25 years old. military spouse and mom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentmom2332

Predentmom2332
Reaction score
I would 100% be considered non traditional.

Ever since I was little dental school was the goal. I did think I wanted to do medicine because of my family who are mostly in medicine but really dentistry has been my dream.

I graduated college in 2016 and applied to dental school right after. I really was not motivated in college and had such a low GPA 3.0 overall. I made a 17 overall on my DAT. I knew my chances were slim but I felt pressured by my parents who weren’t familiar with the application process to go ahead and apply. Not surprising I got denied from the schools I applied to.

That was 2016. Well since I got married to my husband who is in the military. We moved cross country and now have a 7 month old. Since being out of college I’ve worked as an orthodontic/pediatric assistant in a private office as well as a corporate office. Working in the field I learned quick the good and the bad. How an office works, how companies work. Good and bad treatment from doctors. Patient care and communication. I used 4 handed dentistry daily. I was certified in coronal polishing and sealants. Band and impress. In addition to the experience working as an ortho assistant where we basically do everything.

I have amazing mentors who encourage me to keep my goal of dental school going.
I just feel like I am in a weird position being a military spouse as well as a mom. For sure I will retake the DAT, and I’ve looked into doing a masters/post doc program but some of the doctors I’ve spoken with told me with my years of experience on top of killing the DAT I may not need to do a program but I’m not sure.
Having a family I am in such a different place and mindset compared to how I was in college. Those grades I made definitely don’t reflect who I am now.

What all do you think about my situation and my chances? Or know of anyone who has been in a similar position?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First of all, I just wanted to say good for you for continuing to pursue your dental school goal! I'm not coming from a similar position, but I would suggest reaching out to your local dental school if there's one near you. Try to speak (or email) with an admissions representative, explain your situation and go from there. An admissions rep will be able to give you a better idea of how you compare to other applicants and if you need a post-bacc or masters. Does your undergrad school have a pre-health advisor? If so, you could also reach out to him/her for additional guidance.

I think a post-bacc or masters wouldn't hurt since a 3.0 is not a competitive overall GPA (but I am not an expert by any means, just someone who has gone through the admissions process). In addition to crushing the DAT, I would also focus on writing an outstanding personal statement, and acquiring very strong letters of recommendation. As you said, you're a nontraditional applicant and you'd bring years of hands on assisting experience/perspective to the table. I think you have a lot of strengths to offer, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Improve Undergrad GPA and retake DAT for a better score. Masters' programs are a joke and everyone, including dental admission offices, know they're the fraction of difficulty as undergrad, they'll help make your app look better but will not bridge the gap in your GPA and DAT.
Am a veteran, a father to a 4 months old, going to school with 6 undergrad classes a semester, and am 30yo, if I can do it am sure you can too just don't get discouraged and give it all you got.

Reactions: 1 user