34R, lousy GPA

Started by nina7123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nina7123

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys,

I just had a huge blow yesterday when I saw my AMCAS calculated GPA, which was much lower than I had expected. Can some people comment on my school list?

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=10809

I would love to stay in CA but realize that it probably not going to happen, what are other schools I should look at? I want to do a joint MD/MPH program if possible, but getting the MPH now it's 100% necessary.

Thanks! 🙂
 
Well, your ECs are STELLAR. Get a phenomenal personal statement together and med schools should be fighting over you! Your MCAT is great too. Obviously, though, your gpa is a problem. Do you have a solid upward trend? As in the pre-reqs? If you can answer yes to those two questions you'll stand a much better chance than if the answer is no. Because that's what adcoms will be looking at to see if they should give you a chance. They'll want to see great grades in recent science coursework. If you can sign up for classes for this summer/fall semester and update schools with some As in upper level science classes (doesn't have to be at your current college) that could help.

Again, I think that you've got AMAZING ECs. But given the low science gpa, I think you definitely need to apply more broadly, and to add schools that aren't reaches or top tier schools. You may get lucky at one, but you don't want to have to bank on that. A 3.2 is EXTREMELY low for many of the schools on your list.

I'm going to throw out a couple schools you could add, and see what you think. If you can afford to add more, add as many as you can. You really want to maximize your chances, and you just don't know which adcom is going to decide that your ECs and MCAT outweigh your gpa. So, how about: Loyola (they'll drool all over your ECs), Rush, UIC (although they're bloody expensive OOS), Creighton, UVM, Albany, Wayne State, Penn State, Temple, the SUNYs (you can get instate tuition after a year), EVMS and VCU. There are more, but those are at the top of my head. Also, I think I read that Univ. of Washington does let in a small number of OOS applicants that can show a real dedication to the underserved. You might be right up their alley. Perhaps also Oregon. As I said, you just never know, and I think it's worth the application fees to use the shot gun approach in your case. Also, I would apply to a DO school or two in CA (if there are some) if you'd rather go to DO school than reapply next year. Hopefully you'll have great success this cycle, but with your low science gpa, it's a bit of a crap shoot. :luck:

As for the MD/MPH, Tulane has a great program, as I'm sure you know. I think Tufts does too. And Mayo will fully fund an MPH at Minnesota. I'd focus on getting into med school, and then aim for the MPH, or if you end up reapplying, get your MPH in the interim.

Also, do you have ties to Utah? Cause if not, I would think that it's nigh impossible to get in OOS.
 
You have lot of very selective schools on your list, plus some public schools where you are OOS. If your parents are forcing you to apply, you should force them to provide the money as this is money that's very poorly spent. With your grades, the following schools are not really worth applying to: Case, Columbia, Weill, Duke, Emory, Hopkins, Mayo, Sinai, NYU, Feinberg, UCLA, UCSF, Michigan State (OOS) Utah (OOS) and Yale. UCSD is not likely to work out either.

That's $450 down the tubes just for AMCAS. With secondaries, the total cost can easily exceed $1200+, depending on how many secondaries are sent back to you.

On the bright side, you have a good application and will be competitive at many of the schools on your list. BU, RFUMS, Tufts, Tulane and Rochester are quite possible.

That said, you should still play it safer. Make sure to add Jefferson Medical College, as it's one of the best schools with high (but not extremely high) average scores. Other than that, consider GW and G-town, as well as Saint Louis, Drexel, NYMC and MCW.

You have good chances, but you could get burned if you don't apply wisely. Your current list, to be honest, is not that well-chosen. It's like having good (but not great) cards and playing them poorly. Being a California resident does not help with private schools either, as they are also inundated with applicants from California.

Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the advice! I actually have Drexel and NYMC on my list which I forgot to add to my MdApps. I will definitely look at some of the other schools you both mentioned; I was under the impression that MCW was bad for OOS but I must be wrong. I'll also talk to my parents about how they are willing to spend their money (applications = my graduation present)

My gpa trend does have an upward trend, and I got 12 units of BCPM "A" this spring quarter, but I was told that it is better to apply early than to wait for an updated transcript (not sure anymore if that was such great advice). I'm also taking summer school which will be 9 units of BCPM classes that hopefully will increase my GPA as well. Do you only send in "updates" when you are on the waitlist? Or just include in the the "add whatever else you think we should know" on secondaries?

As for Utah, my mom went to University of Utah and told me that was a "tie" enough. Haha....the optimism of parents.

Thanks again guys!! 😍
 
Last edited:
abcabc1 suggested some other great schools you should apply to. MCW is a good school to apply to if you're OOS. For Utah, I'd call the admissions office and ask if your tie is enough. Some applications do ask if an immediate family member is an alum, and that may (or may not) do it. Better to know now than to throw away the primary AND secondary fees.

As for the reaches, I'm always of the opinion that if you have the money, may as well try. I agree that you have a very slim chance with your low gpa at the schools abcabc1 mentioned were a real stretch, but we really aren't just numbers in this process, and there's no reason not to dream big if you can afford the app fees. If you have limited funds though, I would also recommend cutting those schools.
 
Updates are welcome and, in many cases, desired. If you sent out your app, you sent out your app. It's not a big deal, but send the updates out ASAP.

MCW, I believe, is 1/2 in and 1/2 out (of state). As with many (if not most) private schools, they have a lot of Californians, but you'd definitely have a shot with the new BCMP grades coming in as A's.

If you have the money, you may as well apply to the high end schools. Your MCAT scores are competitive. It's much better to have high MCATs and a low GPA than the opposite (though having both is typically the winning combination).

Make sure to complete all applications to the schools where you are most competitive before spending time on applications for the more selective schools.
 
Great advice. Thanks for being so helpful.

I'm sure there is a more appropriate place to put this...but for any of you guys who were also confused on what "ties to Utah" means, I emailed someone in the admissions office and was told that you must have a close relative living in Utah (bummer). However, if you are applying to the MD/PhD program then they have no requirements for OOS applicants 🙂
 
As for Utah, my mom went to University of Utah and told me that was a "tie" enough. Haha....the optimism of parents.

from UofU website....
Non-Residents

Approximately 19 positions are offered to nonresidents. For consideration, nonresidents must meet one of the following requirements:

  • Have significant ties to Utah. (e.g. lived in, own property in or have family members who live in Utah). Documentation of ties to Utah will be required and will be considered by the Admissions Committee.
  • Apply to the M.D. /Ph.D. program. Applications are available for U.S. citizens or permanent U.S. residents only.
  • Be specifically recognized as a member of a population group underrepresented in the physician workforce. (Africans and African Americans, American Indians, Alaska Natives, Chamorros, Polynesians including Native Hawaiians, Tongans, Samoans, Filipinos, Tahitians, Maoris, Fijians, Niueans, Palauans; Chicanos/as and Latinos/as including Puerto Ricans, Mexican Americans, Central Americans and South Americans)
I don't think you're mom going to the U counts unless she still lives here or unless you have other family members who still live here.
 
I don't think your 'ties' to Utah are that strong for the MD only program. The requirements for MD/PhD are less stringent. I could be wrong, but my guess is that this is the case b/c MSTP (aka MD/PhD) programs are often federally funded. That being the case, perhaps the requirement for these programs is US citizenship? My $0.02!!