31N MCAT 3.71 cGPA, 3.81 sGPA, 4.0 Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arnimmic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

My Stats:
cGPA= 3.71
sGPA= 3.80
Post Bacc GPA= 4.0
MCAT= 11 BS, 11 PS, 9 VR

(All GPAs upward trend)

Background:

Non-traditional applicant. Received a BS in Accounting and returned to undergrad at 23 to do post-bacc. Have taken upper level science courses: Biochem and Genetics, both top of my class. Schools I attended were not top, but good institutions.

My Ec's

Research:

1 year of research (around 350 hours), presented poster at student research day, 3rd author on published article.

Shadowing:

Around 400 hours (Includes primary care physician in under-served neighborhood).

Volunteering:

100 hours in ER
100 hours volunteering in clinic in under-served community
40 hours in an afterschool program for children of incarcerated parents

Awards:

Merit Based Scholarship two semesters

Received an award from the afterschool program I work with (not sure for what yet, I receive it tonight)

Leadership:

Founded a company, Tutor the People, a tutoring company that matches every hour sold with an tutoring hour donated to children in under served communities which has been a great success so far. We tutor MCAT and are really affordable with great tutors, so PM if interested.

While creating this company I was taking courses and volunteering.

LORS:

Strong (from what my advisor tells me), letter packet, no committee letter at my school.

Application ready for review 6/19

Applied to 28 schools (I know):

Einstein
Tufts
NYU
U of Southern California
SUNY Downstate (Public)
Stony Brook (Public)
Boston
Rosalind Franklin
Albany
OHSU
Georgetown
Temple
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York Medical College
AZ- Phoenix
AZ- Tucson
MUSC
USC- Greenville
Drexel
Miami
Jefferson
Hofstra
UVT
Virginia Commonwealth
Rush
Tulane

I am a South Carolina resident but have been living in NYC for 8 months. My business is in NYC and will be in Boston, Philly and DC next semester.

Not interested in DO

Two questions:

What do you think of my school list?

I just received news about my award and publication (after submission). Should I include this information in my secondaries or in an update letter?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone:

My Stats:
cGPA= 3.71
sGPA= 3.80
Post Bacc GPA= 4.0
MCAT= 11 BS, 11 PS, 9 VR

(All GPAs upward trend)

Background:

Non-traditional applicant. Received a BS in Accounting and returned to undergrad at 23 to do post-bacc. Have taken upper level science courses: Biochem and Genetics, both top of my class. Schools I attended were not top, but good institutions.

My Ec's

Research:

1 year of research (around 350 hours), presented poster at student research day, 3rd author on published article.

Shadowing:

Around 400 hours (Includes primary care physician in under-served neighborhood).

Volunteering:

100 hours in ER
100 hours volunteering in clinic in under-served community
40 hours in an afterschool program for children of incarcerated parents

Awards:

Merit Based Scholarship two semesters

Received an award from the afterschool program I work with (not sure for what yet, I receive it tonight)

Leadership:

Founded a company, Tutor the People, a tutoring company that matches every hour sold with an tutoring hour donated to children in under served communities which has been a great success so far. We tutor MCAT and are really affordable with great tutors, so PM if interested.

While creating this company I was taking courses and volunteering.

LORS:

Strong (from what my advisor tells me), letter packet, no committee letter at my school.

Application ready for review 6/19

Applied to 28 schools (I know):

Einstein
Tufts
NYU
U of Southern California
SUNY Downstate (Public)
Stony Brook (Public)
Boston
Rosalind Franklin
Albany
OHSU
Georgetown
Temple
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York Medical College
AZ- Phoenix
AZ- Tucson
MUSC
USC- Greenville
Drexel
Miami
Jefferson
Hofstra
UVT
Virginia Commonwealth
Rush
Tulane

I am a South Carolina resident but have been living in NYC for 8 months. My business is in NYC and will be in Boston, Philly and DC next semester.

Not interested in DO

Two questions:

What do you think of my school list?

I just received news about my award and publication (after submission). Should I include this information in my secondaries or in an update letter?

Thanks everyone!

You'll certainly get some interviews this cycle, but I don't understand your rationale for applying to OHSU and the AZ schools. Public schools are usually not very receptive to out of state applicants unless they have amazing stats or crazy strong state ties. Other then that you are a very solid applicant and I'm sue that you'll get some love this cycle. Hopefully your income is good because those secondary fees are going to cost a pretty penny for 28 schools, lol. Maybe consider not filling out some secondaries if they are really expensive and you look more into the school. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll certainly get some interviews this cycle, but I don't understand your rationale for applying to OHSU and the AZ schools. Public schools are usually not very receptive to out of state applicants unless they have amazing stats or crazy strong state ties. Other then that you are a very solid applicant and I'm sue that you'll get some love this cycle. Hopefully your income is good because those secondary fees are going to cost a pretty penny for 28 schools, lol. Maybe consider not filling out some secondaries if they are really expensive and you look more into the school. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah OHSU is a long shot, totally agree. I just really like that school. Haha 28 secondaries is definitely going to stretch the wallet and time, but I think I can make it through.:xf:

If anyone else has anything else it would be much appreciated.

I count 8 schools where you have a fair to good chance at an interview. That's a pretty low yield for 28 secondaries but still enough to give you a good shot at acceptance.

Thank you for your honest reply. Are there any schools you would recommend adding in place of some of the "long shot" schools on my list?

Try looking into newer schools: FSU, FIU, etc. Great job with founding the company though! You should have a great chance at MUSC.