30 years old and dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yo21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

Is it too late to actually start dental school when you are 30 years old???
Anybody in dental school with such an age or thinking about going into dental school at that age?
Would it be too difficult to repay loans and establish a private practice?

Any words of encouragement are appreciated. Lol

Thank you.

Yo21

Members don't see this ad.

yo21 said:
Hello everyone:

Anybody in dental school with such an age or thinking about going into dental school at that age?

Thank you.

Yo21

I'll be 32 next month and I start at Buffalo in August. I don't have the slightest concern for repaying loans or for starting a practice. If anything, my experience puts me at an advantage post-graduation. Don't get detered, my younger brother (just graduated from Ohio State dentistry) had a 50 year old in his class who had no doubt what he wanted to do. Just like anything else in life; if you want it...go get it! If you want to be a dentist, you'll be one. You'll do fine. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Two examples:

1) I have several classmates who started dental school over 30 yo, none of them are specializing, but very excited for the career choice they've made.

2) I'm starting a 6-year dental residency program at the age of 31, you'll be starting a 4-year dental school at the age of 30. If I can do it, you can do it.

You'll be finished when you're 34, that's not old at all! I say, "yooooou can doooooo it"!

Oh, on top of that, I'll have over $400K in debt when I'm finished. Am I worried, no.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
30 isn't too old at all. There are several 30+ non-trads that have been accepted from this last app cycle. I'll be starting school at the age of 32 this fall. We'll be older by the time our loans are paid off, but IMO it'll still be a much better lifestyle than our original careers (engineering in my case).

As far as private practice goes, I'd say that most of us are planning on that. The independence of having a private practice is one of the best aspects of dentisty. We probably need to be more careful when buying a practice than younger grads, but considering that you can work to a pretty ripe old age in dentistry there should be enough time to make the investment pay off.

Congratulations to you all! :)

yo21 said:
Hello everyone:

Thank you.

Yo21

I started dental school at 41. It's definitely doable

my class has people of all ages ranging from 19 to 40-ish with at least 3 being over 30. everyone seems to fit in really well. good luck :)

I start at Nova this August and I turn 31 in September. I'll decide in school if I want to specialize or not, but there's still plenty of life to practice afterwards either way.

Before going back for my pre-req's, I was working at a country club in Florida. I knew that wasn't what I wanted to do forever but I wasn't sure where to turn. Then one day a member turned me on to dentistry and now two years later I'm starting D-school.

One of the things that gave me the confidence to go for it was talking to the members of that country club. The average age of the members was between 65 and 70. While there, I was trying to soak up whatever knowledge I could form these generally successful people. Whenever I asked them what they did or do for a living, almost everyone had multiple careers or endeavors. Whether it was military to business, or medicine to law, or accounting to real estate. Either way it made me realize there was still plenty of time to do whatever I wanted and that I didn't want to waste any time not working towards that goal.

Good Luck!!

I'm not 30 yet, but getting there. One thing that sucks about being older in class is you'll always be reminded of how much older you really are. After a while, you'll realize a bunch of your classmates are immature spoiled rich snots whose parents are also dentists so they've never gone through any real hardship in their lives. Half the day, all I hear is whine whine whine. If I didn't know any better, i'd think there was a WAAmbulanace around the corner. Along with their other displays of unprofessionalism, you'll have to dig deep inside and use every bit of your maturity not to wring their necks. We were all young once, but it's so easy to forget how it was and get annoyed.

Reactions: 4 users
yo21 said:
Hello everyone:

Thank you.

Yo21
i'm 38
:) and nit appying till 2007

crazy_sherm said:
I'm not 30 yet, but getting there. One thing that sucks about being older in class is you'll always be reminded of how much older you really are. After a while, you'll realize a bunch of your classmates are immature spoiled rich snots whose parents are also dentists so they've never gone through any real hardship in their lives. Half the day, all I hear is whine whine whine. If I didn't know any better, i'd think there was a WAAmbulanace around the corner. Along with their other displays of unprofessionalism, you'll have to dig deep inside and use every bit of your maturity not to wring their necks. We were all young once, but it's so easy to forget how it was and get annoyed.

wow - our older students seem to fit in really well and have plenty of friends in the younger groups and are plenty social in school... i know every class is different though so i guess it's just a matter of your class members as well as how you approach it...

Biogirl361 said:
wow - our older students seem to fit in really well and have plenty of friends in the younger groups and are plenty social in school... i know every class is different though so i guess it's just a matter of your class members as well as how you approach it...

I'm just being cynical, it's actually not really a problem. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
20% of the 2005 entering class at UCSF were 30+. The oldest was someone 48 years old!!

I'm 35 and am not worried at all.

I was given a good piece of wisdom when I was contemplating switching careers "late in the game". I will turn 40 a few weeks after I graduate and was kinda worried about that. My brother said, "Hey, you will eventually be 40 no matter what. You can be 40 and a dentist or 40 and not a dentist. It's your call!"

It cleared it right up!

PDizzle said:
20% of the 2005 entering class at UCSF were 30+. The oldest was someone 48 years old!!...

He'll be ~60 by the time he gets his OMFS degree.

Thank you everyone for your time! All of your comments were very helpful. Thanks for the encouragement.

God bless you.

yo21

Reactions: 1 user
At one of my interviews the student interviewer on the panel was well into her 40's. She looked very happy.

This is perhaps the only thread on the forum with out any negative replies so I feel like I have to give it some balance. Thirty is so old, grey hairs and all that. There is no way you’ll be able to have a successful career starting to practice in your mid to late thirties or beyond. It is unbelievable that dental schools even let people in who are over 23. Wait I was born in 1975, I’m 30. Oh ****, disregard the above.

I'll be 26 when I matriculate. If I was going to be ancient when I started, such as 30, I'd probably give up my dream of becoming a dentist.

Why do a career that you like for 36 years (if you retire at 70) when you can do one that you are currently not happy with for 40 more?

:rolleyes:

Gargamel said:
Wait I was born in 1975, I'm 30. Oh ****, disregard the above.

Aren't you 31? (2006 - 1975 = 31)

Not until November but thanks for checking my math.

crazy_sherm said:
Thanks for this post. I started Dschool at 30 and was annoyed regularly by spoiled brats around me complaining about every bit of work. My advice would be to ignore these people and just focus on the didactics. Most of these children haven't worked a day in their lives so their opinions about the training and profession are generally worthless.

I started Dental School at the young age of 31. Don't worry man, You'll be fine...Just look at yourself 15 years from now: You'll live a very comfortable life doing something that you actually like. Good luck!

TeethVader said:
I started Dental School at the young age of 31. Don't worry man, You'll be fine...Just look at yourself 15 years from now: You'll live a very comfortable life doing something that you actually like. Good luck!

Quite my job at 29, completed undergrad and started D-School at 32. As someone already made mention of, I'd rather sacrifice 7 years in school now to have a career that I enjoy for 30+ years rather than wishing I had later while grinding out a pay-check and being miserable.

yo21 said:
Hello everyone:

Thank you.

Yo21

Nope, I'm happy to say that it's not too late to start dental school at the young age of 30. While I have yet to hit the big 3-0 a couple of my classmates are in their 30's and there are several others that fit that bill in the other years' as well. :)

Hello everybody,

I am another person who is dreaming of doing Dentistry this year or the next. I have actually a bachelor and master degree in Industrial Management and a less than two years of working experience. But I would like to go back to school and dentistry. Well, there are a lot of obstacles for me such as the payments or my age as I am becoming 31 years old in less than two months or even my education. I had some doubts to even going for dentistry as I started contacting universities and searching for schools and found out that for me as an international student there won't even be any scholarships or proper loans. But mostly I was concerned because of my age which after redaing your comments or in other pages I have got encouragement to go for it. But here I have got a question. How can I even get through it? How should I convince authorities at school that I am a good candidate and should get admission? What should I emphasize on during any internview or in my resume. By the way, I would be happy to know why some of you in your 30's or 40's after doing something else like engineering or even being a houswives want to go back to school and especially doing dentistry? have you ever talked about your motivations for doing it during your interviews?

I will be so happy and more encouraged if you guys try to give me some piece of advice.

Thanks for your concern.

Lol, this thread is from 2006... half the people are dead by now.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
well, it is even older. Some have written in 2003 or 4 but still there are some people like me who search on the net and find it out and might be interested in the same issue. Maybe somebody like you comes and read it and reply to it!

If anything, being older when I apply has only meant that I try to live healthier to 'make up' for lost time! ;)

So I guess im not elderly turning 25 this year. Hummm good to know! :)

you guys do realize this thread was started 8 years ago lol.

but since I am here already, the average starting age for DSs is I think 25 years old.... 30 isn't too far from that.

you guys do realize this thread was started 8 years ago lol.

but since I am here already, the average starting age for DSs is I think 25 years old.... 30 isn't too far from that.
keep that mind set and death isn't too far away either. but congrats on your dschool class of 2015

^Yo just bumped a dead thread m8.

Hello everyone:

Thank you.

Yo21
You're never too old. You've got an upper hand on the young kids in two ways. You're old enough to know what you want, you deciding to go dental school after such a long time means that you're determined enough to get through it. While all these kids are goofing around, you'll be mature enough to fly through school. Also, when you graduate, patients will be more inclined to go to you because of your age. Nobody wants to go to a 26 year old dentist, a 34 year old dentist is much more comforting. You''ll be fine!

You're never too old. You've got an upper hand on the young kids in two ways. You're old enough to know what you want, you deciding to go dental school after such a long time means that you're determined enough to get through it. While all these kids are goofing around, you'll be mature enough to fly through school. Also, when you graduate, patients will be more inclined to go to you because of your age. Nobody wants to go to a 26 year old dentist, a 34 year old dentist is much more comforting. You''ll be fine!
i just attempted to encourage a man 8 years late.

I think that the majority of people who can gain admission to dental school are able to get through it. That is why admission committees look at your transcript/DAT and track record. Yes, there are a few dropouts here and there, but a LOT of "kids" do well in dental school.
I agree with the rest of your encouragement!

Last edited:
Honestly, I hope to start DS at age 23, and I disagree with the bolded statements above.

1. I think that the majority of people who can gain admission to dental school are able to get through it. That is why admission committees look at your transcript and track record. Yes, there are a few dropouts here and there, but a LOT of "kids" do well in dental school.

2. "patients will be more inclined to go to you because of your age. Nobody wants to go to a 26 year old dentist" Really? 26 year-olds might be less experienced relative to 34 year-olds, but I also hold an account over at Dentaltown and I see plenty of new-recent grads (28,29yo) who are doing just fine in private practice. Patients care a LOT more about how friendly the dentist is, how professional s/he seems, how the staff behaves, how the office looks, what the fees are, whether their insurance is taken, how easy it is to schedule an appointment, etc.
I embellished about the kids goofing off to emphasize the point that hes more mature and would very serious about school. Not implying that we aren't able to take things seriously, I was simply implying that a thirty year old going back to dental school would be very dedicated to their studies. I was not saying that young dentists can't make it on their own, but patients would undoubtedly feel more comfortable with someone a little older who they would perceive as having a few years experience rather than someone fresh out of school. It the same logic behind people being more comfortable with a 26 year old driver than a 16 year old who just passed drivers ed.

@all non-trads: do you have loans from undergrad? how do you plan to pay all these loans off?

Dang and here I am thinking if I don't get it on my first round at 21, I'll just choose another profession.
Kudos to you man

@all non-trads: do you have loans from undergrad? how do you plan to pay all these loans off?

Every time I see you, you are asking questions!

How do I plan on paying all these loans? Hmmmm, let me think...... IDK

maybe by paying them once I start working

Wth

How else?

All students whom have loans, have the option for deferred payments while in school.

Yes. Raising a family of four. I live off student loans and the GI Bill. I plan to pay them off with my income as a dentist.

During lectures, I sit next to a guy who's over 40. Retired military, four kids. He's AWESOME. I truly think he's the most likable person in our class.

If this is what you want to do, don't let age stop you. Do what you love.

Hello everyone:

Thank you.

Yo21
So you'll be a dentist by 34, and if you work hard for the next 10-15 years and make some smart financial investments to have established enough passive income to retire before 50. That's not too bad from my point of view. I am going to be in same boat as you anyway. I am 26 and finishing my Masters in Biomedical Science. I still need to take the DAT and beef up my shadowing and volunteer hours, which means I can be ready to apply to dental school when I turn 28, but it could drag until I'm 30. It doesn't matter when you get accepted, getting your dental degree is what matters. Everyone is unique and goes through life differently. If you're contempt and happy then you won life.

So you'll be a dentist by 34, and if you work hard for the next 10-15 years and make some smart financial investments to have established enough passive income to retire before 50. That's not too bad from my point of view. I am going to be in same boat as you anyway. I am 26 and finishing my Masters in Biomedical Science. I still need to take the DAT and beef up my shadowing and volunteer hours, which means I can be ready to apply to dental school when I turn 28, but it could drag until I'm 30. It doesn't matter when you get accepted, getting your dental degree is what matters. Everyone is unique and goes through life differently. If you're contempt and happy then you won life.

Seeing as this threads over 12 years old OPs probably in his early 40s by now lol but anyways good luck on your DAT and app

Would like to know how all these members doing now as ai am already 33 and applying this cycle ;)

Would like to know how all these members doing now as ai am already 33 and applying this cycle ;)
I was admitted into melbourne uni for their DDS program just this year, which is transferrable back into Canada!! Second time applying. THere's always hope. Best of luck and you can do it!!

ACCEPTED

TUFTS 2023

Never Give UP

I’m 33 and I’m in my second year. There are many people in my class who are either going to be 30 by graduation or be in their mid 30s.

Dental school is very hard, but it seems like the 30+ crowd tends to have a better grip on how to handle stress, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it seems like the 30+ crowd tends to have a better grip on how to handle stress, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
glad to hear that. I'm going to be 29 by the time I matriculate.