30+ MCAT study habits???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

confewshz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked a zillion times, but I like to get fresh perspectives. For those who got 30+ MCAT scores(SouthernGirl, beanbean, JScrusader, Samoa, nero, and anyone else who has a 30+ MCAT score), can you post the following information please? It would be greatly appreciated.

1) Your individual scores and composite score

2) The study method used for each section

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

4) Which practice tests did you use?

5) What was your undergraduate major?

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?

Thanks guys and congrats to everyone who recently took the MCAT :clap: ,

confewshz

Members don't see this ad.

nir1009 said:
I used this strategy on Examkrackers 101 passages Test 7. Got a 10 (but just barely -- 45 Raw Score). I was getting a 44-45 raw score before also, so I don't know how much it helps. But I felt MUCH better about all of my answers and less pressed for time. Its worth a try. Thanks for the strategy!

No problem. I am not joking about the strategy. It really worked for me. You guys should try it a few times and see if it works for you too. When I took the MCAT 2 years ago, I went up 2 points from most of my practices after only trying it a few times. The problem I was having is not that I didn't have confidence in my answers, but I was pressed for time and always barely finished verbal before the time limit or didn't finish it. So, I would always rush the last 2 passages for time reasons. This strategy allowed me to finish the MCAT verbal with time to spare so I was doing better. You'll see that most of the time you waste on verbal is from trying to search the passage for material, but if you read one paragraph at a time, the material is in your short term memory, and if you forget it, there is only one paragraph to search so you save time. There is only a few holistic questions usually so you save these for last (unless the MCAT changed in 2 yrs, but I doubt it). Don't forget that on the real MCAT the questions are not in order, so you must quickly scan the questions for questions on your paragraph.

yanky5 said:
No problem. I am not joking about the strategy. It really worked for me. You guys should try it a few times and see if it works for you too. When I took the MCAT 2 years ago, I went up 2 points from most of my practices after only trying it a few times. The problem I was having is not that I didn't have confidence in my answers, but I was pressed for time and always barely finished verbal before the time limit or didn't finish it. So, I would always rush the last 2 passages for time reasons. This strategy allowed me to finish the MCAT verbal with time to spare so I was doing better. You'll see that most of the time you waste on verbal is from trying to search the passage for material, but if you read one paragraph at a time, the material is in your short term memory, and if you forget it, there is only one paragraph to search so you save time. There is only a few holistic questions usually so you save these for last (unless the MCAT changed in 2 yrs, but I doubt it). Don't forget that on the real MCAT the questions are not in order, so you must quickly scan the questions for questions on your paragraph.

I would sporadically go from like 5 to 9's. Now I'm consistent at 9-10's. Thanks for the strat. It really helps you stay on focus. I get a little jumbled when it comes to the main idea, or scope qeustions, but I know it'll just take a few more practice EK tests. So far, on two PR, and two Ek's, with the strat I've gotten a 10,10,11,9.

manfood.com said:
I would sporadically go from like 5 to 9's. Now I'm consistent at 9-10's. Thanks for the strat. It really helps you stay on focus. I get a little jumbled when it comes to the main idea, or scope qeustions, but I know it'll just take a few more practice EK tests. So far, on two PR, and two Ek's, with the strat I've gotten a 10,10,11,9.

i tried that strat with aamc 7 but it didn't do any miracles. for example, i would try to answer questions that felt like they were targeted toward the paragraph i was reading BUT in reality the ideas get contradicted in the next. so i have to keep reading the same question over again and loose focus on the overall feel of passage. dang, i think i need to keep trying but it still feels risky.

Members don't see this ad :)
sweetstuff25 said:
i tried that strat with aamc 7 but it didn't do any miracles. for example, i would try to answer questions that felt like they were targeted toward the paragraph i was reading BUT in reality the ideas get contradicted in the next. so i have to keep reading the same question over again and loose focus on the overall feel of passage. dang, i think i need to keep trying but it still feels risky.

totally understood. I felt that way too. That's why I would mark answers slowly as I figure out what would happen through out the paragraphs. When I could eliminate an answer, that would narrow things down without me ever having to go back and figure out the answer again, or even having to look for it.

Hey Im sure this has been posted before but I do need some insight. I began doing the EK MiniMCATS and am finding the verbal pretty damn hard. Im doing so so on the sciences, but not so hot on the verbal...

Anyone else struggling with the EK 16--also any previous users advice would be nice:)

Thanks

mj1878 said:
Whoever gave you this advice is full of $^*%. I had to go to part-time school, full-time(and more) at work, and it never even came up in the interview. Don't worry about it. Where oh where do premeds get their information?!

I now realize U.S. schools are much kinder than Canadian schools to non-trads. My advice was indeed very regionalized - my application was axed at four Canadian schools because of the part-time thing - yes, I asked and that was the reason, they refuse to count any part-time courses/grades (because it would be "comparing apples to oranges", in the word of one admissions officer). Despite my including a letter from my employer (a homeless shelter, no less) attesting that I was working 30-40 hours/week.

I respectfully refuse the characterization of my internal contents, but I did speak too soon.

trustwomen said:
I now realize U.S. schools are much kinder than Canadian schools to non-trads. My advice was indeed very regionalized - my application was axed at four Canadian schools because of the part-time thing - yes, I asked and that was the reason, they refuse to count any part-time courses/grades (because it would be "comparing apples to oranges", in the word of one admissions officer). Despite my including a letter from my employer (a homeless shelter, no less) attesting that I was working 30-40 hours/week.

I respectfully refuse the characterization of my internal contents, but I did speak too soon.

canadian schools are a bitch...especially ontario. someone needs to whoop their a$$es for being so strict.

Study habits? In the next week, I'm taking 12 diagnostic tests. I can do 3/day if I don't take the normal break times. I don't need much sleep until next Friday night either. Tuesday afternoon, I'm going to start reviewing all of my content books and doing more practice passages. For details about what I'm doing the morning of the test, check my other postings. On the last 2 AAMC diagnostics, I scored a 42, so I'm pretty much guaranteed to get at least that on the real MCAT. If I work hard enough, I can probably bring that up to a 43 or 44. If I get below a 40, I'll definitely be taking it again in August. Harvard doesn't like scores in the 30s. On my first practice test, I got a 38! I thought I was going to die! But I kept telling myself it was ok and that, if I kept working straight on through until the MCAT, I could improve by at least 4 points. If I end up with a 38 as my final score, I'll probably reconsider my career choice.

Best of luck with your studies,
Michael

confewshz said:
Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked a zillion times, but I like to get fresh perspectives. For those who got 30+ MCAT scores(SouthernGirl, beanbean, JScrusader, Samoa, nero, and anyone else who has a 30+ MCAT score), can you post the following information please? It would be greatly appreciated.

B:9 PS: 10 WR: 11 WS: L
buy the tests from AAMC, everything else is BS. ExamKrackers is color, color=good. Studied two months more or less, I took them in April so I studied hard core over spring break. I didn't take a class, that way I knew I could always say "Well, I didn't take one of those fancy review courses for rich kids with an extra 1,000 bucks laying around". Results: admitted five MD schools already, two more pending. Moral: Do what ever works for you

pre-med machine said:
Study habits? In the next week, I'm taking 12 diagnostic tests. I can do 3/day if I don't take the normal break times. I don't need much sleep until next Friday night either. Tuesday afternoon, I'm going to start reviewing all of my content books and doing more practice passages. For details about what I'm doing the morning of the test, check my other postings. On the last 2 AAMC diagnostics, I scored a 42, so I'm pretty much guaranteed to get at least that on the real MCAT. If I work hard enough, I can probably bring that up to a 43 or 44. If I get below a 40, I'll definitely be taking it again in August. Harvard doesn't like scores in the 30s. On my first practice test, I got a 38! I thought I was going to die! But I kept telling myself it was ok and that, if I kept working straight on through until the MCAT, I could improve by at least 4 points. If I end up with a 38 as my final score, I'll probably reconsider my career choice.

Best of luck with your studies,
Michael

intense

Nodelphi said:
I took the MCAT twice: April 2000 - 9V 8P 9B, Q = 26Q
April 2005 - 11V 11P 11B, R = 33R

I devoted two days a week to each section for two months, reserving my sundays for taking a practice exam. For the next month and a half I devoted two days each to the Physical sciences and the Biological sciences and the two days I had been devoting to verbal I devoted to summarizing and reviewing what I was studying in the P and B sections. I would still take a practice exam on sundays without exception. (This was the hardest part but I feel it helped more than anything else.)

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
I used some old Kaplan books and flashcards a coworker gave me. I bought most of the practice exams the AAMC offered.

See Above

Microbiology

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
I suggested this elsewhere but use a large children's pencil ("My First Pencil" sold at any office supply or children's school supply store), it really cut down on my bubbling time and gave me a little bit of extra time to go over my work at the end/go back to questions I guessed on. My highest practice test score was a 31 so I'm convinced it was the pencil that edged me into the 33. Maybe I'm just a freaky perfectionist and the time I thought I was saving with the big pencil was only psychological.

I studied for about 3 and 1/2 months pretty religeously (about 3 hours of study a day). I've been out of school for 5 years now and I work full time so it was rough spending so much time studying. It really does pay off though.

I just found the "My First Pencils" you were talking about, last night when I was at STAPLES. Woohoo. I bought them for 3 of my friends taking the test today and tested it out to see if it really does bubble faster. It sure did when I tested it vs. the smaller pencils. Good advice. I'll be buying more for me when I take the test in August.

Members don't see this ad :)
11V 13P 13B, S = 37S

TPR + prac tests. I used TPR classes to review all the content and the practice problems to fine tune everything. I also got all the AAMC practice tests and did those. For verbal i just did buttloads of practice passages. From the practice book, the 4 A-D tests, the aamc, onilne there were plenty of things for me to do.

see above

See Above

Bio + chinese

Ithink I was lucky with the fact for some reason I take tests really fast with a reasonable amount of accuracy so that really helped me in all the sections. I think i was ending with 20-30 minutes to spare on bio and maybe 10-20 for verbal. That really gave me a leg up since i could go back to tough problems and mull things over. I'm not sure if anyone is taking those onilne practice tests that gives you the read out but i think i was 55sec a question in verbal for one test so that was a good pace for me. I think it all comes down to being able to read fast and being sure of yourself when it comes to an answer. I tend not to dawdle over an answer for a long time, either i know it or i come back to it later. The more you think things over, the more unsure you are of your original answer and youve really wasted a lot of time trying to get 1 question when you could be answer a couple more.

Started around Mid-may, took the august2005.

OK. Don't take review classes. You take the MCAT by yourself, and if you are motivated to study by yourself you will also be motivated when you take the actual test. Look at it as a challenge. I got a 34 (11 PS, 13 VR, 10 BS) and S. ONE TIP: I ran out of time on both PS and BS, so watch out cause ur nerves can get the best of you on actual test day. I was a bit lucky in the end to be honest. UH, I got from 31-34 on the practice tests. But genarally your PS and BS marks from practice transfer to the real thing, the VR is the untangible, make or break mark. I slept well the night before which is a big factor for my VR I think. ALSO, POUND red bulls at every chance ya get through the test. I had 3 on test day. And a light, low fat lunch and snacks (nuts, raisins, etc.) Be confortable, thats the most important.

confewshz said:
Hello everyone,

Total: 40 S- PS: 14, VR: 12, BS: 14

PS and BS: Read Berkeley Review and EK books and made notecards of key terms and ideas, which I reviewed once a week. Spent 40% time studying/notetaking and 60% time doing practice problems.

Verbal: Did a reasonable amount of passages to get my speed and test taking skills down but once my scores leveled off I stopped doing them. Be sure to try and practice doing verbal sections whole sections at a time and not one or two reading passages and then taking a break. Half of the difficulty of the verbal is getting used to the endurance of reading for an extended period of time.

Berkeley Review Books, Exam Krackers, every other book you could imagine. I didnt read them all but I did do all the problems in them.

AAMC, PR, KAPLAN, BERKELEY REVIEW

Biochemistry

Practice passages, passages, passages, dont waste too much time just studying material like you would for a midterm. It took me a month to realize that it wasnt an effective way to use my time, but after that I just cracked down and at least 6 passages a day.

3 months. about 5 hours a day. I took only two classes that quarter and they were both easy ass classes. I set an overall time spent studying goal of 600 hours and actually reached it, I think setting goals like that will keep you on track, even if they do seem crazy at first. Once studying becomes part of the daily routine it really isnt that bad, plus its kinda nice to see the improvement on the passages as you go along and see things you recognize and realize you are making progress.

Best of luck to everyone.

Thanks guys and congrats to everyone who recently took the MCAT :clap: ,

confewshz

mega

Total: 34 S- PS: 11, VR: 13, BS: 10

PS and BS: Chem/Bio major. Relied on what I had learned. Read and took notes (thouroughly) on the whole Kaplan book. Did practice tests and analyzed HEAVILY any questions I got wrong. This takes time but will bump up your score. TRUST ME (my PS and BS arn't the highest, but I also freaked on the real test and ran out of time fyi, practice tests I got all PS 12's)

Verbal: The "intangible" factor. Hard to study. Gotta aim high. Read scientific american's (like 10 of em) and then move up and read some nature/cell articles. Read review articles. ANYTHING. The good thing is reading these things is a 2 for 1. You get more PS/BS info and improve your verbal skills. STOP DRINKING for 6 weeks before the test. SLEEP 8 hrs the night before. Pound red bulls at each break. Uh, yeah, thats it, and read alot, especially for fun during the whole study period. Reading should be your study breaks. I think the 13 backs this approach up (or maybe I just got lucky, your call). But it worked for me.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc).

All the AAMC tests (saved 3 of em in case I had to retake, buring em tonight) (J/K, I heard of some people who got arrested for this after the MCAT and got a criminal record, el oh el) And kaplan.

AAMC, USE NOTHING ELSE, except some topic tests. I mean if you have more time sure use other stuff, but AAMC will SOMEWHAT repeate themselves, so exposing yourself to these is the best way to go

Chemistry, Biology (genetics) and a math minor

Stop drinking, start sleeping. Leave the opposite sex alone for long enough to concentrate on your future for just a little while, even if it means locking yourself in your room, stop returning phone calls, etc. TRUST ME, the final result is worth it, and saying you got a 34 is a great way to pick up "classy" girls who know what it means.

3 months. 6 hrs/day. In a nice, sunny room with a great view. It was also in Sweden while I was abroad, so it was really good that I never could be distracted because a) I dont understand **** for what people are saying in Swedish b) there was snow outside from Jan - April

Again, other people might be more help for the PS/BS, but for VR I think my strat is solid. Also, for my high writing score, THE SECRET IS PLAY LOTS OF COMPUTER GAMES. haha, they taught me to type hella fast so when I took this on the computer I could write my essay faster than I could think it, so it just felt really relaxed/easy. Reach deep inside and don't freak out. While you write make "headers" for each area that you have to answer and then fill em in, and w/ 5 mins to go read and revise.
Best of luck to you all, thanks for reading my mini - essay

39O: 12v, 14p, 13b

examcrackers/kaplan textbooks to learn the stuff, 1001 books to drill it, text books to look up stuff i didnt know

examcrackers/kaplan textbooks to learn the stuff, 1001 books to drill it, text books to look up stuff i didnt know

took 4 aamc tests (35,35,36,37)

Bio w/neuro&behavior conc

all of winter break plus march&april

35S: 12PS, 13VR, 10BS, SWR

TPR course: I went to every class and did all the homework. I worked ahead on the homework so I'd have several weeks before the test in which I wouldn't be learning new material, but could just focus on my weak areas.

TPR

TPR diagnostics and AAMC 7 and 8

Bioengineering

I'm a retaker - I got a 26Q in August 2005. I used Examkrackers that time. TPR was worth every penny! Examkrackers is great if you already know the material well and just need a refresher and lots of practice with passages and problems. TPR, on the other hand, is wonderful if you are shaky on a lot of the material, which was my problem the first time I took it.

From January to April. I took 12 credits that semester rather than the usual 16 so I had extra time to study. I spent the vast majority of my free time studying for the MCAT.

1) 32 P:
PS: 11, VR: 11, BS: 10, Writing: P

2) I was mostly concerned about the Physical Science section. I re-read my gen-chem and physics texts, and worked through several Kaplan practice tests. For VR, I took some English lang classes to try to boost my comprehension. I think I worked through a half of a practice test. For BS, I took mammalian physiology, and molecular genetics this past spring. Biology is my weak spot in general, so it was helpful to have those classes fresh on my mind.

3-4) Just Kaplan practice tests.

5) Mathematics & Biochemistry

6) I should have taken the Kaplan course and adjusted my class schedule. I was taking 18 TOUGH credits this spring, and really had a hard time staying committed from Jan. to April because I was either busy or worn out from school. I think the Kaplan course would have forced me to stay accountable to study more consistantly. I did well, but I know I could have done better.

7) I spent probably ~3 hours/week on average from Jan to April. That's all I could afford.

VR:9 PS:14 BS:12 WS:Q

VR: They say you cannot really study for it, they are lying. First, get examkracker 101. practice like crazy and at the same time, get familiarized with hot resurfacing topics in the MCATs. To start, get to know more about american history, KT boundary, social problems, etc. I had a rough time as I am an international student from a non-english speaking background, but I managed to improve my score from a 6 to a 9.

For PS and BS, just take a prep course and go through school notes.

I use Kaplan for all sections except the verbal (their verbal practices are both demoralizing and unrealistic). Use Examkrackers for verbal reasoning. Definitely finish all AAMC practice exams.

AAMC and examkrackers

Electrical engineer

1 yr. But I have to balance between a full class load, volunteering and research.

you can do it!

chewsnuffles said:

Total: 34 S- PS: 11, VR: 13, BS: 10

PS and BS: Chem/Bio major. Relied on what I had learned. Read and took notes (thouroughly) on the whole Kaplan book. Did practice tests and analyzed HEAVILY any questions I got wrong. This takes time but will bump up your score. TRUST ME (my PS and BS arn't the highest, but I also freaked on the real test and ran out of time fyi, practice tests I got all PS 12's)

Verbal: The "intangible" factor. Hard to study. Gotta aim high. Read scientific american's (like 10 of em) and then move up and read some nature/cell articles. Read review articles. ANYTHING. The good thing is reading these things is a 2 for 1. You get more PS/BS info and improve your verbal skills. STOP DRINKING for 6 weeks before the test. SLEEP 8 hrs the night before. Pound red bulls at each break. Uh, yeah, thats it, and read alot, especially for fun during the whole study period. Reading should be your study breaks. I think the 13 backs this approach up (or maybe I just got lucky, your call). But it worked for me.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc).

All the AAMC tests (saved 3 of em in case I had to retake, buring em tonight) (J/K, I heard of some people who got arrested for this after the MCAT and got a criminal record, el oh el) And kaplan.

AAMC, USE NOTHING ELSE, except some topic tests. I mean if you have more time sure use other stuff, but AAMC will SOMEWHAT repeate themselves, so exposing yourself to these is the best way to go

Chemistry, Biology (genetics) and a math minor

Stop drinking, start sleeping. Leave the opposite sex alone for long enough to concentrate on your future for just a little while, even if it means locking yourself in your room, stop returning phone calls, etc. TRUST ME, the final result is worth it, and saying you got a 34 is a great way to pick up "classy" girls who know what it means.

3 months. 6 hrs/day. In a nice, sunny room with a great view. It was also in Sweden while I was abroad, so it was really good that I never could be distracted because a) I dont understand **** for what people are saying in Swedish b) there was snow outside from Jan - April

Again, other people might be more help for the PS/BS, but for VR I think my strat is solid. Also, for my high writing score, THE SECRET IS PLAY LOTS OF COMPUTER GAMES. haha, they taught me to type hella fast so when I took this on the computer I could write my essay faster than I could think it, so it just felt really relaxed/easy. Reach deep inside and don't freak out. While you write make "headers" for each area that you have to answer and then fill em in, and w/ 5 mins to go read and revise.
Best of luck to you all, thanks for reading my mini - essay

oh, and since this forum gets read alot if you want to read my PS statement, PM me now, I'll read yours. (after all I got an S, lol, I still think I'm a bad writer)
-Thanks in advance

14 14 14 O = 42

Verbal: didn't study. I've been an avid reader since childhood. Nothing Kaplan said ever seemed remotely useful.
Physical: I'm a physics grad student, so the physics problems weren't an issue, but I hadn't taken general chemistry in 10 years. I studied Kaplan's materials carefully for electrochemistry and other p-chem type issues. I had timing issues on this section up to the very end.
Biological: My real weak point. I read and outlined Kaplan's biology book and o-chem book. After outlining each chapter I memorized the flash cards that were associated with that chapter. They come in order, so that wasn't a pain in the butt. I ended up never looking at the outlines I'd made.
And here's probably the big thing I can say that might (or might not) be helpful: with about 10 days to go, I realized that I really wasn't prepared. I started doing either a BS or a PS section every day, and some days both, if I had time. I reviewed the section I'd done carefully and re-worked all the problems I'd missed.

see above

Lots of Kaplans. They had poorly written questions, but I was too lazy to leave the house and go to the Kaplan center to do AAMC's. I should emphasize: Kaplan's practice tests are especially badly written in the verbal sections. People having trouble with verbal should use something different.

Physics

• Work out your test day routine ahead of time, especially with a view to caffiene & water... the PS of a practice full-day exam was ruined by a grande filtered coffee. If that had been the real test, I would have hated myself.
  • Do lots of practice problems for content. Do as many practice sections as possible for timing
  • Read. Economist articles are good for when you have mental energy. For when you don't, I recommend Jane Austen, PD James, or anybody else who writes engaging story lines in elegant language.
  • I got lucky. An especially nasty gen chem section, or a timing issue on the PS similar to what I had on practices even 2 days previously, or a headache that morning, or one of any number of other things could have decreased my score. As fighter pilots say, it's better to be lucky than good.
  • Don't let SDN intimidate you. The average MCAT is much lower out in the real world. You do not have to luck out to the same degree that I did, in order to get into medical school.

Started in Jan for MCAT in Apr.

To those who got 10 or above on verbal_:
Which verbal practice exams should I try to tackle first:the EK or Kaplan? aside from AAMC of course. It seems that 101 Verbal EK's are very hard, and Kaplan is a little easier. EK have more tricky questions where Kaplan have more complicated passage test (it seems to me so far). Which ones are the closest to real AAMC materials?
I really would appreciate any feedback. thank you very much :)

PS 11 VR 11 BS 13 O => 35O

I made notecards for PS and BS topics that I didn't understand well or thought I needed more work on. For VR I used EK 101 which helped. I also tried to read the Economist and other magazines recommended by Kaplan but I didn't feel they were really helpful so I didn't bother with them. I printed out the subjects list from the AAMC website and went through it and made sure I understood most of the stuff listed.

I took all of the AAMC practice tests (3-9), 6 kaplan full lengths, plus more VR section tests. I took kaplan but I don't think it was worth the money.

See Q3

Biochemistry

Never give up even when you feel discouraged. Hard work will pay off. My highest practice score was a 32 and I got a 35 on the real thing! Don't worry about how other people are scoring, just do the best you can do. Take as many practice tests as you can and make sure you that you time yourself correctly. Try to get plenty of sleep the week/night before the exam. I don't recommend visiting SDN too often cuz somethings you read may scare you (they scared me at least). I think it's important to make the MCAT your priority the semester/summer you take it. Be strict with yourself about setting up a study schedule and stick to it. I think if you take the exam seriously and put your all into it you'll see your hard work pay off. That's about it I reckon...or at least all I can remember. Happy Studying and Good Luck. :) :) :)

I started studying in December after fall semester finals were over. I studied everyday up until 2 days before the April test. Some days I studied only a couple of hours and others I studied more than 10.

35Q - PS 13 V 09 BS 13

PS - Definitely try to get your hands on TPR's science workbook. I found this invaluable for the PS section.
Verbal - didnt really prepare, and it shows in my score
BS - EK's 1001 bio: this book is unbelievable. Went through it in its entirety about 3 times

I had the full set of EK (all 1001qs books too), Kaplan, and TPR, as well as AAMC 3-9

AAMC only

psychology/business mgt

get TPR's science workbook and EK's 1001 bio questions. Seriously that is all you need besides something for the verbal section perhaps.

started leisurely studying in november, really busted my ass starting in february.

PS 14 VR 13 BS 14 S => 41S

I'll admit I broke down and made flashcards for PS formulas and orgo reactions. However, I didn't really work a lot of problems outside of practice exams themselves. I just reviewed the theory until I felt pretty comfortable with it. On average, three nights a week I would look over my books, and then Sundays would be hardcore review or a practice exam. I didn't prep for VR as I've been a pretty active reader since I was young and seemed to always finish the section on time. This section seems like it's more innate than learnable, but if reading an Economist or Wall Street Journal cover to cover will boost your confidence, by all means go for it. I could never force myself to write a fake essay in isolation though, but wish I had done a few because I never write in my major and more importantly it would have given me peace of mind.

I borrowed Examkrackers from my local library over Christmas break just to see what I was getting myself into. They seemed to gloss over review, but looked like they had some excellent practice problems. Once Spring semester started though, I used an old set (2003) of Kaplan PS and BS review books (from the $1600 course), this time borrowed from an upperclass friend. I didn't have any of the work or lecture books though. I referred to my undergrad orgo and gen chem texts a few times, just because they were more familiar and had the detail to explain some exam questions.

All of the old AAMC practice tests (3-8), printed out, and on my own. I listend to the radio though, took time outs for phone calls, and started around noon in my own room. Bad idea. Wake up early, walk to a library, and take only the alotted breaks. This kind of simulation will work wonders on test day and is probably the best thing you'll get out of your $1000+ shelled out to test prep scaremongers.

Chemical Engineering.

Know that your hard work will pay off. You'll never think you've crammed enough, but walk into that test center confident that you did the best you could with the time you had and the abilities you've developed.

Get away from fellow pre-meds--especially gunners--those last few weeks. Everyone will be scoring 45s on practice exams and have time for nothing but study it will seem except you. I'm so thankful I'm not a BME or Bio major because come April, campus chatter was about nothing else.

Go at your own pace. An August exam the summer after your sophmore year would be ideal for this.

Try (though it will be hard) to lighten up during the process. Don't freak out about whether to drink water or gatorade the day of, forget about where to place a green dot, and realize there's always a next time. Instead of stressing about getting 12 hours of sleep, staying up to toast a friend's birthday with cognac on midnight before the beast was one of the best decisions I've made. Do what works for you to decompress...within reason.

That being said, realize that everyone thinks they tanked the real exam, no matter how high they had been scoring on practice or the months invested in preparing. The night before, I got about two hours of sleep. Morning of, I was dry heaving and couldn't finish a glass of juice. Come lunch time, I could barely down half a sandwhich. I'm usually the most relaxed person I know, but despite my best efforts to the contrary, my nerves just got the better of me. As far as the exam itself, I thought my writing was trite and that the BS was the hardest version I'd ever encountered. Yet two months later, I was stunned with how it turned out.

Last, realize admission comittees are looking for something other than simply a high score! There's plenty of other things you have going for you on your application.

Best of luck (not that you need it!) and I look forward to knowing you all as future classmates and colleagues!

32R

11 PS
12 VR
9 BS

PS: Took 3-4 timed Kaplan PS sections (in addition to the 5 from the Kaplan full-lengths). This is key. They are much, much harder than the real thing, but you NEED to torture yourself on PS. This way the AAMC tests and the real MCAT seem much easier. I can't stress this enough.

VR: The Kaplan mapping strategy is crap. Go with the EK method of reading the entire thing through without interuption. This way you get a better indication of the author's main idea and how the details support it. Also, 90% of the time going back to the passage is a waste of time. Go with your gut, and pick the answer choice that (1) answers the question and (2) relates most to the main idea of the passage. YOU MUST PURCHASE EK 101 PASSAGES IN VERBAL REASONING.

BS: Make flashcards about the basic topics. I did not have a single question on endocrine hormones on my form, but get to memorizing those out of the way early. A lot of Bio is reading comprehension, so do a lot of practice passages (Kaplan and EK are both good). I had a lot of randomly hard Orgo question, but don't spend too much time on it since they are phasing it out. Pick your weakest sections and focus on that.

Took the Kaplan Course. Used their practice questions and took their practice full-lenghts. Ignored their books.

Bought EK Physics and Bio, and EK 101 VR passages. Read those religiously.

Kaplan FLs 1-5, Kaplan FL PS sections 6-9

AAMC 7-9...CHECK YOUR SCHOOL LIBRARY FOR THESE. Kaplan gives their AAMC material to college libraries if the school is far away from a center (like mine). It will save you a ton of money.

Chemistry. Nailed the PS Chemistry, but I took for granted my knowledge of Orgo and got messed up on some of the stereochemistry (two passages of this on my form)

Started the Kaplan class in October, but didn't start studying hardcore until January. I did about 1-2 hours a day for 4 months.

I also posted this awhile ago, but I'll repeat it here.

1. Believe in EK, but don't rely too much on Audio Osmosis

After sampling a bit of Kaplan, TPR, and EK, I have come to the conclusion that EK makes the best MCAT prep material, bar none. The books cover what you need to know, and are written in such a way that you will remember the material. However, don't go too nuts about Audio Osmosis. It's a great product, but it's not "complete MCAT preparation" as they boast on the CDs. It's good for going over material when you're walking to class or in the car, but it's not substitute for book studying and practice problem. It's worth buying however, because even though it's pricey, you can very likely get most of the money back if you re-sell it on Amazon or eBay.

However, one thing to keep in mind is that EK also thinks they are the best. I don't know the exact stats, but I'm rather confident that they are still 3rd to Kaplan and TPR in total profitability and popularity. They thus overcompensate by putting down other test prep companies. However, I still think Kaplan and TPR have tremendous value, if only for their wealth of practice material. EK likes to boast that they are the best, but don't limit yourself to what they have to say.

1A. If you only buy one MCAT prep book, make it EK's 101 Passages in Verbal Reasoning.

And do all of them. My scores on practice tests went up significantly because of this book. Use whatever strategy you are most comfortable with, just make sure you practice with this book. There really isn't much more to say about verbal than that.

2. Get AAMC practice tests however you can.

This has been beaten to death on this forum, so I won't go into too much detail. However, one thing I should mention: Kaplan gives AAMC material to college libraries. I discovered this before nearly spending $40 on AAMC 9. Kaplan claims it's only for Kaplan students, but I was able to get the AAMC material on reserve with only my school ID. This isn't true for all colleges, but it's worth looking into. I have a feeling they do this with schools that are far away from Kaplan centers.

3. Take as many Kaplan Full-Lengths as you can, even those dreaded PS sections.

For the most part, Kaplan Full-Lengths are not representative of the actual MCAT, but that doesn't mean they are not worth doing. They make the PS sections super hard for a reason. I took AAMC 8 PS and thought it was a breeze. It really boosts your confidence when you take an AAMC test after a Kaplan Full-Length. Trust me on this.

4. Ignore other people's scoring trends posted in this forum.

Everyone is different. Getting hyped about other people's performance just make you more anxious and less confident.

5. If you don't like studying in groups, don't feel obligated to.

I hate studying in groups. It just makes me nervous that other people know more than me. If you are in the same boat, don't feel that you're at a disadvantage if you're not in a study group. This is just a matter of personal preference.

And the most important lesson I learned...

6. Studying for the MCAT is not about learning the material. It's about building confidence.

A little vague, but very true. No matter how long you study, you will not know everything. Instead, you should be trying to study so that you have the right attitude going into the test. This means taking practice tests, and not stressing out. It's tough to grasp at first, but I think this is the most crucial element to MCAT studying.

38O - 14 Physical Science, 12 Verbal, 12 Biological Science - April 2006

Physical sciences and Biological sciences: I made flashcards! TONS of them for most equations, reactions, biological process, and cards on how to solve certain tricky physical science problems. I also did ALL the practice problems in the Princeton Review books. In total I had around 700-800 flashcards. Then I memorized them to the largest extent possible.

Verbal: Did all the passages in Princeton Review books.

Writing: Read the Kaplan method regarding the Writing sample two days before the exam

I used Princeton Review books for all sections to make flashcards and to go through practice problems. I signed up for Princeton Review course(waste of freakin money) and used Kaplan and examkracker material as well.

I took 5 Kaplan full length practice tests (1-5), 2 Princeton Review Tests, one ExamKrackers test, and 5 AAMC tests (3, 6, 7, 8, 9).

Psychology

I started studying mid December for the April exam. I went through about a chapter every day or two. I made flashcards for a chapter and did all the Princeton Review problems for that chapter. I did this until the first week of March. I took three practice tests (AAMC3, 2 TPR) during this flashcard making time. Then I started to memorize flashcards. I'd go through one third of my flashcards daily until April 20th ish. Also, starting end of March, I took a practice test every 2 days.

So basically, I studied about 2 hrs a day, 5-6 days a week from December till end of March. When I was doing practice tests, it was 6 hrs on one day for tests, and 1 hr the next day to review test answers.

Start preparing for the test at minimum 3 months before. I studied for 4 months and maybe even 5 would have been better. Because I studied for a longer time, I could space things out and still enjoy life while studying less hrs per day . I still had classes, worked, partied, etc. during my study period. Even attended a frat retreat 2 weeks before the test. Although I took EASY ASS classes winter quarter (0 Science classes). I would recommend this if it is possible. But yeah I didnt put my life on hold to study, which would not have been possible if I had only studied for two months.

Try to finish studying 2-4 weeks before the exam and solely take full length practice tests for that period of time and get used to length of the test and build up your mental endurance.

Good luck to anyone taking the August exam. And remember its more about study efficiency than study time.

Ginkneephur said:
PS 11 VR 11 BS 13 O => 35O

I made notecards for PS and BS topics that I didn't understand well or thought I needed more work on. For VR I used EK 101 which helped. I also tried to read the Economist and other magazines recommended by Kaplan but I didn't feel they were really helpful so I didn't bother with them. I printed out the subjects list from the AAMC website and went through it and made sure I understood most of the stuff listed.

I took all of the AAMC practice tests (3-9), 6 kaplan full lengths, plus more VR section tests. I took kaplan but I don't think it was worth the money.

See Q3

Biochemistry

Never give up even when you feel discouraged. Hard work will pay off. My highest practice score was a 32 and I got a 35 on the real thing! Don't worry about how other people are scoring, just do the best you can do. Take as many practice tests as you can and make sure you that you time yourself correctly. Try to get plenty of sleep the week/night before the exam. I don't recommend visiting SDN too often cuz somethings you read may scare you (they scared me at least). I think it's important to make the MCAT your priority the semester/summer you take it. Be strict with yourself about setting up a study schedule and stick to it. I think if you take the exam seriously and put your all into it you'll see your hard work pay off. That's about it I reckon...or at least all I can remember. Happy Studying and Good Luck. :) :) :)

I started studying in December after fall semester finals were over. I studied everyday up until 2 days before the April test. Some days I studied only a couple of hours and others I studied more than 10.

Ginkneephur,

Hi I was just reading your profile and wanted to say that everything looked good but the one thing I'd work on a little bit if you have time now is to volunteer or do some sort of clinical experience stuff and list it as ongoing in your application. Just saying this so you have got your basis covered for the applications.

Other then that I think you'll have a good shot at the Fl. schools. Yay to floridians!!!!!! :D :D :D

Vizious said:
38O - 14 Physical Science, 12 Verbal, 12 Biological Science - April 2006

Physical sciences and Biological sciences: I made flashcards! TONS of them for most equations, reactions, biological process, and cards on how to solve certain tricky physical science problems. I also did ALL the practice problems in the Princeton Review books. In total I had around 700-800 flashcards. Then I memorized them to the largest extent possible.

Verbal: Did all the passages in Princeton Review books.

Writing: Read the Kaplan method regarding the Writing sample two days before the exam

I used Princeton Review books for all sections to make flashcards and to go through practice problems. I signed up for Princeton Review course(waste of freakin money) and used Kaplan and examkracker material as well.

I took 5 Kaplan full length practice tests (1-5), 2 Princeton Review Tests, one ExamKrackers test, and 5 AAMC tests (3, 6, 7, 8, 9).

Psychology

I started studying mid December for the April exam. I went through about a chapter every day or two. I made flashcards for a chapter and did all the Princeton Review problems for that chapter. I did this until the first week of March. I took three practice tests (AAMC3, 2 TPR) during this flashcard making time. Then I started to memorize flashcards. I'd go through one third of my flashcards daily until April 20th ish. Also, starting end of March, I took a practice test every 2 days.

So basically, I studied about 2 hrs a day, 5-6 days a week from December till end of March. When I was doing practice tests, it was 6 hrs on one day for tests, and 1 hr the next day to review test answers.

Start preparing for the test at minimum 3 months before. I studied for 4 months and maybe even 5 would have been better. Because I studied for a longer time, I could space things out and still enjoy life while studying less hrs per day . I still had classes, worked, partied, etc. during my study period. Even attended a frat retreat 2 weeks before the test. Although I took EASY ASS classes winter quarter (0 Science classes). I would recommend this if it is possible. But yeah I didnt put my life on hold to study, which would not have been possible if I had only studied for two months.

Try to finish studying 2-4 weeks before the exam and solely take full length practice tests for that period of time and get used to length of the test and build up your mental endurance.

Good luck to anyone taking the August exam. And remember its more about study efficiency than study time.

Hey are you gonna update your profile with your MCAT score and where you are applying??????

Your individual scores and composite score
35R: PS=12, VR=12, WS=R, BS=11

Kaplan classroom course... although in retrospect, I could of gotten away with the on-line one... really, once you get the stuff and actually use it, you're golden... the classroom time doesn't add much
PS: content, content, content... PS is harder to "BS" your way through by relying on the passage... you really need to know your stuff to get the questions right... so content review is key
VR: passages, passages, passages... and passages and passages. After a while, you'll be able to eliminate wrong answers before you even read the passage! There's definitely a pattern... your mission is to find it.
BS: this, to me, is the big 'critical thinking' chunk of the MCAT- more than PS, you'll get passages about stuff you've never seen (especially if you're not a science major) and have to extrapolate and sythesize... dissecting the passages is key- so knock out a bunch of them

I followed my Kaplan syllabus to the letter... did all the homework, read all the chapters, took all the tests... and then went back and re-took some... used all the little strategies (except the dot, of course)... I was the perfect little Kaplan clone

All 5 Kaplan full-lengths... plus #11R just for giggles... and AAMC 3R-9

Psychology... which actually came in handy on a few research study VR passages

January-April... classroom time was 9 hours a week... and I aimed for an average of 10 hours per week after that

Make the MCAT your life. Live, breathe, dream MCAT. Forgo your social life for 3 months. Give your friends the heads up. Throwing yourself into this thing once is a better use of your time than half-assing it twice. And, for those of you freaking out about your diagnostic... mine was a 21. No worries and good luck!!

38Q: PS=14, VR=11, WS=Q, BS=13

Just studied all on my own.

I used a Peterson book, but that didn't really help.

I did do every single AAMC exam that is offered...that helps a LOT!!!!

Pre-med

Studied approx. 2 weeks before the exam...basically took a full length AAMC test a day.

I didn't have to do much "studying" because most of the material that was on the MCAT I had just finished the courses covering them that semester. But, I took lots of pratice AAMC tests....don't use any other testing companies practice exams because they are NOT AT ALL like the real exam...last bit of advice, don't feel too bad (or good) coming out of the exam, because you never know what the curve will be.

CopperStripes said:
35S: 12PS, 13VR, 10BS, SWR

TPR course: I went to every class and did all the homework. I worked ahead on the homework so I'd have several weeks before the test in which I wouldn't be learning new material, but could just focus on my weak areas.

TPR

TPR diagnostics and AAMC 7 and 8

Bioengineering

I'm a retaker - I got a 26Q in August 2005. I used Examkrackers that time. TPR was worth every penny! Examkrackers is great if you already know the material well and just need a refresher and lots of practice with passages and problems. TPR, on the other hand, is wonderful if you are shaky on a lot of the material, which was my problem the first time I took it.

From January to April. I took 12 credits that semester rather than the usual 16 so I had extra time to study. I spent the vast majority of my free time studying for the MCAT.
Hi,
I'm contemplating taking TPR class also, only because I too need more detailed review (re learn) So is the class really worth it, or the online is just as good? Can you tell me a little more about it?

37P (11VR, 13PS, 13BS)

I didn’t take a prep course (will set me back at least $1300), and studied on my own (cost of material: $250) while working full-time in a lab:

* Verbal: Practice and review. I started with mostly 8s and 9s on AAMC tests, guessing on almost every third question. I first followed EK's advice -- just read through it and try to come up with a main point -- but I noticed that my mind was not focused when I read, so eventually, I combined all the different advice and formed my own verbal strategy. I like EK's 5-second break so I do that before I start reading. Once I start, I use my pen to guide my eyes, and underline and circle keywords -- this helps me stay focused on what I am reading and actively take in the information. I summarize the passage before I start answering the questions, then I follow EK strategy -- watch out for overconfident answers, try to get clues from the answer, etc.

* Physical Sciences: I just studied from EK and come up with my little formula/summary flash card for each topic. I go over these index cards to make sure I can explain everything on it.

* Biological Sciences: I studied from EK. I made flash cards for hard-to-memorize sections such as the endocrine system, and review them often. As for orgo, there were too much material to review so I had to trust EK.

* Writing Sample: I only practice these when doing the AAMC tests. No special preparations, though I do semi-follow Kaplan’s suggestion and write an outline first.

3) What materials you used for each section (Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

* Examkrackers for all subjects
* AAMC 3R-9 (essential! I took all of them under timed conditions.)
* Examkrackers verbal full-lengths (I did 4.5 out of 11)
* Kaplan course books for 2005 (borrowed from friend. I thumbed through them but there were way way way too much info)
* Kaplan review from 2000 (read through and highlighted some – the content is pretty much the same from my friend’s course)
* Examkrackers 16 mini-MCAT (Ended up doing 1.5 of these. They were difficult and they would’ve been helpful if I had more time on my hand).

AAMC 3R through 9 and nothing else. Make sure you review your answers carefully some time afterwards. I found that it sometimes take me a few nights (1-2 hours per night) to get through them afterwards. Vow not to make the same mistakes the next time you see the same topic.
Look through the score report (if you have the online subscription) and keep track of where your weaknesses are. Focus on those areas the week before the test. You’ll feel a lot more confident walking into the test.
I took a free Kaplan diagnostic in March after two months of studying and a few AAMC tests – I found the Kaplan test nothing like the AAMC. The style of the passage, the phrasing of the question, the difficulty level and amount of detail – Kaplan got it all wrong.

Molecular biology and biochemistry.

It is possible to prepare for the MCAT on your own even if you’re working full-time. Many people told me it’s impossible, but I did it. The MCAT is just the first hurdle to get through in the coming years.

I started slowly reviewing materials in December, reading a chapter or two from my old Kaplan (from 2000) each week – focusing on gen chem and orgo. Over Christmas break (had 2 weeks off from work), I reviewed a bit more vigorously but in less detail – 1-2 chapters a day for all subjects (mainly bio and physics). The only subject I managed to finish reviewing in this way was gen chem. I was only about 2/3 through for the other subjects. I didn’t focus on memorizing anything this time around, but simply tried to refresh my memory and get a broad idea of what’s tested.

In January, I started to loosely follow the Examkracker 10-week home study schedule. Of course, I couldn’t stick to it so I kept pushing everything back. The only thing I did not neglect was taking practice tests religiously and reviewing it. However, I didn’t feel the heat until the end of March. Even though I started the 10-week schedule back in January, I was then a few days behind already, so I threw the schedule out the window and just tried to finish going through everything. I was working 2-hour days the week before MCAT, and I finally finished studying the Tuesday before MCAT. I took my last AAMC practice test that Wednesday. For the last two days, I went over all my past AAMC tests and found and ranked my weaknesses. Going down the list for each subject, I went back to EK book to pinpoint my problem. I also went to Kaplan course books for more detail. Even though my AAMC avg was around 32 (range 30-36), I give credit to this final exercise for boosting my score to an all-time high.

PM me if you have questions. Good luck all! :luck:

34L (12 VR, 11 PS, 11 BS)

Verbal: I can't say I really studied it, it was always the easiest section for me. I've loved to read for as long as I can remember and am a very fast reader, so I never had any problems with it. I used the EK method (reading for the whole idea). Obviously I did the verbal section when I took practice tests, but other than that I didn't do any other practice passages or anything.

Physical: I started reading through the Kaplan material, but that didn't hold my interest, so I read through the EK review books and did the questions during the chapters (but I didn't take the end of chapter exams). I didn't take any notes, do any flashcards, etc. I really didn't do many problems outside of the practice tests. One thing that I did find helpful was I went through EK's section on mental math/estimating (which I think was in the verbal reasoning book, which is kind of weird), and that really helped. My mental math sucked - it took me awhile to do and wasn't always accurate, so that was a huge help.

Biological: Similar to the physical section, started reading the Kaplan material and didn't like it, so I read the EK books. Again, did the questions in the chapters but not end of chapter exams. I went back and re-read some of the sections that required lots of memorization (hormones, nephron, etc). Also didn't do many practice passages outside of practice tests.

Writing: Don't know why you'd want my advice on this, but I didn't do any practice. Only did the writing samples during the proctored Kaplan tests.

Overall, I really didn't have any special study method, I actually liked the passage format of the questions, so I found it really easy to get used to.

Like I mentioned before, I started out with the Kaplan stuff and ended up using EK.

EK #1g (parts of it, I got sick halfway through the PS section cause I was trying to do it on a train, so I didn't score that part); Kaplan full-lengths 2, 3, 4, and 5; and AAMC 9. If I did it again, I would have done at least one more AAMC test.

Kinesiology

Get comfortable with the conditions of the test. A huge portion of the test if having the stamina to make it through. If you have test-taking anxiety, you need to get rid of it before the first exam. Make sure you take your practice tests in conditions like the real one - no cheating on timing, taking extra long breaks, etc. With the Kaplan class we had proctored tests the final four Saturdays before the real thing, so when the actual day came around it was just business as usual.

Make sure you have a routine down as well. At least the last week before the actual day (maybe longer if you have trouble adjusting) get used to going to bed and waking up at the times you will need to for the real thing. When you spend a day to take a practice test, have the same breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc that you will have on the real day. And double and triple check the night before you leave that you have everything for the next day (ID, admission ticket, pens, pencils, etc) because you don't want to be stressed out over something stupid. I had ZERO anxiety when I took the test, and I think a huge part of that was because it was exactly the same as what I had done before.

Finally, the day or two before the test - relax! On Friday my roommates refused to let me study (I tried to glance over hormones one more time, but they wouldn't let me), and that night we hung out together and watched a hockey game (we're all huge hockey fans). And make sure you get a good nights sleep.

Um, I think that's all, I've probably rambled on for long enough.

I said I was going to start studying over winter break, but that didn't really happen. I skimmed through a couple of chapters of Kaplan and got bored. So I started actually studying in mid-January, when the Kaplan class started. Up until spring break I read through (or did my best to) the chapters that were assigned, but I rarely had enough time to do any problems. Over spring break (early March) I got really serious. My EK books arrived right before break, so I went through both the Physics and Gen Chem books over break. Then once school started again it probably took me a few weeks to finish the other books. I finished studying just about a week before the test, took the AAMC test the weekend before, and just reviewed the hard to memorize stuff that didn't stick in my head (damn hormones!) the week before.

If anyone has any questions or is looking for advice, feel free to PM me!

41Q - VR 13, PS 14, BS 14

VR: English major so this was my best score out of the gate. Worked through EK 101 which is the best prep in my opinion (If you're having problems in this section, try a philosophy class. It will teach you how to think and read critically)
PS & BS: EK books and 1001 to solidify stuff I didn't know. Subforum is helpful as well (Poor Q & Nutmeg basically taught me electrochemistry :laugh:)

EK and Audio Osmosis exclusively. I used AAMC exams as well.

AAMCs and some Kaplan I bought on ebay.

English Literature/Psychology and a minor in Religion

Practice, practice, practice. Make sure you're doing it in real conditions to get used to it. Then review, review, review. Your practice exams will do a ton to boost your score. Don't just memorize the answers. Attempt to understand the logic behind the MCAT.
People will tell you to memorize a bunch of details. That's garbage. Learn how to think and synthesize new information. Most of the detailed knowledge you will need is in the passage, all you need to know is how to apply that information within a scientific framework.
If you have trouble staying on a schedule, take a course. If you're self-motivated, don't waste the money. EK is a better review and much cheaper than paying for a course.
And again, if you're early in your college career, take a philosophy course. I think you'll be surprised how much it really will help.

At least an hour a day for 5 months. Around 13 practice exams.

32R - VR 11, PS 11, BS 10

The study method used for each section
Reading from my "Gold Standard" text for Science, reading the newspaper for VR. Started ~2months prior to the exam, for say 45min a day (my subway commute).

What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
I got "The Gold Standard MCAT" for christmas and used it exclusively.

Which practice tests did you use?
I used the three practice tests in the back of the "Gold Standard" and the free online one from the AAMC.

What was your undergraduate major?
Physics and Math

Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Best advice is practice your weakest area until you're sick of it, then do it a bit more. I have never taken an organic chemistry course and just decided to wing it on the MCAT...bad idea. I had all sorts of questions on it, and I probably turned a 14 on BS into a 10. I regret not doing more practice tests, as I think they are really the best way to gauge how prepared you are. If I were to do it again, I would probably pay up for some extra ones and do say 1 a week for the month before, taking the time inbetween to review whatever had tripped me up.

All that being said, you can still end up with a solid score without having to go too crazy. I probably couldn't give you the IUPAC name of any compound on the test correctly or be able to tell you how any mechanisms work today, but a little common sense goes a long way. All I needed was 9/9/9 N for my school of choice here in Canada, so I think my effort/score balance was appropriate for me.

How long did you study for the MCAT?
45min a day for 2 months leading up to the exam. Left work early on the Friday to do some last minute review.

33N - VR 13, PS 10, BS 10

Taking practice tests and teaching.

AAMC tests.

AAMC tests.

Music, Psychology, Political Science. Yes, they were all majors.

If you don't have any money to pay for a course (or you just refuse), I would suggest teaching. Instead of paying $1K for a course, I got paid $6K to teach. It was really helpful, because I really felt like I had to be responsible for the material and I kept having to re-phrase concepts and come up with different analogies for my students. For verbal, I took time to read non-science stuff. If I could have done it again, I would have studied a little more on my own for the sciences because I think that I could have done a little better.

I started taking AAMC tests once per week about 4 weeks before the MCAT.

36Q 14 PS 12 BS 10 V

Practice Practice Practice (going over the material until I was sick of it)

All Kaplan resources were used (past exams, subject tests, topicals, etc)

Kaplan tests and a couple recent AAMC

Economics @ Northwestern University

-Make the MCAT your main priority. You should be studying the material a lot -- definitely a couple hours a day if you can. Also, take a course and use ALL of their materials.

4 months -- 2-3 hours/day

The test can be conquered. Just make sure you are very familiar with the material and the test itself. Some people don't need to practice alot but a good rule of thumb is that the more you do the better score you will earn.

38Q 13PS 12VR 13BS

Used EK mainly to study from. During Spring break I got the Kaplan Big Book from the library and read through that rather quickly just to get a different perspective.

For EK, I followed the home study schedule, but broke it up so that each week would take about 2 weeks to do since I didn't have that much time each night to go through it. I did the prereading before reading the lectures more indepthly since it helps me to learn more that way because I've seen the information at a more superficial level before looking at it indepthly. I also did the mini-MCATs and 1001 questions. I know that people are torn on the 1001 questions on this forum, but I found that they helped me go through the problems quicker (especially in the PS section) since I was testing myself without having any passage information to rely on for help. After doing those, then I once again read through the lectures. It helped me retain the information that I was questionable on with the 1001 questions and mini-MCATs.

My biggest advice for verbal is to get the EK Verbal book and the 101 Passages book and follow their method for looking over the tests you had just took (lecture 4). Rather than looking at the solutions at the end of the verbal test, go through the test as EK says. That way is a more active way of going through it and getting into the mind of the test writers rather than just passively reading the questions. It's important that you can rationalize to yourself why the correct answer is what it is and why the other ones are wrong. I had been scoring consistently 9s on that section and didn't start working through it the EK way until about a month or two before the test. Though my practice scores didn't really get higher, I was more confident while taking the test, and then I hit that 12 on the verbal on the real thing.

AAMC practice tests, EK books (lectures, mini-MCATs, 101 Passages, 1001 questions, Kaplan Big Book (briefly), Kaplan MCAT 45

AAMC and the two tests in the Kaplan Practice test booklet

Biology and Psychology double major

At least a week before the test, get yourself into a good sleeping schedule. I had to get up at 5:30 to be able to get to the test on time and I wouldn't have been able to be awake for the test if I wasn't already used to getting up that early. I started easing myself into that schedule two weeks before by getting up a little earlier each day.

Also, eat healthy and exercise. I like to exercise right away in the morning and it helped me concentration throughout the day.

And while studying, it's good to have a schedule planned out and written down about what you are going to do each day. It helps to stay focused on what you want to accomplish by when. I also only set aside the night time for studying for the MCAT. I had a few night labs last semester and I'd study from after I got back from class until I went to bed. I made sure to get everything else done during the day so that time would be set aside for the MCAT.

I started in November before it, but with 19 credits that semester I really didn't have a chance to really study too much. I started really getting into it after winter break. I think that I probably studied about 10-12 hours a week from January to the Wednesday before the test. I lightened up the last week and had two full days without doing anything related to it and I think that made a difference.

Good luck :luck:

mcat_study said:
To those who got 10 or above on verbal_:
Which verbal practice exams should I try to tackle first:the EK or Kaplan? aside from AAMC of course. It seems that 101 Verbal EK's are very hard, and Kaplan is a little easier. EK have more tricky questions where Kaplan have more complicated passage test (it seems to me so far). Which ones are the closest to real AAMC materials?
I really would appreciate any feedback. thank you very much :)

EK is much better. Kaplan felt a little off.

31R 13V, 9P, 9B

I'd been out of school, so the summer before I worked through Flowers and Silver for a thorough review. And then in February I started the EK system (including AO) I only used AAMC practice tests for full length self-tests. I bought all of them.

See above.

All the AAMC available

History

Even if you're a good test-taker, the MCAT can be intimidating. I'd say. have a plan for getting sleep the night before and possible sickness (both did me in). Also, maybe take up prayer or meditation. I'm a really confident tester, but the MCAT is sooooo stressful.

4 months -- 20 hours/week plus the summer before for pre-review

For those with kids: study after they go to bed and during naps. Short intense bursts of studying really help. Also, try to get someone to watch them on the weekend. My parents took them for 9 hours each Sunday so I could do practice tests. Don't let bad practice scores get you down if you're tired from the kids (but make sure you sleep the night before the real deal!) It's only 3 or 4 months out of your life, so ask your spouse to sort of put the marriage on hold and just obsess on studying. Honestly, damage can be repaired later. Lose the guilt. You're doing this for them, after all, right? For the orgo, make up sheets/flash cards that can be studied while watching the kids. And get Audio Osmosis! Listen to it in the car. It's invaluable. Go non-trads! :thumbup:

36P 12,12,12

Making flash cards from EK books for everything, and verbal is just about taking practice AAMC exams.

All EK Books, and all of the 1001 EK boks, as well as AAMC exams 3-7 or 3-8, I forget how many I got to. I also used the EK 16 practice exams book. I say get all of the books and do as much as you can, but it's just about impossible (and unnecessary) to finish everything.

See above.

Biology & Society

Sleep a lot, try to work out or run or do something to get your mind off studying for some time every day. The number one piece of advice is do as many practice exams as you can find (preferably the AAMC ones). You will improve more than you can by studying otherwise. Flashcards will fill in the rote memorization portion of learning. I didn't study at all for the writing sample, and I'm sure if I had I would've done better.

One college semester (a few months) basically nonstop, including over Spring break. I didn't go out more than once every 2 weeks or so. It was all MCAT all the time, although whenever I felt like it was too much, I took naps or watched the Daily show or something. Make sure you don't burn out by vedging out when you feel tired.

VR: 12, PS: 13, BS: 11 = 36R

Sciences are pretty straight foward - I read the TPR chapters and then a few days later did the homework. Verbal, I practiced different techniques, about 4 weeks out settled on one I liked. Other than that all you can do is learn the method (I liked TPRs) well the first few weeks and then practice as many full length verbal tests as possible.

I took the TPR class in Palo Alto, CA. All the teachers were great except one, he was replaced after the 3 weeks of complaints from 5-6 students by an incredible teacher -- lesson is COMPLAIN LOUDLY and TPR responds. Materials from TPR were great. I also used the EK verbal 101 book. It was probably the closest approximation to the real test, but definitely harder. If nothing else it was nice to have extra full length verbal practice tests.

Economics and psychology, going to a liberal arts school was probably the most helpful though.

0) Almost forgot - DEFINITELY checkout Shrike's advice about how to approach the PS & BS sections, its a little uncomfortable but ABSOLUTELY the way to go.
1) Take no/few classes that semester if possible. It's worth it.
2) Study 20-30 hours/week for at least two months, work on your weaknesses, I have a bad memory so I used flash cards for the sciences.
3) Most people have trouble improving their verbal score. Start early, read the Economist or SciAm and practice tons of full length tests.
4) Confidence is a big issue for many people. Make sure that on test day you can say that you've done everything you needed to do. That said, its just one test, not a big deal in hindsight.
5) This test has become MORE and MORE about reasoning and less about memorizing. Keep that and mind, you'll see the trend as you take the AAMC practice tests. Realize that you can not know every little detail and still do very well -- doesn't mean you shouldn't memorize though...
6) Try to sleep enough, don't worry if you can't. Several studies have shown the sleep deprived doing just fine. I only slept 5 hours for several days before just from the anxiety, woke up at 5am on test day.

~3 months, ~30 hours/week the last two months. I'd say I was ready about 2 weeks early but confidence is a big part of the test so err on the side of overpreparing.

8) History of practice test performance (cuz I know I looked for this everywhere when I was studying)
This is in chronological order, though I forget some dates:
AAMC 3r: 31 (untimed, but didn't take too much more time)

TPRs:
4911 5,8,9 = 22 (I think its designed to get your ass in gear)
4921 7,9,10 = 25
4931 10,9,10 = 29

4R 3/24/06 total: 34
PS: 65/77 = 11
VR: 53:60 = 11
BS: 66/77 = 12

5R 3/28/06 total: 36
PS: 68/77 = 12
VR: 51/60 = 11
BS: 70/77 = 13

9 4/1/06 total: 33
PS: 68/77 = 12
VR: 46/60 = 9
BS: 66/77 =12

8R 4/8/06 total: 34
I think it was PS: 11, VR: 11, BS: 12

7R 4/15/06 total: 35

Form CH 4/22/06 total: 36R
PS: 13
VR: 12
BS: 11
- As you can see, as high as the best of my practice scores, different distribution, can't complain.

I think I also averaged about a 47 (10 scaled) on the EK 101 verbal tests, I though they were harder than the real thing and the AAMC practice tests.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. It is possible for a non-science major, non-trad, non-genius to score well!

31O - VR 8, PS 11, BS 12

I studied as much as possible 4-5 hrs typically/day

TPR, Examkrackers and AAMC (practice test)

AACM and TPR, also used the mini-MCATs from Examkrackers

Electrical Engineering

Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Pick your weakest subject and practice it the most, till your sick of it. Since I am a non-trad I really had to relearn alot of the basics of chem and physics, so I spent alot of time reteaching myself those concepts. Also, do as many practice problems as you can find. I went through the entire science workbook of TPR. My first practice exam I ever too I got a 20 on so 31 is quite an improvement.

Make sure you also get a GOOD nites sleep the nite before. Do whatever you can to ensure your fresh and ready for the test that morning.

From Feb, March and through April I studied about 4-5 hrs per day, sometimes longer.

33Q- 12VR, 10PS, 11BS

After taking the test on my own and not doing so well, I decided to take a Kaplan course. It really paid off! Not only do I have a good score, I am an instructor for Kaplan now. What really made the difference was the sheer number of practice tests I did.

Kaplan and AAMC.
Verbal: read a lot, did a lot of practice.. this also happens to be my strength.
Physical: I hated this section! But I tackled it head on: reviewed foundational Physics and GChem, ONLY used Kaplan stuff (don't go back to textbooks!) and did ALL practice tests that were available to me.
Biological: Didn't worry too much about OChem, just reviewed 1st semester concepts. Understand Bio pretty well, just needed to get used to format of questions. Once again, did ALL practice tests on the section.

ALL kaplan tests, AAMC tests 5-8. I found that taking full-lengths only give you an accurate prediction and only work as practice once you've finished content review. So I did these only in the last month before the real thing.
I also found that my averages from AAMC were not only higher than Kaplan's tests (Kaplan makes it harder for better practice) but also that my actual score was within mere points (and higher!) than the AAMC averages.

Biology and Literature!

CONFIDENCE. Can't reiterate it enough. If you don't believe in yourself and your ability to do well, you won't. That was my problem until I stopped myself one day and said " look, you can do this". Plus, the course helped me stay motivated and do my homework each day. It's a grueling process but you can do it. I didn't think I'd ever conquer the MCAT but I did.
Focus on your weaknesses first and do foundational review, but don't forget your strengths. With your strengths, go ahead and do practice tests on those subjects from the beginning, and then once you have your weaker subjects under control, do practice tests on those subjects. Content will only take you so far, after that you MUST do practice tests if you are to do well on this exam. Oh, and GOOD LUCK! I know how it feels to be the underdog, and I make sure I am a huge motivator for my students now.

I took the entire summer from June to August, 2005. Of course, it's doable to do other things as well while you're studying.

37Q - 13PS, 11VR, 13BS

I took the Kaplan online course. I reviewed all the content and then took a ton of practice tests during the last two months of studying. I did not use the Kaplan strategy, however. It just didn't work well for me.

Kaplan and AAMC practice tests. I went back to my textbook to really review some concepts I had trouble with. I found I was better able to remember how things work in general if I really reviewed the specifics of them. This was particularly important for me in the bio section.

Kaplan and all of the AAMC tests

Statistics

Take lots of the AAMC tests. I really think they helped me have a good idea of what to expect during the test.

7 months. However, I finished most of the prerequisites 7-ish years before the test so I needed a lot of time to relearn the material. I also had not taken Physics II yet so I needed the time to learn that material for the first time. I wouldn't recommend studying this long if the material is fresh in your mind. It's too easy to get burned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.