32 mechanical engineer changing a career.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlior84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people!
I want to take the DAT's in 4 months. granted, there are many recommendations online so wouldn't it be great if i go to the source and ask you all what is the best method/tool i should buy or use? (haven't been in college since 2010)

what are the best online tools or books such as youtube videos, recommended courses and other tools, necessary to get a good score on the DAT's.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
DAT Bootcamp, DAT Destroyer + Math Destroyer, Barron's + Cliff's AP Bio, CrackDAT PAT

-DAT Bootcamp (all subjects)
-DAT Destroyer + Math Destroyer (Science and Math)
-Chad's Video's (Gen Chem and Orgo)
-Cliff's AP Bio (Bio)
-Feralis notes (Bio)

*CrackDAT PAT is too easy and not cheap. Get it if you have money to burn, otherwise Bootcamp will be enough PAT practice.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
may I ask what caused your interest in dentistry from mechanical engineering?

I studied for 2 months

Chad's Videos
DAT Destroyer 2014
MATH Destroyer 2014
AP Biology Cliff's Notes
DAT Bootcamp
Crack DAT PAT

-DAT Bootcamp (all subjects)
-DAT Destroyer + Math Destroyer (Science and Math)
-Chad's Video's (Gen Chem and Orgo)
-Cliff's AP Bio (Bio)
-Feralis notes (Bio)

*CrackDAT PAT is too easy and not cheap. Get it if you have money to burn, otherwise Bootcamp will be enough PAT practice.
I used all of these, including CrackDAT PAT.

Highly do not recommend any Kaplan or Princeton Review courses.

Reactions: 1 users

I studied for 2 months

Chad's Videos
DAT Destroyer 2014
MATH Destroyer 2014
AP Biology Cliff's Notes
DAT Bootcamp
Crack DAT PAT

Used all of those resources too. DAT PAT was not representative compared to my real one

What do you mean by DAT PAT was not representative compared to my real one? the DAT exam you took was far more challenging than the Crack DAT PAT?

I used all of these, including CrackDAT PAT.

Highly do not recommend any Kaplan or Princeton Review courses.

whats the reason for not recommending the Kaplan review? due to cost or material coverage?

whats the reason for not recommending the Kaplan review? due to cost or material coverage?
CrackDAT PAT is way too easy compared to the real thing.

And Kaplan is not even close to being worth the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I studied for 2 months

Chad's Videos
DAT Destroyer 2014
MATH Destroyer 2014
AP Biology Cliff's Notes
DAT Bootcamp
Crack DAT PAT

the main reason is because it is what i want and it fits my personality. it took me a long time to realize it but it is never too late to start a new career and work in something you enjoy.

CrackDAT PAT is way too easy compared to the real thing.

And Kaplan is not even close to being worth the cost.

So what did you use for studying? or what do you recommend? I'll have to review all the pre med/det too since i was out of the loop for a while...

The blue book might not be so bad, but the course is awful for the amount of money that you spend. If you take the course, you will still need all of the other materials to do well. Might as well skip the course and save the money

Definitely start with chads videos for the chems. Take your own notes and then move on to the other materials. I only used AP bio for bio and got a 21 (but I did have a good bio background).

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely start with chads videos for the chems. Take your own notes and then move on to the other materials. I only used AP bio for bio and got a 21 (but I did have a good bio background).

I see just general chem for DAT, is the Orgo also good there? i sent a note to their website asking the same question but i didn't get a reply. some used the old site where you need to subscribe and pay $50 but now it seems like it is free...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 10.16.17.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 10.16.17.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 53
I see just general chem for DAT, is the Orgo also good there? i sent a note to their website asking the same question but i didn't get a reply. some used the old site where you need to subscribe and pay $50 but now it seems like it is free...
From what is being shared, the free ones have extraneous information and aren't as easy to follow as the originals.

Is the website course saver? I think when I was studying it was something like 30 bucks a month. Yeah Orgo and Gen Chem are absolutely top notch. He does an excellent job telling you what you need to know and all the quick short cuts that saved me a lot of time on the actual DAT. Make sure you take all his quizzes like 3-5 times each. Don't use his bio though, that's all about how much you can personally memorize. Best of luck bro

Good Luck on the DAT!! From a fellow mechanical engineer.
I too didn't enjoy engineering and decided to become a dentist.

What do you mean by DAT PAT was not representative compared to my real one? the DAT exam you took was far more challenging than the Crack DAT PAT?

There were certain sections of the DAT that DATPAT did not prepare me for. Once I saw the difference it kinda made me panic and I had to start guessing lol. If it weren't for the easy sections like cube counting, angles, hole punches I would have gotten sub 20

edit: I had bootcamp PAT too but I was lazy and decided to continue with DAT PAT...I felt like if I just started with BC from day 1 I would have done better, IMO.

PAT/DAT bootcamp is the best that I have seen so far for it! Thanks for the advise

There were certain sections of the DAT that DATPAT did not prepare me for. Once I saw the difference it kinda made me panic and I had to start guessing lol. If it weren't for the easy sections like cube counting, angles, hole punches I would have gotten sub 20

edit: I had bootcamp PAT too but I was lazy and decided to continue with DAT PAT...I felt like if I just started with BC from day 1 I would have done better, IMO.

Since when have angles been considered an easy section? LOL

To OP, I used Kaplan Blue Book, AP Bio books/notes, Destroyer, Chad's and CrackPAT. Bootcamp wasn't around when I studied but I still scored decently. I will emphasize that Chad's and Destroyer's are imperative for GC/OC while AP Bio should be sufficient for Bio. For RC, just read up on strategies and techniques. See which work best for you. PAT is just practice and exposure. I heard QR has changed so I don't know if my advice is currently relevant for that section.

Best of luck!

the main reason is because it is what i want and it fits my personality. it took me a long time to realize it but it is never too late to start a new career and work in something you enjoy.
I'm in the same boat. I'll turn 31 during the application cycle and it's a moderate career change for me too.

Sent from my SM-G900P using SDN mobile