30+ MCAT study habits???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

confewshz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked a zillion times, but I like to get fresh perspectives. For those who got 30+ MCAT scores(SouthernGirl, beanbean, JScrusader, Samoa, nero, and anyone else who has a 30+ MCAT score), can you post the following information please? It would be greatly appreciated.

1) Your individual scores and composite score

2) The study method used for each section

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

4) Which practice tests did you use?

5) What was your undergraduate major?

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?

Thanks guys and congrats to everyone who recently took the MCAT :clap: ,

confewshz

Members don't see this ad.

PS 12 VR 12 BS 13 S => 37S

ExamKrackers Complete Home Package, Kaplan Online

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
EK 10-week home study schedule, Kaplan Online before that, some of the Kaplan Full-Lengths, all of the AAMCs.

AAMC 3-9
Kaplan Full-Lengths (they are too hard, so I stopped)

Biology, Psychology (Neuroscience)

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

Be appreciative of the luck factor. For the super-strivers, know that once you get into the 35+ range, it's very hard to consistently score higher than a 12 or 13 in any section, particularly the insanely curved verbal. I was averaging around a 37 or 38, with the occasional 35-36 and the occasional 40+, but when one or two questions can mean a point or two difference, don't let it get you down. Just keep your head up and don't think about the numbers game, and STUDY like your life depends upon it.

After fall finals (late December) until April.

33R - 11PS, 11VR, 11BS

Three 11's appears well-rounded but I loved verbal, BS (especially a neuron passage I had), but hated PS because of Gen Chem (blame it on apathetic junior college professors.

Took the Kaplan course. No green dot or mapping really used. Definitely, read for main idea in verbal, though.

BS & PS = Kaplan. VR=Kaplan(questions were too easy) & EK VR 101 (VERY helpful)

AAMC 7 and 8. Kaplan 1-5
Scores ranged from 31-33
Initial half-length diagnostic was a 21

Biology

Eat a solid well-rounded lunch (carbs, fat, protein). Felt exhausted during BS because of a 300 calorie lunch

Practice tests will make the real thing feel like a pracitce test. :thumbup:

Abstained from alcohol while studying from Christmas to April 22 (so, 4 months).

pre-med machine said:
Study habits? In the next week, I'm taking 12 diagnostic tests. I can do 3/day if I don't take the normal break times. I don't need much sleep until next Friday night either. Tuesday afternoon, I'm going to start reviewing all of my content books and doing more practice passages. For details about what I'm doing the morning of the test, check my other postings. On the last 2 AAMC diagnostics, I scored a 42, so I'm pretty much guaranteed to get at least that on the real MCAT. If I work hard enough, I can probably bring that up to a 43 or 44. If I get below a 40, I'll definitely be taking it again in August. Harvard doesn't like scores in the 30s. On my first practice test, I got a 38! I thought I was going to die! But I kept telling myself it was ok and that, if I kept working straight on through until the MCAT, I could improve by at least 4 points. If I end up with a 38 as my final score, I'll probably reconsider my career choice.

Best of luck with your studies,
Michael[/QUOTE

hahahahah

Members don't see this ad :)
sotired said:
pre-med machine said:
Study habits? In the next week, I'm taking 12 diagnostic tests. I can do 3/day if I don't take the normal break times. I don't need much sleep until next Friday night either. Tuesday afternoon, I'm going to start reviewing all of my content books and doing more practice passages. For details about what I'm doing the morning of the test, check my other postings. On the last 2 AAMC diagnostics, I scored a 42, so I'm pretty much guaranteed to get at least that on the real MCAT. If I work hard enough, I can probably bring that up to a 43 or 44. If I get below a 40, I'll definitely be taking it again in August. Harvard doesn't like scores in the 30s. On my first practice test, I got a 38! I thought I was going to die! But I kept telling myself it was ok and that, if I kept working straight on through until the MCAT, I could improve by at least 4 points. If I end up with a 38 as my final score, I'll probably reconsider my career choice.

Best of luck with your studies,
Michael[/QUOTE

hahahahah

that is almost unbelivable :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: but definetly made my day

Hi Guys,

I took a Kaplan class, and ended up with a 43R. I scored in the low 30's on their diagnostic, so I feel like my studying did something for me. Actually, that's not true, I'm sure they just mixed up my sheet with some smart girl's.

43R - Verb: 15, Bio: 14, Phys: 14

1. Re-read classnotes and textbooks from relevant courses.
2. Kaplan course. It seemed dumb to me at the beginning, but it teaches you how to think like an MCAT goblin. (Goblins make the test, I swear.)
3. Practice tests, and lots of them.
4. Score it right after you take it, and drill on the problems you missed. Whenever I scored a question as incorrect I didn't move on until I understood exactly why the right answer was right. I also didn't move on until I had reconstructed my original reasoning, and figured out why it was wrong. To facilitate this I usually made notes as I did the test about how I arrived at my answer. Knowing the wrong way to solve a problem was as important as the right way.
5. Doing full lengths is preferable. I'd compress my studying into one day a week (ie. work late M-Th, take Friday off) to build up my endurance. I was really lucky my job let me do this.

Kaplan, AAMC.

Kaplan, AAMC.

Physics

YES! This test has a huge psychological/endurance component to it. It's hard to do well, even if you know all the answers. So, I focused on training for that. Strategies were:

1. Full lengths, as many as possible, or study when you're already tired.
2. No weed smoking between 2 weeks before the test, and 2 hours after it.
2b. Serious about the "after" thing: a friend got all paranoid that he mis-bubbled or something. Not cool, not ok. Just cool down first.
3. Taper off studying the week before. Just like running a marathon, ensures that you're fresh for the real thing.
4. Do practice tests with booze. I strongly believe in this, even though it sounds silly. First, it relaxes you, and makes doing the test a little more fun. Second, it makes the endurance stuff harder. Taking a test drunk is like swinging two bats before you hit in baseball. (I hate sports, I don't know why all these sports analogies are coming out...) If you can do passably when you're bombed, it's easy sober. I got some weird looks at the Kaplan center, so be prepared for some social stigma.
5. Avoid caffeine the morning of. The kids that had coffee were shaking so hard they could barely hold their pencils. AND they had to pee.
6. Don't socialize with other people studying for the MCAT. Collaboration is great, but it's not accurate practice for test conditions. All I thought about was filling in the right bubbles, not about how cool my friends were, or how their studying was coming.
7. Sleep. Do it lots and do it regularly. Find a boring book to read the night before the test to put yourself to sleep - don't drink or medicate yourself to prevent morning grog/hangover. Sleep is a far more valuable asset the night before the test than studying.
8. Stop studying the night before. Don't be that guy frantically looking through his flashcards when you're supposed to be putting your stuff away. Don't talk to or pay attention to the other people at the test center. All the answers are on the page, you just have to pick them out and fill in the corresponding bubbles.
9. Immodum AD. Take one before the test, just in case the stress gets to you. You might not poo for 5 days, but you definetely won't have to during the test.

I started in June for an August test, and spent about 12 hours a week on it.

I think it also helps to realize that there's a buttboat load of luck involved in the MCAT. When missing a handful of questions out of hundreds moves you over several st. dev.'s in score you've just got to be lucky. I scored way outside the mean of my practice tests, fortunately in the good direction. Just understand that you're dealing with a pretty arbitrary test, created by yellow goblins with hairy warts, and train for it like a marathon where you might get lucky.

- LBQ

Hey,

I am kinda new to this forum, don't know how to PM you. Do you use MSN messenger Passport? Can I contact you through that? My MCAT is scheduled for April, and I am getting a start on it. I took the MCAT 3R, each section separately but times and got a 13, (3VR, 5BS, 5PS). I have been going with a fine tooth comb over 3R. I have the EK 6th edition and been tackling, but mostly referencing to areas over my weaknesses.

I have watched the MCAT-prep videos except not all the Bio DVD. I was tackling the VR 101 book after my first diagnostic, but I noticed that it is a little different from AAMC. The passages are interesting, unlike at least 3 I encountered on 3R. I have found that one 3R exam can offer so much insight on diagnosis. I have taken the 4R verbal, right after the 3R and got a 4 VR. But this was before tackling the MCAT AAMC practice items which I went through quite efficiently. For reasons I do not know, I developed a special niche for Verbal. It is a form of "art" as EK mentions. I am going to take a diagnosis for 5R Verbal and see how I do.

I wanted to keep contact with someone who had already travelled the path and I could keep contact with any questions on MCAT.

I wanted to know if you had any thoughts on retaking an Organic II class I received a B-.

1) 35Q :cool: PS 12, VR 10, BS 13

2) I read through the Kaplan blue book to do baseline studying for all sections.

3) Kaplan blue book, Princeton Review practice tests, AAMC, ARCO GOLD MCAT sample exams (sucks), and Petersons 2006 book for more practice.

4) Kaplan 31 PS 10, VR 9, BS 1 July 16th
The Princeton Review 26 PS 8, VR 8, BS 10 July 30th
The Princeton Review 24 PS 7, VR 8, BS 9 August 8th
Petersons test 29 PS 10, VR 8, BS 11 August 10th
Petersons test 30 PS 10, VR 9, BS 11 August 12th
AAMC 3R 34 PS 13, VR 9, BS 12 August 14th
AAMC 8R 31 PS 11, VR 9, BS 11 August 15th

5) Biochemistry with a minor in biology

6) Familiarize yourself with concepts then do as MANY practice tests as you can. They were invaluable in timing and preparation for me. I took 5 full length practice exams within a week and a half of the exam and it proved invaluable. Practice it exactly like you want your routine to be. Same lunch, similar location, same times…beat yourself into submission to be happy with your exam.

7) ~ 50 Hours of reading the Kaplan Blue Book. Then ~100 hours for practice tests and reviewing missed problems. I found that doubling the amount reading with practice test time to be a good rule of thumb.

***Take as many practice tests as you can!!!:idea:
:luck: Goodluck:luck:

39R ... straight 13's

I took a kaplan course, mostly attended, however I mostly made use of their extensive practice test library. Personally, I think taking tests and getting a good sense of what you know well and what you need to read up on is the best thing you can do.

I started in really studying about midway through July... I'd say I spent at least 4 hours a day for about 5-6 days a week up until the August 19th test date.

Day of the exam... I thought I did horrible... Now that I have my scores, I'm pretty happy with how I did.

33Q here.

VR 10
PS 13
BS 10
WS Q

I had an overloaded summer. I took Orgo I, Orgo II, and Physics II all during this past summer, while studying for the MCAT. I actually started "studying" back in January when I bought the big Kaplan book, which I began to sort of skim. In February, I purchased the Examkrackers set and that ended up being almost my only resource. I had to balance my time in the spring between school work and MCAT studying, so I took EK's 10 week schedule or whatever and stretched it out over a longer period of time. The summer was ridiculously intense with those three courses and MCAT studying and little else. I took one or two practice tests in the beginning of the summer to gauge my fitness, and was around 27ish. Even towards the end of the summer, I wasn't expecting too much improvement, as I'd heard it's tough to really have your scores jump all that much in that short period of time.

I took EK 1g about 3 weeks before the real thing and scored a 30, which took me by surprise. I then took AAMC 7, 8, and 9 and scored 34, 32, and 35 respectively.

I only had Orgo I in the evening the first six weeks of summer, so the daytime was spent doing a combo of Orgo and MCAT. I basically would read the EK lectures and then outline them in a notebook individually. It was a long arduous process, but it really helped. Then I'd go back and make notecards for all the stuff I wrote down in my outline/notes. I'd use these to review constantly when I wasn't doing something else.

I think a lot of what helped me on the MCAT was the recency effect. Having just taken many/most of the pre-reqs the past two semesters or so, things were still very fresh in my mind.

August 2006: 33O (PS12 VR11 BS10 Essay O)

(Second time taker. August 2002 it was 26O PS9 VR9 BS8 Essay O)

Used the following:
-free stuff at http://www.mcatpearls.com/
-AAMC practice tests
-EK for a few things

After getting the basics in, I went back to the following texts and read a few chapters to understand the concepts better.
-Zumdahl: Intro Chem (wonderful book, wish all texts were written in this style)
-McMurry Organic
-Physics text (don't remember the name)

Being an engineering major, BS was the hardest section for me, harder than verbal! I actually read the basic stuff (neurons, cell communication, immunology) from Guyton to understand a few fundamentals and also to become familiar with the language used in the test.

Verbal: not much preparation. I subscribed to the Economist and read it regularly. So it did not seem too hard, but still found the passages challenging.

AAMC.

Chemical Engineering

Out of school for the past 6 years. So forgot a lot of stuff. Reading the text was useful. Start early. Review the material 3-4 times. The test is, as much as everyone says is about endurance, is also about your brain's processing speed-applying past knowledge to new situations. So you need to be able to remember a lot of facts fast to be applied to new situations and there is no time for second guessing.

Studying actually helped me improve my score by 7 points. So study hard. Also do a few full length exams.

Good luck to all future test takers.

VR 10
PS 13
BS 10
WS Q
33Q

Verbal: I always thought verbal would be an easy strength, as that type of thing was always second nature to me; however, I found out after taking AAMC 3R that this was not the case. I did all the EK Verbal 101 stuff basically, didn't necessarily utilize their methods, but picked and chose different things. Overall I probably could've raised it if I dedicated myself further to focusing on this section, but I was averaging 9-11's (with an 8 here or there) and was more worried about doing well on the other sections.

Physical Sciences: Again, I used EK's complete study package. It also helped that I had Gen Chem I and II this past year in school, and Physics I in the spring and Physics II in the summer. It was mostly fresh in my mind, and my Gen Chem II class was ridiculously thorough; it prepared me better than anything else I can think of. I did a bunch of Kaplan topicals I got my hands on late in the game, but that was more just to brush up on rusty areas.

Biological Sciences: Bio has always been a strength of mine. That is to say, Anatomy and Physiology have always been my strengths. Genetics and Molecular Bio I was not quite as strong in. Unfortunately, I got tons of that stuff on the real thing. I basically did the same thing as the other sections: used EK's materials....and I bought EK's 1001 Bio book! A must have for all Pre-Meds!!!! Lots of passage based stuff. Great buy.

Whoops, already touched on this.

Verbal: EK 101
PS: EK Complete Study Package and some Kaplan topicals
BS: EK Complete Study Package and EK 101

EK 1g, and AAMC 3R-9

Kinesiology/Exercise Physiology

Trust in your abilities. I almost voided the PS section halfway into it, and that ended up being my best section. On test day, you'll probably have NO IDEA how you actually are performing! So be confident. Also, don't just hammer away a bunch of practice exams when your scores stall out. Take time to learn the material, then go back to the tests.

1-2 hours 4 days a week from Feb-May, and then about 4-5 hours a day from May to August

Please excuse the two posts, I went back and realized what the "format" was for this thread and wanted to follow it. Unfortunately, it's too late to delete my first post!

Members don't see this ad :)
August 06, my first MCAT.
Score: 34Q 12PS, 11VR, 11BS.
Drank almost every night all summer, studied only if I was truly bored or it was too hot to cook out and have fun outside with my wife, kid and friends. Spent time thinking about life, tried to avoid getting my wife pregnant again.
You just got to relax and have a good time.
Worry about how you can help the world and what kind of person you really want to be. Figure out what you are going to do if med school doesn't happen. Figure out what you are going to do when you get to med school and you have to keep up a crazy pace. figure out how you want to deal with what is going to be a crazy healthcare system when you get out of school.
I just know too many damn people who are uptight about this. Don't ignore the people you love.
Sorry about the hippie rant but most premeds/meds need to live a little more. Spending time doing some stuff I wanted to do and starting a family before med school is the best thing ever. Hope you all can enjoy your live's too. Life's too short...

12, 12, 12, S

Reviewed the question format two weeks before the test; took the online practice MCATs the week of the test.

College Major: Biology/Chemistry

If you've taken the relevant courses (Physics I/II, Orgo I/II, Cell Biology, Genetics, etc.) in college, you will do more than fine.

I think the best advice I can offer anyone with these classes still ahead of them is...pay attention. Master the concepts taught in these classes, and the MCAT will be a breeze. The books are great, i've got a set of the EK series myself, but what you have to remember is there is a time component to the MCAT. Understanding the material will help you analyze the passages and pinpoint what they are searching for as an answer.

I answer all of these questions in my post 'My MCAT Story', but no one will probably read it, so I'll do it here too - LOL.

PS 13 VR 11 BS 12 Q => 36Q

ExamKrackers Complete Study Package

Kaplan Comprehensive Review
ExamKrackers Complete Study Package
MCAT Audio Osmosis

AAMC 3R - 9

B.Sc., Major in Biology

As a previous poster mentioned - luck - it is either in your favour or not. I thought I bombed verbal, but I ended up doing good. Why? Luck.

I studied from May to August - two or three hours a day, with a practice test almost every Saturday. Yes, this ruined a lot of weekends.

PS 14; VR 12; BS 13; Writing Sample Q
Composite: 39Q

I bought the Kaplan Comprehensive Review from Amazon. I also purchased a bunch of other books I did not end up using - this includes the Exam Krackers 101 VR Passages, Kaplan 2 Full length practice tests, Exam Krackers Guide to Kracking the MCAT (or something like that).

Most friends who wrote it before me warned me to work my as$ off for the Verbal Reasoning section.

The way I tackled it, since I only had about a month and a half to study: went through the Kaplan comphrehensive review page by page. Set goals as to which chapters I wanted to cover. I had to self-teach most of the BS section since I wasn't familiar with most of it. I went into MORE depth than was required - ie, consulting textbooks and actually reading through them. Took a LOT of notes.

With about two weeks to test date, I was 'comfortable' with my knowledge. Started doing full length self-timed AAMC practices tests every other day. Days in between, would work on weaknesses that were identified in the practice exams.

Kaplan Comprehensive Review 2005-2006
Princeton Review (didn't really consult)
some random Examkrackers books...thought they weren't very helpful.
AAMC Exams 3R - 9 (these were so key)
I did NOT use any Kaplan/Princeton prep course. I think they're a waste of money

Used all Kaplan full length tests as a bank of practice questions to hone my knowledge.
Used AAMC Practice Tests for simulated timed exams that were treated really seriously.

Biochemistry, with a heavy focus on Genetics/Molecular Biology

My only tip is work hard. Make a schedule. Set goals on what you want to accomplish by a set period of time. Also it helps if you have a study partner. I don't think I would made it through the month and a half sane if I wasn't studying with my ex-gf. Helps to have someone you can ask questions, bounce ideas, go on breaks with.

Approximately a month and a half. I was travelling for the first two months of summer...came back and bummed around for a while before deciding to seriously study.

10,10,11--> 31Q

Took TPR classroom course also studied alone for approximately 4 hours a day (more on the weekend).
I broke the MCAT into topic sections (Physics, O Chem, G Chem, Bio, Physics, Verbal) and spent a week doing each topic in the section. I might be able to dig up my study schedule if you PM me.

PS- TPR and Examkrackers (Books and 1001Qs)
VR- TPR and Examkrackers (Books and 101 Passages)
BS- TPR and Examkrackers (Books and 1001Qs)

AAMC Practice Test 4-8R

Comprehensive Science

Don't wait until the last minute. Also, don't believe those that say you can start studying the week of the exam. This is the biggest test of you life, treat it as such. Think of how hard you would study for an Organic exam, and that exam is one test of many and that class is one of hundreds that make up your GPA. For the MCAT, you have one shot and no other grades to average it with. For all the years you have worked toward becoming a doctor you don't want to blow it on one exam. As my father would say "life is balance"...study hard for this test and go to the bar everyday after. Its worth it. Also, thank your friends and family...reflecting back they are the ones who brought me coffee when I was in the library studying late, drove 2 hours to proctor my exam when I couldn't bear to sit there for 8 hours alone, did my laundry and cleaned my room when I spent Sunday afternoon in MCAT class, and the ones who took me out to dinner when I had a complete break down. Relax if you have the desire and motivation you will get through this.

4 hours of self study and 2 hours of MCAT class a day for four months (more on the weekends). I didn't study at all the week of the exam.

PS 13,VR 13,WS P,BS 12 = 38P

VR was just practice, practice, practice. VR seemed to be all about mindframe going in to the section. Some people say go in arrogantly like a professor grading a students paper, I just relaxed and read it through once the first time and tried to understand everything I read. After you do enough of these tests you can start predicting what will be asked about a passage based on its structure, and you will have answers forming in your head before you get to the questions.

PS and BS I just went through the material thoroughly once, started taking practice exams, and then quickly reviewed everything in a couple days at the end... spending a bit more time on certain chapters I could identify as having problems with.

Examkrackers Study Guides (or whatever that set is called) plus the EK Verbal Reasoning 101 book, with a dash of left over Kaplan material (mostly the notecards).

I took AAMC 3-8 strictly timed and the Kaplan 1-5's on an untimed basis. Kaplan BS is just too hard, and the VR practice is not that great, but I had the time.

I can't remember through the haze.

Start early, so when you need to put studying aside for a while you can without freaking out about it.
Do not get dejected when your scores come back crappy at first, just keep hitting your weakspots and it will start getting fun (somewhat) when you see improvements.

I was studying on and off since February for August... I went through the material slowly with plenty of breaks and got done reviewing before June. I had enough time to take 21 credits over the summer, and took about a test per week or so. Not giving yourself a time crunch will help in not frustrating you with the material, and you won't hate and fear the test as some of my colleagues did ;)

PM me if you have any questions, and good luck. If you are planning on the April test start studying now... if you are planning for January, smack yourself upside the head, move it back to April, and start studying now :thumbup:

PS=10 VR=11 WS=S BS=12 Comp=33S

1. Relearned material I hadn't had for three years through Examkrackers
2. Verified I knew the material through Kaplan subject tests
3. After I knew the subject material, tested my time using Kaplan section tests

Took Kaplan class; more helpful than the actual classroom were the practice subject tests and section tests; I went through almost all the Kaplan material (except writing, which I pretty much ignored - yeah, I'm a gifted writer), I didn't look at any of the AAMC section material, though. I also read through Examkrackers in my initial stages (mainly to brush up on my science), but didn't do the practice section tests.

Kaplan tests 1-5 (which were proctored in real time) and AAMC tests 8 & 9; my final composite score was EXACTLY the same as my last practice exam (maybe even the distribution was the same, don't remember)

Political Science and General Biology

Take it in the summer if you can - much less stress.

Started after graduating in mid-May, did about 10-15 hours/week (not counting actual proctored practice exams) until exam day in August. (I was still working part-time, and did still manage to go out and have a life).

37Q (13 PS/11 VR/Q/13 BS)

PS and BS -- took notes on Kaplan's review sections. Also, after completing practice problems/practice exams, I'd make a comprehensive list of everything I did wrong and review it every so often. Never make the same mistake twice.
VR and WS -- prayed I didn't get nine VR passages about the anthropology of Indo-European poetry on the exam (and did sample prompts/passages).

All sections (Kaplan Premier, Kaplan MCAT 45, TP's 2004)
BS specifically -- read thru Genetics and Biochemistry textbooks (Griffith and Lehninger, respectively); some practice problems from my Organic Chem textbook

AAMC 3-8; scored ~30-37 (37 on AAMC 8)

Molecular Genetics (Poli Sci minor)

If you can, take it the summer before your junior year. You can definitely pull off a summer (like a 9-5 gig) then return home and put 3-4 hrs of studying in. If the summer is about 80-90 days long, you can easily put in 250-300 hours of studying (a good amount to shoot for).

While I personally didn't do a review course, if you end up taking the exam during the school year, they would be a good way to force you to study.

Average of 3-4 hours per night between late May till mid August.

(though I did buy my first review book after my last AP senior year of high school)

vr 10/ps 12/bs 13, Q - 35 Q

VR: I used SDNers' advice. EK techniques, and EK 101 passages. Biggest help though, was doing all the verbal passages from the AAMC tests, 3 to 9.

BS: I read through the TPR BS chapters once through (there's too much) and then read through the EK Bio book afterwards for review (really helped). I also used EK AO and this was most helpful for bio, especially physiology (never took a physio course in my life) and after using AO, my physio studying from the books was just review. AO was not that helpful for the PS subjects for me. Finally, I used Kaplan flashcards for sparetime review such as on the bus or when I couldn't study anymore from the books.

PS: All hail to TPR PS review. It had been a while since I took gen chem and physics and this book brought it all back and more, I understood physics and gen chem even more now than when I took the courses and I kept thinking, damn i wish I had this book when I was taking the classes in university. Amazing, TPR was all I used. The kaplan flashcards were great too for memorizing equations. Lastly, the TPR Science Workbook was AMAZING for reinforcing concepts and equations, I personally did not complete it - only used it for weaker areas like physics + gen chem.

WS: I read over some sample answers and made sure I understood the thesis, antithesis, synthesis format (any and all prep books will explain this). Not much else.

VR: Bit of EK 101 BUT AAMC verbal passages were the best.

BS: TPR biological science review book and EK Bio

PS: TPR Physical Sciences review book

AAMC 3 to 9 for verbal. I only completed full lengths for AAMC 5,6,7,8.

Developmental Biology

Take it seriously, study hard but know when to take your breaks. Pace yourself and do not neglect verbal. Use a watch and devise a good timing/pacing system for yourself. If you are the type that will require many hours per day to study for it, it will be tough - find a good support network of encouraging people (like SDNers!!) who can empathize with you. Taking a diagnostic test is fine to gauge yourself - but I found that the full lengths were only helpful once i at least went over all the material once thru. You don't have to memorize all equations, but some you will - as you study and do practice tests, you'll learn which ones need to be memorized (or if you use tpr books, they'll tell you).

Biggest tip - you gotta take the tests in as real a condition as possible and treat it like its the real deal (i did and was so nervous on my first test). Then, try to gradually get over your anxiety/nervousness b/c the test is about reading comprehension and thinking - you can't do this well if your head is not clear. So remember, it's a big test - but try to stay calm.

A real help and wonderful resource is the SDN MCAT forum. Come here when you need advice or specific questions (Q&H thread).

Started mid-June - went hardcore at the end of June till early August. Then did light review for the two weeks b4 the big day.

33Q - 13 PS 8 VR 12 BS
This was my third time taking it...VR is always the hardest section for me. My previous scores were 24 and 25.

Kaplan course this time around, used some TPR stuff

Kaplan definitely for all. Used some TPR for PS and BS. Examkrackers also for VR

Kaplan 1-5
Kaplan PS 6-10
Looked over my old TPR 4911, 4921, and 4931
AMCAS 5-9

Biology

At the very beginning, read and comprehend. Know your trouble areas.

Start practice tests early and make it a habit.

Time-managment!

Have some time away from MCAT-ness...movies, friends...it doesn't hurt to spend time away from it (the week before the MCAT, I looked over notes and did some of the Kaplan online stuff..but took it pretty easy to prepare my brain for the coming Sat.)

The last week of May-the week of the test in August
However, I did make time for friends and having fun.

PS10 BS14 VR11 WSO 35O

I didn't take a prep course so this is just studying at home on my own
PS - went over all concepts pretty much... just got a good grasp on the ideas etc
BS - just read some stuff I had forgotten in my old texts
VR - tried some of the practice ones, just got a feel for the timing and personal strategies for reducing the time spent reading
WS - I actually wrote my first practice WS pretty damn close to the real thing (I'm talking weeks). I didn't really know how to study for it so I just read some practice ones to get the hang of mapping out my essay ideas without actually writing out the whole thing

I used an old Kaplan courseware set that someone lent me, helpful for narrowing down what I should look at. Then used my old textbooks to help with anything I wanted to look at more. Oh and I read the bio section of another prep-book that I had bought the year before to look over. I found it way better than the Kaplan bio - Barron's How to Prepare for the MCAT

I used AAMC ones- 3R and 9. I actually didn't write a test until about 3 weeks before the big day, which I don't really recommend. I did excellent on the first one I wrote because I was really prepared, but was stressing myself out a bit before hand because of the unknown.

Life Sciences and 2nd degree in Health Sciences

Here's my tip - trust how you study at school to work for your studying for the MCATs. If you aren't the type who gets/needs/benefits from being tutored etc, then don't waste your time and money at a prep-course. I had so many people badgering me when I decided I didn't think I needed one, and yea, that stressed me out a bit. "The only people who go to med school are people who have taken Kaplan". That is my fav quote from a past Kaplan instructor, who I will add hasn't been able to get into med school himself. I should have had more confidence in my decision, because in the end it was the right one. You know yourself, don't feel like you have to follow the masses.

I'm not really sure, I started in May. It was pretty consistent until I went to Vancouver to snowboard (ha, I brought flashcards for the lift, YEA RIGHT!), then it picked up again in the month before. I was working too, so it wasn't that much daily, I tried for at least 3 hours most days.

PS 12
VR 13
BS 13
Total 38S

VR: Just did the AAMC practice tests. Verbal has always been a strong point for me - I read very quickly by nature. Still, I never scored this high on a practice test (usually 11-12).

BS: I read the EK biology book cover-to-cover about five times. This is how I study - I just read things again and again to drill the info into my mind. I didn't do any practice problems other than the AAMC tests. I was taking organic chemistry that summer so I never used EK materials for this.

PS: I had just taken physics, so I just read the EK physics book for review. I read the EK chem book about six times, since I hadn't taken chemistry in 5 years. I did the practice problems at the end of each chapter in the EK book, and then did the AAMC tests.

WS: Whatever, what a crap shoot. I was an English major and writing is something I usually do well. Plus I have great handwriting - I know this helped (seriously). I read Kaplan's strategy on SDN and used that as a guide.

3) What materials you used for each section (Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

I stuck to the Examkrackers review books, and that alone. I rarely consulted any other textbooks or study materials.

AAMC full lengths 3-9. I never took a test under timed conditions - I think just doing the problems is enough.

English

I want all the humanities majors to know that you can take the MCAT without any upper-level bio courses (I took the bare minimum), and you can definitely do just fine. I was really stressed about being at a disadvantage since I was an English major with a minimal science background (I'm a non-trad). Just do well in the basic science courses with a focus on understanding. Then get ahold of EK's review books and drill the info into your head so you're fresh for the test. Be confident that you can do well, and you will.

If I could go back and do it again, I'd probably take some tests under real conditions. My timing was way off on PS, and I panicked during the test. I might have invested in EK's 1000 books, but I'm not sure this is necessary unless you're really weak in an area.

I was also stressed about my decision not to take a prep class. I'm glad I didn't, but I can see how the rigid schedule could be helpful to some. If you study well on your own, don't bother.

I started seriously studying in late-June. I studied whenever I wasn't studying for my class, maybe 8 hours/week total. When my class ended a week before the MCAT, I really buckled down and took 4 practice tests that week (wouldn't recommend this, I was kind of burned out).

1) Your individual scores and composite score V9 P13 B14 =36M

2) The study method used for each section Did independent reviews, followed by 5x self-tests

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc) Used Gold Standard & Examkrackers for all sections

4) Which practice tests did you use? Gold Standard 1, Exam krackers 1, AMCAS 3, 7, 9

5) What was your undergraduate major? Biochemistry honors

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us? This test can be the ONE that determines the next 4 years, or more, of your life. Make sure you put in enough effort into it. I took full-time classes and an internship throughout the summer, while preparing for the MCAT, but I basically killed my social life and stopped doing most of the unnecessary recreational activities. All my spare time went into the MCAT, and it paid off, IMO. Sounds harsh, but it's only temporary.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT? 1 summer - 3 months

13VR/14BS/14PS, R-WS => 41R

The first week and a bit I read through all of EK, then took a practice test to gauge my weaknesses. After that, it was relearning 3-5 sections a week on average, taking a full length every week. When I finished all that (due to breaks/unforeseeable events, it was Week 11 by then), I read through all of TPR's thick book, alternating with about 2 full lengths a week (this lasted 2 weeks). For Week 15-16, I went through all of EK once more. Week 16, I took 1 more full length and relaxed the rest of the week.. until Saturday the MCAT.

I used the complete Examkrackers set (5th edition, so more errors than 6th), Examkrackers audio osmosis for all.

I supplemented with practice material from Kaplan, TPR's "Cracking the MCAT" book and EK's 101 VR and 1001 Bio.

Practice test scores and order:
http://www.pero-pero.com/html/scaled.gif
http://www.pero-pero.com/html/percent.gif

Biopsychology and Microbiology/Immunology double major

1) If you get a 28 or higher on your first diagnostic (32 or higher if its AAMC3), don't bother taking a prep course... it won't help you at all.

2) Don't treat the MCAT as a chore, think of it as a game where you want to score well. Then you won't fall into depressive-studying-mode (I fell into that once and had to take a week off studying to collect myself).

3) Don't leave the WS till the end, you might end up doing well, you might end up bombing it. Sure most schools don't care, but in case they do, they're gonna wonder why you got an L or a M.

4) Verbal is very unpredictable... there's plenty of posts of people getting really low VR scores on the real thing despite consistent practice test performance. My highest Verbal score was in my 2nd week of studying (a 14).

5) Most importantly, take LOTS OF FULL LENGTHS (I took 20.. you don't have to be so extreme but at least take 10). I would say 50% of my learning was from texts, and 50% was from doing the full lengths every Sunday in a quiet office room.

If you want to reach your full potential, study for this full time. I'd guess I put in 500-600 hours for this test and all of my summer (4 months). You can see from my practice scores I'm still improving when I got to the test date. Don't get me wrong, you can still do great if you study 3 hours a day for 3 months.. you just might not do as great as your upper limit.

14PS/12VR/13BS - R = 39R

PS and BS sections were handled by the Kaplan texts and doing every quiz, workshop, and even the exercises at the end of each section. I aimed to know it to the extent that I could explain it to someone else in detail without confusing myself. However, do not leave it to the last week for science like I did, after writing the fifth and last Kaplan practice the week before the real thing, content review was still not done for me. Section and topical tests plugged in the holes.

Verbal... do not pass go, do not collect $200, and do not depend on Kaplan strategies... in fact run in the opposite direction with your arms flailing. I essentially winged verbal the first few practices and got 12's, wanted to boost it, tried the Kaplan strategies, and it actually went DOWN. Nuh uh. Key to VR is just practice, you can't really "learn" verbal, you can only "feel" it because its a general strategy you have to find that works for you and how to apply it to many different passages; there are no formulas to memorize, so only way is to practice.

Kaplan + classroom prep course

Kaplan tests 1-5, and AAMC7

Joint Political Science and Economics

Just the usual, practice, do not procrastinate, and FOCUS ON WEAKNESS!
Gatorade really is your friend, and practice on the hardest practices you can get your hands on. Getting great scores on the snoozers can be misleading and cause you to slack off, so humble yourself with a killer practice, but only after you've learned all the material well.

Practice test scores and order:
http://www.pero-pero.com/html/scaled.gif
http://www.pero-pero.com/html/percent.gif

Trozman, I have to tip my cap to you. *That* is hard-core. :scared: :eek: :D My methods were... different to say the least.

PS 14, V 14, BS 12, WS R --> 40R

EK course.

the EK course stuff (books for Bio, General Chem, Organic Chem, Physics, Verbal, which I read through, plus 10 mini-mcats, which I never cracked open :p ). I also bought the 101 verbal passages book, but I was too lazy to crack open that one too.

AAMC 5r (the EK diagnostic) - 34. Then I got 31-33 on the 3 EK practice exams, but that's with the caveat that I didn't take them as seriously as the real thing because often I was just really tired and wanted to get back home to sleep. The last AAMC I took was 6r through the course -- 36. The last week before the test, I tried to do AAMC 9r but fell asleep midway through the PS section :sleep:, and gave up after that.

Humanities.

Work hard in your prereq classes to make sure that you really know the material. Don't go into the whole MCAT process thinking that you'll learn things along the way, since it makes it that much more painful.

I have mixed feelings about the EK course, and taking a prep course in general. For someone like me who's pretty lazy and procrastinates a lot, taking a course would be helpful for keeping you on track and having someone dedicated to answering your questions as they arise. But if you have a good work ethic, I'd just recommend buying all the EK books, and supplementing it with the textbooks from your prereq classes, the EK 101 verbal passages book (which other SDNers say is helpful) and all the AAMCs that you can get your hands on. EK was really minimalist compared to Kaplan/TPR -- you had to grade all the practice exams yourself (and hence, I didn't grade my diagnostic until mid-July, because I was so lazy...), and they teach straight from books that you can very well buy on your own for much less money. They also don't have a lot of the resources (i.e., practice questions) that Kaplan/TPR might have, though I do believe them when they say that that's because they funnel most of the money into paying their teachers, and making sure that what materials they do have are pretty damn good.

In the end, I didn't study that much beyond the time I spent in class -- I was working during the summer, and too exhausted by my commute every day to do much more than watch TV before going to sleep. But I knew most of the material pretty well to begin with, and I've always been good at standardized tests, so I didn't worry much, even when the people I was living with began to rib me by cracking jokes like, "Are you really taking this in August?" and "I guess you don't want to go to med school," after seeing how little I was studying. I think "success" on the MCAT, however you define it, depends on you first knowing yourself as a test-taker and being honest about how much you know, and then adjusting your preparation strategy accordingly.

If I had to do it over again, I would have spent more time studying bio and memorizing some more stuff, because I think all the random questions that they always ask (and that I had to guess on) killed me. For physics, I think knowing the basic concepts and a few key formulas (which any course will cover) is probably enough, but again if you have time it never hurts to memorize stuff in case it shows up. Verbal... I don't think there's any easy way to improve this in a short time-span, beyond learning to read more carefully and critically. I thought EK's strategies for this were pretty helpful.

Since early June, maybe 10 hours a week (including 8 hours of class time). Once I actually graded them, I also spent some time going over my practice exams and the solutions, which I heavily recommend.

Hope this is helpful for all you guys gearing up to take this in January!

10 on each section = 30 O

Oh god *DO NOT* follow my study habits lol. I could have done so much better. My last practice exam was 3 months before the actual test, and I had only taken 2 practice exams, one not even full length. But if I had been taking practice tests say every 2 weeks or so up until the test, I know I would have improved drastically.

I completely procrastinated up until a month before the exam, and then my sole studying consisted of me reading the books from the Kaplan course given in 2004. These books were given to me by a friend, I didn't actually take taht course, or any course for that matter.

As I said, don't follow my habits. I actually was scoring higher on my practice exams, before I even started studying.

Kaplan course books.

Princeton Review full length, the one they give for free at their test centers and one Kaplan shortened 3 hour MCAT. The 3 hour one was TOUGH, but oddly enough I got my highest score on that, a 33.

Molecular and cell biology, genetics emphasis.

Learn from my mistakes. Be consistent about your studying. Take practice tests OFTEN (duh), and review your material on a regular schedule. Don't cram like I did.

As stated above, for about a month. I put in maybe 3 hours a day, 5 to 6 days a week.

I took it twice...but I'll tell you guys what I did both times

1st time - (April, 2006)

7 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS - 26 R

I didn't, I put it off and got drunk all the time so I wouldn't have to worry about studyig

I used examkrackers...thought it was gay

the free ones on amcas..I wasn't going to pay extra for that crap

molecular bio...ucla

Cut down on your partying

2 weeks before and I really half assed it...UCLA was in the final four, what do you expect? I made the road trip and it was worth it...screw the mcat

Ok the second time I took it - August 2006

9 PS, 10 VR, 12 BS - 31R

I stopped trying to learn material....I just got as many test prep books as I could and did as many practice passages as I could....I think learning the material is way overrated...everyone who does well on the mcat just learns how to do well on the mcat.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)...TPR...although the verbal class was completely useless...the only thing it really helped me with was the physical science

all of them, i dished out the cash this time...the week before the mcat I took a practice test every day, then reviewed my answers...I think this helped the most

yeah, lock yourself up in the library for about 2 months and study for about 8 hours a day....there is no shorcut or secret, you put in the time you will do well. Dont try to learn material, just practice, practice, practice
About 2 months, 8-10 hours 5 days a week (gotta party on the weekends, sorry people, I like to drink and I like to get laid..thats not gonna stop)

P: 14 V: 9 B: 13 --> 36R

After going through the bio and physics material once, took 1 or 2 practice tests and determined what needed work. I separated my studying into two areas: TPR's plan and my plan. TPR's plan followed the schedule, "my plan" was basically targeted studying based on weak areas of my past practice tests. I tried to tackle both plans each day. Buy a wall calendar, it really helps keep track of your plan.

For verbal, (even though I didnt do as well as I'd hoped), the best thing you can do is buy the EK 101 passage book and do them all.

Took TPR class, thought TPR materials were great (class not so much).
Bought the big Kaplan Comprehensive Review book, I used it mainly for the bio. Got EK audio osmosis, used it for some passive reinforcement of concepts.

3 TPR tests (4911,4921,4931), 1 Kaplan (#2), AAMC 3-9

Bioengineering (Biomedical Science), minor in Nanotechnology.

Remove all distractions. Fortunately for me, I was living in a summer apartment, so I had a crappy TV, no video games, slow internet, etc. Sounds horrible I know, but when I was bored, looking through an MCAT book didn't seem so bad. So my advice is, and I know this is harsh...make MCAT your life and work on it whenever you can. Alot of it is kind of interesting to read, and you'll be surprised how engaged you are while studying this stuff (at least for me).

Studied for approximately 11 weeks. Every day around 2 hours for TPR class, and then about 3-4 hours of my own study time. Took a test every Saturday, pretty much relaxed on Sunday. I was also doing some research every day at a doctor's office, but I had the key, so I also used to study there too.

36S: 12/12/12 (yay balance!)

TPR course, listened to a few Examkrackers audio osmosis CDs (but they really just annoyed me). I CRAMMED LIKE MAD the week before the exam. Everyone told me not to, but I know what works for me.

3) What materials you used for each section (Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
TPR course, Examkrackers Audio Osmosis

Princeton Review Test 4911 7/5/2006 BS:9 PS:8 V:8
Princeton Review Test 4921 7/11/2006 BS:8 PS:7 V:8 N
Princeton Review Test 4931 7/31/2006 BS:10 PS:8 V:11
AAMC Practice Test 8 8/8/2006 BS:11 PS:9 V:10 L
AAMC Practice Test 7 8/14/2006 BS:10 PS:10 V:11 N

(like I said, cramming like mad worked for me)

Architecture :)

Don't be a slacker like I was. Actually do your reading, do practice problems, and go to class. Then you won't have to cram like I did. You can do it!

10 weeks

13BS/13PS/13VR/PWS 39P

Biological: bought a book (Barron's "How to prepare for the MCAT") and read over the equivalent of a first year bio course to refresh on my cell biology. I'm in a biochemistry program so anything smaller than a cell I was pretty fresh on, and I'd just finished a physiology course.

Physical: Checked to make sure I remembered basic stuff, work/energy, projectile motion and the like. Had to review electricity as my university physics course didn't cover it. I used wikipedia for this.

Verbal: There isn't anything you can do for this one except practice.

Barrons for biology.

Barron's was useless for physical sciences, so I used wikipedia to fill in the holes.

Other than that I bought a load of the AAMC practice tests off their website and ran through them.

AAMC: The free one, the package deal (cheap), and one other they were selling.

Biochemistry.

Do it while you still remember your first year stuff. If you can, get through chem/physics/biol/organic/physiology courses before you start studying. It will save you a lot of time.

Unless you REALLY need the helping hand, use practice tests to guide your studying rather than shelling out the money for a review course. If you're considering medicine you probably already feel you know how to handle stress/pressure so that portion of any review course will just annoy you. As for the rest, The only course that will exactly match your strengths and weaknesses (wasting the minimum possible amount of your time) is the one you design for yourself.

I first cracked a book about a month before. Serious studying (daily, more than 6 hours/week) about 2 weeks. Furious studying (a couple full days, more than 3 hours/day) about 5 days.

PS - 10 , VR -12, BS - 10 Writing = R total = 32R
(April 2006 Score 27R 8PS,9VR,10BS
This being my retake (took in April 2006), i focused heavily on EK series for Physical Sciences and Verbal. I read Chemistry, Physics and Verbal cover to cover and used their Q books in areas I felt weak in (EK uses mini tests after each section to gauge your handling of the material).

Verbal, I did a few pratice tests but mainly used EKs method of taking in the whole passage and understanding question wording.

To be honest, I didn't do much in BS. I was a Bio major and did well in my upper levels , taking them a few months prior to August.

Good luck :)

EK for verbal and physical sciences. I mightve glanced a Kaplan book for fun but mainly EK.

I used AAMC tests (3-5 to gauge my weak areas)

EK1g, AAMC 3-5

Biology

Ironically, don't pore over StudentDoctor during your study session. As most people mention, SD is not really representative of most test takers. Having said that neither is any test stat. Have confidence that your individual effort will be reflected your score. Don't talk to anybody about the exam or find out scores, it'll only through you off, just study and study hard and efficiently . Find out if you can handle 10 hr study sessions a day and still retain stuff. Just push yourself to the point that you're studying the most you can but retaining the most you can. And of course, practice practice practice. The MCAT has a a rhyme, a pattern to its madness. Getting comfortable with the question wording is key.

I started after recieving my April Scores July - August, with 2 weeks preceeding the CAT hard core library/school studying for 9-10 hrs a day.

Ironically, don't pore over StudentDoctor during your study session. As most people mention, SD is not really representative of most test takers. Having said that neither is any test stat. Have confidence that your individual effort will be reflected your score. Don't talk to anybody about the exam or find out scores, it'll only through you off, just study and study hard and efficiently . Find out if you can handle 10 hr study sessions a day and still retain stuff. Just push yourself to the point that you're studying the most you can but retaining the most you can. And of course, practice practice practice. The MCAT has a a rhyme, a pattern to its madness. Getting comfortable with the question wording is key.
QUOTE]

Very good points.

10,10,12,R 32R

Read ExamKrackers Subject books,took some of the chapter tests from the subject books(would have taken all but ran out of time).

EK Subject books, AO for some sections (dont recall which ones exactly)

AAMC 6R Verbal(Score: 12) and PS(Score: 11). Never actually took a Bio practice test. Also used the majority of the EK 101 verbal tests(Score:11-12 for the later ones I took).

Bio

Take more practice tests. Probably something I should have done, but I didnt have time. Not sure how I only made a 10 in VR(thought I'd get at least an 11), but maybe it had something to do with not having taken a VR practice test since like early to mid july.

Originally started studying for the april mcat in Like Jan or Feb. Stopped in March and decided to take in Aug so Id have more study time as I was getting stressed out(which caused insomnia and so I decided that Id just take in Aug). Ended up being so busy this summer with an internship though that I was barely able to study. So not sure how much exactly, but really would have liked more time.

PS 14
VR 12
BS 14
40P
I used every book I could get at the Library (Kaplan, Gold, etc.) And read an Organic book cover to cover two times. About 300 hours total i would say.

All those books have there own pratice test and I used AAMC practice tests 3R, 4R, 5R, 6R, 7R

See above, my bad.

Physics

Go to the library and use all of their books.

Tooooo long.

13P, 13V, 12B, R = 38R

Took TPR course, was semi-useful mainly because I procrastinate too much and it forced me to think about topics every day of class. Didn't do much for VR or WS; I try to stay on top of current events which helped for WS and I do a lot of reading anyway so I didn't spend much time preparing for VR other than the practice exams and material in class. For physics and orgo, mainly learned concepts and memorized equations/values/units because the passages are often about things you've never heard of. For biology and gen chem, I made up a lot of mnemonics that I forgot the day after the exam. Had a good foundation from my undergrad classes. Whenever I missed a question on a practice problem/exam, I always reviewed the topic; this forces you to go over your weaknesses. I found flashcards to be helpful for things like NMR/IR values, physics and chem equations, solubility rules, etc. I kept them in my pocket and reviewed them when I found myself with a free moment eg waiting in line or at a stop light.

Read most of the Princeton Review (Hyperlearning) BS and PS review books that came with the course. Referenced Kaplan's comprehensive review book and my genetics book and biochemistry book when I wanted to clear something up or wanted a different perspective. Used Kaplan subject tests as well.

AAMC 3-8(a must!), 2 or 3 TPR practice tests from the course

Biology + physics minor

Get rid of the XBOX, TiVo, and friends who want to party every night :laugh:. Time yourself for all practice problems/tests from the beginning. Once you've got a topic well understood, don't spend much time reviewing it. There's a lot of info to cover; it may feel good to get a bunch of questions right about a topic or passage that is very clear to you, but...there's something known as the 80/20 rule in business/economics. I have a 60/40 rule for the MCAT. For the science sections, spend 60% of your time going over the 40% of material that is most difficult/foreign to you. Take as many real previous AAMC exams as you can and time yourself. Don't spend more than 30% of your BS studying time on Orgo unless you're really having a tough time with it; there has been less emphasis on orgo on the most recent exams (I wish I knew this when I took it). It's more useful to study physiology, genetics, biochem, micro. I advise taking a course in at least one of these classes before taking the MCAT. Make reading or doing problems a priority; a Friday night spent learning the difference between a spermatid and a spermatocyte may end up paying off. Theoretically (although very unlikely and kind of unfair), just 3 more correct answers could translate into the difference between a 27 and a 30 overall. If you're not sure of an answer, go with your first guess. Most importantly, figure out exactly why you got an answer correct or incorrect and the logic behind the correct answer when you're practicing.

3 months (~4 days/week since I was doing part-time research). Class was 10 hours/week. Some days I spent 6 additional hours studying, others 10 minutes. Just try to read or do practice problems on at least one topic every day like nervous system or kinematics. Hope this helps!

Aug 2006 - 10, 12, 14, Q (PS, VR, BS, WS)
Aug 2001 - 9, 10, 10, Q

Took a Kaplan course, as I needed review on the material. It's been 10 years since I took general Chem. Physical Sciences was where i focused, and prepared for each class ~1 hour, and then many many many questions

Didn't study much for the other sections, went to the classes, followed the "kaplan system" with my own tweaks...

Kaplan, also had an old "Gold Standard" book from 2001, and used that for more passages and questions

Kaplan's full-length tests were the most useful, as well as some sections from the Gold Standard book

Cell biology, and I hold a Master's in Immunology

Practice exams. Timed. Over and over until you go completely insane, then rest.

The 14 in bio is because of my Master's, I'm sure of it, I have a solid background in almost every content area, and read Nature every week. So that's about 2-5 years. Verbal, read the newspaper, blogs, novels, and learn to read critically. If you can't explain exactly what the point of a newspaper article is to someone then good luck on the VR section. Practice this. Read an article, then write a short essay on it. Start a blog, keep a journal. Everything helps. This is a "life skill" not only an MCAT skill.

In total, I devoted a huge amount of time this summer to the actual "studying" part, classes + prep every Saturday and Sunday, and 2-5 hours each week doing passages.

37R: 11VR, 13PS, 13BS, R WS. Aug 2006 MCATs

What I did:

Slacked off until 2 months before the test and realized that I need to get my
butt in gear.
Then it was EK 4th ed. (good, but lots of typos) until about 2 weeks left until the exam.
During the last week, I wrote a few Kaplan FLs, but found them to be too hard and started doing an AAMC exam every other day while recouperating and covering my weak points in the spacer days in between. My science scores slowly crept up with each new AAMC with this method. I just focused on all the subjects I found fuzzy in the spacer day after each AAMC test.

My VR was hitting a ceiling at 9 for the longest time until I started annotating the Kaplan way and then it jumped to between 11-13.

On test day:
Red eyed but wired with coffee because I couldn't sleep the night before
Had a small panic attack during the PS because I realized there was waaay more physics than I expected--barely finished.
During the VR I breezed through--the AUG 2006 section was especially easy and I think they curved everyone down
The VR relaxed me for the WS, which I breeze through as well, but I was slapped in the face by the BS. There was almost no orgo and almost everything seemed to be about genetics and bio. I usually finish the BS with at least 10-15min free, but I barely finished the real one on time--I had to guess on the last 4 questions.

The most important thing to do in studying for the MCAT is to CHECK THIS FORUM! I read most of this thread, and scanned through everything else during my downtime. Reading the posts encouraged me, pushed me to aim higher, and often saved me a lot of work in creating new notes or mnemonics or practice essay topics (to whoever you are who categorized the AAMC WS prompts into different topic categories, THANK YOU). The forum is here, use it! It has helped me in ways I can't even fully describe. A big thank you goes out to all the contributors during that last AUG2006 MCAT crunch! It was an honor studying with so many bright and cheerful people. Good luck with your apps!

37R: 11VR, 13PS, 13BS, R WS. Aug 2006 MCATs

What I did:

Slacked off until 2 months before the test and realized that I need to get my
butt in gear.
Then it was EK 4th ed. (good, but lots of typos) until about 2 weeks left until the exam.
During the last week, I wrote a few Kaplan FLs, but found them to be too hard and started doing an AAMC exam every other day while recouperating and covering my weak points in the spacer days in between.
My VR was hitting a ceiling at 9 for the longest time until I started annotating the Kaplan way and then it jumped to between 11-13.

On test day:
Red eyed but wired with coffee because I couldn't sleep the night before
Had a small panic attack during the PS because I realized there was waaay more physics than I expected--barely finished.
During the VR I breezed through--the AUG 2006 section was especially easy and I think they curved everyone down
The VR relaxed me for the WS, which I breeze through as well, but I was slapped in the face by the BS. There was almost no orgo and almost everything seemed to be about genetics and bio. I usually finish the BS with at least 10-15min free, but I barely finished the real one on time--I had to guess on the last 4 questions.

I thought that VR on the August MCAT was insane - I have nightmares about it still. ;P

After PS and VR though I felt really good - WS and BS felt really good. Like you though, my BS didn't have any organic - that doesn't bother me, but organic would have been my strong point.

Good job.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS-13
V-9
BS-12
WS-R
Total: 34R

DO NOT waste money on kaplan. I used solely EK and practice exams. Actually, as you will see I did not rock the verbal like i wanted, but was consistent 9-12 in practice. I used EK and went through each book in about 2 monthes. I did all 30 min practice exams, and also worked problems out of the EK workbooks.

EK. For all sections.

Kaplan Diagnostic
AAMC 3,5-9
2 Kaplans from book
EK 1g
1 from a shi**y book

Exercise Science
Masters in Education
Working on PhD in Physiology of Exercise

"Practice exams. Timed. Over and over until you go completely insane, then rest." I agree. Take EACH saturday to do the miserable practice exams.

2-3 hours per day, 5 days a week. Practice Exams Satruday. about 2 monthes with 2 weeks off. Took 11 practice exams- could not crack 30 until the 6th one. Dont give up! Sunday was day to catch up on physics and kinetics class.

Eat a solid well-rounded lunch (carbs, fat, protein). Felt exhausted during BS because of a 300 calorie lunch

Practice tests will make the real thing feel like a pracitce test. :thumbup:

I have to completely agree with you there. Two weeks prior to the MCAT (August 2006) I took time off work and just did one full practice test every day (mix of AAMCs 3-6, 9-10 and some Kaplans. It was tiring, but worth it.
When I walked out of the real thing, felt like it was just another practice one. I couldn't separate it in my mind from the practices! except for the bloody cell phone going off in the real one during verbal. like honestly, wtf.

P: 11 V: 10 B: 11 --> 32Q

For verbal, followed EK verbal method (getting the main idea rather than focusing on details), for physical/biological, read through both EK study guides
(2x) and Kaplan review notes(1x) to get a grasp of the concepts covered for the first 2 weeks of studying (of the 10 weeks studied total) and spent rest of the 8 weeks just pounding down on any practice questions/exams I could get my hands on.

Took the 10 week Kaplan classrrom course. Didn't really feel like the classroom sections helped since they only covered the very basic concepts and you know that's not what they ask on the real exam. Finished most of online syllabus materials from Kaplan (including all of the ridiculously demoralizing topicals and half of the subject tests) and also depended HEAVILY on EK material. I went over all questions from EK study guides and all the odd problems to EK 1001 physics/general chemistry/orgo chem and did all of the problems from EK 1001 bio passages. Looking back at it, I say solely doing Kaplan wasn't enough and doing only EK would not have been enough either. The question styles are different and sometimes focus on different aspects of the concepts. The combo of both really worked out for me. Also did 8 of the 101 verbal passages from EK and did about 6 of the Kaplan verbal strategy. If anything, skip the Kaplan verbal book b/c it didn't help. Oh yeah, I also solved the entire EK Mini-Mcat.

If I had to pick EK vs Kaplan, I would choose all of the EK materials and do a self-study. Kaplan was valuable for their first 9 full length exams more than anything.

As you can see, I might have gone a little overboard on the practice exams, but I was not sorry when I took the actual exam b/c I did not get tired at all nor nervous and felt like I could take another one the same day if I had to. Also, when I felt terrible after the exam not knowing that I'd eventually get a 32, although I was upset, I never had doubts about whether I could have studied more or not, because I was confident I tried my best in preparing for this exam.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kaplan Diag- 23 (P8, V8, B7) (end of May)
Kaplan FL #1- 28 (P10, V8, B10) 7/9
AAMC 3R - 30 (P12, V8, B10) 7/15
Kaplan FL #6 33 (P11, V11, B11) 7/17
Kaplan FL #7 30 (P11, V8, B11) 7/19
Kaplan FL #8 31 (P11, V10, B10) 7/21
Kaplan FL #2 33 (P11, V10, B12), 7/23
EK #1g - 29 (P12, V8, B9) 7/26
EK #2f - 31 (P13, V8, B10) 7/28
Kaplan FL #3 - 33 (P12, V8, B13) 7/30
EK #3g - 32 (P11, V11, B10) 7/31
Kaplan FL #9 - 31 (P12, V9, B10) 8/1
AAMC 4R - 29 (P11, V8, B10) 8/2
AAMC 5R - 35 (P13, V11, B11) 8/4
Kaplan FL #4 - 33 (P11, V11, B11) 8/6
AAMC 6R - 35 (P12, V11, B12) 8/7
AAMC 7 - 34 (P11, V11, B12) 8/9
AAMC 8 - 31 (P10, V9, B12) 8/11
AAMC 9 - 32 (P12, V9, B11) the week of the exam, forget what day

Economics from a liberal arts college (I think doing post-bacc and having taken all the science subjects right before the exam helped.)

I studied w/an attitude that this would really make or break my life, especially b/c I'm a non-trad and had given up my established career and had to make huge adjustments in personal life to pursue a career in medicine. I had received advices from my friends who are in med school that 10 weeks was a good timeline to study. Long enough to prepare but not too long to get me burnt out. I took that advice and it worked for me. By the 5th week of studying, I already felt like I knew everything in the study guides and couldn't look at it anymore. However, what really kept me interested and helped was going over tons of practice problems. MCAT is not about knowing 100% of the concepts in the 4 science subjects(MCAT would be too easy then). You'll see after doing enough problems that there's a pattern and same type of questions show up over and over again. Although they might not be exactly the same, you'll get an idea of how to approach the problems in a relative fast pace even if they ask you questions based on topics/experiments that are challenging.

Also, please do many many practice tests. Timing yourself is essential!!! You'll learn to push yourself so that when you're stuck on a question, you'll know when to just move on to the next questions. I know where I lost my 1 or 2 points from the physical section. I was stuck on this horrible last to 2nd passage in physical sciences section and spent too much on it, only to move on to the last passage too late and realized I had just lost time to do 5 EASY questions. I was so sad and had to frantically bubble away. And I had never gone over timewise during practice on physical sciences section.

For verbal, practice is key. Please do yourself a favor and buy the EK Verbal 101 passages and do many of them. I had scored mostly 9's and scored 11 on one of the practice. The EK is more ambiguous than the AAMC so it's a good practice other than the actual AAMC practice test. Honestly, coming out of the test, I had no idea how I did on the verbal. Absolutely no idea. I felt like I was guessing through 1/2 of the questions. There were 2 passages where I had no idea what they were talking about. I couldn't even get the main idea b/c I felt like I wasn't reading english. But you know what? I just looked at the questions, and you can kind of get a feel for what the answer might be w/out even knowing the what the heck was discussed on the passage. This will come w/many practice~~~sounds weird I know, but you'll know what I'm talking about once you start practicing verbal.

For writing, I only practiced it 2x during Kaplan FL practice test day w/proctor. Just read through a few examples. Following Kaplan's simple and straightforward guidelines worked out for me.

I didn't go anywhere for the 10weeks I studied. I even abandoned my social life b/c I wanted to stay in the 'MCAT mode'. I just didn't want to do anything to regret whether I had or had not studied enough and make my life miserable once I got my score.

ALSO, if possible, do NOT sit under a huge, loud cold A/C vent on your test day. I was seated right under one and let me tell you, I could not focus b/c my body was literally trembling from being cold and my spine hurt from my muscles contracting. Not to mention that as I was reading the verbal passages, the pages kept turning due to the wind. I had to use an extra pencil and an eraser to keep the corner weighed down each time I turned the page. Thank goodness that I was a full-length practice *****, enough to keep me comfortable about taking the MCAT on the actual test day. If not, the testing conditions could have caused a psychological disaster for me.

Exactly 10 weeks. Maximum 9-10 hours a day, towards the last 4 weeks about 5-6 hours a day.

GOOD LUCK and please PM me if you have any questions!
I also have to really thank SDN for all the information and advice the SDNers provided me with. It also kept me motivated as I saw other people struggling and studying hard just as I was.

PS: 12, VR: 10, BS: 12, WS: O (I got an R on the April MCAT with a much worse score though)
34O

Audio Osmosis for the most part. I had studied using Barron's (DO NOT USE THIS BOOK, IT IS TERRIBLE!!!!!) for the April MCAT, so there was a lot of background knowledge before picking up AO. I also got the EK Verbal 101 and the EK Chemistry 1001 (chemistry was my weak point). I bought all of the practice AAMC tests and took all of them between June and August. Also, a friend who took the Kaplan course a few years back sent me his book and notecards.

See above.

All of the AAMC ones

Applied Physics with a concentration in Biophysics, and Biology

Don't hesitate to spend the money on the more expensive books with a better name. I made the mistake the first time by choosing Barrons ($20) instead of choosing TPR or Kaplan (more in the $50 - $75 range), and I paid for it big time. Also, if you're going to use AO, definately supplement it with plenty of other things. If you're working and can't afford to spend many hours in front of books, these CDs are great to throw into the car and listen to on your commute. Also, definately take the practice tests. They are great indicators as to where your score will be when the real thing comes.

The first time I took them, about 4 weeks (during school though). The second time, 2 days after my April scores were released up until the day of the test (7 - 8 weeks). Studying years or months even in advanced just isn't my thing. It'd be like asking me to remember minute details of freshman year chemistry.... and if I could do that I would have done better on the MCAT!

Oh, and don't give up! I was so discouraged by my first score (24R), but with some serious studying, I managed to bring that up 10 points! Also, huge tip, know what's on the test! Don't just study blindly! (AO was great for telling me what I did and didn't need to know for the MCAT)

1.) Your individual scores and composite score
PS - 12. BS - 12. VR - 10. WS: O :(
Composite: 34O.

2.) The study method used for each section
PS: I used the Physics and Chemistry EK1001 workbooks. I did ALL the questions. No skipping every other, ALL. I bought the Kaplan lesson book for review or looking up formulas. I didn't read it like a text book. I found practice problems much more helpful. I listened to Audio Osmosis for Physics. I wrote down all the formulas I needed to know for Physics and Chemistry on the front of a single sheet of paper. There are just a few equations you have to memorize.

BS: Organic Chem EK1001. For biology I read the Kaplan book like a text book for stuff that I had forgotten like organology. For organic I read the section on spectroscopy and brushed up on major reactions like E1, E2, SN1, SN2 but no major reading. I also used the Gold Standard for Organic. I found that doing Organic problems in the EK1001 to be much more helpful. As I worked through them I wrote down basic rules I was picking up on, like anti-markovnikov, when stuff happens via E1, E2, SN1, or SN2, on the front of a single piece of paper. MCAT Organic looks pretty simplified when it's boiled down that way. If I find the paper I'll scan it and post it here. Again, I did not skip any problems. I listened to Audio Osmosis for some Organic. I felt pretty confident about my biology background which is why I didn't do much besides a little review.

VR: Nothing. I bought the EK1001 book but ran out of time since I started studying about a month before the test so I decided to focus on the sciences because I could make the biggest improvement in those sections. What a waste of money. :(

WS: Nothing. I didn't even do any practice essays. But I guess that reflects in my poor score. I really wish I would have dedicated more time to trying to improve my writing. But I paid for my negligence so I urge you to not make the same mistake I did.

3.) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Examkrackers workbooks, Audio Osmosis, Kaplan MCAT lesson book, Gold Standard lesson book, and all AAMC practice tests.

4.) Which practice tests did you use?
All AAMC practice tests and one Kaplan. I hated the Kaplan test.

5.) What was your undergraduate major?
Cell Biology

6.) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Please don't wait till the last minute to study and PLEASE DON'T LIE TO YOURSELF THAT YOU'RE STUDYING. After taking the April test I lied to myself that I was going to study. I'd keep the book open, occasionally read, and then watch movies or play video games. After July 4th, I had some sort of epiphany and really hit the books. Maybe it was because I knew the test was coming up soon. But I decided that studying the lesson book like a text book would be useless. It didn't help me for the April test so I did practice problem oriented studying. This really worked for me. Even if I didn't know how to do the problem I just tried to reason it out and then looked at the back of the book for the answer and then reason out the way they got it.

DO ALL PRACTICE TESTS. If you're running low on time take one every other day if you have to but those really help because they make you see the test in the proper light. That sounds stupid but you need to study and work in the context of the MCAT otherwise you're wasting time. Be very strict on yourself. This is as much a test of your mental ability as it is of your discipline. Focus is key. Work fast, work hard, work accurately. One of my goals was to work fast enough where I would have a minimum of 5 minutes remaining for each test. During the actual examination, this helped immensely because I was able to correct a few problems I had missed.

Also, read other people's advice for how to prepare for Verbal because I am a terrible example. I should have studied but didn't. My only suggestion is to read a lot to increase your speed and your comprehension.

7.) How long did you study for the MCAT?
About a month of real studying. 2 months of lying to myself.

Good luck to everyone! I went from 28 to 34! The only thing you can do is work hard so give yourself plenty of time so you don't rush yourself at the end and put yourself in hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.