible on the little practice I was doing on the first month of "studying". I wasn't really studying. Just going through your material lightly and not practicing for the test is not "studying". Just wanted to get that out. Now...

PS: I found TBR and TPRH SW to be extremely helpful here. I would review concepts and formulas over and over again until I was sure I got all of them on my head. As a general schedule, I would first memorize and understand a particular topic like optics first before doing practice passages. I would have a notebook with me to record what answers I chose for each passage and reflect on BOTH the rights and wrongs. I would make sure I have all of my formulae embedded on my head and understand how I applied my concepts to the passages. Let me say this. PS was my weakest science section at the start.

VR: My weakest section,but I just did lots of practice passages. Don't know what happened during the test, but my practice AAMCs were constantly either 10 or 11. I used EK101 and TRPH's Verbal Workbook for practice. Nevertheless, I found my reading skills improving because of MCAT, so I thank them for that.

BS: Repeat PS with BS. Only difference being that I wished I read some scientific journals' results section and asked critical questions about it. That would have really helped.

TBR, TPRH were great. EK was ok. Just don't use their orgo sources. I also did as many AAMCs as I could since they were very accurate indicators of your progress.

All the AAMC tests except no. 3 since I heard it was the easiest

Biology Honours with minors in Chemistry and Music.

Practice makes good, but please use your time wisely. Whether you studied for 3 months or 6 months, none of it will matter if you don't study properly. Don't get easily distracted and make sure you remain dedicated to whatever schedule you have. You can still get above 30 even if you studied for 3 months provided you spend 5+ hours a day on MCAT (and I mean ALL of it)

3 months, 5 hours a day everyday.

8) Other
In all honesty, I decided to study on my own. If you're dedicated and disciplined, you can do just that. Otherwise, I suggest the MCAT courses, even if they cost a fortune. Don't get those KAPLAN practice test books. They're too easy. If you want real practice, TBR has awesome practice passages and reviewing AAMC tests until you feel bored of them is another good way to go.

Finally can post in this section!!!
This was a retake.
8/15/2013 29: 12/6/11
9/11/2013 33: 13/8/12

2) The study method used for each section:
PS: Berkeley Chapters but for some reason didnt finish the practice questions. Probably this will be my regret or I could have score higher but Im satisfied. I also checked out Chad's and I highly highly recommend him. If I am going to medical school today, it's because of Chad! I also had the science workbook for Princeton and ICC but the passages were tough and not indicative.

VR: My weakest! I did everything possible! The first time around, stupidly, I didnt do TPR verbal but only EK verbal. Second time, did TPR, was scoring 10s on practice and ended up with an 8. smh. still dont have any explanation.

BS: EK/ Human Physiology textbook, science workbook (highly recommend). Also, look over High -Yield in Kaplan. I really like their High yield topics and their explanations. Also did Berkely for some of the chapters.

TBR for reading lessons in P/C
Bio- EK/Textbook
Ochem- EK (read it thrice)
Verbal- Self assessment/tpr/ek/ ICC Princeton

AAMC- Avg: 11/9/11- 31 (first time around, it was the same)
Kaplan section tests

Pre-med Biology

Practice. Use a variety of resources. Practice. Change method of studying if stagnating. Be smart about the way you study. Look up videos on youtube if something seems like youre just memorizing without understanding. I did look up videos on circulation of blood/fluids chapter and the like on Khans academy and other resources.

Totaling the time for the first take, the whole summer.

Last edited:
Read my advice at the bottom if you're planning on using the SN2 study schedule, and especially if you're a non-trad. Sorry if this post is very long, but I think there is some really useful advice here. Not to toot my own horn, but I worked as a psychologist for several years, and naturally tend to analyze the **** out of things.

1) PS 11, VR 12, BS 13 36

2/3) Followed SN2 study schedule using BR/EK books, but with a few tweaks (see below):

4) Took AAMC 3-11 and averaged a 37.

5) Biopsychology, B.S.

6) See below

7) 3 months, following the SN2 schedule, but didn't give myself any buffer days, just put my head to grindstone and did it.

- I bought but ended up discarding the EK 1001 books. It seemed to me like they were all trick questions, which made me change my thinking and actually do worse on practice passages from BR/AAMC. On the real MCAT, there are very few, if any trick questions. EK 1001 makes you approach the questions expecting them to be tricky, when real MCAT questions are conceptually very straightforward (once you sift through the absurdly complicated language, of course).
- I didn't wait until the day after to review practice problems. This took waaaay too long for me to do the first few times and I didn't feel like I was gaining enough extra knowledge from it. I just reviewed right after while the problems were fresh in my head.
- Something that I didn't start doing until way too late, but that would have reaaaally helped me from the beginning: Have a notebook for each subject (Physics, Gen chem, Ochem, Bio). When reading the BR chapters, take notes by hand of things you don't already know. Leave a few blank pages at the end for each chapter. Then, when doing the practice problems (don't do them in these notebooks), when you get a problem wrong (or guess and get it right), write down the piece of info you needed to get it right in the notebook for that subject, in the corresponding chapter. This way, you will have an easy to access, very organized collection of all the knowledge that you need for the MCAT but didn't naturally obtain from your previous studies. Review this, or even rewrite it during SN2 review days, and you don't have to read through the whole chapter again like SN2 wants you to do.
- One huge fault with BR books for me: the Physics book seemed severely lacking in practice passages. I don't know if the PR or Kaplan book has more, but research it, and if it does, buy it instead. Even the content review in BR Physics seemed weak to me.
- BR Verbal questions are stupidly hard (and waaaay harder than actual MCAT questions). Save yourself the headache and just use EK and TPR Hyperlearning.
- Keep track of your % scores on each chapter's practice passages. Then when you are in your last few weeks of studying, you can easily look back and see which sections need more studying.
- On test day, bring a jacket. I took mine in Southern California at the end of August, and since it was 100 degrees out I didn't bring one. Big mistake. The testing room was literally a freezer (I'm guessing air conditioned to about 60 degrees - no exaggeration). So be prepared.
- I didn't do SN2's hat trick method at all. Seemed like there were much better ways to spend my study time.
- Random tid-bit learned from my psychology background: It has been proven that people learn best by writing things by hand, much better than reading or typing. Write and rewrite and rewrite your notes, and you will permanently etch them into your brain.
- Might be ironic to say, but use the SDN MCAT study question Q&A forum. I didn't start doing this until too late. When you're confused about something, don't google it, go to the Q&A forum and search. You'll find a much more direct answer to what you need. And if not, ask.

Extra encouragement for non-trads:

I had been out of school for 2 years, and even then, got horrendous grades in my science pre-req courses. But the SN2 schedule still helped me get a 36 (and I honestly feel like I could have gotten a 37-39, but various test day factors which I won't get into right now hurt me a bit). So don't get discouraged even if you have zero background knowledge of the MCAT material. It can be really intimidating at first, when you haven't gotten use to the style of MCAT passages. Particularly the biology section for me was terrifying. Until I got used to sifting through all the heavily-worded bull**** in the passages and questions, I had resigned myself to life as a janitor. But stick with it, and pretty soon you'll realize that at the root of every stupidly complex question is a basic concept that is being tested, and half the time can be found in the passage itself if you look close enough.

And lastly, don't be afraid to change your study habits/schedule as you go along. Most of the changes I mentioned above I should have made a lot sooner, but I was too stubborn and wanted to stick to the method I already had worked out. You have to learn what works best for you, and don't be afraid to instantly abandon or adopt strategies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
After three exams over a the past year, I can finally put the MCAT behind and it feels amazing. I have a pretty unique MCAT history and I hope someone benefits from seeing my mistakes.

1) August 10 2012: 21-7/6/8
2) August 2 2013: 30-9/13/8
3) September 11 2013: 38-12/14/12

First MCAT
My preparation for this exam should be a model for what not to do! My first mistake while preparing was lack of research. I have always been a good standardized test taker and foolishly thought I could squeeze by without spending too much time studying. To make matters worse I put no effort into researching what other students experienced with the MCAT, such as is offered in this amazing website. I purchased the EK books in which I briefly reviewed the content over a period of a month and change. I was given the Princeton verbal workbook as well and added practice passages here and there during my review. I cannot describe my studying as anything but review because I learned scarcely anything except a handful of formulas and general concepts that provided almost no benefit during the test. While doing the verbal passages I made a mistake that I believe many people make which is simply practicing passages with no effort spent on improving strategy. My approach was simply to practice x amount of passages so that I would be
"familiar" with verbal when I took the test. Foolish. I reviewed very little for Bio because I am a bio major and have a pretty solid background in the information. Looking back I am surprised I even made a 21 on this test.

Second MCAT
After having a year to reflect on my stupidity, I signed up again and came back with a vengeance. This time I bought the Princeton and Berkeley books for PS and BS as well as the TPR verbal workbook and the EK 101 verbal. I didn't take a class or follow a particular schedule. I began every day with 2-3 verbal passages(refer to below for verbal strategy) followed by anywhere from 5-10 hours of intense studying(75/25%-ps/bs). I kept this up for roughly two months until two weeks before my exam when I began doing practice tests. I made two mistakes during my studies this time that I believe could have saved me a third retake had I avoided them. My first mistake was not enough practice. Although I had a solid conceptual understanding of the majority of topics, I did not spend enough time applying them to problems. True mastery of a subject comes through repeated application and you can really only learn so much from reading a chapter. I believe that I could have saved quite a bit of time had I spent more time doing problems and practice passages than reading and making notecards on concepts like I did. My second mistake was inadequate rest. The MCAT takes peak mental performance and ruining your mental stamina to study an extra three hours or on a rest day is simply not worth it. Two weeks before the exam, I began doing the gold standard full length exams every other day followed by the aamc's every other day the week before my exam. Between each practice test day, I spent the entire day carefully reviewing my exams and touching up on areas where I tended to have trouble. Something that I learned while taking practice tests and that not many people seem to bring up on sdn is the importance of mastering MCAT math. In physical sciences, mental math can make or break a score. I found the gold standard tests to be highly valuable in strengthening my math skills and give them significant credit for helping me to raise my score in PS. My practice scores drifted around 28-33 but I was significantly inconsistent in PS and BS. The majority of my errors came from timing issues and word traps rather than content deficiencies. Oddly, my verbal was strong and steadily at 12-13 despite struggling to keep PS and BS in the double digits. Going into the MCAT I knew I was not as prepared as I could have been and this is something that everyone should avoid! Unless you are totally prepared and confident it is not worth having to do this whole process over again! The morning of the test I had the misfortune of sleeping through two alarm clocks and missing my pre-test jog which impacted my confidence and mental clarity significantly. I barely made it to the test center in time and felt half asleep throughout the test. I was so mentally drained that I had to guess almost two passages in bio! I felt awful leaving the test center and knew I did not meet my potential. After waiting a few days, I decided to sign up for the 9/11 exam.

Third MCAT
From a week after my 8/2 MCAT until the day before the exam, all I did was practice and I did quite a bit! I went through the majority of the giant TPR hyperlearning book, a large chunk of EK 1001 chem and physics, the entire EK 101 verbal book, and all the remaining gold standard and aamc exams. Additionally, I spent a small amount of time each day practicing MCAT math and ensuring that I could quickly and effectively solve these problems. During this time my practice tests were consistently in the mid-upper 30's and I even hit a 40 on one of the easier FL's. I was careful never to over-study and spent a considerable amount of time exercising which I believe is crucial to an effective MCAT study plan. I took the 2 PM exam and made sure that I was in perfect condition to walk in there and kill it which involved an intense bike ride/jog prior to, a nutritional breakfast and test snack, a small redbull to down before bio(scarred from the last time), my favorite jeans, and a little live Jim Gaffigan stand up in the car on the way. The little things matter when it comes to test day and ensuring you feel as great as possible is a great idea. When I sat down to take the exam I felt relaxed and confident and walked out feeling much better than the last time.

Summary
Don't underestimate this test but also don't underestimate yourself. Forget the negative things you hear anyone say and adopt a firm belief that you can master it because with the right amount of work you can. Shortcuts don't work and are not worth it! I know people that are far more intelligent than I am that could not break 25 on their MCAT because they wanted too much bang for their buck. The MCAT is really not so different from any test you take as an undergraduate student in the sense that if you learn the material fully and proactively you will do well. The difference is that the MCAT takes an exponentially greater amount of work and the work is not always as simple as memorizing a formula. You have to understand the concepts, master the application, familiarize yourself with timing/language/context, and most importantly you have to study yourself. I don't believe that some people are simply intrinsically good test takers. Test taking a skill that can be learned! Don't mistake a bad approach for inadequate tools. Analyze yourself and constantly ask yourself why you are making mistakes and what you can do to fix them. The best strategies come from experimentation and analysis. Keep a journal of things you miss, why you miss them, and how you could avoid making those mistakes. Read it everyday before getting back at it and make an effort to progress. I would suggest making a schedule to follow because it is extremely easy to mismanage time and neglect certain subjects. Lastly, there is a crucial difference between quality and quantity of study time with this test. Eight hours of studying can be a huge waste if you are not retaining information or concentrating on your work. Exercise and a clean diet can go a long way while studying for this test! The brain and the body are intricately connected and need each other to maximize output. Don't make the mistake of thinking you can neglect your body and expect your brain to run properly.

Verbal
Now for verbal.. I tried a few different tactics at the beginning of my studying but none of them really seemed to work. I realized I needed to figure out exactly why I was going wrong and fix it. I started doing 2-3 timed passages a day followed by a very careful review of why I got things incorrect. I kept a verbal journal where I would write down what I got wrong, why, and what I needed to change to fix it. I would read this journal everyday before doing more passages and slowly started to develop a method. My theory on verbal is that most people have trouble with it simply because undergraduate classes(with bio majors especially) cause students to make habit of reading for detail and memorization which is exactly opposite of what an MCAT reader needs. It has been said over and over but improving on verbal really requires you to understand what the author is saying. This doesn't mean creating personal opinions on why the author is writing the paper but actively looking for that one sentence in each paragraph where the author clearly states a personal opinion. Test makers can only produce questions based on details or the author because anything else is subjective. You have to go to the source! I like to make an outline of each essay by writing once sentence per paragraph outlining only what the author stated about his/her personal opinion. Once I started doing this the essays would make far more sense, the passages organized themselves in a way that allowed me to remember details more easily, and made elimination far easier. Reading the passage well is critical because you really cant afford to go back to the passage while answering questions. It never pays to rush through a passage and have to go back. When you answer the questions, read the question carefully and make sure you understand exactly what the question is asking for. Always go for elimination before choosing an answer. Two choices are usually easy to eliminate and with enough practice, the third elimination usually boils down to using the author's logic rather than yours. This is something that takes time and proactive practice. Breaking reading habits is a process and under the time constraints of the test, you want to get rid of those bad reading habits as much as possible so that your technique is second nature on the MCAT. It took me a good month before my verbal scores were steadily in the double digits but once I repeated the process enough I could do it in my sleep. Take advantage of verbal because it is the one part where you don't have to memorize a thing!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
After three exams over a the past year, I can finally put the MCAT behind and it feels amazing. I have a pretty unique MCAT history and I hope someone benefits from seeing my mistakes.

1) August 10 2012: 21-7/6/8
2) August 2 2013: 30-9/13/8
3) September 11 2013: 38-12/14/12

First MCAT
My preparation for this exam should be a model for what not to do! My first mistake while preparing was lack of research. I have always been a good standardized test taker and foolishly thought I could squeeze by without spending too much time studying. To make matters worse I put no effort into researching what other students experienced with the MCAT, such as is offered in this amazing website. I purchased the EK books in which I briefly reviewed the content over a period of a month and change. I was given the Princeton verbal workbook as well and added practice passages here and there during my review. I cannot describe my studying as anything but review because I learned scarcely anything except a handful of formulas and general concepts that provided almost no benefit during the test. While doing the verbal passages I made a mistake that I believe many people make which is simply practicing passages with no effort spent on improving strategy. My approach was simply to practice x amount of passages so that I would be
"familiar" with verbal when I took the test. Foolish. I reviewed very little for Bio because I am a bio major and have a pretty solid background in the information. Looking back I am surprised I even made a 21 on this test.

Second MCAT
After having a year to reflect on my stupidity, I signed up again and came back with a vengeance. This time I bought the Princeton and Berkeley books for PS and BS as well as the TPR verbal workbook and the EK 101 verbal. I didn't take a class or follow a particular schedule. I began every day with 2-3 verbal passages(refer to below for verbal strategy) followed by anywhere from 5-10 hours of intense studying(75/25%-ps/bs). I kept this up for roughly two months until two weeks before my exam when I began doing practice tests. I made two mistakes during my studies this time that I believe could have saved me a third retake had I avoided them. My first mistake was not enough practice. Although I had a solid conceptual understanding of the majority of topics, I did not spend enough time applying them to problems. True mastery of a subject comes through repeated application and you can really only learn so much from reading a chapter. I believe that I could have saved quite a bit of time had I spent more time doing problems and practice passages than reading and making notecards on concepts like I did. My second mistake was inadequate rest. The MCAT takes peak mental performance and ruining your mental stamina to study an extra three hours or on a rest day is simply not worth it. Two weeks before the exam, I began doing the gold standard full length exams every other day followed by the aamc's every other day the week before my exam. Between each practice test day, I spent the entire day carefully reviewing my exams and touching up on areas where I tended to have trouble. Something that I learned while taking practice tests and that not many people seem to bring up on sdn is the importance of mastering MCAT math. In physical sciences, mental math can make or break a score. I found the gold standard tests to be highly valuable in strengthening my math skills and give them significant credit for helping me to raise my score in PS. My practice scores drifted around 28-33 but I was significantly inconsistent in PS and BS. The majority of my errors came from timing issues and word traps rather than content deficiencies. Oddly, my verbal was strong and steadily at 12-13 despite struggling to keep PS and BS in the double digits. Going into the MCAT I knew I was not as prepared as I could have been and this is something that everyone should avoid! Unless you are totally prepared and confident it is not worth having to do this whole process over again! The morning of the test I had the misfortune of sleeping through two alarm clocks and missing my pre-test jog which impacted my confidence and mental clarity significantly. I barely made it to the test center in time and felt half asleep throughout the test. I was so mentally drained that I had to guess almost two passages in bio! I felt awful leaving the test center and knew I did not meet my potential. After waiting a few days, I decided to sign up for the 9/11 exam.

Third MCAT
From a week after my 8/2 MCAT until the day before the exam, all I did was practice and I did quite a bit! I went through the majority of the giant TPR hyperlearning book, a large chunk of EK 1001 chem and physics, the entire EK 101 verbal book, and all the remaining gold standard and aamc exams. Additionally, I spent a small amount of time each day practicing MCAT math and ensuring that I could quickly and effectively solve these problems. During this time my practice tests were consistently in the mid-upper 30's and I even hit a 40 on one of the easier FL's. I was careful never to over-study and spent a considerable amount of time exercising which I believe is crucial to an effective MCAT study plan. I took the 2 PM exam and made sure that I was in perfect condition to walk in there and kill it which involved an intense bike ride/jog prior to, a nutritional breakfast and test snack, a small redbull to down before bio(scarred from the last time), my favorite jeans, and a little live Jim Gaffigan stand up in the car on the way. The little things matter when it comes to test day and ensuring you feel as great as possible is a great idea. When I sat down to take the exam I felt relaxed and confident and walked out feeling much better than the last time.

Summary
Don't underestimate this test but also don't underestimate yourself. Forget the negative things you hear anyone say and adopt a firm belief that you can master it because with the right amount of work you can. Shortcuts don't work and are not worth it! I know people that are far more intelligent than I am that could not break 25 on their MCAT because they wanted too much bang for their buck. The MCAT is really not so different from any test you take as an undergraduate student in the sense that if you learn the material fully and proactively you will do well. The difference is that the MCAT takes an exponentially greater amount of work and the work is not always as simple as memorizing a formula. You have to understand the concepts, master the application, familiarize yourself with timing/language/context, and most importantly you have to study yourself. I don't believe that some people are simply intrinsically good test takers. Test taking a skill that can be learned! Don't mistake a bad approach for inadequate tools. Analyze yourself and constantly ask yourself why you are making mistakes and what you can do to fix them. The best strategies come from experimentation and analysis. Keep a journal of things you miss, why you miss them, and how you could avoid making those mistakes. Read it everyday before getting back at it and make an effort to progress. I would suggest making a schedule to follow because it is extremely easy to mismanage time and neglect certain subjects. Lastly, there is a crucial difference between quality and quantity of study time with this test. Eight hours of studying can be a huge waste if you are not retaining information or concentrating on your work. Exercise and a clean diet can go a long way while studying for this test! The brain and the body are intricately connected and need each other to maximize output. Don't make the mistake of thinking you can neglect your body and expect your brain to run properly.

Verbal
Now for verbal.. I tried a few different tactics at the beginning of my studying but none of them really seemed to work. I realized I needed to figure out exactly why I was going wrong and fix it. I started doing 2-3 timed passages a day followed by a very careful review of why I got things incorrect. I kept a verbal journal where I would write down what I got wrong, why, and what I needed to change to fix it. I would read this journal everyday before doing more passages and slowly started to develop a method. My theory on verbal is that most people have trouble with it simply because undergraduate classes(with bio majors especially) cause students to make habit of reading for detail and memorization which is exactly opposite of what an MCAT reader needs. It has been said over and over but improving on verbal really requires you to understand what the author is saying. This doesn't mean creating personal opinions on why the author is writing the paper but actively looking for that one sentence in each paragraph where the author clearly states a personal opinion. Test makers can only produce questions based on details or the author because anything else is subjective. You have to go to the source! I like to make an outline of each essay by writing once sentence per paragraph outlining only what the author stated about his/her personal opinion. Once I started doing this the essays would make far more sense, the passages organized themselves in a way that allowed me to remember details more easily, and made elimination far easier. Reading the passage well is critical because you really cant afford to go back to the passage while answering questions. It never pays to rush through a passage and have to go back. When you answer the questions, read the question carefully and make sure you understand exactly what the question is asking for. Always go for elimination before choosing an answer. Two choices are usually easy to eliminate and with enough practice, the third elimination usually boils down to using the author's logic rather than yours. This is something that takes time and proactive practice. Breaking reading habits is a process and under the time constraints of the test, you want to get rid of those bad reading habits as much as possible so that your technique is second nature on the MCAT. It took me a good month before my verbal scores were steadily in the double digits but once I repeated the process enough I could do it in my sleep. Take advantage of verbal because it is the one part where you don't have to memorize a thing!

Wow, what an amazing turn around and great detailed, inspiring post. Congratulations!

40 – 13 PS, 12 VR, 15 BS

2) FL AAMC MCATs:

3: 11 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS (30 - diagnostic)
4: 13 PS, 12 VR, 10 BS (35)
5: 11 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS (32)
7: 12 PS, 12 VR, 13 BS (37)
8: 13 PS, 11 VR, 12 BS (36)
9: 12 PS, 11 VR, 14 BS (37)
10: 14 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS (36)
11: 13 PS, 11 VR, 14 BS (38)

3) Materials Used

I started studying before I found out about SDN, so I used the Kaplan review books (5 book set). I also got some additional practice tests from Kaplan, but I took the sections separately. Overall, the Kaplan books were good for me. Toward the end, I used Chad's videos- I wish I had found these earlier!

The chapter-ending questions in the Kaplan books are great, and I especially liked the section tests at the end of each book. I did the Kaplan section tests for all subjects except for verbal.

4) What was your undergraduate major?

I was biomedical engineering in undergrad (graduated 4 years ago), so I had taken all the prereqs at some point- I felt like I was calling back the knowledge from a far away place. I also am working on a PhD in the life sciences, so I design and analyze experiments for a living. This really helped with the BS, especially the more experimental ones.

5) How did you study for each section?

PS: I feel like the easiest points are in this section. Some questions simply ask you to use a given formula by plugging in numbers. Other questions require you to recall the formula, but they are mathematically simple. Learn the formulas, and learn how to apply them. That will get you up to a solid score. To really kill it, you need to understand the concepts behind the formulas- alas, a couple of these tripped me up on the real deal.

Also, get comfortable doing calculations in scientific notation. Kaplan used more difficult, calculation-intense problems, and I think this helped me on test day.

VR: As you can see from the numbers, my VR didn't improve all that much from the first test to last. I read a lot, and am a very fast reader, and I think this was key to my 12. Ironically, I've noticed the Economist is recommended for VR practice around here; I've subscribed to it for years. Other than that, I would go over the incorrect answers from VR, but I felt like I could argue with the explanations. I don't think I have too much good advice here.

BS: As I said, being familiar with the design and analysis of experiments is helpful. Take a class that requires you to read journal articles, such as a graduate seminar class if possible.

Kaplan went into pretty good detail on biology and physiology. This definitely helped me, but just know that you're going to learn a lot that you will not see on the MCAT. They're not going to test you on digestion AND muscle AND embryogenesis AND evolution, etc. However, they WILL ask you about one or a few of those, often in discretes (either you know it or you don't). Relearning the biology and physiology is half of what put me from a 9 on my first AAMC to a 15 on the real deal.

Organic chemistry was my weakest spot coming in, and I got lucky with the exam on my date. The Kaplan organic book was okay, but Chad's videos really helped me understand the concepts behind the reactions. I wish I had found those earlier- I started watching about a week before the exam.

6) How long did you study for the exam?

Just under 2 months. I used most of my free time to study, but that was limited due to being in lab full time. I'd say I averaged a couple of hours a day, with a couple more on the weekends.

7) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

1) Use the AAMC FLs wisely. In my opinion, they have two uses. First, to learn how the MCAT asks questions (see #2). Second, use them as a diagnostic- to see where you're scoring, how you're improving, and which areas you're still weak on. If you're stuck at a lower score than your goal, quit taking the AAMCs until you've improved your weak areas.
2) There are two things you must do to answer an MCAT question. #1: Know what the question is really asking, and #2: apply knowledge (given or memorized) to answer the actual problem. For #1, sometimes the actual problem is very simple but the question makes it sound more difficult. You often have to cut through the question stem to find that they just want you to apply a simple formula, for example. For #2, content review is the only way to increase your background knowledge. I took AAMC 3 with no content review, and was mostly finished by AAMC 7. I continued to review material that I missed in the FLs.
3) To get a great (rather than just good) score, you need to know how and why things work- not just memorize facts. For example, nowing that BH3 is a Lewis acid might help you on a very specific problem, but knowing that all electron pair acceptors are Lewis acids may help you on numerous types of problems.
4) To that end, I thought Chad's videos were great for conveying an understanding of organic chemistry. The last week of studying, I just watched his videos on concepts I was weak on. I didn't use his physics or biology videos, so I can't really comment there.
5) I didn't use a set study plan or schedule. I was pretty good at analyzing where my weaknesses were. This is done most easily with the analysis by content tools at the e-MCAT site. So instead of reviewing certain subjects on certain days, I made a list of weak spots and made sure to hit those before test day. However, if you're not as good at this kind of analysis, I expect a calendar is useful.
6)
You may (and probably will) get lucky or unlucky with content on the exam. The BS section on my MCAT exam tested some things I was very strong on while avoiding my weak areas. In other words, you will deviate from your AAMC average. If you must get an X on the MCAT, don't take it until you are scoring above X consistently.

Last edited:

11-Sep: 13 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS - 35

2) FL AAMC MCATs:

AAMC 03 11-Aug: 32 [10/11/11]
AAMC 04 17-Aug: 36 [12/13/11]
AAMC 05 20-Aug: 35 [13/11/11]
AAMC 08 30-Aug: 36 [10/13/13]
AAMC 09 05-Sep: 39 [13/11/15]
AAMC 11 06-Sep: 32 [11/10/11]
AAMC 10 08-Sep: 35 [12/12/11]

Average: 35 [11.5/11.5/12]

3) Materials Used

TBR chemistry, physics, orgo. EK Bio.

Medical Science; it provided me with relevant background knowledge.

PS: I made equation sheets of all relevant formulas to memorize. I did lots of practice questions and used TBR to study the material.

BS: I used TBR for orgo and EK for bio. I didn't spend time doing practice questions (except for FLs) because I wanted to focus more on my weakness, which was PS.

VR: I didn't study VR because I felt doing better just required me to be more focused and adopt a good strategy instead of repetitive practice.

Around 80 days, averaging 4 hours a day (~320 hours)

7) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

Make sure you are, on average, scoring higher on your AAMC practice tests than you wish to score on the real thing before taking it. Make sure not to burn out because there is a lot to study, just take it one day at a time. Practice a lot and remember that the FLs are your best resource.

Hi,

this is for gettheleadout.

How did you exactly determine what went on your flashcards, and what didn't? It seems like it takes a long enough time to go through and read each chapter , and I'm guessing equations and definitions went straight on there, but what else did you put on there? There are many detailed processes, like the Na+/K+ channels - did you break these up, or did you put the whole thing on one flash card or use some other technique? I'm confused because you said you used textbooks, and the level of depth in textbooks seems to require time ( to read and digest them) and then more time to sort out the info and make flashcards, and then some extra time on the side to actually review other cards...

Thanks!

Adding to my (now hitting the 10k character limit) main 30+ post!

TPR Biology Review (latest edition): I had a chance to look through a copy of this for about a half hour recently. I would confidently recommend this as a the best all-around bio content review I've seen. Some notes I made in my examination of the book:

Pros - Covers the following notably well: Bacterial Life Cycle (not covered in TBR or EK), Sensory Perception (some topics outright absent in TBR), Embryogenesis (beats TBR and beats EK/Kaplan by far), Muscular System (beats everything else), Connective Tissue, Genetics, Vertebrate Classes, Fungi, Oxygen Utilization and Tolerance.
The book contains a Glossary!

Cons - Molecular Biology is very (possibly overly) detailed, like TBR, but better presented. Their info on the use of flashcards is well-meaning but extreme; read with skepticism. Ignore their information on passage mapping and question types. Page 2 describes the MCAT as "the most confidence-shattering, most demoralizing, longest, most brutal entrance exam for any graduate program." Ignore this crap, all it does is make for a defeatist attitude.

I did not work through any of the included practice passages, but in my opinion the book is work $35 new just for the content review. You'd pay $30 for EK Bio, and $70 for TBR Bio. Combining TPR Bio and the TPRH SW gets you bio content review and practice passages, plus passages and discretes for all other science topics. Best route in my opinion.

Hi,

this is for gettheleadout.

How did you exactly determine what went on your flashcards, and what didn't? It seems like it takes a long enough time to go through and read each chapter , and I'm guessing equations and definitions went straight on there, but what else did you put on there? There are many detailed processes, like the Na+/K+ channels - did you break these up, or did you put the whole thing on one flash card or use some other technique? I'm confused because you said you used textbooks, and the level of depth in textbooks seems to require time ( to read and digest them) and then more time to sort out the info and make flashcards, and then some extra time on the side to actually review other cards...

Thanks!
I made judgment calls for the flashcards based on 1) how much I already knew about topics going into review, 2) the level of detail I both expected to need and wanted to achieve for the exam, and 3) how much I wanted per card or how many cards I wanted per topic. As an example here's one my cards:

Sliding Filament Model - Contraction Steps said:
1) Free myosin heads have a bound ATP, which is hydrolyzed to cock the head back (storing potential energy) in the recovery stroke
2) Cocked myosin heads with bound ADP and Pi bind to free G-actin active sites
3) Myosin heads release ADP and Pi and execute power stroke
4) Myosin heads bind ATP to release from the active site

Reactions: 1 user

22-Aug: 14 PS, 11 VR, 13 BS - 38

2) FL AAMC MCATs:

AAMC 3 (33): PS 12 VR 9 BS 12
AAMC 4 (33): PS 12 VR 12 BS 9
AAMC 5 (39): PS 12 VR 14 BS 13
AAMC 7 (35): PS 13 VR 9 BS 13
AAMC 8 (38): PS 13 VR 12 BS 13
AAMC 9 (36): PS 12 VR 13 BS 11
AAMC 10 (35): PS 11 VR 11 BS 13
AAMC 11 (38): PS 13 VR 11 BS 14

Average: 35.75

3) Materials Used

TBR Bio, GChem, Physics, Orgo, TPRH Verbal, EK 101, TPR SW
Also had access to Kaplan Online course

Molecular Biology and Japanese

I basically followed the S2Ned schedule. It was a bit tough to follow the schedule at first, but I eventually got into the swing of things. I did 3-4 verbal passages a day. I did less studying on Sundays, but I never took a full break. I also made Anki flashcards for every problem I got wrong. I would cycle through the flashcards every few days. Eventually I got tired of the flashcards, so I did them less and less.

During the last month of studying, I incorporated the Kaplan online materials and TPRH SW into my studying. I substituted the EK1001 series for these two sources instead because I found them tons more helpful. The TPRH SW is a great resource for doing experimental style bio problems and great review overall. The Kaplan materials were also great for practicing challenging passages.

Around 90 days, averaging 9 hours a say, with 2-3 hours of break interspersed throughout the day.

I took the MCAT during the summer to give my self 3 months of uninterrupted prep. For those of you who are ambivalent about whether or not you should dedicate a summer to the MCAT, I would say to go for it. I know many people on these boards have scored better than I on the MCAT while juggling multiple activities/jobs, but I am definitely not one of those people, and I knew that from the start. There is nothing wrong with taking a summer to study for a major standardized test. I was aiming for a 36 initially and as you can see my average was a bit lower than that. However, since I got 38 and 39 a couple of times on my practice tests, I thought I would be okay. Lo and behold, I got a 38 on the real deal, so I was really ecstatic. For me, my score will open more doors than the extra summer of volunteering or research I could have done were it not for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.