33Q cGPA 3.04 smp GPA 3.58

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riss1084

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone! i would love to get some feedback on my application!

i submitted secondaries and had recent MCAT score back mid August. complete at schools 8/18. i was hopeful that my SMP and MCAT would make up for my low undergrad grades for entrance to an allopathic school and that if i didn't get in this year, that i would apply more broadly to md plus add do schools next year. so far i have 1 rejection but still waiting on other schools. lately i have been starting to wonder if i should hurry and submit DO apps now and if i even have a shot at MD? im from NJ and live in NYC.

more detail
MCAT 3x 23M--->29P--->33Q (12 PS 11 VR 10 BS)
BCPM= 2.78
cGPA= 3.04 (undergrad has upward trend, had to take a semester off due to personal circumstances that i would PM you about if interested but dont want to broadcast here)
BU smp= 3.58 (will be ~ 3.68 after graduating in May with research credits added from thesis this year)
2 yrs undergraduate bench research~12 hrs/wk (1 publication)
8 months clinical research~50 hrs/wk (3 publications) +2 LOR from MDs
2 yrs volunteering/community service~5 hrs/wk
2 yrs clinical shadowing ~10 hrs/wk +1 LOR from MD
3 yrs dance team
working full time now running all aspects of a clinical research study under PI and writing my thesis for BU SMP after completing my coursework last year. +1 LOR from MD

so my questions are 1. do i have a chance at an allopathic school? 2.should i add DO schools now or wait? 3. is it worth it to take a night science course for spring and/or summer? being that i have a full time job this would be tough, but i would definitely consider it if you think it would help in my application for this year?

i really appreciate your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think that taking one night class will do much for you. Other than working full time, I'd continue with some clinical volunteering through the application cycle. It is not as late in the DO application cycle now as it is for MD. If you have access to a DO or MD LOR, I'd go ahead and apply now through AACOMAS.

thank you both for the feedback! i think im going to wait until next year to apply to DO and more broadly to MD in hopes of getting an MD acceptance this year.... and I won't do a night course as it wouldn't make a dent in the GPA. I am definitely getting a lot of clinical exposure in the field of my research (Nephrology) but will start looking into more opportunities for further exposure and think that is a great idea!