32 - should I apply to Wash U. MSTP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 3.60/3.61 reg/sci gpa. My MCAT is 32. (10-10-12-N) Is this ok for Wash U. MSTP?

Is this ok for:

Univ. Pittsburgh
U. Penn
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Georgetown
George Washington
Creighton
NYU
NYMC
(Please check all that apply)

Don't worry, I'm applying to lower-rung schools too. I just want your feedback about these upper-division ones.

Should I even consider MSTP with a 10-10-12?

Members don't see this ad.

DV,
You're crimpin my style: name and now dispensing MSTP advice. We might just have to have a lightsaber duel to decide once and for all who is the REAL Vader. :D

BP,
Your MCAT is fine. Don't worry about the numbers--just apply to a variety of programs and make sure that ALL aspects of your application are strong. Letters are very important, as is your personal statement. Don't forget about that MSTP essay either. Oh, and you should apply to UCSF. :wink:

Bikini Princess,
Don't sweat it. I got into WashU MSTP with a 33 and a 9 on the verbal section. Like the previous posters said, research matters alot. What matters even more is your ability to communicate it. Apply to a wide range of schools and don't sell yourself short. You should exude confidence at your interviews; while of course keeping in mind that it's a fine line between confidence and arrogance. The latter is a real sinker. It's tricky.

Another thing is to relax and be yourself. In order to do this, you have to know your **** pretty cold, otherwise you'll be tense and disoriented. Funny that I'm giving interview tips this early in the game, but you'll be surprised how fast things move. Have fun with the process :cool:

BTW how come Duke is not on your list? that's messed up :p :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely apply for Wash U's program, particularly since there has been a real downturn in the number of qualified female applicants. My year (I just finished my first year of the MSTP at Wash U) we had a class of 50% women, while this year the numbers are down to something like 15-20%. I agree with the others--your grades and MCAT are just fine, as long as you have at least 1-2 years of solid research experience.

I would add Finch. They have a well funded MD/PhD program and you need some more lower tier schools.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by energy_girl:
•Definitely apply for Wash U's program, particularly since there has been a real downturn in the number of qualified female applicants. My year (I just finished my first year of the MSTP at Wash U) we had a class of 50% women, while this year the numbers are down to something like 15-20%. I agree with the others--your grades and MCAT are just fine, as long as you have at least 1-2 years of solid research experience.•••••That sounds like only 3 or 4 girls this year in WashU's MSTP class of ~20 students. That's unfortunate.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by none:
•They have a well funded MD/PhD program and you need some more lower tier schools.•••••like I said above, I'm applying to some semi-low tier schools too.

Original: I don't think I'm qualified enough for Duke(?). How many do they accept?

I have this year of working as in research, and I did research all four summers in undergrad, but none of it was at all clinical - does this matter? Also, all the research projects I've done are quite different, although they all involve molecular biology..should I try to integrate them all into the research essay? Or just my most recent?

I don't know whether or not you're qualified enough for Duke; but what I do know is that you wouldn't be eliminated soley based on those scores. Your research, extras, and interviews have significant weight in the evaluation. The class size is 12; so my guess is that they accept at least 20 students. There's no telling. Why not apply and find out.