35 MCAT, 3.2 cgpa, 3.35 sgpa, Columbia undergrad, M.S. in Medical Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaopal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
NY resident. Masters also from Columbia engineering.

chances? and if any, which schools would you recommend i focus on

Members don't see this ad.

Based on stats alone, you should have a chance at the SUNYs and low tier OOS and private schools (i.e. NYMC, Albany, Penn State, Quinnipiac, etc.)

However, are you URM? and what are your ECs like? do you have publications from research, non-profit work, alot of volunteering? Was your MS a thesis-based degree? These things can improve your chances for mid tiers. A solid research background and URM status could put you into play for some top tiers.

thanks for the response. I am East Asian

I definitely have an understanding that I dont have much chance at top tiers and therefore am aiming at mid to low tier schools.

My EC's aren't very traditional: not too much research atleast in medicine- instead i have 2 patents under my name for medical devices and was a co-founder for a medical information technology company during the early years of my undergrad.

my undergraduate major was industrial engineering: operations research.

and I have clinical volunteering hours/shadowing

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the response. I am East Asian

I definitely have an understanding that I dont have much chance at top tiers and therefore am aiming at mid to low tier schools.

My EC's aren't very traditional: not too much research atleast in medicine- instead i have 2 patents under my name for medical devices and was a co-founder for a medical information technology company during the early years of my undergrad.

my undergraduate major was industrial engineering: operations research.

and I have clinical volunteering hours/shadowing

patents are a plus, but the azn background may hurt. if u have a sharp upward trend in gpa, ur chances improve. Still, try low tiers and sprinkle in a few mid tiers and maybe one or two top 20 schools if u can afford it.