31R MCAT and GPA below 3.5 picking up crumbs left by better applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine2006

Happy Pisces
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those with great MCATs and GPA assumming their personality is okay are gonna get multiple acceptances to great medical schools. The rest of us on the fringe of being acceptable must pick up the crumbs, ie few slots designated for the lower end of the class.

But I don't mind at all! The powerful can take thier Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF, Wash U, UCLA, etc. I'll be content with the middle of the road schools.

I am just so greatful to have been accepted to a couple places and will be a medical student come August.

Others like me on the margins of acceptable pool please post your stories and share.

Members don't see this ad.

where you been accepted to man? and what's your definition of middle of the road schools?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by mrhdream:
•where you been accepted to man? and what's your definition of middle of the road schools?•••••I have been accepted to a couple of other places but I have delined at offers except for Howard college of medicine where will attend in August.

I have a broad definition of middle of the road med schools. To me a middle of the road medical school is any US allopathic school not ranked in the top 25.

Members don't see this ad :)
That'd make a looooooooong middle road, considering there are 125 med schools....

yeah, no kidding.

I have my own system, schools in the top 10 are in one level, then schools in the top 25 are in another level, and finaly schools in the top 50 are in my last level. I would love to go to a top 25 school!

•yeah, no kidding.

I have my own system, schools in the top 10 are in one level, then schools in the top 25 are in another level, and finaly schools in the top 50 are in my last level. I would love to go to a top 25 school!•••••Are so saying any school below #50 on USNews ranking is not good enough?

not at all man!!!

I'm saying that with your stats, I wouldn't limit myself with schools out of the top 50!!
All MD schools are good!

•not at all man!!!

I'm saying that with your stats, I wouldn't limit myself with schools out of the top 50!!
All MD schools are good!•••••Thanks man! I did apply to schools in the top 50 even top 25 but none of them showed me any love. I did get a secondary from UCLA which is a minor accomplishment b/c they only give that to 45% of applicants.

I know your pain... I was on the margin of accceptable for several years before I was finally accepted. I have no doubt I'll be a competent and compassionate doctor, but it was hard to convince adcoms of that, especially when I hardly got any interviews, and the ones I did get were in March/April... Even though I knew my personality was "normal," it didn't matter when I was fighting for a waitlist spot... anyway, I did the post-bacc thing, which turned out to be good for me (despite the sh*tty fact I had to fork out more money...). Not to mention, I should have given up on Cali schools years back... the whole system sucks because there are so many qualified people fighting for limited spots. To be honest, I came to realize there was a luck factor involved... especially when I saw over-qualified people in my post-bacc get many rejections. Anyway, I felt vindicated after I got several acceptances (after 4 years/ 9-10K$ in application fees!), and having nearly completed my first year I have to say that I know medicine has been the right choice for me, even though it took me so long to get here. It's ironic because it took me so long to get in, and at this point I'm definitely in the upper echelon of my class... it just goes to show that even though you can be a mediocre candidate for acceptance, you can still perform quite well in med school... I digress...
As for rankings, I have to say that unlike law schools, etc, there aren't really any bad med schools in the US... just shades of grey. It irks me when I hear people bag on certain med schools, and I've come to realize that certain people just do this to feed their egos. There will always be people like this, and I've realized that while they will always be there, they suck! If you need a certain school's diploma behing your name to feel better about yourself, so be it... you're probably not a person I would like as a friend or physician. Not to knock people at top schools, because I'm not... they've worked hard to get there and they deserve accolades... it's just the people who point out the fact that they went to such and such school that are shadows of human beings. I feel confident in my education and abilities, and that's all I need to feel good about myself. I am well rounded and find a healthy balance between school and my outside life, and if you were to ask me ten years ago what I wanted out of life, this would be it. In my book, I've already won... (now I just need to get back to CA for residency :wink: :D )

•••quote:•••Originally posted by daveshnave:
•I know your pain... I was on the margin of accceptable for several years before I was finally accepted. I have no doubt I'll be a competent and compassionate doctor, but it was hard to convince adcoms of that, especially when I hardly got any interviews, and the ones I did get were in March/April... Even though I knew my personality was "normal," it didn't matter when I was fighting for a waitlist spot... anyway, I did the post-bacc thing, which turned out to be good for me (despite the sh*tty fact I had to fork out more money...). Not to mention, I should have given up on Cali schools years back... the whole system sucks because there are so many qualified people fighting for limited spots. To be honest, I came to realize there was a luck factor involved... especially when I saw over-qualified people in my post-bacc get many rejections. Anyway, I felt vindicated after I got several acceptances (after 4 years/ 9-10K$ in application fees!), and having nearly completed my first year I have to say that I know medicine has been the right choice for me, even though it took me so long to get here. It's ironic because it took me so long to get in, and at this point I'm definitely in the upper echelon of my class... it just goes to show that even though you can be a mediocre candidate for acceptance, you can still perform quite well in med school... I digress...
As for rankings, I have to say that unlike law schools, etc, there aren't really any bad med schools in the US... just shades of grey. It irks me when I hear people bag on certain med schools, and I've come to realize that certain people just do this to feed their egos. There will always be people like this, and I've realized that while they will always be there, they suck! If you need a certain school's diploma behing your name to feel better about yourself, so be it... you're probably not a person I would like as a friend or physician. Not to knock people at top schools, because I'm not... they've worked hard to get there and they deserve accolades... it's just the people who point out the fact that they went to such and such school that are shadows of human beings. I feel confident in my education and abilities, and that's all I need to feel good about myself. I am well rounded and find a healthy balance between school and my outside life, and if you were to ask me ten years ago what I wanted out of life, this would be it. In my book, I've already won... (now I just need to get back to CA for residency :wink: :D )•••••That is the spirit to have =)
Don't let the ego freaks win. Although the interview process is supposed to filter out the socially inept, it doesn't necessarily filter out the egotistical neurotic folks who's self esteem is based completely on their academic success.
Undoubtably all of us will encounter the snobs and elitists. But that doesn't mean we will allow them to subjugate our ideologies. Medicine is about helping others, its not supposed to be an ego trip.

Those bastards who worked their ass off in undergrad are getting all the best slots in medical school. I hate it.

Ok, now the real me. I screwed around for most of undergrad, and didn't get serious until my late sophomore year. And all of my friends are getting into a lot better schools than me and even some people who I would think are worse off than me are getting into good schools. And you know what I say to them when I found out they get into Columbia's, Northwestern's, and the UCLA's of Medicine????? Congratulations. You worked your ass off these past four years and you deserve to get where you have. I can only hope I can work as hard as you have in medical school so that I might be able to join you sometime down the road.

if you have a < 3.5 gpa and a ~30 MCAT with really good EC's and solid reccomendations, are the chances of getting in really slim? :confused:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by saimabean5:
•if you have a < 3.5 gpa and a ~30 MCAT with really good EC's and solid reccomendations, are the chances of getting in really slim? :confused: •••••Your undergrad might come in to play in that case, and if you get interviews, being good at interviewing will help you. I think if any of your numbers are below the average for matriculants (3.6 / 29.5), your chances of getting in are "slim" comapared to those with higher stats.

hey daveshnave--

good to see you're able to look at the big picture rather than get lost in reputation fetishism. I agree, people have worked hard to get were they got to, and you see that when you meet your classmates. Like you I have endured failure and emerged a success--I'll be starting med school in my home state this fall. I think any medical school in the US admits people of a high calibre. Cheers on making it to medical school and finishing your first year!!

Medicine2006, I know how you feel. I'm in the same position. I worked really hard during the college years but I'm not very smart when it comes to the MCAT. I have a score of 9V, 11P, 10B, R. And I had to take it twice in order to get those scores. These scores are mediocre I know. But I was able to get in to UCI and UCSD. I'm matriculating at UCSD this fall for sure. I guess this is also a success story for those with mediocre stats like mine. Since this process is so random and you never know what each particular school likes about you, there is a chance that you'll get into a decent school. I believe to this day that my scores have nothing to do with my acceptance to UCSD. It was my autobiography for the secondary app that got me in. With this autobio. I was able to convey to the adcom people who I really am, which is more than I can say for the primary personal statement.

Oh by the way Medicine2006, I had the opportunity to meet your friend, who has the initial J.N. at the UCSD revisit on Saturday. I met her for the first time at the UCSD interview. It's funny because I also work near her at the UCI medical school without even knowing it until I met her at the interview. I think she's going to UCSD, unless UCLA accepts her.

Hey Cambrian,

It's cool that you met my ex-girlfriend at the UCSD re-visit weekend. We're still great friends. COngrats :clap: on getting into UCI and UCSD. I really liked the fact that UCSD had an open-ended autobio part to their secondary. I felt that I could explain so much about myself and my life to them. Unfortunately for me it wasn't enough to explain my B+ average from UCLA. It's cool I am very very happy to be going to Howard in the fall. BTW I think J.N. is gpoing to UCSD even if UCLA takes her.

Wow, I didn't know you guys were a couple. She just told me that medicine2006 is her friend... :D I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here. I didn't realize she liked UCSD that much ! But it's cool...I'll have a friend at UCSD. :)

Nuclearrabbit & Castaway-
It's good to know that there are other people out there on the same page... good luck to both of you in the future...

As for all the talk between Cambrian and Medicine2006, you're bringing up a sore point with me! COngrats on acceptances, etc., and I wish the best of luck to both of you, but I'm still bitter with UCSD... It was my own alma mater, and I didn't even get sent a secondary with an MCAT score in the mid-30's... bastards... :mad: :p Oh well, their loss... :D Don't care so much about UCSD's ranking... I just wanted to both save money and attend school in California... Anyway, Cambrian, if you attend UCSD, I have to say San Diego is a great city. I really loved my time there and I miss it. It's a great mix between southern and northern California in attitude, and the weather can't be beat. Hoping to end up there or SF for residency... Good luck this fall...

Hi Daveshnave, I'm sorry to hear about UCSD. The UC admissions process is a mysterious one. I can't believe UCSD would diss you with a mid-30 MCAT score. I do think that UCSD tends to look beyond the MCAT, which is especially true in my case. Are you in med school at MCP Hahnemann? Good luck with your remaining years there and your future residency. :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by daveshnave:
•Nuclearrabbit & Castaway-
It's good to know that there are other people out there on the same page... good luck to both of you in the future...

As for all the talk between Cambrian and Medicine2006, you're bringing up a sore point with me! COngrats on acceptances, etc., and I wish the best of luck to both of you, but I'm still bitter with UCSD... It was my own alma mater, and I didn't even get sent a secondary with an MCAT score in the mid-30's... bastards... :mad: :p Oh well, their loss... :D Don't care so much about UCSD's ranking... I just wanted to both save money and attend school in California... Anyway, Cambrian, if you attend UCSD, I have to say San Diego is a great city. I really loved my time there and I miss it. It's a great mix between southern and northern California in attitude, and the weather can't be beat. Hoping to end up there or SF for residency... Good luck this fall...•••••