35-45 mins too far from campus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OP, would it work to live with your family as your "base" and rent a studio, or commute room in someone else's home, near campus for days when you'll need to be there early, or you're too tired to make the commute home?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, would it work to live with your family as your "base" and rent a studio, or commute room in someone else's home, near campus for days when you'll need to be there early, or you're too tired to make the commute home?

Good idea! Another one is similar, but to rent a place close to family so when you or your spouse is too tired to cook/clean, you can fall back on your family.

I've definitely considered this as an option, just not sure how to approach it. Splitting costs with another Roomate or two would be ideal, I think? Otherwise I'd be defeating the purpose of living with family in the first place if I have to pay the sole rent to boot. On the other hand, not sure if that would be practical having roommates and me just showing up and acting like I own the place, even if I do pay some rent? If I'm able to grasp the schedule and predict which days I'm showing up, that may help I suppose. The thought of med school feels like mass chaos with no guidance, although I hope that's not the case.

Members don't see this ad :)
@bommer1389 re: not sure how to approach it - you could get roommates, and if you're paying your full share of rent, I think you can show up when you want, within the bounds of courtesy, e.g., try not to show up in the middle of the night all the time, or unexpectedly every time. But texting ahead on the day of would be fine, imho. Or, you could rent a straight-up "commuter room" in someone else's home, where it's understood that it's their home to maintain, and you are paying just for the room and are responsible for your space only. Ideal would be a basement room with a separate entrance or an inlaw unit or something like that. Or maybe AirBnB, or vrbo, or even a hotel? I guess it depends on how often you think you'd be there versus at home, whether you need to leave clothes and toiletries there so you're not lugging them back and forth all the time, etc.

I can understand feeling overwhelmed with decisions. Try not to overthink it though. Whichever direction you end up going, you'll figure out how to make it work for you, and if it doesn't, then you'll figure out a way to pivot. Remember - there is magic in action. Maybe look around for a commuter room or shared situation to see what your options are, and go for what feels right after you have more tangible information to work with. Make a decision well before school starts and get settled in, then try not to let it distract you. Give it one semester, then re-evaluate.

My two cents. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm married and have kids and I commute ~40 min as a 4th year and I don't mind it at all. Even during surgery/OB I would get home late and have to wake up early, but so what? It's two months out of a whole year. Waking up at 4:30 vs 5:00 makes no difference in a ****ty schedule. The idea of having to live close to school is so overblown in my opinion. Living in a nice place in the suburbs was the best thing I could do for my family and we're much happier than we were during first year living near school in a ****ty little apartment.